Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 106/117 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Anna Faris, Chris Evans, Ari Graynor, Blythe Danner, Ed Begley Jr., Chris Pratt, Joel McHale, Anthony Mackie, Zachary Quinto,
Directed by: Mark Mylod
Music by: Aaron Zigman
Written by: Gabrielle Allan & Jennifer Crittenden
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 10, 2012

"Ally's looking for the best ex of her life"

Film Synopsis:

Anna Faris and Chris Evans star in the outrageously funny comedy that asks: can 19 wrongs make Mr. Right? When Ally Darling (Faris) reads an article that leads her to believe she's going to be alone forever, she begins a wild search to find the best "ex" of her life. But Ally's quest to reconnect with her former lovers goes hilariously awry, from a puppeteer who's more wooden than his puppet to a gynecologist with a "spotty" memory. Through it all, Ally might just find the man of her dreams in the last place she ever expected.

My Take:

What's your number? introduces us to marketing executive Ally Darling (Anna Faris) who reads a magazine article that asks the reader to calculate how many people she has slept with. Realizing that her number is double the average, Ally decides to track down all of her ex-boyfriends in the hope that one of them will have grown into the man she wants to marry, and therefore the number of men she has slept with will never have to increase. With the help of her hunky new neighbor (Chris Evans), Ally starts tracking down all her ex-boyfriends. In exchange she agrees to help him escape his latest conquest the morning after. Ally's plan doesn't go quite a smoothly as she had hoped when she discovers that perhaps there is a reason that her ex's are in fact ex's. After a series of hilariously awkward situations Ally finally comes upon her best ex only to find that maybe numbers aren't all that important after all.

This is a conventional romantic comedy that adheres to the same contemporary formula we have all seen before. Yes, it's predictable however Anna Faris manages to make it palatable with her effecting charm and pitch perfect comedic timing. Her onscreen chemistry with Chris Evans doesn't set off fireworks but is viable and fun to watch. I found myself chuckling aloud a few times and as a fan of the feel good guy gets the girl (or in this case girl gets the guy) this one worked out well enough to keep me interested. I thought the inclusion of familiar faces (such as: Chris Pratt, Joel McHale, Anthony Mackie, Zachary Quinto, Dave Annable and Andy Samberg) in the roles of Ally's ex's was a nice touch. What's your number? is a typical romantic comedy that probably won't leave a lasting impression however while watching it I found it to be amusing and mildly charming enough to qualify as entertaining. Both the theatrical cut (which I watched) and an extended version are included. The latter adds approximately 11 minutes to the original's runtime and is probably worth checking out if you're a fan.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

What's your number? comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.9 Mbps.

This is a high bitrate video encoding that looks great. Appreciable levels of detail are visible throughout which presents images with discerning high definition quality. Colors are bright and deeply saturated which sometimes makes them appear exaggerated when onscreen in multiple layers. Overall they are pleasing to the eye and vivid. Flesh tones are warm with natural looking complexions that have appreciable tonal delineation among the various cast members. Contrast and black levels were good enough that blacks appeared noise free and deep while whites were punchy without being devoid of detail and appearing over cooked. I didn't notice any signs of video related artifacts or compression noise.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren't intense but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film's recorded elements.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Unrated versions of the film

• (HD) 8 deleted scenes

• (HD) 7 minute gag reel

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD of What's your number?

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book 20 times a lady by Karyn Bosnak What's your number? is a conventional romantic comedy that I found occasionally amusing and mildly charming thanks to the always reliable Anna Faris. Fox brings it to Blu-ray Disc featuring excellent high definition video, clear lossless sound quality and a limited supplemental offering that includes deleted scenes, a gag reel and a bonus DVD/digital copy. If you're a rom/com fan it's worth a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree with Ralphs take on this movie.

I think i've seen the majority of Anna Faris's movie and thought they were great. And this one is no exception even though the story and plot is nothing new. Mr Captain America wasn't bad either.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I'll watch anything Anna Farris does. She's cute and funny.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Ralph, I just want to let you know I enjoy your reviews and let you know your effort is much appreciated

Watched this film with my wife last night. It was a snowy evening and we had spent all day inside with a fair amount of cabin fever setting in. So we actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I thought it was fairly entertaining and a bit raunchy but not over the top.

I can certainly see its flaws and its a story we have seen countless times in Hollywood especially lately. However for our situation it passed a healthy 2 hours of our time. I would say it would make a great rental but I doubt we will watch it again anytime soon.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

Ralph, I just want to let you know I enjoy your reviews and let you know your effort is much appreciated

Watched this film with my wife last night. It was a snowy evening and we had spent all day inside with a fair amount of cabin fever setting in. So we actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I thought it was fairly entertaining and a bit raunchy but not over the top.

I can certainly see its flaws and its a story we have seen countless times in Hollywood especially lately. However for our situation it passed a healthy 2 hours of our time. I would say it would make a great rental but I doubt we will watch it again anytime soon.

Greetings,

Thanks much longhaul747. Glad that you and your wife enjoyed this one.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Whats Your Number Ex Tended Edition Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page