Studio and Year: Disney - 1991
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 85/92 minutes
Genre: Animation/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH/ESL, French, Spanish
Starring: Voices of: Robby Benson, Paige O'Hara, Angela Lansbury, David Ogden-Stiers, Jerry Orbach, Richard White
Directed by: Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise
Music by: Alan Menken & Howard Ashman
Written by: Linda Woolverton, Roger Allers
Region Code:

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 4, 2011

"A beloved Disney Classic gets the 3D treatment"

Film Synopsis:

Set in and around a quaint French village during the late 18th century, Beauty and the Beast follows the fantastic adventures of Belle, a bright and beautiful young woman who finds escape from her ordinary life, and the advances of a boorish suitor, Gaston, by reading books. Meanwhile, off in a castle in the distance, a cruel young prince is cast under the spell of an enchantress who turns him into a tormented beast, while transforming his servants into animated household objects. In order to remove the curse, the Beast must discover a true love who will return his affection before the last petal falls from an enchanted rose. When Belle's inventor father stumbles upon the Beast's castle and is taken prisoner, Belle comes to the rescue and agrees to take her father's place. With the help of the castle's enchanted staff, she sees beneath the Beast's exterior and discovers the heart and soul of a human prince.

My Take:

I reviewed last year's Beauty and the Beast Diamond Edition release which is the same offering presented here less the 3D Blu-ray and Digital Copy Bonus Disc. Here are my comments from that original review:

I love this film. I haven't seen it in a long time but watching it again brought back wonderful memories of watching it countless times with my kids when they were little. Beauty and the Beast is an enamoring film with incredibly endearing characters and one of the most memorable music scores in film history. It received two Academy Awards for music in 1992, three Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture, Best Original Score and Best Original Song in 1992, and two Grammy Awards in 1993. It is listed as number seven on the American Film Institute's Top 100 Animated Films, and helped define Disney animation for a new generation as the second film in the Disney Animation Renaissance (1989-1999) which launched with The Little Mermaid and revitalized animated features by captivating mature audiences while still delighting young viewers. Walt Disney was truly a pioneer whose vision has brought us some of the most beloved characters (both animated and living) in American cinema. Beauty and the Beast has become a part of our entertainment culture and has been replicated in various forms that are recognizable all over the world. This is a classic that easily stands the test of time and like many of Disney's animated films has touched and will continue to touch generations of viewers. My daughter was quite a fan and loved singing along to the musical numbers. I am sure that my children, like me, will share the experience of Beauty and the Beast with their children when the time comes. What an immeasurable legacy for Disney, which is a class act with an impeccable track record for wonderful family oriented films.

This Diamond Edition home video release of Beauty and the Beast is another example of their long standing dedication to offering quality home video releases. They, like several studios, have shown a fervent commitment to the Blu-ray format. Disney high definition Blu-ray discs have consistently been technically impressive as well as providing worthwhile bonus supplements. I appreciate the attention to detail and implemented features such as their enhanced menu navigation, BD-Live features/interactivity, Movie Rewards, Fast play, the inclusion of a DVD version of the film in the multi-disc Blu-ray release packages, and in this case their Beyond Beauty: The untold stories behind making Beauty and the Beast feature which is innovative and just plain cool. Let's not forget their willingness to digitally restore their films and bring them to life in a way that doesn't negate the original elements. I can't think of a better way to experience them all over again or perhaps for the first time.

This five disc Diamond Edition which comes in a standard Blu-ray amaray case and includes the 3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray, Blu-ray bonus features disc, DVD and Digital Copy. Blu-ray Disc has come a long way in the last year or so. We are beginning to see what the format is capable of and from what I can see Disney is looking toward the future by providing high quality releases that will hopefully solidify the place of this great medium. I am thrilled that this masterpiece has finally arrived in high definition. I can assure you that the wait was well worth it.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Beauty and the Beast comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.7 Mbps.

So far the majority of 3D converted films that have come to Blu-ray have offered satisfying overall 3D quality but it has been rare to find those that would qualify as impressive. After seeing The Lion King's 3D transformation I was figuring on a similar 3D experience. What I got was surprisingly better and resulted in a more visually involving presentation. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or characters layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There are a variety of sequences that provide an enriching sense of onscreen depth as well as those that combine with elements that reach beyond the screen to provide a fun reach out and touch sense of dimensionality. Comparing color reproduction to the 2D presentation I saw no discernible difference. I didn't notice any overtly distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk or 3D related anomalies. I found this to be a noteworthy 3D experience that took an already stellar high definition presentation and made it better.

Disney provides a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix which retains much of the feel of the original soundtrack while adding a bit of polish. This was a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, bass and music that maintains a frontal perspective with discretely placed effects and atmospherics that utilize the entire soundstage. The film's award winning music sounds simply marvelous as the variety of musical numbers take center stage to create an involving surround experience. This isn't a dynamically enhanced mix but bass response is both discerning and appropriate in support of the soundtrack's elements. The audio is crystal clear, free of the edginess and never shows its age which says something for the care that went into the encoding.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Beauty and the Beast comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps.

As I mentioned earlier, I reviewed Beauty and the Beast's Diamond Edition Blu-ray release last year and this offering contains the same high definition video transfer. Here are my comments from that review:

With digital animation taking center stage over the last decade or so it is refreshing to come back to Disney's hand drawn animation. Animation can sometimes be difficult to thoroughly judge when evaluating its video quality. There are aspects shared by both high definition and standard definition in terms of the absence of defining texture and lesser dimensional perspective. Objects in backgrounds are two dimensional which isn't a problem but images can appear to have less depth. I have noticed that with good high definition animated video this is still the case but rendering is notably improved. Such is the case here. Images have excellent visual depth with deep, rich, color fidelity and stable contrast that enhances dimension. I can fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into design of each of the animated characters. Contrast and brightness is stable and strikes a wonderful balance that highlights the multi-layered grays and delineated chromatic elements within the video. This accentuates the varying levels in the light and dark segments visible within the village, forest and interior of the Beast's castle which bolsters dimension. Blacks have excellent depth and dynamic range while falling just shy of the ink like levels of the best discs available in high definition. This is merely an observation and doesn't necessitate a deduction from a superlative and flawless presentation that simply looks stunning.

Bonus Features:

• This is a five disc set that includes three BD-50 Blu-ray discs containing the 3D and high definition versions of the film, bonus features, standard definition DVD and Digital Copy Bonus Disc. Below is a list of the bonus material.

• Special Extended and Theatrical versions of the film

• Storyreel PiP Mode: An enhanced viewing of the theatrical cut in an early version as seen via storyboards, rough cut animation, and preproduction modules

• Audio commentary with Don Hahn, Gary Trousdale, and Kirk Wise

• Sing along mode

• Disney's Fast play

• (HD) Beyond Beauty: The untold stories behind making Beauty and the Beast - This interactive documentary experience takes fans on an in depth journey not only behind the scenes of the production but into the world of Disney. Using the remote and pressing enter when prompted by the appearance of an icon onscreen allows fans to expand areas of the documentary to reveal more about each topic and peeling away layers of additional content which includes Walt's fascination with fairy tales,Kurt Wise/Gary Trousdale short, Broadway's adaptation of the film, deleted scenes, casting, animation/production galleries, history of animation, tribute to Howard Ashman and more

• (HD) Composing a classic: A musical conversation with Alan Menken, Don Hahn, and Richard Kraft - 20 minutes

• (HD) Deleted scene with intro by Roger Allers

• (HD) Alternate opening with intro by Peter Schneider

• (HD) Broadway beginnings - 13 minute featurette

• (HD) Music video - Beauty and the Beast by Jordan Sparks

• Enchanted musical challenge - Quest/trivia game

• Bon Jour who is this? Teleplay game - Secret identity game for 2-8 players

• Classic DVD Features:

1. The story behind the story
    2. Beauty and the Beast music video by Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion
    3. Early presentation reel
    4. Alternate version of Be our guest
    5. Alternate score The transformation
    6. Deleted song
    7. Animation tests
    8. Camera move test
    9. Trailers and TV Spots

• Sneak peeks

• Disney BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

As I reported when I reviewed Beauty and the Beast's Diamond Edition release on Blu-ray a year ago, Disney has done a spectacular job with this beloved classics high definition debut. This release takes it up a notch by adding a terrific 3D presentation that compliments an already stunning Blu-ray transfer and superb supplemental package. Kudos to Disney on a well rounded and fan/family friendly Blu-ray Disc release that presents this wonderful film in its finest light since coming to home video. If you're set up for 3D or may be in the future this set is worth adding to your collection and comes with my highest recommendation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
JVC PK-AG1 3D Glasses
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Highly recommended and 5yr old niece approved!

When will Disney release a BR of Cinderella and Aristocats that is the question.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Wow! 100% for video quality. I can't wait to check this out on Tuesday! I'll be getting this along with Lion King (Best Buy has a discount if you pick up both).

Edit: The 3D version has 5 discs. 3D Blu-ray + 2 Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy. Just like the lion King.

;
;

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
This and the Rescuers Down Under were the first Disney films to be painted by computer, not hand. The original reference cells are actually digital files, so it would make sense that the quality and depth of color is above most animation.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I can't wait to watch the 3D presentation. I already have the 2D BD but it appears this is worth the upgrade. I printed my $5 coupon last night!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have The Lion King ordered and now I'm tempted to add BatB too. Didin't expect a higher 3D rating.

Thanks Ralph, my wallet's not liking you much.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Same here. Another top notch Disney release means yet another addition to my growing collection.

So looking forward to sharing these films with my daughter. She's not there just yet (only 18 months old).

post #8 of 11 Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Best Buy doesn't even have this this movie posted on their website. Odd...

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Just checked this out the other night. I was astounded by how much depth they were able to cram into this thing! It was like the first time I had seen Toy Story, where we went from a flat 2d world to suddenly a 3d one with dimensionality and depth.

That said, these conversions do seem to have one major caveat: objects don't retain their 3D "shape" very well when they move around. The most noticeable example of this that I saw (didn't finish the film) is in the beginning when the "camera" pulls away from the castle. There's a great sense of 3d to the shot but as the castle gets further and further away, its shape elongates from front to back. I don't know if that was intentional or a compromise the 3d conversionists had to make, but it was a bit distracting.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I also just got around to viewing this last night ( in 3d ) and I have to say that this is one of the best 2d to 3d conversions that I have seen. The opening scene with the roses and the waterfall and the castle in the distance was phenomenal in the layering and the feeling you got in moving "into" the film.

Also, the scene with Belle's father locked in the dungeon when she arrives to save him are nothing very special in the regular 2d blu-ray ( or the theater for that matter ), but take on a fantastic sense of depth that adds to the beauty of the artwork. Notice the separation between his arms and the bars of his cell.

Well done.

Jeff
post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 PM

There are indeed significant color differences, though probably not noticeble until you compare them side by side. Though the one difference that need not compared to be noticed are the new blur effects on the 3D version (e.g. Belle's Papa running thru the woods, tree branches)

But if it wasn't for the just-released 3D theatrical trailer, I wouldn't have taken notice at all. I couldn't help but immediately notice not only the background blur effects but that Belle's hair is actually "brown" brown this time, not "red" brown on the 2D blu-ray.

Compare the 3D trailer and pause at 1:12 ...

... with 2010's Diamond Edition at 4:28

While it isn't anything like the laser disc days, the 3D version is much more faithful to the original color palette. I'm so sad to find that only the 3D blu-ray carry these new color/effects.

So for anyone who already owns the 2010 Diamond Edition and misses the original colors, this is the reason to buy it again. If only I have a 3D set up, I'd do the same Also highly doubt Disney's willing to re-release the 2D blu-ray again.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Beauty And The Beast

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page