Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Somehow I missed that, but he still shouldn't have gotten that line. Should have been worked into Ceasar's first words somehow I think. Hope I'm not spoling anything for anyone, but couldn't figure out how to wrap in spoiler tags.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Thanks man, I just ordered a copy of Cloverfield off of Amazon This conversation has me totally fired up to see it again!

I've always been more of a renter than a buyer, but I totally agree with you. We're at the point now with bluray where the quality is SO good in terms of both the video and the audio, that's a lot of these titles are no-brainers. It seems the older I get (I'll be 40 in May), the more I appreciate all the long, hard work that goes into these films, and as you said, $15 is a very small price to pay to own the end result. I enjoyed Apes more than I thought I would, so I'm really thinking about adding this to my collection, as well. This hobby is great

Cloverfield was one of those discs I puirchased at Best Buy in December 2010 on a whim for (I think) $12.00. I thought I remembered Ralph giving it a decent review, especially for the sound so I took a chance. What the hell?
It was cheap. Man, what a great surprise I had. Turned out to be very enjoyable. I like when that happens.
post #63 of 89 Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

Cloverfield was one of those discs I puirchased at Best Buy in December 2010 on a whim for (I think) $12.00. I thought I remembered Ralph giving it a decent review, especially for the sound so I took a chance. What the hell?
It was cheap. Man, what a great surprise I had. Turned out to be very enjoyable. I like when that happens.

Absolutely...it was a great ride! I actually use that as my frame of reference in a lot of ways, and even though Apes wasn't quite the same experience, I do really like when the audio on these films takes the experience to a new level.
post #64 of 89 Old 01-01-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings,

Happy New Year!

I appreciate the spirit of this discussion but I would like to ask that we move back onto the thread topic.

Thanks.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #65 of 89 Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well everyone in my household loved it(thought my wife and daughter would hate it) ! Much better than the Matt Walberg disaster.

Can't see how anyone could rip the ending unless your expecting WW3 for the climax.
post #66 of 89 Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
This was pretty good. Always issues with a movie like this but the tone was perfect and made up for the stretch that was the last 40 minutes.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #67 of 89 Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Great review Ralph I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

Frank

post #68 of 89 Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Strong movie in every way. I could not get hold of a Blue ray, but between my Oppo 93 upconversion and the script/acting/storyline etc., I still enjoyed the DVD thoroughly.
post #69 of 89 Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Great review Ralph I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Frank!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #70 of 89 Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Just saw this reboot.

Uneven CGI work... sometimes it was almost photo realistic and other times it looked cartoonish.

The story was choppy throughout (it reminded me of the ADHD editing style of The Dark Knight, which also bugged the hell out of me), but especially in the first 1/3 of the film.

Its character development was given short shrift, especially Franco, the lovely Pinto, Lithgow, and Oyelowo's. The villainous characters were stock and thinly created. Also, it seemed like more of a basic set up for yet another reboot sequel.

The worst part was that the many intelligent and thought provoking aspects of the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and its original first draft screenplay treatment by the incomparable Rod Serling (of The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery fame) were downplayed or eliminated altogether.

Serling's draft bolstered the original novel's cautionary and roll reversal aspects that were mostly kept intact through its revision by Michael Wilson (screenwriter on The Bridge on the River Kwai among other classics).

In its place was a fairly routine "geneticists and greedy corporate honchos run amok" Hollywood paint-by-numbers story with a bit of 12 Monkeys thrown in. Hardly original.

It coulda been a contender, but sadly fell short of its potential.

The original 1968 classic is by far the better movie with its low budget, rubber monkey masks and all. I'll even go so far as to put Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Escape from the Planet of the Apes a few notches above this reboot as well even with a few of their warts.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #71 of 89 Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Just saw this reboot.

Uneven CGI work... sometimes it was almost photo realistic and other times it looked cartoonish.

The story was choppy throughout (it reminded me of the ADHD editing style of The Dark Knight, which also bugged the hell out of me), but especially in the first 1/3 of the film.

Its character development was given short shrift, especially Franco, the lovely Pinto, Lithgow, and Oyelowo's. The villainous characters were stock and thinly created. Also, it seemed like more of a basic set up for yet another reboot sequel.

The worst part was that the many intelligent and thought provoking aspects of the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and its original first draft screenplay treatment by the incomparable Rod Serling (of The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery fame) were downplayed or eliminated altogether.

Serling's draft bolstered the original novel's cautionary and roll reversal aspects that were mostly kept intact through its revision by Michael Wilson (screenwriter on The Bridge on the River Kwai among other classics).

In its place was a fairly routine "geneticists and greedy corporate honchos run amok" Hollywood paint-by-numbers story with a bit of 12 Monkeys thrown in. Hardly original.

It coulda been a contender, but sadly fell short of its potential.

The original 1968 classic is by far the better movie with its low budget, rubber monkey masks and all. I'll even go so far as to put Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Escape from the Planet of the Apes a few notches above this reboot as well even with a few of their warts.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Dan.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #72 of 89 Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM

More like 100% Notice there's never any kick from a rifle shot, and no one's hearing is ever effected, either, as two prevalent examples. Which is completely unrealistic since a single shotgun blast (165 dB) is sufficient to damage one's hearing significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

....but >90% of all movies require this.

post #73 of 89 Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

More like 100% Notice there's never any kick from a rifle shot, and no one's hearing is ever effected, either, as two prevalent examples. Which is completely unrealistic since a single shotgun blast (165 dB) is sufficient to damage one's hearing significantly.

... and the sounds of a raging battle always lower enough that the hero and heroine can have a quick but meaningful exchange of words in the midst of the commotion, and a martial arts expert can kick someone hard enough to send them flying 20' without snapping their spine, and someone can be tossed into a wall on the other side of the room and just get up, and...

Movies have always required a certain suspension of disbelief. I (mostly) only ask that they don't break their own internal rules.
post #74 of 89 Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Ha ha, absolutely.

I always shake my head when the villain gives a just too long soliloquy on the ass whuppin' he's about to administer to the lily clean good guy; just enough time for the good guy to grab a garbage can tin and punk slap the bad guy until the cops arrive. Sigh.

Here's a classic from scarface, after his compadre gets shot, waving it off as if it were nothing: "it went in and out." It went in and out?!?

For the record, adult chimps are four and a half feet tall, not six feet tall!
post #75 of 89 Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing I can think of is that the serum mutated Caesar's growth pattern, and musculature and skeletal structure. Notice that he walked almost upright as well and would need different vocal cords to speak as a human.

The end result is a human/chimp hybrid.

post #76 of 89 Old 01-10-2012, 02:19 AM

I thought it was a brain serum only. This shouldn't affect vocal chords or pelvic structure.

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is that the serum mutated Caesar's growth pattern, and musculature and skeletal structure. Notice that he walked almost upright as well and would need different vocal cords to speak as a human.

The end result is a human/chimp hybrid.

post #77 of 89 Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I thought it was a brain serum only. This shouldn't affect vocal chords or pelvic structure.

Obviously it MUST have effected other things.
post #78 of 89 Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

+1.
It looked like there were some corners cut in the CGI budget, it really distracted me at times. Loved the great PQ and AQ though, and the story didn't completely suck even if there were no surprises. A good popcorn rental, not worth a re-watch.
post #79 of 89 Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 AM

I finally watched the Blu-ray last night. I wasn't a huge fan of the film. I thought the CGI was marginal at best. The gorillas and orangutans looked more realistic than the chimps. I also couldn't get over the plot hole that this huge corporation of geneticists somehow overlooked the pregnancy of Bright Eyes.
post #80 of 89 Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakdaripper View Post

I finally watched the Blu-ray last night. I wasn't a huge fan of the film. I thought the CGI was marginal at best. The gorillas and orangutans looked more realistic than the chimps. I also couldn't get over the plot hole that this huge corporation of geneticists somehow overlooked the pregnancy of Bright Eyes.

The other massive hole was the laughable lack of precautions taken when administering the aerosol viral agent to the chimp - resulting in one person being exposed. This could never happen since they would have been in suits and hoods.
post #81 of 89 Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Another thing I couldn't get over is.... Oh wait. It's just a movie.

Kaboom.
post #82 of 89 Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember, Caesar was affected because his mother, Bright Eyes (a nickname Dr. Zera gave Heston's character in the original - and superior - film), was injected with the serum and it changed her baby on the genetic level.

post #83 of 89 Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Another thing I couldn't get over is.... Oh wait. It's just a movie.

But a movie still has to live within a set of rules established in the storyline and the environment in which it plays out. If it breaks its own rules to more easily and conveniently move the plot along... the screenplay is weaker than it should have been.

It starts to feel like a bunch of deus ex machina moments.

post #84 of 89 Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Watched this last night.

Just did not get into it.. James Franco was just not into it and the story line just fell flat..

Average sound but in the final scenes in and near the helicopter, the lab's director seemed to have his dialog mixed way low and I could barely hear it. An error in editing. Surprised nobody spotted it!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #85 of 89 Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM

Hi guy's,
i just rented this today, and my player seems to have issues with it. On the disk there's no scratches or deep scuffs. I have latest firmware update on my samsung bdp-1500. anyone else had issues? it will load,and load,and load then a message comes up say's this disc can not be played. frown.gif
post #86 of 89 Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Hi guy's,
i just rented this today, and my player seems to have issues with it. On the disk there's no scratches or deep scuffs. I have latest firmware update on my samsung bdp-1500. anyone else had issues? it will load,and load,and load then a message comes up say's this disc can not be played. frown.gif

Greetings,

Trying clearing your player's persistent storage (BD Data) and load again.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #87 of 89 Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 PM

Hi,
Ralph thanks i'll give that a shot. i'll report asap
post #88 of 89 Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Hi ralph,
i went under my blu ray player settings and some odd reason "persistent storage management" is grayed out.
post #89 of 89 Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Hi ralph,
i went under my blu ray player settings and some odd reason "persistent storage management" is grayed out.

Greetings,

Do you have BD-Live enabled and your player connected to the internet either wired or wirelessly?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes Two Disc Edition Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Combo Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page