Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
attachment.php?attachmentid=227271&d=1320613628
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.4:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Daniel Radcliff, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Ralph Fiennes, Jason Issacs, Warwick Davis, David Thewlis, Helena Bonham Carter, Cieran Hinds, Julie Waters, Bonnie Wright, Tom Felton, Evanna Lynch
Directed by: David Yates
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Steven Kloves based on the novel by J.K. Rowling
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 11, 2011

"It all ends"

Film Synopsis:

In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war. The stakes have never been higher and no one is safe. But it is Harry who may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as he draws closer to the climactic showdown with Lord Voldemort. It all ends here.

My Take:

I haven’t read any of the Harry Potter books, although my children have. My experience with the stories have all been through the films which date back to 2001’s Sorcerer’s Stone. Currently I am the only one in my house that still enjoys the Potter films. I have seen each of them during their respective theatrical runs and while I haven’t found them all to be equally entertaining I can’t say that there is one that I haven’t liked. The earlier films undeniably brought these delightful characters to life and endeared them to us while fundamentally establishing with each subsequent installment, the books theme of good versus evil. With each film we see Lord Voldemort becoming stronger and the tone shifting from seemingly brief (sometime humorous) moments of recoverable peril to mortality invoking danger that has serious/permanent consequences. Deathly Hallows part 1 began the final leg of the journey with Harry, Hermoine and Ron seeking out the Horcrux’s in an attempt to stop Voldemort. He and his minions have taken over the Ministry of Magic, invaded Hogwarts and have successfully turned the wizarding world into a dark place where no one can be trusted. The Order of the Phoenix takes a serious hit while trying to protect Harry. The skirmish results in Harry, Ron and Hermoine being separated from them and left to continue on their own. With danger around every corner they must rely upon spells to remain hidden from prying eyes as they search for the Horcrux’s. With a little luck they locate one of them only to find that it can only be destroyed by the Sword of Godric Gryffindor which has disappeared.

As they search for answers the trio struggles under the pressure of hopelessness while narrowly surviving dangerous engagements with Death Eaters seeking to capture Harry. With the assistance of a three handed down trinkets and a trail of bread crumbs that lead them into dire circumstances that come to test the limits of their unshakable friendship, they locate the missing sword, destroy the Horcrux and learn of the Deathly Hallows, three magical objects: the all powerful Elder Wand, The Resurrection Stone and the Cloak of Invisibility. With the noose of Lord Voldemort’s power tightening Ron, Hermoine and Harry find themselves trapped by deception and facing insurmountable odds. Realizing now that Lord Voldemort seeks the Elder Wand as a means to kill Harry they are locked in a race against time in the hopes of discovering it before he does. Unfortunately time has run out. Deathly Hallows part 2 continues where part 1 left off as Harry, Hermoine, and Ron, with the assistance of Griphook, seek to infiltrate Gringott’s (in disguise) to gain access to Bellatrix’s vault which contains one of the Horcruxs. Things don’t go as smoothly as planned however, thanks to Hermoine, the trio manages a fairly clean get away. After escaping to Hogsmead and learning the location of the next Horcrux Ron, Hermoine, and Harry find themselves where it all begin, Hogwarts. There they are joined by what is left of the Order of the Phoenix, fellow students, and faculty as they stand together for the last time against the evil Lord Voldemort and his minions.

I have never read any of the Potter books and my only frame of reference for its world and characters is through the films. I am most decidedly a fan and enjoy each of the installments in the series for various reasons. With these final installments the prevalence of carefree moments, romantic entanglements and whimsical allegory takes a backseat to a foreboding sense of dread and the spiraling suspense that accompanies it. What remains constant is the unflappable bond between the three main characters. Some didn’t care for Deathly Hallows part 1 but I enjoyed it and looked forward to what I knew would be a terrific climax in Deathly Hallows part 2. I saw it in the theater and loved it. There is plenty of action, answers to looming questions, and melodrama as the clock ticks down to the film’s emotional and satisfying finale. I must admit to feeling a little melancholy as over the years I have enjoyed all of the Harry Potter films as well as watching the terrific cast that brought these endearing characters to life. I wanted to sit and watch Deathly Hallows part 1 & 2 back to back but time didn’t permit it. When I have a break in my review schedule I will spin them together as I think it will make the experience even better. I thank author JK Rowling, the cast, the various production teams and Warner Bros. for an entertaining 10 year journey.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material, scary images, violence, and mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 comes to Blu-ray from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

The look of this film does not lend itself to use of eye popping colors, boldly applied contrast or definitive sharpness. The world where most of the film takes place is made up of large amounts of CGI which is interwoven with both real objects and people. It has a typically distinctive visual design that often gives it the appearance and feel of a dream. The film intentionally uses low level lighting and mixed light/dark elements which emboldens the story’s fantasy world. The color palette isn’t particularly extensive as sepia tones, grays and other neutral colors are heavily utilized. Blacks are deep, noise free and dynamic. Shadow delineation is excellent which gives the film’s multitude of low lit sequences and darker elements plenty of depth and dimension. Contrast is spot on so that whites appear dynamic and punchy when appropriate without being overcooked and washed out. Fine detail is readily perceivable in close ups while backgrounds during long range shots tend to appear less definitive. This appears to be innate to the photography and reminiscent of how the film looked during its theatrical presentation. I didn’t see any overt signs of compression related anomalies or deleterious artifacts. The result is an excellent high definition presentation that appears faithful to the director’s vision.

This lossless audio presentation, like Deathly Hallows part 1, is used like a canvas to paint a picture that brings the fantasy world of Harry Potter to life. The entire surround platform is used to overlay the film’s discretely placed directional and venue replicating ambient effects. Superlative detail and clarity bring forth every nuance within the recording so that each was discernibly distinguishable. There are several sequences, such as the trip through the bowels of Gringott’s, the assault on Hogwarts, or the aurally engaging simulation of Lord Voldemort’s voice inside your head, that transform the room into a three dimensional soundstage brimming with immersive 360 degree surround activity that revolves around the listening position. Low frequency effects frequently produce deep, authoritative bass that pressurizes the room. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that produces just the slightest hint of sibilance in the upper registers (it didn’t require a deduction). This is a wonderfully involving and dynamically energized sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, seamless integration, and rhythmically charged bass extension. I thoroughly enjoyed this superb audio/video presentation that most certainly compliments this involving film.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) Maximum Movie Mode: Interactive in-movie experience hosted by Matthew Lewis, David Heyman (producer) and other members of the cast/crew. It features a plethora of interviews, behind the scene details, concept art, deleted scenes and more.

• (HD) Focus Points (26 minutes total) :
  • Aberforth Dumbledore

• Deathly Hallows costume changes

• Harry returns to Hogwarts

• The Hogwarts shield

• The room of requirement set

• The fiery escape

• Neville’s stand

• Molly takes down Bellatrix

• (HD) Final farewells from the cast/crew

• BD-Live enabled

• Disc 2:

• (HD) Behind the story:

1. A conversation with JK Rowling & Daniel Radcliff – 53 minutes
    2. The goblins of Gringotts – 11 minutes
    3. The women of Harry Potter – 22 minutes

• (HD) 8 deleted scenes

• (HD) Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – 1 minute promo

• (HD) Pottermore – JK Rowling introduces her new website – 1 minute promo

• Bonus DVD of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=227272&d=1320613628

Final Thoughts:

Admittedly I am a fan of the Harry Potter film series and have looked forward each installment. The Deathly Hallows part 2 is a well executed and engaging film that makes for a terrific series finale. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video in a top notch offering that features excellent high definition video and reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio sound that is sure to be appreciated by home theater enthusiasts. The inclusion of a well designed and comprehensive set of interactive bonus features enhances an already strong package that comes highly recommended and is a must have for Potter fans. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another great review, Ralph!

I have to say though that the Ultraviolet Digital Copy is kind of a deal breaker for me.
post #3 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Cannot wait for this one on Friday. I'll be watching Part 1 later this week as I don't have it commited to memory so I don't miss anything I might have initially.

I thought the PQ score elsewhere was too high given the prior film was shot the same way and around the same time.

Thanks for getting to this one, Ralph, much appreciated!
post #4 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.4:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 comes to Blu-ray from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

Thanks for the review. Ralph double check and see which encoding was used (AVC or VC-1).
post #5 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Thanks for the review. Ralph double check and see which encoding was used (AVC or VC-1).

Greetings,

Corrected. Thanks for catching that Wendell..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #6 of 55 Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
My digital copy code is blank, so once the disc streets I'll have to fight to get a damn code. Although I haven't watched many digital copies, I added a hard drive to my computer in order to save them all (just in case ).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I will have to purchase at BB for the exclusive 3D version on Friday.
post #8 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of all the HP series this has to be the best one because of the amount of action and well played story.

Hate to buy this because i know the studio will be releasing a full scale collection series in the future. Very tempting though...
post #9 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Was this filmed in 3d or is it a 2D - 3D conversion?
post #10 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Out of all the HP series this has to be the best one because of the amount of action and well played story.

Hate to buy this because i know the studio will be releasing a full scale collection series in the future. Very tempting though...

I've seen every one of these in the Theater except this one ( new baby makes it difficult to make it to the movies), I hate to buy this one as well, as the whole set suppose to come out pretty soon. Should I buy or should I wait

Djoel
post #11 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Great review, Ralph--I'm really looking forward to this one. That's amazing that you are the only one in your family who still enjoys watching these films--I love all of them and enjoy watching them over and over. At least I'm not alone there.

Bob

post #12 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've seen every one of these in the Theater except this one ( new baby makes it difficult to make it to the movies), I hate to buy this one as well, as the whole set suppose to come out pretty soon. Should I buy or should I wait

Djoel

Me too. I've seen every single one and was never disappointed but this last one just slams it!

Bro just wait. No use in double dipping if you're a big fan especially with the new baby. As much as i would love to buy this myself the complete collectors(or maybe even extended version) edition is worth the wait. Kind of like The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. Keep on spinning bra!
post #13 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too. I've seen every single one and was never disappointed but this last one just slams it!

Bro just wait. No use in double dipping if you're a big fan especially with the new baby. As much as i would love to buy this myself the complete collectors(or maybe even extended version) edition is worth the wait. Kind of like The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. Keep on spinning bra!

Great advice, I think I'll rent this one...I've been burn a few times, and the most resent, you guessed it "Lord Of the Rings" Hm that one got me a few times

Thanks

Djoel
post #14 of 55 Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

SPOILER ALERT--

Those of you who read the book: I was wondering what you all thought about the changes the film guys made to the ending?

I thought they completely removed the core concept in the book of showing remorse and instead replaced it with a stereotypical shoot 'em up type ending. Plus, that lame sequence with Ron and Hermione running from the snake. However, the worse crime for me was reducing Neville's part at the end to a mere trviality. I did think they did a nice job with the epilogue, however.
post #15 of 55 Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

SPOILER ALERT--

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
However, the worse crime for me was reducing Neville's part at the end to a mere trviality.

I thought quite the opposite:

Spoiler  
Neville not only destroys the final Horcrux but in doing so directly saves Ron and Hermione from Nagini.

The maximum movie mode in the last few Harry Potter movies has done a very good job in explaining some of the more complex plot points, particularly the appearance and disappearance of the Sword of Gryffindor.
post #16 of 55 Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great advice, I think I'll rent this one...I've been burn a few times, and the most resent, you guessed it "Lord Of the Rings" Hm that one got me a few times

Thanks

Djoel

Good news Djoel!

It looks like we don't have to wait much longer for the complete HP series because it comes out on November 11 which is this friday. Check it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Since you mentioned LOTR i still have my raincheck price of $69 bucks for the Extended Edition BR which i need to buy.

Note: The HP Complete Collection Years 1-7 are NOT the Extended Editions. These are just reboxed single series which probably doesn't offer too many extra features on them.
post #17 of 55 Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good news Djoel!

It looks like we don't have to wait much longer for the complete HP series because it comes out on November 11 which is this friday. Check it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Since you mentioned LOTR i still have my raincheck price of $69 bucks for the Extended Edition BR which i need to buy.

Note: The HP Complete Collection Years 1-7 are NOT the Extended Editions. These are just reboxed single series which probably doesn't offer too many extra features on them.

I've seen the commercial for the last installation half a dozen times, and just yesterday I notice the mention of the whole 7 flicks in one box set. What had me confuse was these emails I get from Warner Brothers, which might have been 3 month ago saying that they were coming, and the different flavors of the sets..1 through 7, 6 only, 6 and 7 together..All that info just put me in a tail spin Now my biggest decision is to wait for the extended version, or just buy on Fri It never ends.

Thanks for the info again

Djoel
post #18 of 55 Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've seen the commercial for the last installation half a dozen times, and just yesterday I notice the mention of the whole 7 flicks in one box set. What had me confuse was these emails I get from Warner Brothers, which might have been 3 month ago saying that they were coming, and the different flavors of the sets..1 through 7, 6 only, 6 and 7 together..All that info just put me in a tail spin Now my biggest decision is to wait for the extended version, or just buy on Fri It never ends.

Djoel

I've also been waiting for the extended/ultimate box set to buy (re-buy) on BR.

Mike
post #19 of 55 Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now my biggest decision is to wait for the extended version, or just buy on Fri It never ends.

Djoel

Just wait bro. Unless you want to do another LOTR double dipping remake? lol Keep on spinning and by the time you're done the EE will be here. lol
post #20 of 55 Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I've also been waiting for the extended/ultimate box set to buy (re-buy) on BR.

Mike

Yeah Mike I'm going to waited out a bit then, I owned 1 to 4 or 5? on HDDVD, and was tempted to purchased a few on Blu, but no way gotta do this the right way..BTW Awesome build thread you got there..

Quote:

Just wait bro. Unless you want to do another LOTR double dipping remake? lol Keep on spinning and by the time you're done the EE will be here. lol

Easier said than done but I think I've learned my lesson this time, I owned as many here the standard DVD EE LOTR as well So I must be strong

Djoel
post #21 of 55 Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

Is this confirmed? I only read of speculation about it, but no confirmation, and some of the speculation was that it would only be available in a starter pack bundle type deal.

Max

***P.S. Just thought I'd mention for anyone interested that I DID get confirmation from BB that they are in fact, releasing the 3D version of this on 11/11 for general sale.
post #22 of 55 Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Got the 3D at Best Buy! This probably isn't the thread to talk about it, but the 3D conversion was well done and added a bit to the gothic atmosphere. No spoilers here, but it was a nice windup and the easiest of the movies to follow. Now I'll watch it in 2D and try to find the scenes with Clemence ("In Bruges") Poesy.
post #23 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Watched this last night (2D)--actually watched Part 1 and 2 yesterday to keep the continuity going. Loved both of them but enjoyed part 1 a bit more than part 2. I haven't read the books so I can't compare but personally, I would have been happy if they used other content from the book and not the ending scene 19 years later. That was really of little value to me and I'd have rather seen more development of the events leading to the end of Voldemort. Still, a great movie and a fine end to the series! PQ and AQ were excellent--lots of nice LFE effects. A very enjoyable evening.

Bob

post #24 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

My digital copy code is blank, so once the disc streets I'll have to fight to get a damn code. Although I haven't watched many digital copies, I added a hard drive to my computer in order to save them all (just in case ).

Beware of the new Ultra-violet digital copy WB is pushing. From what I've read, its' not quite ready for prime time. Apple isn't supporting it.

The biggest hang-up I have about it is apparently you can't watch a movie unless you're streaming (ie. have internet access). The whole purpose of when I watch on an ipod/ipad is when I'm away from internet access!!

Supposedly this could be fixed with future releases of app's, but so far its not there.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-drm-fails.ars

PS. You can buy this from Amazon UK with the "old" style digital copy - but you have to wait until 12/2 - even with shipping it's about the same cost. And the Blu-ray is region-free.

UPDATE: I see Amazon now has a disclaimer saying the digital copy with this movie only works in the UK. So much for that...
post #25 of 55 Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

^^
Seems even worse that just Harry Potter--at least for me Flixster is totally inaccessible today. I'm sure it is not a coincidence that Harry Potter was released yesterday.

Update:

Website seems to be working now but I'm not real impressed with yet another way you have to watch movies.

Bob

post #26 of 55 Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 PM

For what its worth, my wife was able to email Flixster support and complain about being misled with the term "digital copy". They actually sent her an iTunes code for the movie, so we have a "real" digital copy now.

Ultraviolet will hopefully be short lived. The whole point of obtaining a digital copy is to watch in places where we don't have internet without lugging discs around. Being able to screen it offers me zero advantages.
post #27 of 55 Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Burt, Thanks for the follow-up. Did it, too, and got an iTunes copy. Ralph, great review, couldn't agree more.

-H

"Luck is not in the spec." -A friend of mine
post #28 of 55 Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger93 View Post

Burt, Thanks for the follow-up. Did it, too, and got an iTunes copy. Ralph, great review, couldn't agree more.

-H

Who did you guys email or talk to. I sent a complaint last night and I haven't heard anything back.

Thanks,

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #29 of 55 Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

For what its worth, my wife was able to email Flixster support and complain about being misled with the term "digital copy". They actually sent her an iTunes code for the movie, so we have a "real" digital copy now.

Ultraviolet will hopefully be short lived. The whole point of obtaining a digital copy is to watch in places where we don't have internet without lugging discs around. Being able to screen it offers me zero advantages.

Yes--it truly sucks. I downloaded it just to see the process and because there is no way to put the movie where you want it, I ended up losing about 5 months of my Time Machine backup because of it trying to backup this 2GB file that I couldn't put on my external drive. At least I never saw any options on designating a location. I deleted it so I wouldn't lose any more of my backups. I too hope it dies quickly.

Bob

post #30 of 55 Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Who did you guys email or talk to. I sent a complaint last night and I haven't heard anything back.

Thanks,

My wife isn't handy at the moment, but people on Amazon are reporting success from the following post:

"Like many, I was very frustrated with the "digital copy" offered and upon discovering the product flaw took to the interwebs and twitter to vent... @FlixsterUVHelp sent me the following link to contact customer support: support.ultraviolet.flixster.com

Just state that you want the iTunes download and provide your UV code and you will get an email back with the code you need. It will be in a form letter like this:"
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Harry Potter The Complete 8 Film Collection Blu Ray , Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page