West Side Story (Blu-ray) 50th Anniversary Edition Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 619
attachment.php?attachmentid=226493&d=1319827523
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: MGM
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Feature running time: 153 minutes
Genre: Musical

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.20:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English 4.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Richard Beymer, Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, George Chakiris, Russ Tamblyn, Simon Oakland
Directed by: Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins
Music by: Leonard Bernstein/Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Written by: Ernest Lehmen based on the book by Arthur Laurents
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 15, 2011

"Simply Spectacular!"

Film Synopsis:

A love affair is fated for tragedy amidst the vicious rivalry of two street gangs, the Jets and the Sharks. When Jets member Tony (Richard Beymer) falls for Maria (Natalie Wood), the sister of the Sharks leader, it's more than these two warring gangs can handle. And as mounting tensions rise, innocent blood is shed in a heartbreaking finale.

My Take:

This enigmatic film sets the ageless story of Romeo and Juliet against a backdrop of gang warfare in 1950’s New York. My love of West side story goes back to my childhood when it was first aired on prime time television. I can remember being enthralled by the powerful/affecting drama that accompanied the story. Back then TV was the only way to see classic films like West side story (no home video!) and it was broadcast in prime time annually (like the Wizard of Oz, Sound of music, Rudolph the red nosed reindeer etc.). The day after it would air we would run around the school yard pretending to be the Sharks and Jets. As a youngster I didn’t have an appreciation for the full scope of West side story. I liked some of the music but saw it as an interruption. It wasn’t until I was older that I came to see West side story for the total sum of its parts.

I love this film. The forbidden love/tragedy ala Romeo & Juliet, the visceral depiction of cultural clashes/racial tension, the period inner city gang violence/turf war, and the underlying thematic message regarding the results of bigotry/hatred and ultimately the loss of innocence. Leonard Bernstein’s magnificent music, Stephen Sondheim’s moving lyrics and Jerome Robbins’ superlative choreography drive the story and fuel its passion, drama, action/violence, and comradery. The production, meaning the set design, cinematography, and artistic choices are perfectly executed and integrated so as to seamlessly enhance every aspect of the film. The primary cast does a first rate job on both sides of the performance, meaning acting and dancing. As an ensemble the dance routines performed by the cast are simply amazing to watch. Its integration and stylized components were groundbreaking and still stand as sparkling achievements.

A few of my favorite moments; The opening title shot (overhead pan of the NY City skyline), The entire gym/dance sequence (including Tony & Maria’s cha cha), “America”, “Tonight”, Schrank proving the Sharks point (during the war council meeting), “Quintet” (the music montage preceding the rumble), The rumble (music/fight choreography), “Cool” (probably my favorite dance sequence next to America), The dramatic exchange between Maria/Anita (“A boy like that”), Maria’s final say, and the implementation of the end credits. My favorite character is Anita followed closely by Bernardo (this is due in large part to the wonderful performances of George Chakiris and Rita Moreno). My least favorite character is Tony who is annoyingly ebullient and naïve. West side story is truly a classic that epitomizes the movie-musical genre. It is ingrained in our pop culture and in addition to this film has seen various productions, references and emulations.

Five decades after its debut, it hasn’t lost any of its luster and remains a timeless classic with the ability to dazzle audiences young and old. With a record-breaking ten Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Original Score, the film took home more awards than any other movie-musical in the history of cinema. West side story: 50th Anniversary Edition boasts newly restored video, 7.1 digital audio, and a collection of bonus features spotlighting the harmonious songs and elaborate dances of the original film. In addition to this 3 disc Blu-ray Collector’s Edition there will be a Limited Edition 4-Disc Boxed Set featuring 2 disc Blu-ray, newly-restored DVD, Tribute CD and collectible memorabilia. It has been a number of years since I have seen West Side Story and this revisit invigorated my enthusiasm for it.

Parental Guide:

The film contains thematic material, language, gang violence and teen smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

West Side Story comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

Let’s get the bad out of the way up front. Someone seriously dropped the ball as the film's opening fade in/transition title sequence fails to fade out/dissolve. I am at a loss as to how the title could have been released this way however it appears that a reissue is in the works (no further details on that). Transitions going from the film to the in-movie viewing mode feature aren’t smooth either which results in momentary fluctuations in color/contrast/resolution. Reverting back afterward isn’t an issue. Noisy backgrounds were evident during a few (light to dark) scene transitions as well but I would say this isn't overtly problematic. Those issues aside this presentation delivered fair to good overall image quality that predominantly appeared faithful to the film’s original elements. Its high definition video offers an appreciable level of detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of New York City appear vivid with a pleasing level of saturation and dimension. Sharpness is good but fluctuates which could be an innate quality attributable to the photography. The variety of period colors and earth toned hues look splendid in high definition. Blues are vibrant deeply saturated and eye catching while reds appear to lean a bit toward orange. Blacks are punchy which increases depth perception in low lit sequences (the city streets at night look great). Those same scenes have an improved sense of depth thanks to an appreciable amount of detail visible in dark backgrounds. Grain is preserved naturally and is noticeable throughout. Occasionally it takes on more prominence but I didn’t find it to be distracting. So what are we left with? A promising but flawed rendering that should by all accounts be corrected. Flawed or not I must admit to enjoying the majority of this high definition presentation as I have never seen West Side Story look this good. Should they reissue it and forward me a copy I will amend this review to incorporate the changes.

I chose the lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio track during my evaluation however there is also a lossy Dolby Digital 4.0 track. The lossless track readily handled the elements contained in the recording. The presentation retains a front loaded perspective with well defined dialogue that has average room penetration. I would have preferred a bit more depth/weight to sounds and voices but that is a limitation of the recording. I would rather have it sound natural than artificially enhanced and I think that for the most part this presentation achieves that. The soundfield is one dimensional, with discernible front channel separation and good clarity. The soundstage opens up nicely during the musical set pieces and provides bass response that is proportionate and adequate. Considering the age of this recording dynamics had fair solidity and impact. The rear channels supply ambient extension that broadens the soundfield and enhances envelopment. Compared to today’s movie soundtracks this presentation sounds a bit dated however all things considered I was pleased with it.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Song specific audio commentary with Stephen Sondheim

• Music Machine – Direct access to the musical set pieces featured in the film

• (HD) Pow! The Dances of West Side Story: In-movie viewing mode that features interviews, production stills and commentary breakdown of the dance sequences

• Disc 2:

• (HD) A place for us: West Side Story’s legacy:

1. Creation and innovation – 15 minute featurette
    2. A timeless vision – 14 minute featurette

• (HD) West Side memories – 55 minute documentary

• Storyboard to film comparison montage

• 4 Trailers

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD of West Side Story

Final Thoughts:

Final Thoughts:

West side story is a marvelous film that truly epitomizes the movie-musical genre. It has become ingrained in our pop culture and is beloved among its fans the world over. Five decades after its debut, it hasn’t lost any of its luster and remains a timeless classic with the ability to dazzle audiences young and old. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox in this 50th Anniversary Edition that features a host of fan friendly bonus supplements that are worth exploring. It’s unfortunate that it was released with some minor issues relative to its video presentation luckily they aren’t pervasive. I have heard that a reissue is in the works but have no definitive word on when or even if it will come to fruition. For the time being I can live with this release which easily bests any other version of West Side Story currently available.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Oh, my sweet Natalie...I will buy this one without a second thought.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

..... Noisy backgrounds were evident during a few (light to dark) scene transitions as well but I would say this was overtly problematic. .......

RE: the bolded part; is this a typo? Did you mean to say it wasn't overtly problematic, or is it correct as is and those scenes are overtly problematic?

Thanks.

It's a shame this movie wasn't given the treatment it deserves. I think for now I'll just rent it to see what I think and perhaps wait to see if there is a reissue before purchasing.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

RE: the bolded part; is this a typo? Did you mean to say it wasn't overtly problematic, or is it correct as is and those scenes are overtly problematic?

Thanks.

It's a shame this movie wasn't given the treatment it deserves. I think for now I'll just rent it to see what I think and perhaps wait to see if there is a reissue before purchasing.

Greetings,

Thank you for catching that Saturn94. It should read isn't overly problematic. Corrected.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanx for the review. I've added this to my must buy classics..
post #6 of 20 Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow that's a sad video score, I expected better being this was a 70mm film but clearly they didn't put in the same care that was put into Ben-Hur, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Sound of Music and Baraka.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'd always wondered what had happened to "Tony" (Richard Beymer). Then I saw the series TWIN PEAKS (not when it was broadcast; we bought and watched the Complete Gold DVD set a few years ago so we could see it), and saw that "Riff" (Russ Tamblyn) was also a TWIN PEAKS character.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I attended the TCM one night only event screening of West Side Story at a decent AMC multiplex in Burbank, California, last Wednesday night. It was obviously a disc presentation of some kind, not film, and I wondered what was behind the picture drops during the opening/overture title sequence. The screen actually went black a couple of times during the overture, including the transition from the Saul Bass title graphic to the photography of Manhattan.

Ralph, is that what you were referring to when you said, "Someone seriously dropped the ball as the film's opening fade in/transition title sequence fails to fade out/dissolve"?

If so, it is unbelievable that someone would allow to pass into wide blu-ray distribution what we saw last Wednesday night. In fact, since this TCM screening was taking place in dozens of theaters around the country, I couldn't believe what we saw at the theater was a flaw in the master disc or whatever it was they used and assumed it was a projection glitch exclusive to that particular AMC location screening.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Mr. Potts thank you, Sir. I pre-ordered mine last Friday and I should get it a week from today. I look forward to watch it. Last but not least I am a huge Rita Moreno fan!
"I like to live in America, Puerto Rico in America!" My favorite song is Something's Coming followed by Tonight and MarÃ*a.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #10 of 20 Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

I attended the TCM one night only event screening of West Side Story at a decent AMC multiplex in Burbank, California, last Wednesday night. It was obviously a disc presentation of some kind, not film, and I wondered what was behind the picture drops during the opening/overture title sequence. The screen actually went black a couple of times during the overture, including the transition from the Saul Bass title graphic to the photography of Manhattan.

Ralph, is that what you were referring to when you said, "Someone seriously dropped the ball as the film's opening fade in/transition title sequence fails to fade out/dissolve"?

If so, it is unbelievable that someone would allow to pass into wide blu-ray distribution what we saw last Wednesday night. In fact, since this TCM screening was taking place in dozens of theaters around the country, I couldn't believe what we saw at the theater was a flaw in the master disc or whatever it was they used and assumed it was a projection glitch exclusive to that particular AMC location screening.

Greetings,

Yes. That is what I was referring to hitchfan.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 20 Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Yes. That is what I was referring to hitchfan.

Regards,

Oh, that's disappointing. I pre-ordered the blu-ray through Amazon. It'll go right back to Amazon if it exhibits what you saw on your copy and what we saw in the theater. And I can't imagine why it wouldn't this early in the distribution. Shame. But it's really the only way to get an across-the-board replacement disc in the works asap I guess.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 02:16 PM

This is an MGM release.
the blame belongs with them, not 20th Century Fox.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 PM

I must add my two cents because I eagerly awaited this release. West Side Story is one of my favorite all-time movies and I really thought (naively) that the release would have been as good as The Sound of Music Blu-ray release. Sadly, it's not close. Let me first say that the transfer is decent and it's much better then the dvd release. And if you like the movie, you won't be disappointed. But if you are looking for a 'reference disc' to show off your system this won't do it. The film isn't as clean as The Sound of Music and the audio sounds good but still not as clean as the audio from The Sound of Music sounds. It seems like this might have been a rush job because the film could have been cleaned up better, the fade to black in the beginning is just a ridiculous amateur mistake and I even read rumours that the studio had the original 6 channel audio but decided to only clean up the audio from the DVD. I can't see them re-releasing this again anytime soon so I guess this will be as good as it gets for the time being. It's sad that corporate greed got in the way of having one of Hollywood's all-time greatest movies not released in the best possible format it could have been.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I know there's a serious flaw in the early part of the film, where a transition is completely wrong. But for those who don't care, Frys.com is offering the BD/DVD combo (without the auxiliary audio CD) for $12.99. No word yet if they will have an exchange program when/if they fix these, but for $13 bucks it was irresistible!

...also known as Stuart Sweet at DBSTalk.com
post #15 of 20 Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
There is also incorrect color value for Natalie Wood's part of the Quintet. Her segment should be flooded with red and it's orange. "A boy like that" has serious lip synch issues for Maria and the BD is far too grainy, which I could , of course, adjust with my sharpness setting. Overall, not happy but I'm glad i didn't buy the $50 boxed set due to the aforementioned.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I spoke to and emailed Fox/MGM at the number on the back of the package and emailed them. They do acknowledge the issue but still aren't sure of what they will do do rectify this. My guess: They will do nothing!

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

I'd always wondered what had happened to "Tony" (Richard Beymer). Then I saw the series TWIN PEAKS (not when it was broadcast; we bought and watched the Complete Gold DVD set a few years ago so we could see it), and saw that "Riff" (Russ Tamblyn) was also a TWIN PEAKS character.

Yes, they were both in it. I loved that series.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Many thanx for the review. Down here in New Zealand they only release a single disk BD version of Disk 1 but it does have the correct opening transition. I did some online reading and it appears that they used only a 4 channel soundtrack for this release rather than the 6 channel that was discovered before the 50th anniversary disk was released. Guess they didn't consider it was worth it for the extra money they would have spend. The picture quality was great though..
I never saw this as a road show in 1960(too young) but saw a re-release of it in 1967 as a road show release but can't remember seeing the end credits.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I decided to rent WSS and My Fair Lady before purchasing due to some of the complaints.

While I didn't set to see the whole thing (it was past my bedtime), WSS looked very good to me and I will purchase it. If an exchange program becomes available, I'll take advantage of it. If not, I'll still be able to watch WSS looking better than I've ever seen it before.

BTW, the fade out/in in the intro looks ridiculous. Hopefully they will fix this.

MFL is another story (hint: it's really bad), but you can read about that in the MFL thread in the BD software section (or better yet, there's a very active discussion about it on Robert Harris' thread on HTF).

post #20 of 20 Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

If an exchange program becomes available, I'll take advantage of it. If not, I'll still be able to watch WSS looking better than I've ever seen it before.

According to blu-ray.com an exchange is now available and a new version with a new upc is available for sale.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7996

Richard
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Goldfinger 50th Anniversary Repackage Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Goldfinger by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page