Studio and Year: Disney/Pixar - 2011
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 106 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, English Dolby Digital 2.0 DVS, English Near Field Mix 2.0, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
English: Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Owen Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, Michael Caine, Emily Mortimer, Eddie Izzard, John Turturro, Joe Mantegna, Bonnie Hunt
Directed by: John Lasseter, Brad Lewis
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Ben Queen (screenplay), John Lasseter, Dan Fogelman, Brad Lewis (story)
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 1, 2011

"Fuel The Love"

Film Synopsis:

Star race car Lightning McQueen and his pal Mater head overseas to compete in the World Grand Prix race. But the road to the championship becomes rocky as Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage.

My Take:

The original Cars, considered one of Pixar's worst, was about hot-shot race-car Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) and his time spent stuck in Radiator Springs, a small town in the middle of nowhere. While there McQueen finds a best friend in tow truck Mater (Larry the Cable Guy), a love in Sally (Bonnie Hunt) and a mentor in Doc Hudson (Paul Newman). He goes from caring about one thing, himself, to finding the importance in friends, family and love. I must admit to liking Cars for what it is quite a bit. The level of replay my son and his friends have gotten out of it, as well as the love of cars toys, lunch boxes and anything else cars related is close to star wars toy insanity. When Cars 2 was announced I was excited, but worried about too much of Mater, as he is akin to the Jar-Jar Binks of the Cars universe. As much as Mater can be annoying, he has some funny moments and great lines in this sequel. How can you not laugh when Finn McMissile introduces himself to Mater and says "I haven't properly introduced myself. Finn McMissile, British intelligence." Then Mater replies in his heavy southern drawl, "Tow Mater, average intelligence.".

In Cars 2, Mater tags along when Lightning McQueen is invited to compete in the first ever World Grand Prix, which is Sponsored by Allinol, a supposed "clean fuel" created by Miles Axlerod (Eddie Izzard). As McQueen battles it out in Tokyo, London and Paris with his new arch rival Francesco Bernoulli (John Turtorro), Mater is confused as an undercover spy and joins agents Finn McMissile (Michael Caine) and Holley Shiftwell (Emily Mortimer) as they globe-trot along the World Grand Prix's route.

I have read many reviews from adults calling the original Cars Pixar's worst until Cars 2 came out to take top prize. I didn't find the level of depth that "Up" had, or even "Finding Nemo", nor did I get emotional like the end of "Toy Story 3". It was obvious Pixar was going for a fun spy flick spoof starring Lightning McQueen and Mater. With that as the intent, I say it succeeded in spades and was an exciting and funny ride. Where Cars was a slice of small town Americana with heart and soul, Cars 2 is almost like a serial (so to speak), where 2 characters from Cars go off on an adventure. I found laughs, enjoyable action, and enough of a plot to keep me interested. My son sat there glued to the flick, I would say more then he was for Toy Story 3. Lets not forget, these are animated films made for kids, sometimes we (and they) get lucky and the story hits a sentimental and deeper chord. Cars 2 doesn't have that going for it, but so what? Sometimes a fun flick that is eye candy is just what the doctor ordered. I would even love to see McQueen and crew again for another adventure.

Parental Guide:

This is a family film that can be enjoyed by all.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 96

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Cars 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio

Having seen Cars 2 in 3D theatrically, I can say this 3D release was better; It was flawless. I am not a big fan of 3D, I usually feel a bit off when watching things at home with active shutter glasses. This was no different, but I stuck it out and was treated to the best 3D I have yet to experience. Cars 2 is one movie that is made more exciting in 3D. The races are awesome as cars go from deep in the background to whizzing off screen right at you. The silly spy subplot is enhanced by the 3D as well. Finn McMissile flying through the sky or swimming underwater is so detailed with a dimensionality that blew me away. This might be the best 3D Blu-ray release yet. Coupled with delightfully vibrant colors, blacks that are thoroughly impressive and fine details on every image on-screen and we have a complete reference disc.

The DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound really rocked my room. Revving engines and explosions are LFE candy, while the effects channels are full of life with pin-point accuracy. Actually the whole mix has pin-pint accuracy, and this is as dynamic a track as you have heard. Dialogue is always discernible and there is not a flaw in this aggressive, big and loud mix that is quite the show off for your system.

This is absolutely a reference quality high definition presentation from Disney/Pixar that would be a shame to miss.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Cars 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Pixar featuring 1080p AVC encoded video

Like the 3D transfer, Cars 2 in 2D is absolutely stunning. The depth on screen is amazing and fine details run amuck as Pixar left no surface, light reflection or character with out the ultimate in detail. Looking at McQueens vivid red coloring is amazing as the color not only pops off screen but the details in shadows on the cars curves, as well as shiny spot where light hits him are breathtaking. Blacks are as inky as it gets. Not a hint of compression is to bee seen in the perfect high definition encode by Disney/Pixar.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1: (BD-50):

1. (HD) Car Toons: Air Mater in 3D

Disc 2 (BD-50):

1. (HD) Car Toons: Air Mater (2D)
    2. (HD) "Hawaiian Vacation" - A Toy Story Theatrical Short
    3. Directors Commentary on 2D Version of Cars 2

Disc 3 (BD-50):

1. (HD) Sneak Peak: The Nuts & Bolts of Cars Land
    2. (HD) World Tour: Choose Your Own Adventure With Interactive Access To Deleted Scenes, Documentaries, Animation And More From Different Locations In The Movie.

• Bonus DVD of Cars 2 including Bonus content

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc of Cars 2

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Remember silly rabbits, these flicks are for kids. I have read so many reviews from adults calling the original Cars Pixar's worst until Cars 2 came out to take top prize. I didn't find the level of depth that "Up" had, or even "Finding Nemo", nor did I get emotional like the end of "Toy Story 3". But so what?? It was obvious Pixar was going for a fun spy flick spoof starring Lightning McQueen and Mater. With that as the intent, I say it succeeded in spades and was a enjoyable ride. Lets not forget the complete reference level of eye candy from both the 3D and 2D versions, as well as the awesome 7.1 lossless audio track. This 5-disc Combo Pack is great and I love having all the options. I have the 3D Blu-ray for fun, the 2D for more regular viewing and the DVD in the car. Combining that with a bunch of special features and a few short features, this is a keeper that I highly recommend.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Xpand X103 Universal 3D Glasses
Sunfire Cinema Ribbon Trio On-Wall (5.1)
2 Sunfire True Subwoofer EQ Solitaire 10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes really looking forward to this one, 100/100 for both audio & video, Pixar never fail to deliver the goods! Great review Lee, thanks.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #3 of 36 Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can't wait to see this one in 3D. Thanks for the review Lee!
post #4 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings,

Thanks Lee!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 AM

Liked: 14
Awesome! Have this coming today thru Amazon via a pre-order as I was a huge Cars 1 fan. Glad to see the 3D ranked a 96 as I might have to watch this one more than once.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Lee,

Thanks - Good review !!

I will be adding this one to the collection.
The key is to remember these are animations and the primary target is kids (and lighthearted easy watching for the older kids)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #7 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the review, Lee! Now I am quite anxious to view this.
post #8 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

A must buy with two boys under 4 in the house. I don't have high hopes but am thrilled to see this in 3D!
post #9 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 65
In theaters, I found myself laughing more at the stupidity of some of the lines rather than the intended humor; however, I'm still tossing around the idea of buying this one. Maybe it'll be better the second time around now that expectations are in check. Having a reference 3d presentation doesn't hurt either.
post #10 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thoroughly enjoyed this film til the end. Spectacular animation and a decent story. Will be collecting this.

Cheers
post #11 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Great score! I saw it in theaters, loved it despite the reviews, and I'm picking this up later today myself. Two questions:

1) What was it that docked four points off the 3D score?
2) I only have a PS3, so watching this in 3D will mean no lossless audio for me. Do you know how perceivable of a difference there is? If the 2D/3D vs. lossy/lossless trade-offs were in effect, which do you think I'd be losing more of my value with?

I definitely need a standalone 3D Blu-ray player so I will no longer have that problem with #2.
post #12 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I definitely need a standalone 3D Blu-ray player so I will no longer have that problem with #2.

Fiber helps too.

Yes... I'm five years old.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
My son loves the Cars series. I've never heard anyone call it one of the worse of the Pixar movies, that surprises me as I think it's the best. I'll be buying this movie for sure, as it will buy me alot of quiet time with the little ones. Plus it will look great on the big screen.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks, Lee, for seeing what I saw in Cars 2. I took my son and his friend to see it and we all loved it. My copy came in today. Wheeee!
post #15 of 36 Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Watched tonight. My wife, who never notices video quality, said "this looks so real". Agreed, it looked absolutely fantastic and audio was top notch as well. In addition to just the AQ and PQ, I really enjoyed the movie.
post #16 of 36 Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed the 3D version. Depth was excellent even in the simplest of scenes. I particularly liked the runway scene as well as the racing scenes. During the non-action sequences I thought the 3D was still very good. For example, in the scenes when there may have been only 2 or 3 cars talking on screen I always felt like the front of the car stuck out of the screen a little bit. Depth was excellent all around. My favorite 3D so far still has to be Tangled though. Not sure how many people will have the same opinion as I do, but for some reason Tangled has been the best 3D release thus far in my experience (again, this is my personal opinion).
post #17 of 36 Old 11-02-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched the 2D version with my son last night and during most of the runtime he was bored silly. That does not bode well for a Pixar release. He loved the original Cars but the plot was too convoluted in Cars 2, IMO. I think I like this one better than he did. However, the reason to purchase for me, was the 3D...which I will check out later.
post #18 of 36 Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Thank you for the review Lee. When you said this in your review: "It was obvious Pixar was going for a fun spy flick spoof starring Lightning McQueen and Mater. With that as the intent, I say it succeeded in spades and was a enjoyable ride", you summed it up very well. If adults keep this in mind, I believe they'll enjoy it a bit more (at least). Yes, the story is weaker than I would prefer, based on previous Pixar outings, but nonetheless, it was a lot of fun for me. I watched the 2D Blu-ray last night on my 65" Panny V-10. This should be at the top of the PQ titles, IMO. AQ in the Top 5 also! I was in awe of both, and I'm sure it helped me appreciate the movie even more. I will watch it again soon! I sold off the 3D/DVD/Digital copies yesterday, so my net cost for two BR discs of Cars 2 was $6.00.
post #19 of 36 Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks for the review Lee.

My copy should be in my PO box today and am looking forward to watching it. Having been to Japan a number of times in my life and seeing the bits in trailers and such when they are in Japan I can fully appearance the "comedy" of being there. The bathroom scene is spot on.

Cars was the first animated movie I had ever seen in the theater and the only reason I went was because my date really wanted to see it. I came out totally impressed and discovered how fun modern day animated movies can be.

Everyone has their opinion on which movie is Pixar's worst. I don't think Pixar has any bad movies at all. I have the ones I really like and others are just "good". Heck the only movie I think Dreamworks has produced that comes anywhere close to Pixar quality is "How To Train Your Dragon".
post #20 of 36 Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

...I have read many reviews from adults calling the original Cars Pixar's worst until Cars 2 came out to take top prize...

Not bad when your 2 "worst" movies do over a $1,000,000,000 at the box-office. Now doubt Pixar put the magical back into Disney. Thanks Jobs, Lasseter and Catmull for showing Disney the Luxo light. Can't wait for mine to arrive.
post #21 of 36 Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I had no idea that "Cars" was considered a poor Pixar film. I thoroughly enjoyed that film. Guess I'll have to give this second one a shot.

I like Ice Cream!
post #22 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 85
First, thanks guys for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Not bad when your 2 "worst" movies do over a $1,000,000,000 at the box-office. Now doubt Pixar put the magical back into Disney. Thanks Jobs, Lasseter and Catmull for showing Disney the Luxolight. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

I had no idea that "Cars" was considered a poor Pixar film. I thoroughly enjoyed that film. Guess I'll have to give this second one a shot.

From many reviews and articles I have read, it seems the pixar fanboys all consider cars the worst of the pixar pack... I loved it

I cant wait for Planes!!
post #23 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Liked: 14
I think the fact that Disney is pouring millions into the Cars theme park in California is a great sign that Cars is well loved.
post #24 of 36 Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Great review Lee! The movie has its moments...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #25 of 36 Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 View Post

I think the fact that Disney is pouring millions into the Cars theme park in California is a great sign that Cars is well loved.

I was referring to adult reviews of Cars and Cars 2. Kids love it and they eat up its merchandising...

google some reviews...
post #26 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Liked Cars and we, too get lots of replays for the grandson. He loves it. Cars 2, not so much. Fell asleep trying to get through it and the story is not that interesting for a 3 year old. Still prefers original Cars. Must be an older kid flick.
post #27 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
post #28 of 36 Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Kids love it and they eat up its merchandising..

You're not kidding. My 5 year old nephew would have the logo tattoo'd on his head if he could. He lives and breathes Cars. It's the first thing he wants on the TV when he comes to visit.

I don't think he's the only kid like that.
post #29 of 36 Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Cars 2 wS the least enjoyable of the pixars for me. But still it wasenjoyable ifthat makes sense. I watched it in the same week iwatched how to train your dragon and megamind

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #30 of 36 Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Cars 2 wS the least enjoyable of the pixars for me. But still it wasenjoyable ifthat makes sense. I watched it in the same week iwatched how to train your dragon and megamind

Drinking and posting?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Cars 2 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo In Blu Ray Packaging

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page