The Help (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 02-04-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watched this last night with my wife. We have 4 young children, so can relate to what it takes to raise them. I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony in every scene where they showed (almost beat you over the head with it) the mom "dumping" the child off to the nanny/maid when things got a bit crazy, or a diaper needed changed, or they were crying. "What's it feel like to raise a child, when you're own child's at home looked after by somebody else". Is't that pretty much the standard/norm in real life for Hollywood today? What's changed?

I also agree and thought that Jessica Chastain really stood out WAY above the others in this movie. Why no awards considerations for her performance? I had no idea what to expect from her character. Thought she really owned every scene. The others seemed to just fall in the typical cookie cutter portrayal of all privileged=evil, non-privileged=sympathetic. As noted above, borderline stereotypical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"The Help" is absolutely, unequivocally one of the best films I've ever seen in my 57 years. One of my top ten favorite films for sure.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #33 of 36 Old 02-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

I also agree and thought that Jessica Chastain really stood out WAY above the others in this movie. Why no awards considerations for her performance? I had no idea what to expect from her character. Thought she really owned every scene. The others seemed to just fall in the typical cookie cutter portrayal of all privileged=evil, non-privileged=sympathetic. As noted above, borderline stereotypical.

Definitely agree with you there.
post #34 of 36 Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just finished watching this movie for the first time and found it to be very worthy of my time and money! I thought Davis, Chastain, Spencer, and Stone all did fantastic jobs with their respective roles.

Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
post #35 of 36 Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Just finished watching this movie for the first time and found it to be very worthy of my time and money! I thought Davis, Chastain, Spencer, and Stone all did fantastic jobs with their respective roles.
Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it ozar and of course I agree..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #36 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just watched The Help this weekend after my wife read the book and wanted to watch it. She thought it was as true to the book as possible, but had the obvious attractiveness upgrades on several characters and a major plot point simplified near the end, but she really liked what they did with it. She even thought it was better than the book. I enjoyed the movie and it really reminded me of the part of Arkansas were I grew up. My great grandmother had "help" that only went to the dining room and kitchen. Never saw her anywhere else in the house. Our schools were still segregated in the 80's. All the white kids, plus the highest testing black kids in one class and all the other black kids in another. It was like that all through elementary school. We had separate "who's who" and that type of thing as well.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Help Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page