The Hangover part II (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > The Hangover part II (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 08:41 AM 12-02-2011
attachment.php?attachmentid=229476&d=1322840018
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha, Jeffrey Tambor, Jamie Chung, Ken Jeoung, Paul Giamatti, Mason Lee
Directed by: Todd Phillips
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Craig Mazin, Scot Armstrong, Todd Phillps
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 6, 2011

"The Wolfpack is back"

Film Synopsis:

Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), Alan (Zach Galifi anakis) and Doug (Justin Bartha) travel to exotic Thailand for Stu's wedding. What could go wrong? Director Todd Phillips' explosively funny follow-up to his award-winning smash hit demonstrates that though what happens in Vegas may stay in Vegas, what happens in Bangkok can hardly be imagined!

My Take:

In The hangover part II Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug travel to exotic Thailand for StuÂ's wedding. With the memory of DougÂ's nearly disastrous bachelor party in Las Vegas still fresh, Stu is taking no chances. He has opted for a safe, subdued, and alcohol free pre-wedding trip brunch at iHop. Of course things donÂ't go as planned. Two nights before the big day, at a gorgeous Thailand resort, Stu relents. One beer each, in sealed bottles, what could go wrong? Yeah right, the boys awaken the next morning in a sleazy Bangkok hotel with no memory of how they got there. Extremely hung over, they are startled to find that StuÂ's future brother-in-law is missing. A severed finger, a tattoo, a strip club, a drug lord and a monkey are the keys to the mystery. The question is HOW did this happen AGAIN?!

I really like The hangover but was skeptical when I learned that a sequel was being released. I donÂ't know of one person who saw it that liked it so I passed on catching it in the theater. The hangover part II simply takes the premise from the first film, copy/pastes it, and ups the raunch factor. The script lacks freshness and the situational gags, while occasionally funny, are contrived. I still found the interaction among the principle characters to be entertaining although AlanÂ's obtuse musings are overplayed. As for the remaining cache of characters, Ken JeoungÂ's ÂChow is downright annoying, Mason LeeÂ's ÂTeddy is wooden, Jamie ChungÂ's ÂLauren is way to hot for Stu and the cameoÂ's by Paul Giamatti/Mike Tyson are pointless/embarrassing. Many have claimed that if you liked the original than youÂ'll like this film because they are essentially the same. I disagree. This banal effort lacks the formerÂ's funny bone tickling dialogue, fresh, situational hilarity and mystery machine style comedy. I didnÂ't much care for the disturbingly graphic scene involving StuÂ's newest conquest ÂKimmy either. In the end the occasional laughs were overshadowed by an overt feeling of déjÃ* vu that left me indifferent and a little bored. The hangover part II is a subpar sequel that fails to replicate the entertaining, bro flick fun of the original.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for pervasive language, strong sexual content including graphic nudity, drug use and brief violent content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The hangover part II comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and two dimensional depth. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation tonal warmth and vibrant textures. This is especially apparent during the sequences shot in the various Las Vegas venues featured in the film. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements.

The lossless soundtrack doesnÂ't consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This soundtrack isnÂ't demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didnÂ't leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Unauthorized documentary Â- 25 minute ÂmockumentaryÂ

• (HD) Behind the story:

1. The comedy rhythm of Todd Phillips Â- 7 minutes
    2. Not your everyday monkey Â- 2 minutes
    3. Bangkok tour with ÂChow Â- 3 minutes

• (HD) Gag reel Â- 5 minutes

• (HD) Action mash-up Â- 46 seconds

• BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD of Hangover part II

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=229477&d=1322840018

Final Thoughts:

As a fan of the original film I was sorely disappointed in The hangover part II. The returning cast members do their best but its rehashed script and lackluster direction result in a subpar comedy that fails to replicate the entertaining, bro flick fun of the original. On a positive note it comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home video with a great looking high definition video transfer and excellent lossless sound quality. The bonus features do little to enhance the experience but are worth a look if you enjoyed the film. I didnÂ't care for Hangover part II but if you liked the first film you may want to give this a rent and see for yourself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100Â 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

JamE55's Avatar JamE55 08:55 AM 12-02-2011
Agree about the complete rehashed but you gotta admit Ralph some of the scenes in this movie is just a complete barrel of laughs especially the she-man scene. lmao!!

Started crying after everything was revealed and needless to say it was just hilarious. Definitely need to get this one to complete my collection.

Cheers
GOLFVUE3's Avatar GOLFVUE3 09:06 AM 12-02-2011
I rarely differ from Ralph's opinion - but this is one case where I do. I would grade them as:

Hangover I = A

Hangover II = B
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar muffinmcfluffin 10:20 AM 12-02-2011
I forgot about this movie so much that I felt like it came out on Blu-ray a year ago lol. I sat here for about forty seconds trying to find out if this was an uncut special edition or something.
neveser's Avatar neveser 11:01 AM 12-02-2011
Saw this last week. It's a rental at best.

The she-man thing was funny, but for the most part, I was bored during this flick.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 11:44 AM 12-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3 View Post

I rarely differ from Ralph's opinion - but this is one case where I do. I would grade them as:

Hangover I = A

Hangover II = B

Greetings,

Objective opinions is what makes the world go 'round. We'll catch up on the next one Golfvue3.

Regards,
wowyahoo's Avatar wowyahoo 01:49 PM 12-02-2011
It must be awesome to watch movies for a living I envy you!
audiopho's Avatar audiopho 02:35 PM 12-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowyahoo View Post

Yeah but I bet it's not an easy job though it might seem.
I lmao'ed in the first one, actually I saw it twice.
This sequel is perhaps worth a rental.
Hksvr4's Avatar Hksvr4 08:01 PM 12-02-2011
Saw it on a flight to Vegas. Good thing it was free.
DJ Matt's Avatar DJ Matt 01:28 AM 12-03-2011
I had high hopes for this one. I have yet to see it, but many of my buddies went to see it in theaters. Their opinions were split. A lot of them liked it and said it was hilarious and others said that it was basically the first movie, but instead of Vegas it was Thailand. Hopefully I will be one of those people that really like it. We shall see.
GOLFVUE3's Avatar GOLFVUE3 08:32 AM 12-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Objective opinions is what makes the world go 'round. We'll catch up on the next one Golfvue3.

Regards,

yeah - after further review - I am man enough to admit a latent bro-mance with Bradley Cooper is clouding my judgment on this one. I just think he is cast perfectly for these roles. But remembering back to when I saw it this summer, and putting the man-crush aside, I can certainly understand why opinions are wide-spread on this one.
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 06:07 PM 12-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowyahoo View Post

Fairly certain that this is a "In my spare time" gig for Ralph. I'm almost positive the only thing he gets out of it are the free discs...
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 06:08 PM 12-05-2011
Jamie Chung's in it? Hrm... I may have to suffer through it.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 06:20 PM 12-05-2011
she doesnt play a major or even minor role at all...meaning probably only less than 10 min on screen
chirpie's Avatar chirpie 09:09 AM 12-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

she doesnt play a major or even minor role at all...meaning probably only less than 10 min on screen

Well darn. Google image search will suffice then.
johnnyd523's Avatar johnnyd523 08:34 AM 12-08-2011
Saw this in the thater with friends. Thankfully it was an AMC Dine-In theater which served drinks. I think this one fell a bit short of the original but its wroth a rental. My suggestion is to have a few in ya before you watch it.
GoCaboNow's Avatar GoCaboNow 05:24 PM 01-23-2012
I have to admit most reviews panned this so my wife an I went in with pretty low expectations - and laughed all the way through. Couldn't tell you how many times we looked at each other just cracking up. It was alot like the first but still funny in it's own way. Definately not a family movie but that is ok sometimes.
Franin's Avatar Franin 04:59 AM 01-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I have to admit most reviews panned this so my wife an I went in with pretty low expectations - and laughed all the way through. Couldn't tell you how many times we looked at each other just cracking up. It was alot like the first but still funny in it's own way. Definately not a family movie but that is ok sometimes.

I abosolutley loved it. Just as good as the first.
kraig4422's Avatar kraig4422 11:48 AM 02-03-2012
I thought the first was pretty funny if predictable but this one was pure garbage
Taranteacher's Avatar Taranteacher 01:53 PM 11-28-2012
Have never seen this, based on friends' low opinions. What kept and still keeps me from seeing this, even rented, is the fact that, while the first I had a blast with my wife and my 17-year-old son, I know I'd be a little uncomfortable with the raunchiness pushed up a notch or two. May have to see this with buddies and cold ones some day, though... smile.gif
FieldingMelish's Avatar FieldingMelish 01:22 PM 07-09-2013
I recently saw this movie on HBO. You're not kidding about discomfort in front of the family. I don't get the sudden increase in on-screen salami concealed within comedies these days. What is being pushed includes chicks with dicks,as seen in this title; an extended scene of a black dick hanging out in Owen Wilson's face in the movie Hall Pass; and a recent comedic scene that includes three guys pulling each other's chains in the appropriately named The Watch.
Tags: The Hangover Part Ii Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies
Up
Mobile  Desktop