Spy Kids: All the Time In The World 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
attachment.php?attachmentid=228566&d=1321926691
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Dimension Films - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Action, Family

Disc Format: 4 Disc Set: 2x BD-50, DVD and Digital Copy Disc
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jessica Alba, Joel McHale, Rowan Blanchard, Mason Cook, Jeremy Piven, Alexa Vega, Daryl Sabara, Danny Trejo, Belle Solorzano , Genny Solorzano
Directed by: Robert Rodriguez
Music by: Robert Rodriguez, Carl Thiel
Written by: Robert Rodriguez
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 22, 2011

"Saving the world is their idea of family time."

Film Synopsis:

A retired spy is called back into action, and to bond with her new step-children, she invites them along for the adventure to stop the evil Timekeeper from taking over the world.

My Take:

Have no fear, we only get 2D and 3D, not the 4D "Aroma-scope" that was in theaters this past summer. To my dismay, I found out the "Aroma-scope" was just a scratch and sniff card, which is best as this flick has a few flatulence jokes. Regardless of whatever gimmick was used to sell the fourth installment of Robert Rodriguez's Spy Kids franchise, Spy Kids: All the Time In The World was just as bad, and just as good as the previous entries. Bad because of how cheese and mindless they are, and good for that exact same reason.

Spy Kids: All the Time In The World picks up eight years after the last film. We meet Marissa Wilson (Jessica Alba), a nine month pregnant spy on her last mission: to take down notorious villain "Tick-Tock" (Jeremy Piven). Going into labor as she completes the mission, she tells the head of her division, Danger D'Amo (again, Jeremy Piven) she is retiring. She wants to spend time with her family, Wilbur Wilson a famous spy-hunting television reporter (Joel McHale), her new baby, and step kids, Rebecca (Rowan Blanchard) and Cecil (Mason Cook). The family has no clue about her past career as a spy, but things are about to change a year later as she is forced back into duty when Tick-Tock teams up with "Timekeeper", and they start to control time itself. Of course her step children are plunged into the action when they find the room of the extinct spy kids division. The kids get help from the original spy kids, Carmen (Alexa Vega), Juni (Daryl Sabara), who are now adult spies, and as a family, they must learn to band together to save the world before it runs out of time.

Cockamamie. It's the perfect word here (and a rare chance to use it). I can see how many people can hate this films...and they do. Just look it up and read the many opinions out there. Cockamamie is what they are and cockamamie is just what Rodriguez was going for. He made these films for his kids, and he just wanted to have a silly fun time. He sure succeeded, and for me they sure were fun and visually entertaining with some pretty darn great technical prowess. I need to point out that Jeremy Piven was awesome here tackling multiple roles quite well. For anyone who pans this movie, critiques its deeply and is offended by just how ridiculous it all is, I say you need to chill out and have some fun!

Parental Guide:

Rated PG for violence and mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 96

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 82

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Spy Kids: All the Time In The World comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment & Starz featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21.8 mbps and Dolby TrueHD sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps

This one sounded awesome. The whole 360 degree sound-stage was utilized so well, there was never a moment where things were not whizzing sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of. Bombastic, yet articulate is a perfect description as LFE was earth shattering, and at times quite musical as well. Dialogue never was lost in the mess of the action, coming across quite articulate.

The 3D disc was a nice inclusion in this jam packed set that also includes the 2D version, a DVD as well as a digital copy. When the 3D image succeeds it is a clean and clear image that has plenty of detail and a nice amount of perceivable depth. Where is fails is in its reaching out off screen in your face and how it makes some objects that are not in 3D look a bit flat. It is generally a pleasing 3D experience with stable colors and deep blacks as well as outstanding details. Fans of 3D will enjoys this one.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Spy Kids: All the Time In The World comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video

Like the 3D transfer, Spy Kids: All the Time In The World " is an outstanding HD transfer. Detail and clarity was magnificent, the depth was impressive and the black levels were perfect. Colors are vivid, with no shade left untouched; it was eye candy in the comic-book kids way. The only issue was things were definitely on the warm side and it did have a slight effect on the over-all look of the image--a minor gripe on an otherwise phenomenal transfer.

Bonus Features:

• Deleted Scenes

• Robert Rodriguez Interview

• Rowan and Mason's Video Diary

• How to make a Robotic Dog

• Ricky Gervais As Argonaut

• DVD Copy

• Digital Copy

• (HD) Trailers: Hoodwinked 2, Spy Kids Blu-ray Trilogy

Final Thoughts:

Spy Kids: All the Time In The World was a fun, juvenile film aimed at kids 10 and under. I found it to be eye and ear candy with some cool action pieces, some decent humor and a whimsical nonchalant attitude that showed how it didn't, and we shouldn't take it too seriously. This release from Anchor Bay is a 4 disc set that includes the 2D version, 3D version, a DVD, a digital copy and Jessica Alba. Extra features are a bit bland and all are in SD, which was a bummer and might not give your little one as much mileage as you might hope. I watched this one with my son and know that we will be putting it in again soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X3 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MK Sound S-150MKII LCR
MK Sound S-150T Tripole Surrounds
MK Sound MX-350MKII Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Greetings,

"Cockamamie"

I enjoyed the first film. I don't recall if I saw any of the others if that means anything.

Thanks for the review.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did someone say Jessica Alba? lol
post #4 of 5 Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Guess what I'm watching tonight??..the beauty of "Home" Theater! .
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A very good looking and colorful movie with audio that's a plus too..that said, it is a movie that tries to deliver important messages to kids but how it was done and the acting by all wore thin real fast!. Proud to say I'm seen'em all though.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Spy Kids 4 All The Time In The World Three Disc 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page