Captain America The First Avenger 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 684
attachment.php?attachmentid=223393&d=1316712484
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Action/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Tommy Lee Jones, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Derek Luke, Neal McDonugh, Stanley Tucci
Directed by: Joe Johnston
Music by: Alan Silvestri
Written by: Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 25, 2011

"When Captain America throws his mighty shield. "

Film Synopsis:

After being deemed unfit for military service, Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending America's ideals.

My Take:

Lately it seems like all I do is review superhero flicks. Actually that isn't true and if it was I have to admit that it wouldn't be a problem. Growing up I loved comics and seeing some of my favorite figures from their pages brought to life on the big screen has been well executed and pretty thrilling. Captain America isn't among the more dazzling superheroes however he has been a Marvel staple that has continued to thrive. I took my son to see Captain America The First Avenger when it hit theaters earlier this year. I always liked the character but didn't collect/read his comic on a consistent basis. I was familiar with his origins, powers etc. and appreciated the attention to detail that went into the film's first act. The script does a decent job of connecting us with Steve Rogers, specifically who he was before he undergoes the experimental process that turns him into Captain America. Simultaneously the character bases is established which includes pertinent introductory/correlative data on the maniacal Red Skull. The narrative is straight forward and sets up the plot using culminating building blocks. The protagonist and antagonist are represented by definitive lines, along with several well integrated subplots that effectively support the storyline. I thought the homage to Bucky Barnes and the Howling Commandos was both complimentary and well executed. The world threat posed by HYDRA and The Red Skull was the perfect choice and presented an apropos set of challenges.

I found the blend of drama, action, romance and wit to be on the money. I liked the fact that the humor remained more along the lines of flippancy rather than overt glibness. Based upon the story's central subject (World War II) it would have seemed out of place and silly. Tommy Lee Jones' Colonel Phillips displays just the right amount of gruff exterior, soft underbelly which works in perfect tandem with his occasionally off handed and funny remarks. Unlike the other superhero flicks based on Marvel characters this one doesn't call for an inordinate level of special effects although the film's production value is really very good. The most obvious visual effect is the one required to make actor Chris Evans look like a sickly 90lb weakling. It is done in post production with predominantly excellent results however there are instances where it isn't seamless. Speaking of Chris Evans, I had reservations prior to seeing the film, regarding his ability to credibly pull this role off. I knew he could look the part but knowing this would be a more serious character I wondered how it would come off. I thought he nailed it. Hugo Weaving is no stranger to playing the heavy and handles the Red Skull with ease. Hayley Atwell is not only drop dead sexy but plays the very capable Peggy Carter with aplomb. The remaining cast, Stanley Tucci, Dominic Cooper, Derek Luke, Neal McDonugh, and Toby Jones filled smaller but integral roles very nicely as well. Captain America The First Avenger succeeds thanks to a well rounded script, contemporary action, and a solid cast. If I had one minor nit to pick it would be the pacing during the first act. Otherwise I found this film to be a fitting tribute to an iconic superhero. I look forward to his return in next years The Avengers.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Captain America The First Avenger 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mpbs.

So far I haven't been impressed with the native 2D to 3D converted films that I have reviewed on Blu-ray. The recent 3D release of Thor is a good example. Going into this review I expected more of the same but was pleasantly surprised. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background. There are a variety of sequences that provide a fun reach out and touch level of dimension as well as a bit of screen popping wizardry. This primarily revolves around the action based sequences and features Cap's flying shield, exploding debris, or a pretty cool effect where Peggy's .45 caliber handgun extends out into the room as she fires at a fleeing saboteur. Comparing contrast, color and skin tone reproduction to the 2D presentation I think that this appears a tad washed out by comparison but the difference is minimal. The rendering of detail and clarity is similar and I didn't observe any overt instances of crosstalk/ghosting. Overall Captain America The First Avenger makes for an engaging and fun 3D experience.

The lossless 7.1 channel DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film's elements. The music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in this involving surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room's acoustic environment is excellent as the seven channels combine to bring the various venues featured in the film to life. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. This isn't a bombastically busy audio presentation but its appropriate for the source and makes for an enjoyable home theater experience.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Captain America The First Avenger comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps.

This is a great looking high definition presentation that appears faithful to the film's original elements Images are transparent, exquisitely detailed and sharp. Fidelity is rarely questionable regardless of perspective. Colors are kept within the scope of the historical time frame which means lots of browns, grays, greens and blacks. Much of the time the image is splashed with a sepia toned hue that imparts a colorless essence. Blue and gray tones permeate several of the CGI based background elements. The various shades of gray/light blue have appreciable gradational steps that enhance depth. Complexional rendering can be scene dependent but in natural lighting they looked just fine. Blacks are inky, dynamic and stable. Contrast is bold and punchy without overdriving whites/grays and washing out detail. This is a pristinely rendered Blu-ray presentation that looked great on my large screen.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Captain America The First Avenger 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2: Captain America The First Avenger 2D Blu-ray (including the following bonus material

• Feature commentary with director Joe Johnston, director of photography Shelly Johnson and editor Jeffrey Ford

• (HD) Marvel One-Shot: A funny thing happened on the way to Thor's Hammer - 4 minute short

• (HD) Featurettes (7 segments):

• Outfitting a hero - 10 minutes

• Howling Commandos - 6 minutes

• Heightened technology - 5 minutes

• The transformation - 8 minutes

• Behind the Skull - 10 minutes

• Captain America Origins - 4 minutes

• The Assembly Begins - 2 minute glimpse at The Avengers

• (HD) 5 deleted scenes with commentary by director Joe Johnston, director of photography Shelly Johnson and editor Jeffrey Ford

• (HD) Trailers: Theatrical (1&2), Sega game trailer, and The Avengers animated movie

• Bonus DVD of Captain America The First Avenger

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Captain America The First Avenger is a well conceived and fitting tribute to Marvel Comics iconic Star Spangled hero. Even better this second time around I thoroughly enjoyed its involving storyline, contemporary action and strong cast. It comes to Blu-ray in this Limited Edition three Disc set that includes 3D/2D Blu-ray/DVD (the subject of this review) and a standard Blu-ray/DVD combo set. It features resplendent high definition video quality and rewarding 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio sound. I was pleased with its 3D presentation and felt that while it didn't offer ostentatious effects it complimented the film and made the experience all the more enjoyable. The supplemental package offers fans an entertaining look behind the scenes as well as a glimpse at what is yet to come in the upcoming Marvel film The Avengers. Whichever version you opt for you can't go wrong with Captain America The First Avenger on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Doh! I was hoping for some Thor-like bass. But nevertheless, it'll still be a blind buy for me. Thanks for the review Ralph!

post #3 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi Ralph,

You mention the 3D is a bit washed out compared to the 2D. What version would you prefer watching if you revisit this film again?

Thanks Ralph!

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #4 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Unlike Thor I'll keep my 3D preorder of Captain America.

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #5 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Hi Ralph,

You mention the 3D is a bit washed out compared to the 2D. What version would you prefer watching if you revisit this film again?

Thanks Ralph!

Tom

Greetings,

Tom, I would watch the 3D version..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Tom, I would watch the 3D version..

Regards,

Good to know. Thanks!
post #7 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speaking of Chris Evans, I had reservations prior to seeing the film, regarding his ability to credibly pull this role off. I knew he could look the part but knowing this would be a more serious character I wondered how it would come off.

Did you not think much of him in Sunshine?
post #8 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Did you not think much of him in Sunshine?

Greetings,

It has been a while since I watched Sunshine. I was thinking more in terms of his previous superhero experience as The Human Torch. It's a moot point now..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 68 Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Greetings,

It has been a while since I watched Sunshine. I was thinking more in terms of his previous superhero experience as The Human Torch. It's a moot point now..

Regards,

I thought he was good in Fantastic Four, the movie franchise just sucked is all. In Sunshine I thought he was great. I may just be biased though as I liked him in Sunshine, and also Cellular. And maybe some other movie or 2 as well.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I thought too this would be another dud for the 3D version since its another convert, but an 86 sounds good.

Ralph, based on the 3D score and if I end up purchasing Captian America should I get the 3D combo pack over the regular Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack? I have stayed away from pretty much all Blu-ray 3D's that have been converted from 2D to 3D, but this sounds like it may be worth purchasing.
post #11 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I saw this film in the theater and it is outstanding...the best super hero film of the year. I am pleased to hear that the 3D presentation is worth purchasing!!
post #12 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I thought too this would be another dud for the 3D version since its another convert, but an 86 sounds good.

Ralph, based on the 3D score and if I end up purchasing Captian America should I get the 3D combo pack over the regular Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack? I have stayed away from pretty much all Blu-ray 3D's that have been converted from 2D to 3D, but this sounds like it may be worth purchasing.

Greetings,

I think it's worth it Matt.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Came in with a little too high of expectation on this movie and ended up falling in the middle.

Thought the overall movie was great. Was hoping to see some Iron Man hand beam and Thor's hammer lightning like powers but it looks like the flying shield was it? Good story made up for it though.

Definite buy for my Avengers collection!

Cheers
post #14 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I'll blind buy this one but I'm a little disappointed in the audio score. I seem to remember a few people mentioning the sound was nothing spectacular at their respective theater's, so perhaps it's just an accurate representation (which is all you can ask for, I guess).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #15 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I really enjoyed Thor and am looking forward to this one as well--have a pre-order with Amazon for 2D--looks like a winner.

Bob

post #16 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Came in with a little too high of expectation on this movie and ended up falling in the middle.

Thought the overall movie was great. Was hoping to see some Iron Man hand beam and Thor's hammer lightning like powers but it looks like the flying shield was it? Good story made up for it though.

Well, you'll have to wait for the Avengers to see Iron-head and Thor; they weren't around in the 1940s. Well, maybe Thor was..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #17 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Nice review. A little disappointing on the audio but how would you rate this movie compared to Xmen and Thor?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #18 of 68 Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Greetings,

I think it's worth it Matt.

Regards,

I agree with Ralph on this one...this is probably the best 2D-3D conversion I've watched thus far and when watching it again, I would choose the 3D version as well

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #19 of 68 Old 10-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I really enjoyed this movie! One of the better Marvel Comic movies to come out.
post #20 of 68 Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I agree with Ralph on this one...this is probably the best 2D-3D conversion I've watched thus far and when watching it again, I would choose the 3D version as well

Greetings,

You know what they say Dave, "great minds....."

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #21 of 68 Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Well, you'll have to wait for the Avengers to see Iron-head and Thor; they weren't around in the 1940s. Well, maybe Thor was..

I know. The Avengers 2012 should be coming out in May of next year.
post #22 of 68 Old 10-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No mention of Hydra being completely incompetent and posing no threat at all to anything which kills all tension and excitement in the 2nd half of the movie?

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #23 of 68 Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did they make the guy weak and whimpy in the beginning and all of a sudden become muscle man?

Does he have a brother? Or is it CGI?
post #24 of 68 Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you all notice Superman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, Freddy Kruger, not to mention Captain America, etc etc .. they are all American action hero.

I wonder if there are bias from the rest of the world on this. It does help sell USA and people think this is a wonder country. :-)
post #25 of 68 Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Glad to hear that after I avoided Thor 3D. Looking forward to Tuesday night with 3D glasses on!

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #26 of 68 Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

How did they make the guy weak and whimpy in the beginning and all of a sudden become muscle man? Does he have a brother? Or is it CGI?

They say it was all done in post production - probably very similar process to that used to make Benjamin Button appear so emaciated.

Quote:

Did you all notice Superman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, Freddy Kruger, not to mention Captain America, etc etc .. they are all American action hero.

I wonder if there are bias from the rest of the world on this. It does help sell USA and people think this is a wonder country. :-)

The super hero movies merely follow the trail of the super hero comic books, which were very popular from the thirties thru the sixties. Since WWII (as well as several other global wars in which the US was involved) fell right in the middle of that timeline it's no surprise that those wars are/were the basis for their storylines. While these may understandably be less popular overseas I doubt if they would significantly contribute to anti-American sentiment.

I honestly have no idea whether European children (boys) read comic books or had any fictional super heroes during their youth. I suppose same goes for drive-in theaters and movies about tornadoes. It may just not mean the same to those across the pond.

Back to the movie review... I saw C/A in the the theater in 2D and loved it. Probably one of the best movies of the summer (X-men was a bit disappointing). At the time of my first viewing I instantly noticed the strong similarity to one of my favorites, The Rocketeer, though at the time I was not aware that both were directed by Joe Johnson. C/A was not as flashy as some others, but did have an engaging storyline that I found much more entertaining than the other flicks (unlike Dark of the Moon) but as Ralph points out is much less of an audio or visual spectacle. Overall a well made movie and an instant buy for me.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #27 of 68 Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I've also started to notice that most American movies are about America. Hmmm... something fishy is definitely going on here.
post #28 of 68 Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

They say it was all done in post production - probably very similar process to that used to make Benjamin Button appear so emaciated.

Yup, that's exactly how it was done. There was a special on it on 1 of the HBO, C-Max, or SHOW channels, don't remember which 1, awhile back. In fact, the same people that did Ben Button did the effects for Chris Evans as well.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #29 of 68 Old 10-25-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching this in 3D, enjoyed the movie but I did not enjoy the 3D at all. I popped in the 2D disc and I'm blown away how much better it looks. I skipped Thor 3D in favor of the 2D which I really enjoyed. I got a good price on Captain America 3D so I went for it knowing the 2D disc is there. I will be watching Captain America again in 2D.

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #30 of 68 Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Watched this in 2D last night and enjoyed it just as much as I did in the theaters! The PQ was a lot better than I expected. The movie appeared a bit soft in screenshots, but in motion there was plenty of fine detail though somewhat limited by the "period" look they were going for.

The AQ was also quite excellent I felt. I know there have been some complaints about the lack of LFE, but I was more than satisfied with the surround sound presentation. Probably just a notch below Thor and X-Men FC, but still an outstanding audio track.

Highly recommended!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Captain America The First Avenger Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies