Feature running time: 106 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Toni Collette, David Tennant, Imogen Poots
Directed by: Craig Gillespie
Music by: Ramin Djawadi
Written by: Marti Noxon
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 13, 2011

"You can’t run from evil when it lives next door"

Film Synopsis:

Meet the sexy new neighbor, Jerry Dandrige (Colin Farrell). He's dangerously charming -- and utterly lethal. That's because he just happens to be a vampire, and out for blood...buckets of it. After high school senior Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) makes the connection between Jerry's suspicious activity and a steadily rising body count, he vows to end the reign of terror next door. But he can't do it alone. His only hope is Las Vegas magician/vampire-slayer Peter Vincent (David Tennant). Together, this unlikely duo set out to end Jerry's evil rampage. But Jerry is a ruthless, relentless killer, and he's not going down without a fight.

My Take:

Charley (Anton Yelchin) is a high school senior who’s on top of the world—he’s running with the popular crowd and dating Amy (Imogen Poots), the most coveted girl in school. But trouble arrives when Jerry (Colin Farrell) moves in next door. He seems like a nice guy––at first. But there’s something not quite right, and no one else, including Charley’s mom (Toni Collette) seems to notice. After his classmates start to mysteriously disappear without a trace, Charlie discovers that there is more to his new neighbor than meets the eye. Now he must do all he can to protect his mom and girlfriend Amy from the mysterious and dark horror living across his driveway.

It has been years since I have seen the original Fright Night but I remember it being lots of fun and worthy of the cult classic status it has achieved. This remake doesn’t make the same impression but the effects are decent and Marti Noxon’s script is workable. The characters here aren’t drawn as well, save for Charley and Jerry, but the contemporized story moves along adding enough satire and gore to qualify as a decent chiller. This isn’t Colin Farrell’s first go round in the bad guy role and he pulls it off quite nicely. Anton Yelchin’s boyish charm is perfectly suited for Charley and works well opposite Farrell. I like Toni Collette but her talents are simply wasted here. Chris Sarandon’s cameo was a nice touch though. David Tennant’s Peter Vincent provides the comic relief and pales in comparison to Roddy McDowall in the same role from the original film. Fright night is a fun, bloody, homage that clearly isn’t meant to supplant the original. It’s about what you would expect of a teen/horror movie today but with a pinch of this and a dash of that to add more flavor. I didn’t mind it at all.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for bloody horror violence, language and some sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Fright night 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.5 Mbps.

Fright night in 3D makes definitive use of the 3D platform with a noticeable emphasis on effects that are designed to elicit audience reaction via objects coming out of the screen etc. I found that implementation to be successful in this regard. Looking at it in terms of realistic depth, dimension and virtual cohesiveness the results are good but fall shy of best overall high definition 3D experiences I have had in my theater. When there is no use of the “in your face” 3D effects the video offers appreciable separation of the elements onscreen although depth varies with the camera’s perspective. I saw a little ghosting/crosstalk but it was minimal at best. Comparing contrast, black levels, and color reproduction I saw little to no difference between the 3D and 2D presentations. The rendering of detail and clarity is also similar although I would give the slightest edge to the 3D version. The fact that this film was specifically made with 3D in mind probably made for a better experience than it would have with a different type of film. Like the 2D presentation, this isn’t a visually stimulating experience but it satisfies just the same.

The lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround mix does a nice job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that quite often engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. The front channels are seamlessly integrated with the surrounds tightly infused to create an immersive and stable soundstage. This mix creates a two dimensional sound field that comes alive when the action kicks in. There is lots of rich atmospheric ambience, involving near field sound effects, and robust dynamics that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces the film’s music and extended lower bass frequencies with impact that has excellent tactility. An overall great sounding audio presentation.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Fright night comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps.

The video has a stylized look that utilizes a de-saturated color scheme and slightly scaled back contrast which gives images a flatter less dynamic appearance. Blacks are fairly strong and detail in dark areas and shadowy backgrounds is excellent. Resolution is notable however due to the nature of the photography definitive sharpness and fine detail rendering fluctuates here and there. This doesn’t inhibit the ability to visually resolve the structure of objects/backgrounds within the frame but slightly diminishes it on occasion. Conversely there are times when images have excellent three dimensional depth and sparkling clarity. I thought that the look of the film mated quite well with the nature of the story.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2: - 2D Blu-ray plus the following bonus features:

• (HD) Peter Vincent: Come swim in my mind – 2 minute feature

• (HD) Fright night: The official “How to make a funny vampire movie” guide – 8 minute production featurette

• (HD) 5 deleted/extended scenes

• (HD) Squid man: Extended and uncut – 3 minutes

• (HD) Blooper reel – 3 minutes

• (HD) Kid Cudi’s “No one believes me” music video – 5 minutes

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD/Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the 1985 cult classic film of the same name Fright Night is a fun, bloody, homage that doesn’t live up to the original but by today’s standards makes for a decent teen/horror flick. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney in this three disc package that includes an entertaining high definition 3D presentation, excellent DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround and a limited, but amusing assortment of bonus material. I had a good time with it and would recommend it as a rental when you’re in the mood for a little light horror fun on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ralph, the name of the actor who played Peter Vincent in the original is spelled Roddy McDowall (probably best known for the "Planet of the Apes" movies today).
post #3 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Ralph, the name of the actor who played Peter Vincent in the original is spelled Roddy McDowall (probably best known for the "Planet of the Apes" movies today).

Greetings,

I knew that. Typing too fast! Corrected.

Thanks for catching that Steve.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 14 Old 12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Thanks for the review. Enjoyed the original as a kid. I hope this new one is not as lame as their cover art.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #5 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
Hi

only English on the Blu-ray (3D version) ?

Thanks.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I quite enjoyed this "remake". Colin Farrell played a great bad guy. And for the record, I really enjoyed the original as a kid too.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #7 of 14 Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As there's no review for the Blu-ray 2D version which I saw over the weekend, I thought I'd chime in a few comments.

Agree that the movie lacks the charm and wit of the original. It's not an utter disaster as far as recent big budget remakes go though (reference: The Thing 2011) but it's frustrating how many missed opportunities there are scattered throughout the movie. Notably the characterization of Peter Vincent which never really pushes the envelope as a sharp parody of "magician" Chriss Angel - something driven home in the fake mini-documentary in the "Extras" section where (I) the viewer was hoping for an almost Spinal Tappish Nigel Tuffnel interview with the character.

There are some good points through the film, the highway attack by Jerry is one such bit. Colin Farrell plays a good bad guy but it's basically the same riff he did playing Bullseye in Daredevil almost a decade ago.

On the technical side, I had no problem with the video quality and transfer although the it looked a bit soft and it seemed CGI was way overused to the point even simple exteriors like houses were totally constructed digitally.

However the audio (especially dialog on the center channel) seemed mixed very low in comparison to most modern Blu-ray releases, something very noticeable in the first few minutes of the movie which had me scrambling to adjust volume to a proper listening level. And as with most releases, the viewer has to balance dialog levels with big BAM! POW! effects/music cues to get a proper listening level and due to the low mix, so it was a little more work then normal for this movie.

T.B.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
I liked the original "Fright Night." The new one looks and sounds great and Colin Farrell is a lot more menacing then Chris Saranden was in the original. 3D is well handled and adds to the atmosphere. The lack of humor is due to the bad writing for David Tennant's "Peter Vincent" character. Roddy McDowall was a marvel and set the tone for the original. For those with multi region Blu-Ray players, check out Colin Farrell at his black Irish best along with Ray Winstone and Keira Knightley in "London Boulevard."
post #9 of 14 Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Watched the 2D rental version. I agree that Farrell is terrific as the vamp. Best use of eye makeup in recent memory. Audio is top notch and surround is very engaging. As a screenplay, the original beats this one by quite a bit, but this one is much more fun to watch after you slog through the first 45 min.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I thought I had my Epson 3010 dialed in pretty well, especially for 3D, but I found some of the darker scenes in this film - particularly toward the beginning when they were in the house at night - nearly unwatchable. I must have gotten a bad copy or something, cause I've had excellent experiences with 3D so far and everyone else seems to be ok with the video side.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I thought I had my Epson 3010 dialed in pretty well, especially for 3D, but I found some of the darker scenes in this film - particularly toward the beginning when they were in the house at night - nearly unwatchable. I must have gotten a bad copy or something, cause I've had excellent experiences with 3D so far and everyone else seems to be ok with the video side.

One thing I learned while looking at various 3D sets is that they are quite different from each other (both active and passive), even with similar settings. I noticed many sets were darker than others, some had more detail, or less crosstalk, etc. etc. So it just might be a matter of how one display handles darkness over another. While I had no trouble follwing the action in the dark, many others did (including some reviewers). So probably not much to worry about. It WAS an inky flick!

post #12 of 14 Old 12-29-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

One thing I learned while looking at various 3D sets is that they are quite different from each other (both active and passive), even with similar settings. I noticed many sets were darker than others, some had more detail, or less crosstalk, etc. etc. So it just might be a matter of how one display handles darkness over another. While I had no trouble follwing the action in the dark, many others did (including some reviewers). So probably not much to worry about. It WAS an inky flick!

It just threw me for a loop because everything I had watched in 3D since buying this projector didn't only look good, it looked fantastic. Nice bright, vibrant images that really made for a fun viewing experience. I've been reading some other articles/blogs about this film, though, and it seems there were some filming techniques they used, particularly as it pertained to the lighting, that didn't exactly lend itself to great 3D. So I feel better that it wasn't my projector...on to the next 3D bluray!
post #13 of 14 Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 AM

I've been looking for another 3d movie to watch on our new plasma! Thanks for another great review Ralph!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM

I was a big fan of the original and was expecting to be let down, but I thought this remake was enjoyable. Hard to touch McDowall's character and I'm glad nobody tried a reprise. Enough fun stuff to make it interesting.

This is one of the first BRs I've watched since installing two Polk RC85i's for side surrounds and I have to say that I found the audio to be very engaging. Organ soundtrack was very 'claustrophobic' while some of the action sequences widened out. Several times it sounded as if I had a speaker right at my ear delivering Jerry's dialogue. Very effective.

Thanks for the review.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Fright Night Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page