Feature running time: 125/131 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:`
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Kristin Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy, Chris O’Dowd
Directed by: Paul Feig
Music by: Michael Andrews
Written by: Kristin Wiig & Annie Mumolo
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 20, 2011

"A chick flick for everyone"

Film Synopsis:

Thirty-something Annie (Kristen Wiig) has hit a rough patch but finds her life turned completely upside down when she takes on the Maid of Honor role in her best friend Lillian’s (Maya Rudolph) wedding. In way over her head but determined to succeed, Annie leads a hilarious hodgepodge of bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to the big event.

My Take:

Annie's life is a mess. Unluckily in love, unsuccessful in business and barely able to keep her current dead end job she is struggling against the tide of life. When she learns that her lifetime best friend Lillian is engaged, she simply must serve as maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she'll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you'll go for someone you love.

Bridesmaids is a chick/buddy flick co-written by SNL’s Kristin Wiig (who also co-stars) that features a female-centric themed narrative that revolves around the complexities of close friendships taken to the comedic next level. There is poignancy to be found in Annie’s plight as she deals with feelings of jealously, resentment and abandonment in the face of Lillian’s new found friendship with Helen, who obviously has an agenda. Annie is a well drawn character who is easy to empathize with. She is obviously needy but based upon her current love life, failed business and job situation who could blame her. The one thing she could count on, Lillian’s friendship, was now seemingly slipping away. To me this aspect of the story and its development is what separates Bridesmaids from the run of the mill in your face comedies we typically see today. What’s funny is watching the over the top antics that ensue when Annie attempts to one up Helen.

Certainly not meant to be taken literally there is a genuineness that enriches the characters and in turn makes the bluntness of the humor even better. It’s crass and over the top and Kristin Wiig pulls it off so well. I am a big fan and am glad to see her get the opportunity to take the lead in a film that plays to her strengths. The other standout (and requisite scene stealer) is Melissa McCarthy in the role of Megan, the non-conformist amidst the dainty bridesmaids. I got a kick out of the interjected subplot involving Annie and her insensitive “bed buddy” Ted (played by Jon Hamm) but didn’t care so much for the ineffectual romance (and lukewarm chemistry) involving the subplot between Annie and Officer Nathan. At plus two hours (both the theatrical and unrated versions) the movie runs just a little too long. Otherwise there is much to like about Bridesmaids. There is some well derived connective tissue to be found in the sisterly plotline and plenty of laughs to be had as carried out by the persuasive cast. The result is an entertaining and laugh out loud comedy that can be enjoyed by chicks as well as their dates.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong sexuality and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Bridesmaids comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This is a high quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appear better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography. Contrast is dynamic without being overpowering and blacks are respectable in depth with discernible detail visible in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack is on par with the video and sounds full bodied, and articulated. Lossless audio provides the opportunity to thoroughly appreciate the potential inherent in digital movie soundtracks. This presentation delivers crystal clear sound that is rich in sonic detail and effortless dynamics. Excellent tonal balance makes pans across the left, center and right channels appear seamless. Bass reproduction is taut and on occasion exhibits a robust low end. The mix makes frequent use of the surrounds to reproduce the discrete and ambient sounds contained within the soundtrack. I enjoyed the enveloping nature of the audio and felt that the integration between the front and rear soundstages was spot on.

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with Paul Feig, Annie Mumolo, Kristin Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper

• Theatrical & Unrated version of Bridesmaids

• (HD) Gag reel – 9 minutes

• (HD) Line-O-Rama parts 1&2 – 12 minutes

• (HD) Made of honor: Behind the scenes of Bridesmaids – 31 minutes

• (HD) Blind date (2 segments) – 7 minutes

• (HD) Deleted scenes – 9 minutes

• Extended/Alternate scenes – 50 minutes

• (HD) Roommates – Several segments (including deleted/alternate/extended scenes) featuring Gil & Brynn

• (HD) Cholodecki’s- Annie’s place of “employment” – Deleted/Extended/Alternate scenes

• (HD) Drunk-O-Rama – 4 minutes

• (HD) Pep talk (outtakes) – 2 minutes

• (HD) Annie vs. Helen (outtakes) – 7 minutes

• (HD) “Hold On” – By Wilson Phillips

• Bonus DVD of Bridesmaids

• Digital Copy of Bridesmaids

• BD-Live enabled

• pocket BLU

Final Thoughts:

After hearing all the hype about Bridesmaids I must admit that I had my doubts going into this review. After watching it I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I liked the characters, found the story to have good foundation and got a kick out of the crass, over the top humor. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in a well rounded offering that gets excellent marks for audio/video quality while featuring an entertaining assortment of bonus supplements that are worth checking out, especially if you liked the film. When the mood is right this one is lots of fun.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Melissa Mccarthy is also on the sitcom 'Mike & Molly'...it's one of 2 sitcoms I DVR along with 'Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia'. Everyone I know that saw this in the theaters liked it.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait a minute. How does a movie like this get 3 and a half stars and an epic like Star Wars only get 4? This movie was mediocre at best. You take out the fat girl from Mike and Molly and it would have been down right terrible.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This movie is a complete hoot! I'd rank this up along with Hang Over 2 and Hall Pass.

Kristin Wiig was pretty funny. Definitely a must have.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post

Wait a minute. How does a movie like this get 3 and a half stars and an epic like Star Wars only get 4? This movie was mediocre at best. You take out the fat girl from Mike and Molly and it would have been down right terrible.

Greetings,

Firstly, they are two completely different genres. Secondly, my rating for Star Wars was for the 6 films as a whole, not just one. Lastly, referring to Melissa McCarthy as "the fat girl" from Mike and Molly is inappropriate and unneccessary.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #6 of 10 Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Liked: 31
Well... I guess I'll pick this one up, been an expensive 2 months . Thanks
King P....you always come thru .
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Absolutely getting this one for my collection. Very funny, gross at times, and very true (in parts) for today's age of self-pity, poor me attitude.
Over all great movie, have not laughed this hard in a theater for some time.

Beer, num, num, num ...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Kristin Wiig is the only reason I continue to watch SNL. I am looking forward to Bridesmaids.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Never seen it I was told its quite funny so I decided to rent it. Will watch Friday night.

Frank
post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I wanted to watch J Edgar but wife insisted to watch this film and have to admit it was barley ok. The maid in honour, the main actress was very annoying I just couldn't handle her the way she was. The only actress that me laugh was the bride ( groomsmen sister), for me she made me watch it to the end. Oh forgot to mention Rose Byrne is beautiful as ever, much better looking than the bride.

Frank
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page