The Thing (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Did you not read the review? It's not a remake, it's a prequel.

My bad. Must've missed that on the review. Might give this one a shot. The youtube posting of the animatronics and special effects looked very intriguing.
JamE55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 45 Old 01-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Member
 
astroidbltwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
waiting for the box set, from carpenter
astroidbltwalker is offline  
post #33 of 45 Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
djbluemax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Just watched this based on the decent reviews and found it entertaining enough. Nothing mindblowing and not much different from the John Carpenter version, but the tie-in to that movie was nice. Acting overall was decent.


Max
djbluemax1 is offline  
post #34 of 45 Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I enjoyed this movie much better than I expected. Though the final act slowed the tension down from all the build up at the work site. I beleive it would have been a better film for me if it was able to keep story/action located in the small encampment

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is offline  
post #35 of 45 Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Malcolm_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CLASSIFIED
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Couldn't find this one in any local *Best* Buy, so ordered it online. Gift card kept me from looking elsewhere.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Malcolm_B is offline  
post #36 of 45 Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
 
Lee Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

I enjoyed this movie much better than I expected. Though the final act slowed the tension down from all the build up at the work site. I beleive it would have been a better film for me if it was able to keep story/action located in the small encampment

Ditto.

Ralph nailed that the characters were not nearly as strong as Carpenters, but for intents and purposes, this was a well done movie. Also, I was loving the surround sound presentation when The Thing was above head and behind...it was awesome. However, a one time watch for me, an avid Carpenter Thing fan.
Lee Weber is offline  
post #37 of 45 Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Newbie
 
Safari Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Ditto.

Ralph nailed that the characters were not nearly as strong as Carpenters, but for intents and purposes, this was a well done movie. Also, I was loving the surround sound presentation when The Thing was above head and behind...it was awesome. However, a one time watch for me, an avid Carpenter Thing fan.

That's just how I felt about it. I love the JC version (it's my favorite JC movie and my second favorite Kurt Russell role), but really what is better about it is the great, memorable characters. Overall I thought the new one was a pretty good movie, not deserving of all the negativity it receives.
Safari Ken is offline  
post #38 of 45 Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I really can't understand why anyone would compare 1951's The Thing (From Another World) to John Carpenter's The Thing. They are two totally different films from totally different eras and with totally different takes on the alien invasion theme. Yes, they are based on the same short story but that's about as far as any comparison can go.

The 1951 version was done on a shoestring budget during an era when they didn't have the technical capabilities (nor probably the guts) to create a film that accurately followed the plotline of "Who Goes There", so they produced one of many 50's sci-fi allegories of The Red Menace. Was it well done? Definitely, but aside from the arctic setting, it had little in common with either its literary basis or the 1982 film; which DOES follow the short story quite well.

Both the 1951 and the 1982 films, taken on their own, are excellent examples of their time and genre but the times and genres were quite different.

Be seeing you!
cctvtech is offline  
post #39 of 45 Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stepyourgameup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just watched the new version and while it wasn't terrible it just didn't have the same feeling of dread and suspense as the 82 classic. It's like hearing a karaoke version of a legendary song. There should be a label on the disc that says "in the style of John Carpenter"

Mary Elizabeth Winstead did give a solid performance though.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
stepyourgameup is offline  
post #40 of 45 Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Member
 
Yosemite Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

I just watched the new version and while it wasn't terrible it just didn't have the same feeling of dread and suspense as the 82 classic. It's like hearing a karaoke version of a legendary song. There should be a label on the disc that says "in the style of John Carpenter"

Mary Elizabeth Winstead did give a solid performance though.

I agree, maybe it's because newer movies have this more sterile look to it with perfect lighting but the movie didn't convey that feeling they were in a lonely outpost in the Arctic. Everything looked too clean for lack of a better word.

And what happened to Winstead's character at the end or did I miss something? I assume she survived so wouldn't she have heard the helicopter the next morning and they never really explain who attacked that Lars guy. I really don't try and look for plotholes but some stood out for some reasom to me. For instance they say that alien can't replicate inorganic material (I guess this was done so they wouldn't have to copy the blood testing scene of the original) but if that's the case then why would some people's clothing remained intact when it was obvious they had been attacked just a little while before?
Yosemite Dan is offline  
post #41 of 45 Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cctvtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

...they say that alien can't replicate inorganic material (I guess this was done so they wouldn't have to copy the blood testing scene of the original) but if that's the case then why would some people's clothing remained intact when it was obvious they had been attacked just a little while before?

Perhaps they were wearing cotton or wool (organic) versus polyester or nylon (inorganic)?

Be seeing you!
cctvtech is offline  
post #42 of 45 Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Yosemite Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Perhaps they were wearing cotton or wool (organic) versus polyester or nylon (inorganic)?

That doesn't explain zippers or buttons but heck plot holes in horror movies should be a given so I'm not sure why I'm even bothered by this.

I am more bothered by what happened to the Winstead character. When she was in the truck after she killed the guy with the earring, was there a creature looming up behind her that I didn't notice? It's just that the director made such a point of tying the 1982 film into the new one. Do we just have to assume that she dies that night because she apparently didn't hear the helicopter the next morning and Kurt Russel and the gang came to the base the next day and you would think they would find her there as well.
Yosemite Dan is offline  
post #43 of 45 Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
starman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

That doesn't explain zippers or buttons but heck plot holes in horror movies should be a given so I'm not sure why I'm even bothered by this.

I am more bothered by what happened to the Winstead character. When she was in the truck after she killed the guy with the earring, was there a creature looming up behind her that I didn't notice? It's just that the director made such a point of tying the 1982 film into the new one. Do we just have to assume that she dies that night because she apparently didn't hear the helicopter the next morning and Kurt Russel and the gang came to the base the next day and you would think they would find her there as well.

I'm gonna try and use spoilers here...

Code:
The impression I got was that Lars was attacked by the American pilots (Carter and the black guy). Winstead's character had nowhere to go as she torched the only remaining vehicle with any fuel in it. She perished from cold that night. End of...
starman7 is offline  
post #44 of 45 Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bosng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I believe they left winsteads' character



*********************


[SPOILERS] open ended because she was still left with the other functioning snow mobile driven to the ships site (by other alien) and possibly make it to the russian camp. which sets up a sequel very nicely. maybe she can lead search and destroy/rescue mission to the american site and look for survivors. [/SPOILERS]
bosng is offline  
post #45 of 45 Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There was no sign of the snowtrucks in the Carpenter film, even if she drove off, the other truck with the Carter guy's remains should have been found by the American's. I immediately watched the Carpenter's version right after this to see if there was any signs I've missed. I didn't. The other details at the Norwegian camp was pretty close but not quiet the same except for the bloody ax on the door, that was creepy actually watching it back to back.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Thing Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off