post #31 of 38 Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

I've been a fan of The Fountain for a while now, and recently started seeing comparisons of it to The Tree of Life. Being that The Fountain is most likely my number 1 movie, I figured I'd give this a shot.

The Tree of Life was amazing. Great picture, beautiful scenes, and a powerful audio track to go with it. It felt like this movie followed my life exactly. For some reason, even the parts of the movie that never truly happened in my life, suddenly felt like they did. Very good movie, and I truly feel sympathy for anyone who can't get anything out of this movie.

After watching it though, I feel that the two movies are in different categories, and can't be compared. The Tree of Life was great, and I conisider it to be one of the best non-animated pictures I've seen so far.

I found your post interesting because I too am a fan of The Fountain, but like you I, too, found that the two movies are indeed different in categories and can't be compared. Yes, The Tree Of Life is great artistic filmmaking and one that I'm sure will be discussed by film lovers and critics for years to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 PM

I've found this disk to be stunning, however, it seems like I'm not getting any perceptible sound in my surrounds in DTS-MA mode. During the menu I can hear the surrounds but when the film plays I don't seem to - even when I stand up on a chair and practically press my ear to my ceiling mounted surround speakers.

THAT SAID - the sound is amazingly clear with depth that extends very far into the room. When I compare it to the standard surround tracks (I can hear sound coming out of the surrounds in that mode) the DTS-MA tracks is still far more preferable. (It's so spacious and clean in DTS-MA.) The LFE is amazing. BTW - I'm running an OPPO BDP-83 down-mixed to 5.1 into the analog ins of my B&K 507. I've wondered if it's possible that this is the way the DTS-MA is designed??? I've not had this issue with other Blu-rays. Any thoughts?
post #33 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just finished watching this one.
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a more pretentious movie than this one.
The whispered voiceovers and the random camera pans of anything from a tree, to a house, to a stream, to even a blue wall....I found it all mind bogglingly dull.
I do have to give credit where credit is due...the cinematography was pretty gorgeous at times (even though it made for a bore of a movie), and the bluray pq was pretty amazing.
post #34 of 38 Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I usually don't comment on a Movie- i watch all genres... 1-2 movies a week.
"no cable". We could not get through this movie, might give it a 2nd chance, or I will send it back to NF tomorrow. However, found it - of not really that interesting.

Through,, it is very interesting that many here others -Love it or are Bored by it i'm in latter.
It's one of the few movies we have watched- even B- Sci-Fi-, that we looked at each other a said- let's just go to bed.....

And liked- The Fountain
post #35 of 38 Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I really enjoyed this movie. Very different/unusual and is very open to interpretation as far as your own life goes which is what was so great about it to me. This is the type of film that everyone will get something different out of if you enjoy it in the first place. Having said that, I can certainly understand how some people did not like it and could not get into it. Very interesting movie though.

As far as the video goes, holy $hit! Easily in the top 2 or 3 best live action type films I have seen for PQ I would have to say. It was incredibly consistent and I was just constantly amazed at what I was seeing on screen. A true demo piece for our displays

Audio was also surprisingly excellent! LFE was incredible and used to great effect as well as the rest of the sound platform. Really well done audio.

The experience as a whole (audio/video/film) was just incredible I thought. By the time the credits hit, I really felt I had experienced something special.

Thanks for the review Ralph and needless to say my experience was very similar What a great showpiece for our new JVCs!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #36 of 38 Old 01-21-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I really enjoyed this movie. Very different/unusual and is very open to interpretation as far as your own life goes which is what was so great about it to me. This is the type of film that everyone will get something different out of if you enjoy it in the first place. Having said that, I can certainly understand how some people did not like it and could not get into it. Very interesting movie though.

As far as the video goes, holy $hit! Easily in the top 2 or 3 best live action type films I have seen for PQ I would have to say. It was incredibly consistent and I was just constantly amazed at what I was seeing on screen. A true demo piece for our displays

Audio was also surprisingly excellent! LFE was incredible and used to great effect as well as the rest of the sound platform. Really well done audio.

The experience as a whole (audio/video/film) was just incredible I thought. By the time the credits hit, I really felt I had experienced something special.

Thanks for the review Ralph and needless to say my experience was very similar What a great showpiece for our new JVCs!

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one Todd.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #37 of 38 Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just received my copy of this one and watched it last night.

This is a movie that's very hard to describe to others, but I can say that it was visually stunning. In my opinion, the entire movie felt more like a dream than it did a movie. I'm going to watch it again over the weekend and will try to look deeper into all aspects of it, and this time my wife will be watching too, so we'll see what she thinks of it.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

oz
post #38 of 38 Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Just received my copy of this one and watched it last night.

This is a movie that's very hard to describe to others, but I can say that it was visually stunning. In my opinion, the entire movie felt more like a dream than it did a movie. I'm going to watch it again over the weekend and will try to look deeper into all aspects of it, and this time my wife will be watching too, so we'll see what she thinks of it.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

Greetings,

Sure thing Oz. Thanks for sharing your impressions...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page