Starring: Brit Marhling, William Mapother
Directed by: Mike Cahil
Music by: Fall on your sword
Written by: Brit Marling & Mike Cahill
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 29, 2011

"Genesis"

Film Synopsis:

Newcomer Brit Marling and fan favorite William Mapother (TV's Lost) star as Rhoda and John, two people whose worlds collide after a tragic accident. Their intimate drama plays out against the astounding discovery of Earth 2, a parallel world that poses provocative and fascinating possibilities. Does a new Earth mean a chance at another life? Another destiny? Another self?

My Take:

Another earth's plot revolves around Rhoda, a bright, college bound prodigy who's all but certain future becomes uncertain after a tragedy rocks her world on the same night that the existence of a parallel earth is discovered. Simultaneously, John, a successful composer and family man suffers a devastating loss that forever changes his life. Four years later Rhoda and John are still struggling to pick up the pieces. They share a disturbing common bond and come together as the world makes a startling discovery on Earth 2 and prepares a mission. John and Rhoda find solace within one another however their unity is threatened by the past. They soon learn that perhaps there is hope and that hope rests in what lies on Earth 2.

The trailer for Another earth looked intriguing and left me eager to see what looked like a sci-fi/drama/independent film with an interesting concept. Unfortunately the screenplay merely uses its sci-fi elements as a backdrop for its predominating dramatic storyline. This isn't a problem per se but the promise of what Earth 2 holds is sort of attached to the proceedings and ultimately never materializes save for the film's open ended final moment which is clearly left up to interpretation. There is also an odd subplot involving Rhoda's blind co-worker which is poorly integrated and unsatisfactorily explained. On a positive note, looking at Another Earth from a dramatic perspective I found it to be quite good. The narrative about a relationship born out of tragedy with a foundation built upon pain, redemption, and deceit is compelling. The problem is that inevitably the story comes full circle and winds up with us looking to Earth 2 for answers. Unfortunately those answers don't come and we are left to decipher the meaning of the ending. I found myself torn with how to rate Another Earth. I liked it but was disappointed in that I think it had much more to offer with a better developed script. In the end I opted to rate it based on the preponderance of its assets rather than what should have been. Looking at it in that light Another Earth has something viable to offer.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for disturbing image, some sexuality, nudity, and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 76

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Another Earth comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

Based upon this film's budget oriented roots this audio/video presentation delivers fair overall quality. The 1.85:1 framed video isn't as definitively resolved as the better high definition presentations I have seen on Blu-ray but it proves satisfactory. Images exhibit appreciable levels of detail that are scene dependent. Where appropriate colors exhibit ample saturation and clean rendering. The stylized monochromatic filtering which imparts a steely blue haze over the image during certain segments in the film is poorly implemented and ultimately distracting. Black levels are above average and shadow delineation reveals discernible structure in backgrounds during low light sequences and dark areas within the picture. Contrast is dynamically applied which occasionally overdrives whites but this appears intentional. Some minor problems such as digital noise and aliasing are detectable but not to an egregious level. The lossless audio presentation is similar in that it isn't exemplary but sounds fine. Dialogue is rendered clearly, with forward soundstage placement, and a slightly sibilant character. Dynamic range is good although rarely tested by the film's elements. Rear channel activity is limited to a few discrete effects and ambient surround sound that bridge the front and rear sound stages. This film relies more on dialogue and front sound field presence than it does on filling the room with sound effects and ultra deep bass. The end result is a decent audio presentation that capably renders this soundtrack.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The first time I saw Jupiter music video by Fall on your sword

• (HD) 7 deleted scenes

• Fox Movie Channel Presents: Direct effect Mike Cahill - 4 minutes

• Fox Movie Channel Presents: In character Brit Marling - 4 minutes

• Fox Movie Channel Presents: In character William Mapother

• (HD) The science behind Another Earth - 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Creating Another Earth - 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Another Earth is an enjoyable drama that fails to capitalize on an interesting multi-genre concept. A better script might have born sweeter fruit but taking it strictly on its face I found this to be a decent independent film. Its budget confined production shows its seams in this Blu-ray release from 20th Century Fox but overall audio/video quality is fair. The bonus material consists of surface level insights from the filmmakers, a music video and a handful of deleted scenes. Another Earth is worth a rent when you're in the mood for something different.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I want to see this in the theater but never found time, and it's limited release made it even more difficult. Glad it made it to blu ray, even though the story line sounds a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the review

Djoel
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Me too. Didn't get a chance and the limited release just made it a bit more difficult.

What intrigued me was the concept of two earths(what i gathered from the trailer)? Plus am a fan of indy films. Need to check this one out.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Seems like the same plot as Melancholia.

Thanks for the review.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This title seems to be the first Blu Ray only release as I do not see an option to get the DVD separately.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

Seems like the same plot as Melancholia.

Thanks for the review.

Just saw Melancholia over the weekend and that blew me away. The soundtrack, cinematography, cast and overall was just amazing.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Nice review, Ralph...just finished vudu-ing this one...I thought the story was compelling and the acting quite strong. I was hoping for a bit more of the sci-fi element, but the movie was fairly well represented in terms of the promotional items (trailer, description). I enjoy this type of ending, as well....makes for interesting discussion.

These Indy flicks that establish an audience at the festivals, preferably the ones with no-name actors, are often my favorite films. Sometimes larger budget films with name actors tend to cater to audience expectations, whereas these smaller ones more often than not allow the writer/director to maintain their artistic license. As a result, I think the films become less predictable and more interesting. This one fits into that category for me, and I would recommend it to others for sure.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ralph,

Thanks for the review. Often, these quieter movies get overlooked.

I picked it up recently on impulse. I think that I had seen the trailer on another movie in the last few months. Intrigued me.

I was quite impressed with the acting by the main character, and found the overall script and direction effective. The camera-work, especially the depiction of "Earth II" looming larger and larger in the sky as the story progressed seemed very good. Evocative even.

I watched it with my 13 yr old this past Sunday. Mom popped in about 40 min into the film, and in her usual way demanded to know what something that she had just seen meant; daughter told her "Mom, you have to see it from the beginning, I am not going to try to tell you why each thing happened!" Funny. A couple of days later my kid talked about what had struck her as interesting. It certainly engaged her.

As you say, lots of good material in this film for coffee conversations. I do recommend it.

Mike K

post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

Ralph,

Thanks for the review. Often, these quieter movies get overlooked.

I picked it up recently on impulse. I think that I had seen the trailer on another movie in the last few months. Intrigued me.

I was quite impressed with the acting by the main character, and found the overall script and direction effective. The camera-work, especially the depiction of "Earth II" looming larger and larger in the sky as the story progressed seemed very good. Evocative even.

I watched it with my 13 yr old this past Sunday. Mom popped in about 40 min into the film, and in her usual way demanded to know what something that she had just seen meant; daughter told her "Mom, you have to see it from the beginning, I am not going to try to tell you why each thing happened!" Funny. A couple of days later my kid talked about what had struck her as interesting. It certainly engaged her.

As you say, lots of good material in this film for coffee conversations. I do recommend it.

Mike K

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing Mike and obviously I agree. I can appreciate the story about your wife's late arrival/query and the resposne by your daughter..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Another Earth Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Another by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page