Studio and Year: Disney - 2007
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1/1.85:1 (3D)
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio (3D), English 5.1 PCM, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Daniel Hansen, Wesley Singerman, Laurie Metcalf, Adam West, Angela Bassett, Tom Selleck, Jordan Fry, Matthew Josten
Directed by: Stephen J. Anderson
Music by: Danny Elfman
Written by: Jon Bernstein & Michelle Bochner
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 8, 2011

"Experience the future as only Disney can imagine it!"

Film Synopsis:

Join a brilliant young inventor named Lewis who sets off on a time-traveling journey to save the future and find the family he never knew. In the fantastical world of 1037, hip-hoppin' frogs and dogs that wear glasses are as common as talking dinosaurs. In an amazing twist, Lewis discovers that the fate of the future rests in his hands, but he can't save it alone - he'll need every bit of help he can get from the wonderfully wacky Robinson family, who help him learn to keep moving forward and never stop believing in himself.

My Take:

I reviewed Meet the Robinsons on DVD when it was originally released on home video back in 2007. As a fan of animated family entertainment I enjoyed its fun, heartwarming and encouraging story about family and the idea of belief in ones self. I haven't seen it since but looked forward to revisiting it again. Meet the Robinsons doesn't have the stirring emotion, endearing characters and compositional mosaic of some of Disney's more memorable/popular animated films but it's an entertaining and poignant family film with a timeless appeal that hasn't diminished in the four years since I last saw it. This three disc set from Disney includes the 3D Blu-ray with DTS-HD Master Audio sound and the previously released standard Blu-ray (with bonus content) and DVD.

Parental Guide:

The film is appropriate for all audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Meet the Robinsons 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

So far the majority of 3D converted films that have come to Blu-ray haven't blown me away however the last few from Disney have proven surprisingly good and Meet the Robinsons keeps the streak alive with this rewarding 3D presentation. The animated elements retain much of their 2D splendor and look terrific especially in terms of delineation and contrast. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are refined and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects/characters layered in the foreground/background. There isn't a consistent array of pop out of the screen effects but there are instances where objects extended beyond the screen to create a virtual sense of dimensionality. This revolves primarily around the more active scenes and includes flying hats, splattering peanut butter & jelly, inventions gone haywire and hovering time machines. Comparing color reproduction to the 2D presentation I saw no discernible difference. I didn't notice any overtly distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk and found this to be a fun and involving 3D adventure.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes excellent use of the entire surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity and crystalline dialogue. This mix doesn't bombard you with constantly aggressive surround sound. It applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field's never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and acoustic placement that elevates the experience. Dynamic's are excellent but not quite up to the level of the best lossless encodings that I have heard. The LFE channel is actively engaged and offers bass response that is extended, punchy and clean. This is a well rounded overall presentation that should satisfy even discerning enthusiasts.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Meet the Robinsons comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 6.9 Mbps.

This is a superlative high definition video presentation that boasts vivacious colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail is first rate as the video has definitive three dimensional quality with crisp texture and fine articulation. Contrast is strong and well balanced so that whites are crisp and colors pop without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and gradational highlights. This is a pristine quality digital transfer that looks stunning. I checked out a few key scenes for comparison of the uncompressed and DTS-HD MA soundtracks. I didn't notice any discernible difference in dynamic range and low frequency reproduction. See my comments above regarding sound quality.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Stephen Anderson

• (HD) Inventing the Robinsons - 18 minute featurette

• (HD) 6 deleted scenes with director introduction

• Keep moving forward: Inventions that shaped the world - 6 minutes

• Bowler hat barrage interactive game

• Family function 5000: Family tree interactive game

• Music videos: Kids of the future by The Jonas Brothers, Little wonders by Rob Thomas

• Movie showcase - Features 3 segments from the film

• Bonus DVD

Final Thoughts:

Meet the Robinsons is fun, heartwarming and enriching family entertainment that has a timeless appeal that is typical of Disney animated films. I enjoy its positive message about family and the idea of belief in ones self. Disney continues to impress with their technically proficient Blu-ray offerings that yield high quality audio/video presentations. This three disc offering includes the original standard Blu-ray and DVD (along with their respective bonus supplements) releases along with a new 3D converted high definition video transfer that enhances the viewing experience of this entertaining family film. If you have a 3D capable setup this Blu-ray release from Disney merits consideration for inclusion in your collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks, Ralph. I lost interest in this movie during the first one third on my initial viewing - when I was very tired. It seemed so random and jumped from one thing to another.
I gave it another go the next day, and it seemed like a completely different movie! I loved it, and it all began to make sense about 5 minutes after I'd stopped watching it the first time. That'll teach me to watch movies when I'm over-tired.

===========

post #3 of 3 Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Yeah I wouldn't call it a complicated or uninvolving plot...but if you jump in at the middle of the movie or don't feel like paying semi-close attention you'll either end up not caring or not knowing what's going on in the movie

Good movie and I plan on buying it. A better movie overall than Despicable Me in my opinion

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Meet The Robinsons Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Svs Pb13 Ultra
Gear in this thread - Meet by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page