Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Hunter McCraken, Sean Penn
Written & Directed by: Terrence Malick
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 11, 2011

"Grace and Nature."

Film Synopsis:

This stunningly original triumph from visionary director Terrence Malick stars Academy Award Nominee Brad Pitt and Academy Award Winner Sean Penn. The epic, yet intimate, story follows the life journey of Jack O'Brien (played as an adult by Penn), the eldest son of a fractured Midwestern family. Pitt delivers a powerful performance as the cataclysmic force of nature in Jack's world, his complex and rigidly authoritarian father.

My Take:

Through stunning cinematography and raw emotional power Terrence Malick's The tree of life excavates answers to the most haunting and personal human questions through a kaleidoscope of the intimate and the cosmic, from the raw emotions of a family in a small Texas town to the wildest, infinite edges of space and time, from a boy's loss of innocence to a man's transforming encounters with awe, wonder and transcendence. An impressionistic story of a Midwestern family in the 1950's, the film follows the life journey of the eldest son, Jack (played as an adult by Sean Penn), through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as he tries to reconcile a complicated relationship with his father (Brad Pitt).

I haven't seen a lot of Terrence Malick's work but I am familiar enough with it to know that he is far from a traditional storyteller. Of all that I have seen The tree of life is by far the best example of his lack of convention. This certainly isn't a shortcoming however it can sometimes make his work a bit difficult to digest. First, this is a beautifully constructed film both visually and narratively speaking. It's obvious this is a personal creation that he would like the audience to see through his eyes. The story, about a 1950's Texas family, centers on the eldest son, Jack, a conflicted boy, who grows into a conflicted man. In the film broad narrative strokes and abstract symbolism are used in a non-linear fashion to detail aspects of Jack's childhood and the familial dynamic that surrounds his relationship with his mother, brothers and more specifically his authoritarian father. It explores elements of faith and family and how the two aren't always congruent. To that end The tree of life succeeds admirably and features powerful performances by Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, and young Hunter McCraken. Beyond that I must admit to finding this to be a frustrating film experience.

Much of the story is poured out in fragmented snippets some of which are never defined. There are periods in the film with no dialogue between the characters, which might not be a problem were it not for the already abstract nature of its design. There were times where I found myself asking aloud what does that mean? or where is this going? On occasion those questions were simply not answered. Terrence Mallick and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki use stunning and stark imagery that range from nature based photography to breathtaking visual effects sequences derived from outer space. These are thematically juxtaposed with the storyline however the context is ambiguous at best. This is consistent throughout the film which requires an open perspective in order to absorb the conglomeration. I was torn by the time the film ended. I liked it but couldn't get by the things that I found to be annoying. I decided to look at the film from both aspects. As a pure cinematic work designed to convey the vision of its filmmakers The tree of life is indeed impressive. As a dramatic film designed to draw the audience in via its compositional elements it succeeds but asks quite a bit in return. Those familiar with writer/director Terrence Malick are sure to appreciate this ambitious and superbly crafted film. Others will more than likely find its ambiguity and non-traditional style frustrating, slow, and ultimately distasteful.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The tree of life comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.1 Mbps.

This is a high bitrate and reference quality high definition transfer that looks spectacular. At times I found the visuals to be breath taking. The film utilizes a reserved chromatic palate that sets the thematic tone for the 1950's era familial drama. Clothing, interior design etc. are kept within the scope of the time frame which means lots of browns, grays, greens and blacks. Such isn't the case when director Malick takes us on a journey of the boundless musings of his vision of earth and beyond. The nature defined colors look terrific as the deep, vivid, reds, succulent blues, and resplendent earth toned hues leap from the 1.85:1 framed video. The digitally created images of space boast a resplendent array of brilliant color with deep, image penetrating blacks and spot on contrast. Brightly lit sequences are equally rewarding and feature gradational grays and crisp, delineated whites. Images are exquisitely detailed, with a near infinite sense of depth regardless of the camera's perspective. Resolution is strong as the vastness and scope of the imagery both digital and real is fully realized and appears lucid, dimensional, and artifact free. Any minor nits that I found to pick didn't warrant a deduction in my opinion so I won't mention them. I thought this looked amazing.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is an impressive one that makes use of the entire surround platform. It's a sophisticated design that occasionally rewards with activity that is intricately placed within the sound field so as to provide a feeling of total immersion. I found this audio presentation to be highly detailed with excellent dynamic range which enables it to be authoritative at one moment and intricately nuanced the next. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It's located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within soundstage. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or inflection of voices. Front channel separation is excellent which draws out both large and small sound elements allowing their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. There isn't perpetual use of the rear channels and subwoofer however when applied the effects are involving and surreal.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Exploring the tree of life - 30 minute featurette

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD of The tree of life

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

From the mind of critically acclaimed filmmaker Terrence Malick The tree of life is an ambitious and intricately crafted dramatic film that tells a conventional story of family in an overtly non-traditional fashion. It left me in a quandary as there were aspects of it that I enjoyed but others that left me scratching my head. As a pure cinematic work designed to convey the vision of its filmmaker The tree of life is indeed impressive. As a dramatic film designed to draw the audience in via its compositional elements it succeeds but asks quite a bit in return. I suspect that those familiar with Terrence Malick's work will appreciate the tone and depth of his vision. Others will more than likely find its ambiguity and non-traditional style frustrating, slow, and ultimately distasteful. Like the film or not there is no denying that it looks gorgeous and sounds splendid in this high definition Blu-ray offering from 20th Century Fox. There isn't much in the way of bonus content but the 30 minute featurette Exploring the tree of life is worth checking out and offer insights from the cast, crew and other filmmakers who are fans of Malick's works. I can't recommend this as a blind buy. If you're curious a rental is the way to start.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Watched this last night and the PQ is astounding. One of the best discs, if not the best out there. Totally agree with the 100 score.

Did you give lower LFE marks because of the small amount of LFE content or because ,in those few moments where the LFE comes to life, it did not plunge as deep as it could have? I thought it went plenty deep, but your sub's bigger than mine
post #3 of 38 Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Watched this last night and the PQ is astounding. One of the best discs, if not the best out there. Totally agree with the 100 score.

Did you give lower LFE marks because of the small amount of LFE content or because ,in those few moments where the LFE comes to life, it did not plunge as deep as it could have? I thought it went plenty deep, but your sub's bigger than mine

Greetings,

The quality of the bass is excellent (hence my rating) however extension, while noteworthy, doesn't achieve the depths associated with the best out there. Still, a reference quality audio rating on a film like this is in and of itself quite impressive.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 38 Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This movie left me in awe. Thought the cinematography was just amazing and outstanding. Has that somewhat kaleidoscope'ish in certain scenes that got me mesmerized.

Overall this was a great movie and will definitely be collecting this. Great job on this one Ralph!

Cheers
post #5 of 38 Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
I'm a Terrence Malick fan. While this isn't his best movie, it is a work of art that is everything on Blu-Ray that Ralph says it is. What the prehistoric shots are doing in a movie set in Waco, TX in the 50s is anybody's guess, but that's Malick's vision. I like "Days of Heaven," "The Thin Red Line" and the director's cut of "The New World" more. But if you like movies that stretch the artistic envelope and have powerful performances than this is for you.
post #6 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can't wait to check this one out. Not a big fan of Malick but this looks interesting.
post #7 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This film looks like it's something right up my alley - and PQ rating certainly doesn't hurt, either
post #8 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Is this better than the Planet thing by BBC?
post #9 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Malick isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I have always admired him and the artistic way he works in film. For me, his films are like looking at a piece of abstract art and trying to figure out what the artist is getting at. Because of that I have found it necessary to view his films several times to let it all sink in. I expect The Tree Of Life will be one I'll find necessary to watch several times as well, just as I did the others. But I know in the end it will be worth it for me.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Is this better than the Planet thing by BBC?

Aren't they cute at that age I think you'll see some artsy nature shots, but I doubt they're any similarity besides those scene.

DJoel
post #11 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I understand your frustrations with the movie that some (many?) aspects of the "story" are left open-ended or unexplained, but I think that may have been the director's intent. While the film definitely is likely his most autobiographical film, I think leaving a number of things open to interpretation allows each viewer the chance to bring their own life experiences and lens to interpreting the story.

Several people I have talked to who really liked the movie agreed on a number of points, but I was also surprised to see how differently we interpreted different parts of the film. The more we discussed it, the more I realized we were seeing those parts through the lens of our own past experiences of family, faith, etc. It made for very interesting discussions.

While not one of my favorite movies of all time, I was definitely impressed by it, and it had me thinking about its themes for several weeks....something very few films can accomplish.

This is a great movie to watch with other film fans and then discuss over dinner or coffee.

And a great question to start the discussion...."At the beginning of the film, there is a voiceover by the mother. Do you think what she says is Malick giving the audience his point of view and then using the film to illustrate that, or do you think he is posing a hypothesis and then asking you to answer that question for yourself?" I know which way I viewed that, but I find there is a lot of debate on this topic.
post #12 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

There were times where I found myself asking aloud what does that mean? or where is this going? On occasion those questions were simply not answered.

Sounds just like life or living to me...

Ralph, thank you for a wonderful review of this impressive movie. As I was watching the movie Tuesday night, I was wondering if you were going to review it...I really was interested in reading your thoughts. I am always impressed with your "My Take" section as you seem to work very hard to find something of worth in every film you review...even films that are not your cup of tea.
post #13 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

Several people I have talked to who really liked the movie agreed on a number of points, but I was also surprised to see how differently we interpreted different parts of the film. The more we discussed it, the more I realized we were seeing those parts through the lens of our own past experiences of family, faith, etc. It made for very interesting discussions.

+1 Spot on analysis...
post #14 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Sounds just like life or living to me...

Ralph, thank you for a wonderful review of this impressive movie. As I was watching the movie Tuesday night, I was wondering if you were going to review it...I really was interested in reading your thoughts. I am always impressed with your "My Take" section as you seem to work very hard to find something of worth in every film you review...even films that are not your cup of tea.

Ditto! I also really enjoy reading Ralph's reviews and find that most of the time his take lines up with my own. Tree of Life is certainly not your typical film. While many films can be both artful and entertaining, I think Tree of Life falls much more to the artful side. I am not sure Malick is that concerned with whether the audience is entertained as much as if the audience is made to really think and reflect. I know some people in the theater the day I saw it were not expecting that. It will likely not be a film I watch repeatedly as much as some others, but any film that has that much to say and can make me think like that is a film I will watch again and enjoy the journey.
post #15 of 38 Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thank you laugsbach and NCCanic. Your impressions and comments are much appreciated.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 38 Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

I am not sure Malick is that concerned with whether the audience is entertained as much as if the audience is made to really think and reflect.

IMHO, you've hit the nail on the head, and that applies to all his films, not just Tree Of Life.
post #17 of 38 Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Ralph,

I had seen this title floating about, but had not looked into it at all until your review. Based on that, I decided to purchase it and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

One of my favorite films of all time is "2001: A Space Odyssey", and while many people find it slow and unwatchable, I still find it fascinating and beautiful, and I must have seen it over twenty times already. One comment many have made is that "2001" leaves people wondering what it's all about, and I suspect that "Tree of Life" may be a similar film in that respect. I purchased it based on some of your descriptions, which made me think of "2001", and based on the stellar Picture Quality rating you gave it.

It seems to me that "Tree of Life" will be one of those beautiful cinematic experiences with a deeply emotional and thoughtful story, combined with some mind-blowing visuals that, wrapped all together, make for a film that will keep you thinking about it for years, and revisiting it often for a deeper understanding and a different perspective upon each viewing. That seems like a good deal to me!
post #18 of 38 Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker View Post

Ralph,

I had seen this title floating about, but had not looked into it at all until your review. Based on that, I decided to purchase it and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

One of my favorite films of all time is "2001: A Space Odyssey", and while many people find it slow and unwatchable, I still find it fascinating and beautiful, and I must have seen it over twenty times already. One comment many have made is that "2001" leaves people wondering what it's all about, and I suspect that "Tree of Life" may be a similar film in that respect. I purchased it based on some of your descriptions, which made me think of "2001", and based on the stellar Picture Quality rating you gave it.

It seems to me that "Tree of Life" will be one of those beautiful cinematic experiences with a deeply emotional and thoughtful story, combined with some mind-blowing visuals that, wrapped all together, make for a film that will keep you thinking about it for years, and revisiting it often for a deeper understanding and a different perspective upon each viewing. That seems like a good deal to me!

Greetings,

I am very happy to hear that my review has provoked your purchase. I look forward to hearing your insights once you have seen The Tree of life Spellchecker.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 38 Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 AM

Excellent review of a difficult film to review, Ralph. You hit all the right notes, including the natural points of hesitation and uncertainty. Regardless of what any one of us take from this film, or our response to it...there's no simplicity or two dimensionality at work here.
post #20 of 38 Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Tried to watch this after a long day out working in the yard...but I had been itching to give it a viewing at my first chance. Needless to say 1/2 hour into it, I was dead asleep. (Don't recommend viewing it tired). I have to ask, does the film change its pattern from what the first 1/2 hour is or is it more or less the same?

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #21 of 38 Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Tried to watch this after a long day out working in the yard...but I had been itching to give it a viewing at my first chance. Needless to say 1/2 hour into it, I was dead asleep. (Don't recommend viewing it tired). I have to ask, does the film change its pattern from what the first 1/2 hour is or is it more or less the same?

I was expecting a great film but was bored to death and I was wide awake. I love 2001 so slow films don't bother me at all if they are good. This was Art House crap IMO! I thought Jerry and George wrote this as it was a movie about NOTHING.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #22 of 38 Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Can't wait to check this one out. Not a big fan of Malick but this looks interesting.

Have you seen "Badlands" -- with Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen? I think its Malick's best film by far. And its based on a fascinating true story of a 1950s murder spree in the midwest.

Its haunting and creepy.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFx06cBmbk
post #23 of 38 Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I am very happy to hear that my review has provoked your purchase. I look forward to hearing your insights once you have seen The Tree of life Spellchecker.

Regards,

Ralph,

I finally received my copy of the film and watched it last night. I have to say that your description of the movie gave me the perfect set of expectations, which were met and surpassed. This movie was, for me, spectacular. I probably would never have bought it or paid much attention to it had it not been for your review.

My reaction to your critique (before seeing the movie) had been that it seemed the film would be similar to my favorite "2001: A Space Odyssey", and that it would be an image-filled thought-provoker that would elicit much contemplation afterward, and that is exactly what I found. I found myself glued to the screen throughout the movie, never once feeling bored, but very much interested in what was happening to the family involved.

Unlike you, I didn't have a problem with some of the seemingly unrelated segments. To me, the title says it all. It's about life, and what factors and events cause others to occur. At the beginning, there is a lot of questioning as to how each person got to where they are, and when the creation sequence occurs, it's the ultimate explanation of how the earth came to be, and how we evolved from its origins.

This film is a visual treat, with wonderful performances and a thought-provoking story. What a pleasure it is to see, in today's teal and orange cookie-cutter movie world, an artistic film, made to fit a director's original vision, that is as awe-inspiring to look at and contemplate as is any classic work of art.

My only other exposure to Terrence Malick was "The Thin Red Line", which, interestingly enough, I discovered through your review! I very much enjoyed that film, but due to its historical storyline, I felt I needed to understand every word and every situation, since it would lead to a more literal conclusion. Comparatively, "Tree of Life" can be taken as more of an allegory, where just taking in all of the sights and sounds and allowing them to elicit feeling and thought is enough information, without needing to be literal.

Thank you, Ralph, for opening my eyes to this incredible film. This is one that I will revisit many times over the coming years.
post #24 of 38 Old 11-05-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker View Post

Ralph,

I finally received my copy of the film and watched it last night. I have to say that your description of the movie gave me the perfect set of expectations, which were met and surpassed. This movie was, for me, spectacular. I probably would never have bought it or paid much attention to it had it not been for your review.

My reaction to your critique (before seeing the movie) had been that it seemed the film would be similar to my favorite "2001: A Space Odyssey", and that it would be an image-filled thought-provoker that would elicit much contemplation afterward, and that is exactly what I found. I found myself glued to the screen throughout the movie, never once feeling bored, but very much interested in what was happening to the family involved.

Unlike you, I didn't have a problem with some of the seemingly unrelated segments. To me, the title says it all. It's about life, and what factors and events cause others to occur. At the beginning, there is a lot of questioning as to how each person got to where they are, and when the creation sequence occurs, it's the ultimate explanation of how the earth came to be, and how we evolved from its origins.

This film is a visual treat, with wonderful performances and a thought-provoking story. What a pleasure it is to see, in today's teal and orange cookie-cutter movie world, an artistic film, made to fit a director's original vision, that is as awe-inspiring to look at and contemplate as is any classic work of art.

My only other exposure to Terrence Malick was "The Thin Red Line", which, interestingly enough, I discovered through your review! I very much enjoyed that film, but due to its historical storyline, I felt I needed to understand every word and every situation, since it would lead to a more literal conclusion. Comparatively, "Tree of Life" can be taken as more of an allegory, where just taking in all of the sights and sounds and allowing them to elicit feeling and thought is enough information, without needing to be literal.

Thank you, Ralph, for opening my eyes to this incredible film. This is one that I will revisit many times over the coming years.

Greetings,

Thank YOU Spellchecker for sharing your thoughts/impressions and for your supportive comments. I am very glad that this film experience was all that you hoped for.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 38 Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

I often watch movies at night when I'm tired (not exhausted) and I allow adequate time. If I end up falling asleep, nothing was lost because most of them are rentals and it usually ends up from my prior experiences that it wasn't worth viewing entirely anyway. And I don't give them a second chance cause if I cared for it to begin with, I would have stayed awake.

We'll see what happens with this movie.
post #26 of 38 Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 574
I guess I'm just not as deep a thinker as some ..

Abusive father / free spirit mother raise 3 boys, oldest is pushed by father too far and goes to the dark side .. said son dies in combat, Pitt regrets his ways when the son dies .. film follows the kids growing up .. Penn plays the brother who loved his dead brother and still can't come to grips with it ..

Yes, the film is visually stunning .. yes, the audio is excellent as well ..

deep meaning .. ?? Comparisons to 2001/ASO .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #27 of 38 Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I attempted to watch Tree Of Life and failed. Even fast forwarding didn't help. Great looking to be sure, but I couldn't manage more than about 45 min. Pretentious is the kindest word I can muster for it.
post #28 of 38 Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 AM

I too tried watching this movie (if you can call it that) and suffered through the first 60 minutes before resorting to the chapter skip to see if the movie gets better. To my delight, it does! For those who are curious, it is the last chapter when the credits started rolling.

The only good thing I can say about the movie is that it only cost me $0.32 to rent from Redbox with a coupon...on second thought, I take that back, I want my $0.32 back.

However, I do agree that the video is stunning. I can't speak for the audio since I am only allowed to watch movies on the midnight mode so the baby can sleep.

Still Learning
post #29 of 38 Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Watched it last night with our teen daughters. Beautiful, beautiful cinematography and a surprisingly good, aggressive 7.1 mix with very deep and powerful bass. As Ralph duly noted, a fantastic, esthetic picture.

We made it through the movie but, in the end, were left unsatisfied...

Our take was the older son was 'nature' and the dead sone was 'grace'. The way it was filmed seemed a lot like the way many of use remember our own childhood... just snippets of good and bad through the best and worst times of our lives with our family. The ending, heaven, I assume didn't really feel like a payoff for the time spent watching. Sure Sean Penn became the successful business man his father couldn't but, until the final scenes, could never explain why his brother was taken (and not him).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #30 of 38 Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Liked: 11
I've been a fan of The Fountain for a while now, and recently started seeing comparisons of it to The Tree of Life. Being that The Fountain is most likely my number 1 movie, I figured I'd give this a shot.

The Tree of Life was amazing. Great picture, beautiful scenes, and a powerful audio track to go with it. It felt like this movie followed my life exactly. For some reason, even the parts of the movie that never truly happened in my life, suddenly felt like they did. Very good movie, and I truly feel sympathy for anyone who can't get anything out of this movie.

After watching it though, I feel that the two movies are in different categories, and can't be compared. The Tree of Life was great, and I conisider it to be one of the best non-animated pictures I've seen so far.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page