Star Wars The Complete Saga (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

I was just going to say the same thing about the video quality in ROTJ. It was very soft compared to A New Hope and Empire, both of which looked borderline amazing IMO. Some shots were soft; others extremely shard and detailed... but soft for the most part.

It's been a very long time since I've viewed the dvd version, and several months since I've viewed the HBO HD version that I have recorded. So my only real comparison is to Eps. VI and V to which I don't feel it did compare. I just would have thought that Ep. VI would look the best of the three being the newest. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me or some odd technical glitch that I was encountering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wonder why they re-encoded it in 6.1 instead of 7.1?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

I was just going to say the same thing about the video quality in ROTJ. It was very soft compared to A New Hope and Empire, both of which looked borderline amazing IMO. Some shots were soft; others extremely shard and detailed... but soft for the most part.

Every version of the trilogies I've owned has been this way, with the best picture quality in originals going to "A New Hope". Mabe over the years the hardest work in restoration has been on the 1st.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Interesting how many of us were 7 in 77. Add another.

Not me (I was 22).

Now I'm a fat old fart and still adore the original trilogy as much as the day(s) that they were released.

I've only watched ANH of the new BR release so far, and was disappointed with the dialogue sound quality. Gonna have to make some speaker level adjustments next time . . .

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Ok, so I've viewed the OT finishing with Return of the Jedi last night. Generally speaking I think I'd agree with Ralph's review with the points that I would disagree with coming down to more of a personal preference or interpretation of material. The one issue I have, assuming it's actually an issue to begin with, is I felt Return of the Jedi's video quality to be the worst of the three by a pretty good margin. Sure there were some "relatively pristine" shots during the last half hour or so but I just really felt like things weren't very sharp and detailed or even clear in many cases. This was pretty much from the beginning of the film. Is it just me?

Personel preference, I thought Return of the Jedi looked stunning.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Personel preference, I thought Return of the Jedi looked stunning.

Jeff

Better than ANH or ESB?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i was almost 8 in 1977, and went to a theater to stand in a LONG line that wrapped around the buliding to see a new movie with my family that didn't sound all that interesting to me. it was one of the few 70mm theaters in the country, and i didn't appreciate that until later in life.

that movie changed my life. period.

i bought them on VHS. i bought them on laserdisc. i bought them on DVD. and, now, finally, i have them on blu-ray. just the RUMOR that these movies would one day be released in hi-def prompted me to buy my beloved PS3 a little over 3 years ago.

my daughter is 7, and inherited my love of star wars (and then some!). over the past couple of years, we have watched all 6 movies, and all episodes of the clone wars TV show (and the theatrical release), over. and over. and over. and over. i've loved everything star wars since that first day the star destroyer flew over my head and blew me away.

now, 35 years later, i see this entire universe of movies and tv shows through her eyes, and i guess i 'get' it. i'll go to my grave saying 'Han shot first!', but i understand that the movies are aimed at the me of 35 years ago, not the me of today. i'm grateful to mr. lucas for providing a conduit for me and my daughter to bond and enjoy something equally, a bond we will probably carry throughout our lives.

having watched the movies so MANY times the past couple of years (usually 2 a week, she picks at random), i could see and hear all the differences, and i am completely and totally thrilled to have these films on blu-ray. the pod race scene has always been a favorite, but now it absolutely brings down the house as my THT sub threatens to blow the windows out of the living room.

one change i do applaud is the replacement of puppet yoda with CGI yoda in the phantom menace. i always hated the facial features and over-emphasized lips on episode 1 yoda, and i greatly prefer the new and improved version.

all in all, these are the movies that got me into home theater in the first place, and i love them as much now as i did back then. maybe more. i saw all the original trilogy films in the same 70mm theater, and to me, they have never looked or sounded as good as those experiences, until now.

Chimpuat

Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

[/quote] i'll go to my grave saying 'Han shot first!', [/quote]

Everybody who saw the movie in 1977 should get on their headstone...."BTW, Han shot first!". LOL!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

attachment.php?attachmentid=219289&d=1312553384
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

"A long time ago in a galaxy far far away…"

Actually there is a , after far & 4 .... after away.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished Phantom Menace. Wow! Blu-Ray! Star Wars! Can't imagine what it will look like when I get to Revenge of the Sith. This set was a bday gift from my girl. Think I'm gonna have her baby!
Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Better than ANH or ESB?

All three looked excellent, but just finished watching Return of the Jedi again and the detail looks amazing, will watch the 1st 2 again over the weekend to compare.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 AM

Liked: 10
Watched them all. The audio and video quality is fantastic. Though I can't stand the DNR on phantom menace. I'd have rather had the grain and have it resemble the original trilogy rather than attack of the clones or revenge of the sith. It is too washed out, with soft colors and blurry features. How a 1999 film can end up looking worse than films that came out in the late 70's or early 80's is beyond me.

Didn't mind most of the changes, but I sincerely hope George Lucas removes the part of Han stepping on Jabba's tail. When we first watched Star Wars, we did not know who Jabba was. I thought he was some ridiculously powerful warlord and people would tremble at disappointing him. The added scene in the special edition basically turns him into a simple thug that does not care if you step on his tail. Greedo still shoots first but it isn't so bad this time, almost instantaneous. It still needs to be fixed however. The Vader saying "Nooo, NOOOOOOOOO!!" is pathetic. Not only does it sound ridiculous and awkward, but quiet sacrifice is what made Vader redeemable. Not to mention that a sith lord like Palpatine didn't fathom Vader would do it. Now you have him crying for like 5-10 seconds and you'd think the Emperor would hear or something. Just sounds bad.

I don't mind changes such as fixing landscapes, adding windows on Bespin, colors of lightsabers, or even blinking ewoks, but changing character development is bad.

That said, this is a great set and a must own for any Star Wars fan. i doubt there will be any re-release for at least the next 4-5 years. Let's hope we get all new masters for the next round. Maybe new 4k or 8k masters.

Another thing people need to remember, there is a difference in taste between those who grew up in the late 80's or 90's versus the 60's or 70's when it comes to Star Wars. This was evident when my 12 year old cousin asked why the original trilogy had such bad "costumes, poor special effects, etc" and he wished it could be more action packed like episode III. He actually likes Jar Jar Binks more than Chewbacca which made me weep a little.

Great review though Ralph, but I believe the audio deserves a perfect 100. It is just amazing and John Williams' scores really make Star Wars the unbelievable films they are.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness View Post

Watched them all. The audio and video quality is fantastic. Though I can't stand the DNR on phantom menace. I'd have rather had the grain and have it resemble the original trilogy rather than attack of the clones or revenge of the sith. It is too washed out, with soft colors and blurry features. How a 1999 film can end up looking worse than films that came out in the late 70's or early 80's is beyond me.

Didn't mind most of the changes, but I sincerely hope George Lucas removes the part of Han stepping on Jabba's tail. When we first watched Star Wars, we did not know who Jabba was. I thought he was some ridiculously powerful warlord and people would tremble at disappointing him. The added scene in the special edition basically turns him into a simple thug that does not care if you step on his tail. Greedo still shoots first but it isn't so bad this time, almost instantaneous. It still needs to be fixed however. The Vader saying "Nooo, NOOOOOOOOO!!" is pathetic. Not only does it sound ridiculous and awkward, but quiet sacrifice is what made Vader redeemable. Not to mention that a sith lord like Palpatine didn't fathom Vader would do it. Now you have him crying for like 5-10 seconds and you'd think the Emperor would hear or something. Just sounds bad.

I don't mind changes such as fixing landscapes, adding windows on Bespin, colors of lightsabers, or even blinking ewoks, but changing character development is bad.

That said, this is a great set and a must own for any Star Wars fan. i doubt there will be any re-release for at least the next 4-5 years. Let's hope we get all new masters for the next round. Maybe new 4k or 8k masters.

Another thing people need to remember, there is a difference in taste between those who grew up in the late 80's or 90's versus the 60's or 70's when it comes to Star Wars. This was evident when my 12 year old cousin asked why the original trilogy had such bad "costumes, poor special effects, etc" and he wished it could be more action packed like episode III. He actually likes Jar Jar Binks more than Chewbacca which made me weep a little.

Great review though Ralph, but I believe the audio deserves a perfect 100. It is just amazing and John Williams' scores really make Star Wars the unbelievable films they are.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/impressions The_Madness.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 AM

Liked: 12
Han never shot first. He shot only.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I, too, was raised on Star Wars. Huge fan. However, it has been about 10 years since I've seen any of the originals. Therefore, I'm not picking up on any of the changes this go round. Fortunate! Ignorant and loving it!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else feels this is the best DTS HD Master recording to date After viewing many Blu-Ray movies and not to knock any that where well done. The Ability to get more volume range out of these sounds tracks reminds me of the standard on DVD ( dolby digital and dts) seemed more uniform from disc to disc. At first the decreased volume had me concerned but when I began to approach the home THX 0 reference standard of old the sound was breath taking. For me this is Dynamic Range and the first accurate DTS HD transfer for home and should have scored a 100 for audio
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Anyone else feels this is the best DTS HD Master recording to date After viewing many Blu-Ray movies and not to knock any that where well done. The Ability to get more volume range out of these sounds tracks reminds me of the standard on DVD ( dolby digital and dts) seemed more uniform from disc to disc. At first the decreased volume had me concerned but when I began to approach the home THX 0 reference standard of old the sound was breath taking. For me this is Dynamic Range and the first accurate DTS HD transfer for home and should have scored a 100 for audio

Interestingly, I had this same thought while watching Sith last night. I felt not only does it sound great in a natural way, but the use of surrounds is completely immersive and dialogue is crystal clear. I simply appreciate the fact that I don't have to "push my system harder" to hear this movie. From 8.5 feet away I can keep things comfortable and still hear every detail convincingly.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness View Post

Another thing people need to remember, there is a difference in taste between those who grew up in the late 80's or 90's versus the 60's or 70's when it comes to Star Wars.

It's been interesting reading the thoughts of those who are 20+ years younger than myself. Though I've never been an actual SW junkie, I am a sci-fi fan and just happened to be in LA when the original SW debuted and have seen all of them in the theater. My kids grew up with the original trilogy on VHS and bought the action figures etc. Then we would watch each DVD before going to the theater to see the next release in the prequel trilogy. That's pretty much the last time I watched any of the prequel DVD's, until the DVD release of IV-VI, which I think we also watched once... just so you know where I'm coming from.

Originally I had pre-ordered the original trilogy when the BD set was announced but ultimately ended up buying the entire 9 disc set. I have to say that this is the best they have ever looked or sounded, even in the theater. The orchestral pieces sometimes sound harsh and tinny but one has to remember the limitations of the recording technology of that era.

Overall I feel much more comfortable shelling out $80 for this set than I did for the somewhat disappointing Alien Quad and hope that the upcoming Jurassic Park trilogy is equally if not even more impressive. Also I tend to agree with The_Madness regarding Lucas's changes. They are off-putting because we are still unaccustomed to seeing them that way. Younger viewers will just come to know them that way. When listening to CD's I still expect to hear pops where I had always heard them on the LP (you all know what an LP is, don't you? )

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just got done watching all 6 movies. Best video goes to RotS and best audio is a tie between TPM and AotC. The original trilogy had decent video, but new 4k scans would have been nice. The original trilogy mostly sounded great but harshness in instruments and voices stood out. Anyone hear some distortion in the their rear speakers diluting the explosion of the Death Star in RotJ? As the sound moves from front to back in the explosion, I could hear a faint crackling in both my left and right rear speakers. Probably nothing, but I'm curious as to if this is present in other systems.

fdsfds
Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

The last time I was watching with my kids, we left off during the middle of Attack of the Clones, when Anakin is rolling in the hay with Padme. So, we picked up right where left off, but made the jump to Blu-ray. The difference was very noticeable. The sound field was robust and the detail and depth of the picture quality did not disappoint.

I jumped over Revenge of the Sith, because the descent to the dark side is too much for my kids, so we plunged into A New Hope. As the opening scene starts, my heart was racing like a kid. The new 1080p picture was amazing. You could see things, like random hair standing up due to static electricity on the set, that you could never see before. Yet, all that I remember about the original movie was there. All the one liners, all the facial expressions, the affection between the characters, the banter, the arguments, all were there. I was awash in forgiveness for Lucas' minor tweakings. Suddenly, I felt just how this series made me feel back in 1978 and beyond, like I was travelling to a distant galaxy and hanging out with the coolest kids on the block. Familiar yet distant.

I was particularly blown away by the scene in the X wing hangar before take off. You really feel the impact that using real life sized models had on the realistic feel of the first film. This is where the CGI that Lucas became so fond of disappoints. The heft of those models, made of real metal and clearly an effort to lift off the ground, really conveys a sense of realism that the later prequel trilogy lacked and which is rendered so beautifully on Blu Ray. You can see the depth of the set, with real humans getting the X wing fighters ready for the battle ahead. Later, their faces and personalities come through and really make you care and feel pain when they get shot down and die. This is a dimension to the Star Wars franchise that got increasingly lost as the series wore on.

On blu ray, I fell in love with the original Star Wars movie (later dubbed A New Hope) all over again. I can't wait to see Empire Strikes Back!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

Han never shot first. He shot only.

Bingo. Han shot only. Greedo never even had a chance. Still self defense, as Han knew Greedo could shoot him at any moment.

I used to care alot about that, but now I just focus on the other 99% of the movie, which is still nearly identical to the original, so who cares.

Star Wars never looked soooo good.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just a couple of strange observations that play out by watching in chronological order (my first time doing this).

Sith is used probably 100 times in I-III but never referenced in IV-VI.
In Ep. IV Leia talks to Luke about remembering Padme but in Ep. III Padme died at child birth.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Just a couple of strange observations that play out by watching in chronological order (my first time doing this).

Sith is used probably 100 times in I-III but never referenced in IV-VI.
In Ep. IV Leia talks to Luke about remembering Padme but in Ep. III Padme died at child birth.

Ahh, not that I'm one to really "disect" these movies this way but I did notice this as well. I look at it as the reference to "Sith", or lack thereof, is more because in the PT timeframe the Sith were a notable adversary to the Jedi who were in fact "clouding" the Jedi's vision. In the OT the Jedi were all but extinct, certainly out of power so there wasn't really anyone to reference "Sith". And everyone saw, viewed, feared, acknowledged the Empire as a whole and didn't really consider it was the Sith behind it.

As far as Leia is concerned, remember, the Force is strong in her as well (one would assume because it's more fun that way). So the "images" of Padme were more like visions through the Force. It all works for me anyway. I'm a child of the 70's and 80's so my imagination is still very much in tact.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think you mean the conversation about their mother took place in VI not IV. But it is among several inconsistencies that Lucas couldn't work around when he made the prequels.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just finished my second this go round...Ep II. Watching chronologically. I am becoming a fan of I-III. I'm enjoying much more than I have previously. Blown away by the production quality, and for some reason paying better attention to the story. Side note: my kids know every single turn in the story, but not from the movies...they knew the Lego video games first. SW was a video game turned to movies for them.

Some fantastic reading in recent posts! Thanks guys. Thanks Mr. Lucas for a lifetime bond that bridges three generations in my family. My Dad is now out of town, but next time he visits, we'll get all three generations together for a marathon!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Just finished my second this go round...Ep II. Watching chronologically. I am becoming a fan of I-III. I'm enjoying much more than I have previously. Blown away by the production quality, and for some reason paying better attention to the story. Side note: my kids know every single turn in the story, but not from the movies...they knew the Lego video games first. SW was a video game turned to movies for them.

Some fantastic reading in recent posts! Thanks guys. Thanks Mr. Lucas for a lifetime bond that bridges three generations in my family. My Dad is now out of town, but next time he visits, we'll get all three generations together for a marathon!

You know, a lot of people are saying they're warming up to Eps. I-III. I remember being somewhat disappointed when they were released in the theater although I didn't want to admit it. And when the dvd's came out it was more about having a complete collection in a digital format than anything else just because I'm such a huge fan. But with the BD release I see it a little bit differently also. Perhaps because my expectations have waned. Going into the theater I was carrying what I thought it was going to be like based on what I remembered and experienced from the OT in the 70's and 80's. Now, I think I've just kind of accepted it as it is and enjoy them that way and like you, with my kids.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, a lot of people are saying they're warming up to Eps. I-III. I remember being somewhat disappointed when they were released in the theater although I didn't want to admit it. And when the dvd's came out it was more about having a complete collection in a digital format than anything else just because I'm such a huge fan. But with the BD release I see it a little bit differently also. Perhaps because my expectations have waned. Going into the theater I was carrying what I thought it was going to be like based on what I remembered and experienced from the OT in the 70's and 80's. Now, I think I've just kind of accepted it as it is and enjoy them that way and like you, with my kids.

Finaly good to hear people let go of such high expectations and enjoy StarWars again! I've loved them all, some more than others of course!The cool thing is after watching all but ROTS (maby tonite). That feeling its over , what do we do now is returning. Yep! 8 all over again and lovin it
Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Love the looks of this Blu-Ray. Extras are amazing as well. Great job all around,
Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Finaly good to hear people let go of such high expectations and enjoy StarWars again! I've loved them all, some more than others of course!The cool thing is after watching all but ROTS (maby tonite). That feeling its over , what do we do now is returning. Yep! 8 all over again and lovin it

Well, I still have the extras to go through so that will take some time. Also, I watched them in release order so maybe after a month or so (if I can wait that long) I'll go back and watch them in chronological order.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos777 View Post

Bingo. Han shot only. Greedo never even had a chance. Still self defense, as Han knew Greedo could shoot him at any moment.

Lucas's justification for the change was that he was uncomfortable with Han Solo as a hero murdering someone in cold blood. Lucas seems to forget that an audience viewing it for the first time doesn't know Han was a hero. Having him dispatch Greedo like that adds dramatic tension, as Luke and Ben just handed their lives over to this morally questionable person who "drops his cargo at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser". The whole point of Han's character is that he was a somewhat amoral loner only out for himself who, at the end, decided to make a moral stand and fight the empire. Removing that shading undercuts his arc.

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Wars The Complete Saga Episodes I Vi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com