Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
attachment.php?attachmentid=224242&d=1317565636
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Dimension Films - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 111 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD-MA 5.1
Subtitles: Spanish
Starring: David Arquette , Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox , Hayden Panettiere , Emma Roberts , Rory Culkin , Adam Brody
Directed by: Wes Craven
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: Kevin Williamson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 4, 2011

"New Decade. New Rules."

Film Synopsis:

Ten years have passed, and Sidney Prescott, who has put herself back together thanks in part to her writing, is visited by the Ghostface Killer. Directed by suspense master and director of the first trilogy, Wes Craven, Scream 4 is the newest installment in the acclaimed franchise that ushered in a new wave of horror in the 1990s.

My Take:

Dear Sidney Prescott,

I am writing to let you know that after 15 years you should know that whenever you are in Woodsboro, someone with put on the infamous Ghost Face mask and start stabbing innocent teenagers. The poor town needs a break as it is losing its best looking talent at too young an age.

This poses some hard questions.

Why must you come back? -- I got it, so we can have another Scream flick.

Why doesn't Ghost Face kill the uglier portion of the teenage population? -- Who will pay to see them die? Yuck!

And most Importantly, Do you like scary movies?

Ill answer the last one. YES I do. I love em. However, I am a sucker for an original idea. Too bad the modern horror genre is plagued with soulless remakes and uninspired sequels. Wes Craven (A Nightmare on Elm St., Last House On The Left) and Kevin Williamson (Scream, Dawson's Creek) deliver a technically proficient updated rehash of the 90's horror franchise by adding in a few more self deprecating jokes, some webcams and a new twist ending. Besides that it's just the same ol' Scream. If I had reviewed any of the other 3 films in the franchise I could pretty much copy and past my thoughts, sort of like Director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson did with the story.

In "Scream 4" AKA "Scre4m" (ya know for those l33t haX0rZ), Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), travels back to her hometown of Woodsboro on the last stop of her self-help book tour. Of course when she arrives the killings start up, again. We reunite with Sheriff Dewey (David Arquette) and Gale (Courteney Cox), as well as meet her cousin Jill (Emma Roberts) and friends (Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin, Adam Brody). Ghost Face has a new grudge, a new face under the mask and a few new rules. Some of the kills were brutally fun, and Ghost Face was no joke here. One thing of note is that if you have yet to see any Scream flicks, this one would be decent as a stand alone and it sure was better than the abysmal part 3! There is not much to say other than if you love the franchise you will dig this. If you have no tolerance for a complete rehash offering nothing new or exciting, you will be annoyed.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some teen drinking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373696

"Scre4m" stabs its way to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment & Starz featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34.8 mbps and DTS-HD MA sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps

As lackluster as I felt about reliving the same old movie, "Scre4m's" A/V presentation made me giddy, as it looks awesome. I couldn't find any faults other then a few scenes where it showed overblown whites which looked like a design choice, not an encoding issue. All the cards lined up to give "Scre4m" a depth only the best Blu-ray's can achieve. Black levels are of the highest order, and really show command as they never fold in the films many dark scenes, always showing perfection in shadow details. Speaking of details, I dare you to find a soft shot that doest show details in faces, fabrics or anything else on screen. Colors looked naturally warm and pop off the screen. The DTS-HD MA track is also a winner. As any good horror flick should have, "Scre4m's" sound-stage has the ability to frighten you with a creak from behind, the hi-end clank of a knife slicing through the air and ear piercingly loud screams that never fold or distort. Low end digs deep, never sounding floppy, and dialogue is always placed properly in the front sound-stage. This is one gorgeous release Anchor Bay!

Bonus Features:

• Feature Commentary With Director Wes Craven And Cast Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere And Neve Campbell

• (HD) The Making Of Scream 4

• (HD) Extended Ending

• (HD) Gag Reel

• (HD) Deleted and Extended Scenes

• (HD) Previews: The Zombie Diaries 2, Children of the Corn: Genesis, The Scream Trilogy

• DVD Copy

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

There is not much to say about "Scre4m" other than if you love the franchise you will dig this. If you have no tolerance for a complete rehash offering nothing new or exciting, you will be annoyed. Thankfully Anchor Bay treats us to amazing Audio and Video, making the uninspired sequel super fun to look at. The release contains 45 minutes of extra footage as well as a commentary track that I found myself bored while trying to get through. If you buy based on A/V grab this baby, but I really suggest a rental to all other interested parties.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)
2 Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lee...thanks. Love the "SCREAM" franchise. Sounds like this one is a definite buy!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like this movie. It is somewhat bizzare and starnge.

It was screaming with my new HTiB.

Can always see more of Courtney Cox. I think David is with him in the movie.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Cool. With those A/V marks, I just put this in the que!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HHmmmm....
post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I don't watch movies for PQ/SQ .. those things are just bonuses if done well ..

I do watch movies for plots / characters .. and on that count, it gets a passing grade ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I enjoyed this one--pretty much on par with the other three in the franchise. Not my favorite franchise but enjoyable none the less--and I do own all four. Additionally I am a Emma Roberts fan so it was nice to see her handle this interesting role--I thought she did a great job!

Bob

post #8 of 8 Old 11-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Just watched this last night and the overblown whites were very distracting. I tried changing contrast and brightness but nothing helped. Bright colors seemed to bleed in any daylight scene almost like the picture was out of focus. I have never seen another movie look this way so if it was intential I did not like the style.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Scream 4 Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page