Cowboys and Aliens (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
This was ok. There was probably a better movie that could have been made considering the talent and budget. But a two hour popcorn flic with solid av is not the worst thing- if you can leave ALL of your brain at the door.

Tried not to really think about anything in the movie but I found it kind of funny that Daniel Craig was better at using the alien weapon than the aliens.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

...Tried not to really think about anything in the movie but I found it kind of funny that Daniel Craig was better at using the alien weapon than the aliens.

MI5 training.
post #33 of 48 Old 01-06-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I just watched and enjoyed this flick. Obviously it doesn't stand up to much critical thinking, but it's not supposed to. I call this one a keeper. Great audio.
post #34 of 48 Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^

I agree--no mental giant but entertaining--I enjoyed it and was glad I pre-ordered it.

Bob

post #35 of 48 Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I got my copy from Netflix when it was first available, the coming attractions played but when it was time for the actual movie it remained stuck on "Main Menu" on my Oppo BDP-83.

I complained to Netflix and received another copy two days later - same problem!

Obviously my Oppo doesn't agree with the rental copy or vice-versa, but the Oppo has never had any problem with any of the hundreds (both rentals and store-bought copies) of Blurays that I've played on it.

I wonder what gives

Cheers,
SB
post #36 of 48 Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotcheckBilly View Post

I got my copy from Netflix when it was first available, the coming attractions played but when it was time for the actual movie it remained stuck on "Main Menu" on my Oppo BDP-83.

I complained to Netflix and received another copy two days later - same problem!

Obviously my Oppo doesn't agree with the rental copy or vice-versa, but the Oppo has never had any problem with any of the hundreds (both rentals and store-bought copies) of Blurays that I've played on it.

I wonder what gives

Cheers,
SB

All you need to do is erase persistent storage, turn off BD-Live and start over.
post #37 of 48 Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

This was ok. There was probably a better movie that could have been made considering the talent and budget. But a two hour popcorn flic with solid av is not the worst thing- if you can leave ALL of your brain at the door.

Tried not to really think about anything in the movie but I found it kind of funny that Daniel Craig was better at using the alien weapon than the aliens.

Not only that, but why didn't the aliens ever use their weapons on the humans?

They just kept on running up to them to kill them.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #38 of 48 Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All you need to do is erase persistent storage, turn off BD-Live and start over.

Thank you, I'll do as you suggested

Cheers,
SB
post #39 of 48 Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. This is definitely a keeper for me.

Frank

post #40 of 48 Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I'm glad I bought this one as well. Watched both the extended version and theater version--I can't really say anything all that meaningful was added in the extended version--enjoyed the flow of the theater version a little more. The length of the theater version seems about right to me.

Bob

post #41 of 48 Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Believe it or not, this movie has really grown on me, and has become one of my most re-watched Blu rays biggrin.gif. I'm a western and sci-fi fan. I would say 90% of the movie is a western, and the aliens are an interesting twist thrown in. No idea where the filmed it, but its a desert-ish local with blue skies, that looks great on my 55" LED. I dunno, there's the characters and the battle scenes. In the first scene, the cowboys think Craig is an escaped convict and worth some money. "Turn around and start walkin'". He beats the crap out of that crew biggrin.gif. Then there's the son of Colonel Dolarhyde, a real jerk, taking advantage of his father's reputation to terrorize the town! "Lets take up a collection, for the poor man!" biggrin.gif. Makes everybody put their money in his hat...Colonel DolarHyde (Harrison Ford) finds out his son is in jail, so he gets all his men together to threaten the Sherrif into letting him go! Thats when the Aliens fighter crafts come, and the big battle there. As the group of cowboys is tracking the aliens down, they get get ambushed by some robbers biggrin.gif! "This is what they call a robbery...". The cowboys are being chased by the robbers, and thats broken up again by the alien fighter crafts! Then theres the BIG BATTLE at the end, Cowboys and Indians VS. Aliens biggrin.gif! Theres the preacher man, the Indian, the drunk man at lake pulling his pants down to take a dump while talking about Colonel Dolarhyde behind his back biggrin.gif...

Everybody has that disc they'll throw in while they're getting the bills together at the dining room table, or getting themselves together before they go out. For me, its this movie! Its just fun!
post #42 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

Believe it or not, this movie has really grown on me, and has become one of my most re-watched Blu rays biggrin.gif. I'm a western and sci-fi fan. I would say 90% of the movie is a western, and the aliens are an interesting twist thrown in. No idea where the filmed it, but its a desert-ish local with blue skies, that looks great on my 55" LED. I dunno, there's the characters and the battle scenes. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In the first scene, the cowboys think Craig is an escaped convict and worth some money. "Turn around and start walkin'". He beats the crap out of that crew biggrin.gif. Then there's the son of Colonel Dolarhyde, a real jerk, taking advantage of his father's reputation to terrorize the town! "Lets take up a collection, for the poor man!" biggrin.gif. Makes everybody put their money in his hat...Colonel DolarHyde (Harrison Ford) finds out his son is in jail, so he gets all his men together to threaten the Sherrif into letting him go! Thats when the Aliens fighter crafts come, and the big battle there. As the group of cowboys is tracking the aliens down, they get get ambushed by some robbers biggrin.gif! "This is what they call a robbery...". The cowboys are being chased by the robbers, and thats broken up again by the alien fighter crafts! Then theres the BIG BATTLE at the end, Cowboys and Indians VS. Aliens biggrin.gif! Theres the preacher man, the Indian, the drunk man at lake pulling his pants down to take a dump while talking about Colonel Dolarhyde behind his back biggrin.gif...
Everybody has that disc they'll throw in while they're getting the bills together at the dining room table, or getting themselves together before they go out. For me, its this movie! Its just fun!
Let me help you out.
post #43 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 181
l love this film I've found it very enjoyable.

Frank

post #44 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Greetings,

I watched a little of it this morning. Yeah, it's fun..cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #45 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Dude, its been reviewed here, its been through an entire theater run and has run its course in the home market. If you cant talk about your enjoyment of the movie by NOW...tell you what, I was gonna discuss some 1930s silent movies too, I'll remember to put the spoiler alert biggrin.gif. Sometimes folks get ridiculous with the spoiler alert...
post #46 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trailers these days reveal sufficient detail so as to obsolete spoiler alerts.

On second thought, a person could take exception in cases where they haven't seen the trailer.
post #47 of 48 Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Cowboys & Aliens had huge potential in my opinion, but it was a bit of a let down for me. Still, it wasn't totally horrible and I'm glad to have seen it a couple of times.

Thanks for reviewing it for us, Ralph! smile.gif

oz
post #48 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The two cattleman try to tell the third one, a drunk, that Colonel DolaHyde doesn't allow drinking on the job.

Drunk: "I dont care what the high and mighty colonel Dolarhyde dont like! I dont care how many indians he put down, neither! Colonel Dolarhyde...(walks to the river, pulls his pants down to take a dump "money makes you soft!".

Later on, Dolarhyde catches up to the drunk and ties him to a horse. Drunk:"PLEASE! COLONEL DOLARHYDE!!"

One my favorite parts of the movie biggrin.gif!!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Cowboys Aliens Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy In Blu Ray Packaging

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page