post #61 of 91 Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmwallm View Post

i got a new nr-609 onkyo and old but pretty decent klipsch speaker fronts and sides,sub and a good other brand front ...audessy calibrated and using front highs...
Everything sounded fine....until the train came...I noticed first that when the kids were trying to yell over the train , it was more like the train sound stayed the same but the kids volume was not drowned out but almost sounded like their volume got turned down. Then the crash...not a lot of bass...just in extreme points of explosions sometimes. Very center weighted and not...loud...when the train car went through the station, once again it seemed like it got quiet...as soon as the train wreck was over things sounded fine again..tons of bass and space when the monster was hitting the car to get out...
almost like a volume compression...but i dont have it turned on. i think.
The school bus attack sounded much more awesome..tons of cool bass and lots of suround...
Is this a possible problem with audessy high speakers configuration when you actually have true 7.1 descreet that are mixed with rears & sides?

Just want to make sure before i post in another forum that it isnt anything with the Blu-Ray mix. i am quite the noob.

Greetings,

This is a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack which automatically sets the Onkyo's Night Listening Mode to "Auto". You have to manually set it to off once the track begins playing. Do that and watch some of these scenes over and see what you think.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I checked the opening several minutes again finally, last night, and there is no activity beyond the basic 5.1 until 16:38 into the film, as the train approaches the station. Then finally the extra two surround channels wake up. I didn't check beyond that point but I assume the other reviewer was correct that it's essentially a 5.1 mix with occasional 7.1 implementation.
post #63 of 91 Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

This is a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack which automatically sets the Onkyo's Night Listening Mode to "Auto". You have to manually set it to off once the track begins playing. Do that and watch some of these scenes over and see what you think.

Regards,

Already returned it to Netflix but thanks for that, I also have an Onkyo receiver and never thought to check that it would override my settings, will have to check it out next play (was thinking of buying it anyways).

post #64 of 91 Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched it last night and really liked it. Sound and picture quality very excellent (I only have 5.1) and of course the train scene had my THT thumping along. I found the movie to really be more about the kids than the creature. The creature/military's involvement came secondary, IMO, to the kids interactions amongst one another and with their parents. Being 43 I definitely appreciate the 79-80 backdrop. Where's my Back in Black record, er, CD
post #65 of 91 Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 AM

Liked: 11
I rented this Bluray title last night. What a wonderful film. I had no idea what to expect. It's great when a film surprises you and you end up really enjoying it. I had the same reaction with Cloverfield. Recommended!

As someone mentioned earlier,The blue lens flares were very distracting. I also thought they were due to a problem with the disk.
post #66 of 91 Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Greetings,

Regards,

Thank you! Your recommendations really made me dig deep in settings..and not just in my receiver.

Well those ideas didnt really make a difference, but it did some. It was my blu-ray. It was sending PCM.

OMG what a difference when it was sent " bistream audiofile". Personally I think that is a horrible term and it sounded like it was some custom stream sent by samsung, and I wanted something pure. I know there is an official term for a pure stream.

The train wreck literally knocked me off the chair.
so many settings. so little time.
post #67 of 91 Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmwallm View Post

Thank you! Your recommendations really made me dig deep in settings..and not just in my receiver.

Well those ideas didnt really make a difference, but it did some. It was my blu-ray. It was sending PCM.

OMG what a difference when it was sent " bistream audiofile". Personally I think that is a horrible term and it sounded like it was some custom stream sent by samsung, and I wanted something pure. I know there is an official term for a pure stream.

The train wreck literally knocked me off the chair.
so many settings. so little time.

Greetings,

Glad to hear that your changes made a difference. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #68 of 91 Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Goota say this movie is AWESOME!!! I'm 38 and watched it with my 13 year old son. We enjoyed it so much we watched in our HT back to back. This movie is a combination of a modern day "Goonies" meets "CloverField" a must for ANY HT. Good job Ralph

-Alan
post #69 of 91 Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Really enjoyed this movie. Great audio as well!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #70 of 91 Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ralph, your reviews of the audio and video were spot on as usual. I even (mostly) agreed with your assessment of the movie itself.

The dynamics were the best part of the sound. I loved the subtle use of LFE.

Thanks.
post #71 of 91 Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Ralph, your reviews of the audio and video were spot on as usual. I even (mostly) agreed with your assessment of the movie itself.

The dynamics were the best part of the sound. I loved the subtle use of LFE.

Thanks.

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it allargon.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #72 of 91 Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ralph, if I am using an Integra 80.2, would I have to go anywhere and "reset" the settings like you mention in post 61?
If I do have to check this, can I do it while the movie is running? Do I just go into the menu system of the Integra, set it to off and exit out? Or, is there a permanent setting I can set in the Integra so it would never go to a "night mode" or something similar.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #73 of 91 Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Liked: 16
Super8 just came in for me from netflix as well,after reading comments on the audio i'm all pump up to watch it. Just hope my jbl is up to the task .
Gonna watch it this weekend i'm excited
post #74 of 91 Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Ralph, if I am using an Integra 80.2, would I have to go anywhere and "reset" the settings like you mention in post 61?
If I do have to check this, can I do it while the movie is running? Do I just go into the menu system of the Integra, set it to off and exit out? Or, is there a permanent setting I can set in the Integra so it would never go to a "night mode" or something similar.

Greetings,

Mike, sorry for the delayed response (missed your post somehow). While the film is playing back (Dolby TrueHD) switch the Late Night mode on the Integra from Auto to Off. There is no permenant way to disable this function for Dolby TrueHD sources with the Onkyo/Integra which means once the unit is powered off and back on you would have to do it again the next time you are watching a title with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #75 of 91 Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Great review! I watched this on my friend's HT and thought the train crash scene would be excellent for a great sound system. Unfortunately his fell a little short
post #76 of 91 Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rented this from Redbox and am watching now. Train wreck scene was incredible.... up there near the top of show-off scenes. I have a decent but certainly not high-end 5 spkr. system... still, the mirror on the wall in adjacent room was moving.... wife wasn't happy.

...and yes, the blue streaks are annoying.
post #77 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Mike, sorry for the delayed response (missed your post somehow). While the film is playing back (Dolby TrueHD) switch the Late Night mode on the Integra from Auto to Off. There is no permenant way to disable this function for Dolby TrueHD sources with the Onkyo/Integra which means once the unit is powered off and back on you would have to do it again the next time you are watching a title with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

Regards,

No prob Ralph. OK. For this kind of stuff, I admit, I am an rookie with this stuff. So, I put in the movie, start to play it and then hit the menu for the Integra, disengage the night mode, then exit the Integra menu? Is that right? I have never tried that before. I have played other TrueHD movies and I did not feel that anything was lacking in the bass department. I guess not every movie with a TrueHD sound track has this issue.

My System
post #78 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

No prob Ralph. OK. For this kind of stuff, I admit, I am an rookie with this stuff. So, I put in the movie, start to play it and then hit the menu for the Integra, disengage the night mode, then exit the Integra menu? Is that right? I have never tried that before. I have played other TrueHD movies and I did not feel that anything was lacking in the bass department. I guess not every movie with a TrueHD sound track has this issue.

Greetings,

That's right Mike. In most cases the Auto Night Mode setting will have no effect on the sound. It's when there is a flag imbedded in the signal that engages the dynamic range compression that it becomes an issue. I don't leave it to chance and switch it to OFF with all TrueHD source material.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #79 of 91 Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So I tried this movie again. When it started I was able to get to that particular menu section. Sure enough it was on. So, I turned it off. The movie did sound better. The bus attack scene was noticeably better. Thanks for the tip Ralph. I will check other TRUHD movies as well, just to make sure

My System
post #80 of 91 Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
This film was fantastic. I really enjoyed it a great blind buy.

Frank
post #81 of 91 Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Super 8 got the a-okay from everyone in the house after its screening. There was something for everyone, apparently. Even my sister-in-law liked it, who normally abhors films with any kind of violence; as this was offset by the talented young actors and emotional impact of some scenes.
post #82 of 91 Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I rented this movie without knowing what it was about. The train crash was awesome, my sound system was alive! I was BBQing on my deck and a neighbor heard the train crash and asked if the noise was bothering me. Told her it was a movie I was watching!

She said wow you must have a really good home theater!

I'm gonna buy this movie, loved it!

Afro GT
post #83 of 91 Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I rented this movie without knowing what it was about. The train crash was awesome, my sound system was alive! I was BBQing on my deck and a neighbor heard the train crash and asked if the noise was bothering me. Told her it was a movie I was watching!

She said wow you must have a really good home theater!

I'm gonna buy this movie, loved it!

I agree that train crash scene was really good.

Frank
post #84 of 91 Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 AM

My wife an I watched this lastnight - redbox rental - as others have said I wasn't a fan of the lens flares and the train crash scene was not realistic, the part where the tanker flies over the top looks very CGI and the truck driver lived...right.

I have an Onkyo receiver and sony bluray bitstream so it was showing up as truehd on my Onkyo display, and I couldnt believe the range volume levels in the movie. if found myself cranking it up to hear the kids dialog then any explosion or alien scene i felt like I was waking the neighbors. maybe I dont have a setting right but I havent noticed it in any other movies. anyone else notice that?
post #85 of 91 Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerethemiah View Post

My wife an I watched this lastnight - redbox rental - as others have said I wasn't a fan of the lens flares and the train crash scene was not realistic, the part where the tanker flies over the top looks very CGI and the truck driver lived...right.

I have an Onkyo receiver and sony bluray bitstream so it was showing up as truehd on my Onkyo display, and I couldnt believe the range volume levels in the movie. if found myself cranking it up to hear the kids dialog then any explosion or alien scene i felt like I was waking the neighbors. maybe I dont have a setting right but I havent noticed it in any other movies. anyone else notice that?

Greetings,

See my post in this thread regarding this subject. Here is the direct link:

Onkyo/TrueHD soundtracks

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #86 of 91 Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Bought this BR several weeks back, and finally watched it yesterday afternoon when the Daytona 500 was rained out.

Myself and two buddies (all in our 50s) really enjoyed the movie.

Thanks for your review, Ralph!

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #87 of 91 Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing Super 8 based on Ralph's review, and because I really liked Cloverfield. I just wish the price would come down a bit.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

oz
post #88 of 91 Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing Super 8 based on Ralph's review, and because I really liked Cloverfield. I just wish the price would come down a bit.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

Greetings,

Take the plunge ozar!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #89 of 91 Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Take the plunge ozar!

Yeah, I did right after my previous post. I was able to find a new copy on eBay for a great price so took advantage of it, and now looking forward to watching it upon arrival.

oz
post #90 of 91 Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Greetings,

Take the plunge ozar!

Regards,

I agree its a kind of film that can viewed many times.

Frank
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Super 8 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page