Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-18-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
attachment.php?attachmentid=230202&d=1323446297
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Image Entertainment - 2010
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 46 minutes
Genre: : Documentary

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: MVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English, French, Spanish DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: N/A
Starring: Helen Mirren, Hamzah Jamjoom
Directed by: Greg MacGillivray
Music by: Steve Wood
Written by: Jack Stephens
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 6, 2011

"Travel to an exotic and extraordinary land."

Film Synopsis:

From the Academy Award®-nominated producers of Everest and Grand Canyon Adventure comes an all-new experience about the extraordinary culture and history of Arabia.

My Take:

Arabia 3D (IMAX) is another entry in Image Entertainments 3D IMAX series. It was produced by MacGillivray-Freeman Films, the folks who made Everest and Grand Canyon Adventure. As a documentary it is pretty run-of-the-mill and does not tread new territory, but if you are in it for the 3D views, you will be in for a treat. To get to see Mecca and the largest human gathering on earth in 3D is nothing short of breathtaking. A wild desert sandstorm will have you squinting and your surrounds getting a nice workout, and the stunning aquatic shots of coral reefs and ancient shipwrecks in the Red Sea are equally impressive. This feature is narrated by Helen Mirren and stars Hamzah Jamjoom, a 22-year-old aspiring Arabian film-making and student who comes home from the USA to make a film about his native culture. The 45 minutes does have glimpses of the personal touch Hamzah puts on this chance of showing his peoples roots, but most of the time it serves as a fairly standard history lesson.

Parental Guide:

Family friendly with heavy subject matter.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

3D Presentation: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Arabia 3D (IMAX) comes to Blu-ray Disc from Image Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 mbps and DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has a average bitrate of 2.7 mbps

Arabia 3D (IMAX) sure is demo material. I am not a big fan of 3D as it tends to make me a bit uncomfortable, especially during a long movie, so for me these 45 min documentaries are right up my alley. This might just be the best I have yet to see from a A/V quality standpoint. The depth of field was stunning, especially during the journey into the Red Sea. What was so breathtaking is that depth combined with the in-room dimension of fish swimming. Couple that with spot-on colors and fine details that are up there with the best of the 2D releases and you sure have a 3D fans delight. The audio was no slouch as well, with an immersive sound-field that utilized the effects channels to add another level to the already fantastic depth the 3D created. The narration and musical portions were powerful as well. Voices are crisp and clear, showcasing every bit of sibilance and enunciation and the score by Steve Wood was big and bold. He deserves credit as a musical chameleon, doing the scores in many different genres for many MacGillivray-Freeman Films.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Making Of Arabia

• (HD) The MacGillivray Freeman History

• (HD) IMAX Trailers

• BD live

Final Thoughts:

As a documentary Arabia 3D (IMAX) does not tread new territory, but if you are in it for the 3D views, you will be in for a treat. I prefer my 3D viewing in smaller durations, so these 45 minute IMAX films are right up my alley. This is an reference 3D encode and great addition to Image Entertainments impressive list of 3D releases, and a definite to any fan or collector of 3D Blu-ray!

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X30 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MK Sound S-150MKII LCR
MK Sound S-150T Tripole Surrounds
MK Sound MX-350MKII Subwoofer
Xpand X104 3D Glasses

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just saw this in 3D and thought it was atrocious, both the 3D and the film. Basically unwatchable
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Just saw this in 3D and thought it was atrocious, both the 3D and the film. Basically unwatchable

I cant argue your perception on the film,I thought it was OK at best, however, you might want to check your set-up as the 3D and audio were quite astonishing.

Lee

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 126
I don't understand why all these IMAX 3D films get such lousy reviews. I have only seen about two of them, both were in the theater, and I love both. I've looked for an IMAX 3D release to buy, but every time I look people crap all over them. What is up with these films??

post #5 of 6 Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

I cant argue your perception on the film,I thought it was OK at best, however, you might want to check your set-up as the 3D and audio were quite astonishing.

I agree that the audio was great but the 3D didn't look good to me. I just saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams and thought that the 3D was amazing. Much better film too.

R
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought the 3D to be below par, take a look at chapter 7-13:30 and chapter 9-20:00, there is of course more depth in 3D but not much, maybe because of the way IMAX was shot which already gives some depth to 2D as well.
The "Making of" in 2D has a great image as good as the movie!
The movie is OK, good for a rental only.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Imax Arabia Blu Ray 3d , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page