Star Wars The Complete Saga (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #151 of 187 Old 11-21-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I just finished watching one of the weaker installment episode one, and I must say that I am extemely impressed with both the picture and sound. I was so impressed that I thought perhaps this may be the best blu-ray in my collection. The picture and sound is so involving, I have to believe this is the best blu-ray to date.

Go rent Transformers Dark of the Moon. That is the best picture/sound quality BD I have seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 187 Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Story of #4 was great but the PQ cannot match #2. I saw some snow or digital artifacts during the opening 10 minutes when Luck was out in the snow (no pun intended). Was it me or the disk? Audio was much better than previous release.
post #153 of 187 Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Go rent Transformers Dark of the Moon. That is the best picture/sound quality BD I have seen.

Sorry! Just finished Revenge of the Sith last night and as it stands in my collection (Transformers included) It's now the top dog From the opening seen Iv'e never been so taken into a movie at home as this. I've watched the dvd version for years but this was a substantial leap in sound and picture, at first I thought it was just me but the wife said the same
post #154 of 187 Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Perfection with a few exceptions
a) Where are the deleted scenes from the DVDs of 1-3?
b) Why didn't they just put in the Yoda arrives on Dagoba scene in 3?
c) NO "Original" versions of 4-6? SD anamorphic would be sufficient.
post #155 of 187 Old 01-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This box set is immensely entertaining.

Having said that, I've read the criticism on fan sites such as 'save star wars' and the like, and their criticisms are absolutely valid:

1. all SW films are now digitally mastered in 1080; anyone with foresight would question this decision with 4K and 8K on the horizon.

2. the crushed blacks and the dark, bluish whites in Ep 4 are totally unacceptable and unnecessary.

3. It's hypocritical to tell fans to 'grow up' and accept the revisions when Lucas himself was an outspoken critic of alteration of classics and advocated preservation of films exactly as they were made, i.e., without color, digital characters and elements added ex post facto, and so on.

Personally, I watched the 'original' versions of 4-6 on dvd, and the whites and blacks look beautiful. On top of that the rebel attack on the death star, sans CGI, is still a work of art.

I am completely sympathetic with the fanboys who want to see the original version without all of the extraneous CGI revisions. The original version truly is best.
post #156 of 187 Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I just watched A New Hope tonight and I must say that while the video looked pretty good, the audio was disappointing. The sound effects seemed a bit muddled and weak. It just wasn't CLEAN. Hopefully Empire will be better.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #157 of 187 Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

I strongly disagree. I put The Dark Knight and Avatar way ahead

Home Theater Aficionado
post #158 of 187 Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone measured the sound from these disks? We watched a New Hope last night and I was struck by the effect of Darth Vader using the force to choke the man in the meeting for mocking the power of the force. My subwoofer was shaking the room at that point so I was wondering what Hz the sound was from the "force"

If anyone has measured that I would be curious what the reading was.

post #159 of 187 Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post

I strongly disagree. I put The Dark Knight and Avatar way ahead

I need to add my opinion here....I LOVE the Star Wars films but Transformers: Dark of the Moon was the best audio experience I have ever had in my theater....hands down. I could not believe how powerful and dynamic the sound was in that movie. It constantly had me saying to myself "WOW". I'm not a big Transformers fan but the sound in that last movie made me place an order to Amazon.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #160 of 187 Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

You are entitled to your opinion but you sound ignorant to say they were never really taken seriously when released. The original trilogy changed science fiction movies forever.

The original movie changed things, much more so than the next two. I saw Star Wars in the producer's studio theater before release...one of the high points of my "life". Cheesy, and with George's very limited range, but awesome nonetheless...

That Philip K. Dick's works have been made into several movies now is far more significant than Lucas as far as how science fiction and movies have evolved IMHO. Lucas is a dweeb when it comes to actual science fiction, but a very successful one and one that finally opened more serious options to serious science fiction. Otherwise embarassing to the genre as George is just not that good at it...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #161 of 187 Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The original movie changed things, much more so than the next two. I saw Star Wars in the producer's studio theater before release...one of the high points of my "life". Cheesy, and with George's very limited range, but awesome nonetheless...

That Philip K. Dick's works have been made into several movies now is far more significant than Lucas as far as how science fiction and movies have evolved IMHO. Lucas is a dweeb when it comes to actual science fiction, but a very successful one and one that finally opened more serious options to serious science fiction. Otherwise embarassing to the genre as George is just not that good at it...

Very well said.

Kaboom.
post #162 of 187 Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 120
For those interested and aren't already aware, there is a small spot on MSNBC.com on Jake Lloyd and how EPI made his life a living hell.
post #163 of 187 Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

For those interested and aren't already aware, there is a small spot on MSNBC.com on Jake Lloyd and how EPI made his life a living hell.

I totally believe that. The lunatic fringe of this franchise is pretty scary. I only wish their mother's would lock the basement door to keep them out of society.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #164 of 187 Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM

My wife picked this up for me when I was sick with pneumonia which actually made me feel a little better or maybe the meds kicked in right then. Enjoyed re-watching A New Hope, but haven`t had time to watch the rest.

Anyone have thoughts on how old a kid should be before watching the SW Saga??
post #165 of 187 Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
At least 7 or 8.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #166 of 187 Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My wife just got these for me for my birthday. I have to say these look and sound great so far. i have watched new hope and empire strikes back so far and
i am really impressed how good these look for how old they are. Audio is HOT.

great collection, can't wait to enjoy all of these again whenever I want
post #167 of 187 Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

My wife just got these for me for my birthday. I have to say these look and sound great so far. i have watched new hope and empire strikes back so far and
i am really impressed how good these look for how old they are. Audio is HOT.

great collection, can't wait to enjoy all of these again whenever I want

Greetings,

Glad to hear you're enjoying SW on Blu-ray!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #168 of 187 Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Glad to hear you're enjoying SW on Blu-ray!

Regards,

Even thought I don't like the changes, Star Wars never looked or sounded better. Will look great on a new Panasonic ST50 or any new Panasonic 2012 plasma.
post #169 of 187 Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 AM

As anyone heard if the Star Wars movies will be released individually ? I am only interested in 3 of the movies.
post #170 of 187 Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

As anyone heard if the Star Wars movies will be released individually ? I am only interested in 3 of the movies.

Greetings,

I haven't seen anything yet regarding individual releases on Blu-ray. I will be sure to post here in the review forum if I do.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #171 of 187 Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great Review Ralph. I received this set last week, ordered it after watching parts of a Spike HD Star Wars marathon and decided to order the set. Agree with Amazing picture quality but I found the audio tracks to be even more outstanding. Personally I'd rate each one 100 except ROTJ where I had to raise the volume in some dialog scenes but it would still get 95.
Secondly the great thing about this series is that it made my wife a star wars fan. She loves ROTJ and Darth Vader's redemption.Finally even though my teenage son was familiar with the Star Wars universe through video games (Force unleashed etc) this series was a revelation to him. He repeatedly said "this movie looks a lot better than you'd expect for something shot almost 40 yrs ago" and loved the story arc.
post #172 of 187 Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

Great Review Ralph. I received this set last week, ordered it after watching parts of a Spike HD Star Wars marathon and decided to order the set. Agree with Amazing picture quality but I found the audio tracks to be even more outstanding. Personally I'd rate each one 100 except ROTJ where I had to raise the volume in some dialog scenes but it would still get 95.
Secondly the great thing about this series is that it made my wife a star wars fan. She loves ROTJ and Darth Vader's redemption.Finally even though my teenage son was familiar with the Star Wars universe through video games (Force unleashed etc) this series was a revelation to him. He repeatedly said "this movie looks a lot better than you'd expect for something shot almost 40 yrs ago" and loved the story arc.

Greetings,

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #173 of 187 Old 10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Being that I grew up in the 70's, class of 1980 High School, and bought countless Star Wars versions on VHS, then DVD's and now this Blu-ray set, needless to say I've seen them 100's/200's of times each....so been a while.

Well, with my 11.3 HT set-up "done", decided to watch them in order starting tonight, I thru VI, with my 3 kids ages 11, 9, and 7 of course biggrin.gif
Just to experience them in full 11.3, they are "new" again!

My 4520 DTS Neo:X™ processing did great job up-converting the 6.1 DTS MA to 11.3, truly love the added surround sound experience.
Really, the LFE is quite decent on Episode I - The Phantom Menace, especially the pod sequences.

I found myself also "looking into" scenes, past the main part of the scene at either foreground or background, kinda let the eye wander.

I searched "easter egg" in this thread but nobody posted it, so w/o looking on the broader web here is what I noticed earlier tonight:
This looks like that small dude "Willow" from movie same name, though it's been 1+ year since I saw it via On Demand.
photo%25204.jpg

And these gotta be ET's
photo%25201.jpg

Thoughts?

I'll purposely not search Easter Eggs as I go thru these to see what else I just happen to notice....

btw, I was 14 1/2 in summer of 1977, saw the movie 3 times that summer, bought the comics brand new myself.
Ha, my friends and I were so geeked by the movie we were convinced we could build a blast gun like Han Solo's, really no BS.
So, we went to gas stations and gathered 2 buckets of used lead wheel weights, and then garbage picked at least 4 TV sets.
We began to de-solder all the electronic parts we could, and of course needed the lead wheel weights as thin shielding to mold as alloy for the radiation that our blast gun would emit.
Worked on that for 2-3 weeks, then as I turned 15 and entered High School that fall, cars and girls overtook my desire to build a blast gun rolleyes.gif

Here is a picture Feb-2011, the day I got my iPhone4, and my kids were looking thru my SW comic collection, the very 1st picture taken with that iPhone4 - which I still have and use today.
IMG_0036.jpg
audiofan1 likes this.
post #174 of 187 Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Lol, good eyes, I think your right with both of those pics, I couldn't think of anything else they could be otherwise. Glad to hear the 11.1 is a worthy upgrade, I was pondering this myself, but I've heard now that the atmos might be coming to home theaters, which would be nice as I've always thought having ceiling speakers could enhance the experience, although, I've never been in an atmos theater setup to confirm this. I'll probably have to stick with 11.1 as anything more will be out of my price range.. have you tried any other 5.1 on the system to see how it sounds?
post #175 of 187 Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Yes, that little guy is Warwick Davis from Willow and coincidentally, also played the main Ewok in Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. He's done loads of films over the years, and is absolutely hilarious in Life's Too Short alongside Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #176 of 187 Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

Lol, good eyes, I think your right with both of those pics, I couldn't think of anything else they could be otherwise. Glad to hear the 11.1 is a worthy upgrade, I was pondering this myself, but I've heard now that the atmos might be coming to home theaters, which would be nice as I've always thought having ceiling speakers could enhance the experience, although, I've never been in an atmos theater setup to confirm this. I'll probably have to stick with 11.1 as anything more will be out of my price range.. have you tried any other 5.1 on the system to see how it sounds?

How sure are you about Atmos coming to the home?
post #177 of 187 Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

How sure are you about Atmos coming to the home?

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/technologies/3d-audio/auro-3d/

Something similar to atmos.
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank
post #178 of 187 Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/technologies/3d-audio/auro-3d/

Something similar to atmos.

I kinda thought that might be what he was referring to !
post #179 of 187 Old 12-10-2013, 01:38 AM

Does any know if the montage of the Duel of the Fates is included in this blue ray issue?
post #180 of 187 Old 12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Most recently Lucasfilm's Star Wars youtube channel has issued the same original trilogy and prequel traliers that were used by other Youtubers taken off of the Laserdisc 1993 collection as well as the 2004 reissue and prequel dvd releases. Production on part vii will commence next month for a December 18th, 2015 release (subject to change lol).
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Wars The Complete Saga Episodes I Vi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com