Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 55 Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks BurtTeynolds!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

My wife isn't handy at the moment, but people on Amazon are reporting success from the following post:

"Like many, I was very frustrated with the "digital copy" offered and upon discovering the product flaw took to the interwebs and twitter to vent... @FlixsterUVHelp sent me the following link to contact customer support: support.ultraviolet.flixster.com

Just state that you want the iTunes download and provide your UV code and you will get an email back with the code you need. It will be in a form letter like this:"

Thanks (to your wife too) for this info--I've sent a trouble ticket off to them--hopefully they'll give me a way to get this movie into iTunes.

Update:
Wow--and immediate response as soon as I sent off the comment form--along with an iTunes code. I guess they have had a lot of comments.

Bob

post #33 of 55 Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Thanks (to your wife too) for this info--I've sent a trouble ticket off to them--hopefully they'll give me a way to get this movie into iTunes.

Update:
Wow--and immediate response as soon as I sent off the comment form--along with an iTunes code. I guess they have had a lot of comments.

I had the exact same experience. Makes me think we are not in the minority on this.

David Vaughn

post #34 of 55 Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3 View Post

Beware of the new Ultra-violet digital copy WB is pushing. From what I've read, its' not quite ready for prime time. Apple isn't supporting it. . . .

. . .PS. You can buy this from Amazon UK with the "old" style digital copy - but you have to wait until 12/2 - even with shipping it's about the same cost. And the Blu-ray is region-free.

Yep--this is what I ended up doing--it ended up being reasonably cost effective and included 3D in both parts 1 and 2. The no ipad thing was a complete non-starter in my book, so waiting until 12/2 will have to do. (didn't know about getting an itunes code from UV before I ordered)
post #35 of 55 Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Just watched this last night. This move is blacker than my cousin Illroy!

(yeah, I stole that from "Attack the Block", but damn the black levels were inky! Super deep.)
post #36 of 55 Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks to the above info, I emailed Flixster UltraViolet on Weds with my wish for an iTunes download code. I got an immediate auto reply. Thursday was (in the US) Thanksgiving. Today, Friday, first thing in the morning, I got a response from them with a download code, and am currently downloading the movies (movie + iTunes "extras") now. Good response from them and thanks to all here for the info.

BTW, yes, the film is dark (visually). It was also very dark in the theater. That doesn't take away from the viewing pleasure of it. I personally think it works visually and thematically, and is the best of the HP series. Your milage may vary.
post #37 of 55 Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Yep--this is what I ended up doing--it ended up being reasonably cost effective and included 3D in both parts 1 and 2. The no ipad thing was a complete non-starter in my book, so waiting until 12/2 will have to do. (didn't know about getting an itunes code from UV before I ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3 View Post

Beware of the new Ultra-violet digital copy WB is pushing. From what I've read, its' not quite ready for prime time. Apple isn't supporting it.

The biggest hang-up I have about it is apparently you can't watch a movie unless you're streaming (ie. have internet access). The whole purpose of when I watch on an ipod/ipad is when I'm away from internet access!!

Supposedly this could be fixed with future releases of app's, but so far its not there.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-drm-fails.ars

PS. You can buy this from Amazon UK with the "old" style digital copy - but you have to wait until 12/2 - even with shipping it's about the same cost. And the Blu-ray is region-free.

UPDATE: I see Amazon now has a disclaimer saying the digital copy with this movie only works in the UK. So much for that...

Exactly: I found out the hard way: Do NOT purchase these sets from the UK unless you live in the UK. In addition to not being able to use the digital copy code (unless you have a account with itunes UK, for which you need a UK billing address), you won't be able to watch the DVD either unless you have a region free player.
post #38 of 55 Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Liked: 10
Great review Mr. Potts. I have a question for you folks in regards to how this movie is displayed. I'm not sure if my set up isn't correct or if this is normal. I just purchased a Panasonic TC-P65VT30 and a Cambridge Azur 751BD Blu-ray player. I watched the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 Blu-ray (Not 3D) and there was blacked out space about 6" above and below my screen and about 1.5" to the edges as well. I'm sure this is a newbie question but hopefully someone could give me some guidance and direction. Regards.
post #39 of 55 Old 12-24-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Dan,

The bars above and below should be there, but the ones on the side shouldn't. Check the "aspect" settings on your TV.

David Vaughn

post #40 of 55 Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Ok thanks Dave. I'll check it out.
post #41 of 55 Old 12-25-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I remember falling asleep during the first two Potter films. Gradually I've become more and more interested along the way, until I saw Deathly Hallows pt 1 earlier this year. I was really shocked at how good that movie was, and I've been anxiously awaiting pt II since that time. I Vudu'd the 2d version of pt 2, and I was not let down in the least. These last two POtter films have just been amazingly entertaining. I loved the way they ended the franchise, and I'm even considering going back to revisit some of the earlier films that I didn't really give enough of a chance. Although as my Potter-loving friend pointed out, the films have become increasingly darker as they've progressed, which is probably why I've gradually become more a fan of the series as I've gone along.

But yeah, both parts of Deathly Hallows were extremely good....great review Ralph!!
post #42 of 55 Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I remember falling asleep during the first two Potter films. Gradually I've become more and more interested along the way, until I saw Deathly Hallows pt 1 earlier this year. I was really shocked at how good that movie was, and I've been anxiously awaiting pt II since that time. I Vudu'd the 2d version of pt 2, and I was not let down in the least. These last two POtter films have just been amazingly entertaining. I loved the way they ended the franchise, and I'm even considering going back to revisit some of the earlier films that I didn't really give enough of a chance. Although as my Potter-loving friend pointed out, the films have become increasingly darker as they've progressed, which is probably why I've gradually become more a fan of the series as I've gone along.

But yeah, both parts of Deathly Hallows were extremely good....great review Ralph!!

Summa, if you have learned to enjoy the movies I highly recommend the books. They blow the movies away (and I've been a fan of them as well!)

David Vaughn

post #43 of 55 Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Completely opposite for me lol 1 and 2 were good part 1 made me sleepy lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #44 of 55 Old 12-25-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Summa, if you have learned to enjoy the movies I highly recommend the books. They blow the movies away (and I've been a fan of them as well!)

thanks, Dave. I know a few others who feel as you do. I do enjoy reading, so I'll keep them on my short list.
post #45 of 55 Old 12-25-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

completely opposite for me lol 1 and 2 were good part 1 made me sleepy lol

lol!
post #46 of 55 Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

My wife, daughter and myself read the books the instant they came out. We all agree the movies are so much better having read the books. I just can't imagine what it would be like to watch the movies and not have read the books. Cheers
post #47 of 55 Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Dan,

I read the first four books aloud twice (once to my daughter, once to my son) and enjoyed every minute of each of them. By the time we reached the fifth book, they were old enough to read on their own. Thankfully, they both have a love of reading now and are both A+ students in school and I have to thank J.K. Rowling for writing books that inspired them to want to read even more. Hopefully the movies will inspire younger kids to want to go back and read the books too!

David Vaughn

post #48 of 55 Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I hope it is OK that I ask this question here. I just recieved the complete Harry Potter set on BR. That 8 disk box set that has the castle on the front and is in a dark blue box. Unless I am doing something wrong, which I don't think I am, all the movies except 6 and 7 come up only with a regular Dolby Digital sound track. The last two movies do have a high def audio track but the others only have the regular Dolby Digital track. I have to say I am a bit disapointed in that. Do the regular, stand alone BR movies have a high rez audio option? I am just confused that's all.
Thanks

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #49 of 55 Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I hope it is OK that I ask this question here. I just recieved the complete Harry Potter set on BR. That 8 disk box set that has the castle on the front and is in a dark blue box. Unless I am doing something wrong, which I don't think I am, all the movies except 6 and 7 come up only with a regular Dolby Digital sound track. The last two movies do have a high def audio track but the others only have the regular Dolby Digital track. I have to say I am a bit disapointed in that. Do the regular, stand alone BR movies have a high rez audio option? I am just confused that's all.
Thanks

Greetings,

With the earlier you will need to access the language/audio setup menu and choose the uncompressed PCM audio to get the lossless sound. Those titles default to the lossy Dolby Digital track.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #50 of 55 Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

With the earlier you will need to access the language/audio setup menu and choose the uncompressed PCM audio to get the lossless sound. Those titles default to the lossy Dolby Digital track.

Regards,

OK. Thanks. I saw that option in the menu but I was not sure if I should pick that one. I will try the second movie with that audio selected. I think it just says something like multi channel on the front of my Integra 80.2 with that option so I was not sure if that was better or worse. Thanks again.

My System
post #51 of 55 Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

And Ralph, just so I can show my ignorance some more . Doing what you said about selecting PCM audio will work if I am using an HDMI cable right? I always see PCM audio listed but to be honest, I don't know what it means or stands for

My System
post #52 of 55 Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

And Ralph, just so I can show my ignorance some more . Doing what you said about selecting PCM audio will work if I am using an HDMI cable right? I always see PCM audio listed but to be honest, I don't know what it means or stands for

PCM is uncompressed audio, which sounds just as good at DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, it's just not compressed like those other formats and takes up a lot more space on the disc.

David Vaughn

post #53 of 55 Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PCM is uncompressed audio, which sounds just as good at DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, it's just not compressed like those other formats and takes up a lot more space on the disc.

Thanks. When I get a chance I will watch the other films, besides 6 and 7, that way.

My System
post #54 of 55 Old 02-06-2012, 04:25 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 201
This film finished well for the potter franchise. I hope one day they do a presequel for the potter franchise telling the story of Tom Riddle.

Frank

post #55 of 55 Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan L Beattie View Post

I just can't imagine what it would be like to watch the movies and not have read the books. Cheers

I can! When LOTR came out, and Harry Potter started up at the
same time, I was a big long-time LOTR fan (back to 1960'). I
thought the first two LOTR moves were mostly well done but with seriously
botched areas, and the last one just plain seriously botched.

So I decided not to do any Harry Potter until the last movie came out.
So I watched all the movies, in succession, one every other day
for 15 days. Once and only once.

Then I read all the books. After the first read of all the books
I thought the movies had given a good overview of the books ...
no obvious botches. But remember I had seen the movies only once.
Then I carefully studied the books, and finally watched all the
moves again, twice.

At this point the changes made in the movies became obvious.
Overall I was quite pleased at how the movies were done. The "point"
of the whole story was was faithfully carried to the movies.
Sure, they were highly simplified, and some of the major characters
were given parts played in the books by lesser characters, but
this was well done. I thought the final scenes, Snape's death and
later, were well done despite the obvious changes. The idea
of having Neville kill Nagini actually during a period when Harry
and Voldy had "connected wands" was a nice touch. The Harry/Voldy
flight scene was silly, but of course no big budget action movie can be
made without some egregiously stupid action scene at the end.

The Epilog was necessary in the movie, as in the book, to
prevent Harry/Voldy sequels. Of course there is no reason that
Harry himself can't return as a magical Sherlock Holmes or James Bond.
There are plenty of Death Eaters left.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Harry Potter The Complete 8 Film Collection Blu Ray , Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Harry by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page