Studio and Year: Disney - 1955
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 76 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.55:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Peggy Lee, Barbara Luddy, Larry Roberts, Alan Reed, Bill Thompson, Dal McKennon, Bill Baucom, Lee Miller
Directed by: Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske
Music by: Oliver Wallace
Written by: Ward Greene, Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Ralph Wright, Don DaGradi
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 7, 2012

"One of the greatest love stories ever told"

Film Synopsis:

Generations of fans have fallen in love with Disney's 15th animated masterpiece -- an irresistible song-filled adventure about Lady, a lovingly pampered cocker spaniel, and Tramp, a roguish mutt from across the tracks. When Aunt Sarah moves in with her devious felines Si and Am to baby-sit, the very protective Lady soon finds herself being fitted for the unthinkable -- a muzzle! In her bid for freedom, she meets and is charmed by Tramp, dog-about-town. Together with friends Jock, Trusty, and Peg, they share thrilling adventures on an enchanting evening as Lady learns what it means to be footloose and leash-free.

My Take:

A classic love story unfolds in the best Disney tradition as a lovely young pedigreed cocker spaniel named Lady, who lives a pampered life, finds herself falling romantically for Tramp, an amorous street-smart pooch without prospects. Although they have fun together on several dates, including a sentimental spaghetti dinner by moonlight at Tony’s restaurant, their relationship is strained not only by Lady’s loyalty to her human family and their newborn baby, but by Tramp’s devil-may-care attitude that eventually gets Lady in trouble and tossed into the dog pound. However, good-hearted Tramp redeems himself by saving the baby from potential harm and thus wins Lady’s love and the affection of her human family.

With Lady and the Tramp we get a beautifully told romance along with a little danger, suspense and touching moments (as Disney does so well). The integration of the music in the story’s telling is beautifully crafted. Lady and the Tramp like many of Disney’s classic animated features has easily stood the test of time and continues to touch generations of viewers since the 50 plus years since its release. Disney is a class act with an impeccable track record for wonderful family oriented films.

This Diamond Edition home video release of Lady and the Tramp is another example of their fervent commitment to the Blu-ray format as their high definition presentations have consistently yielded technically impressive results along with fan friendly supplemental material. I appreciate the attention to detail and implementation of features such as their enhanced menu navigation, BD-Live interactivity, Movie Rewards, Fast play, and in this case their Story Meetings-enhanced feature and Second Screen option which is innovative and just plain cool. Their willingness to digitally restore their films while carefully preserving the original source elements allows fans and newcomers alike to experience them looking and sounding better than ever. I am thrilled that this animated classic has finally arrived in high definition. I can assure you that the wait was well worth it.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Lady and the Tramp comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This film has undergone a restorative process and the results are impressive. Colors shine brilliantly with pleasing saturation and striking blues that look absolutely beautiful. The original film elements don’t have the highly polished gloss of today’s digitally enhanced animated films which is to be expected but this presentation isn’t far behind. On several occasions I found myself marveling at just how good this 50 plus year old animated feature looked. Fidelity is intact and images have excellent visual depth with deep, rich, color fidelity and stable contrast that enhances dimension. I can fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into design of each of the animated characters. Contrast and brightness is stable and strikes a wonderful balance that highlights the multi-layered grays and delineated chromatic elements within the video. Blacks have excellent depth and dynamic range while falling just shy of the ink like levels of the best discs available in high definition. Whites sparkle and appear crisp, bright and punchy. As fans I don’t think that we could ask for this film to look any better than this.

Disney provides a new DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix AND a DTS-HD 3.0 Master Audio restoration of the original recording which retains much of the feel of the original while adding a bit of polish. You can’t go wrong either way as they both sound quite good. I utilized the surround mix which is a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, and music that maintains a frontal perspective with wonderfully integrated rear channel atmospherics that seem to naturally broaden the soundstage. The film’s score/music sounds simply marvelous as the musical numbers take center stage and create an enriching surround experience. This isn’t a dynamically enhanced mix but it appropriately supports of the soundtrack’s elements. The audio is crystal clear, free of the edginess and never shows its age which says something for the care that went into the encoding. Chalk up another winner for Disney.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Disc Introduction by Diane Disney Miller – 2 minutes

• Audio Commentary: Inside Walt's Story Meetings -

• (HD) Diane Disney Miller: Remembering Dad – 8 minute retrospective

• (HD) Deleted Scenes – 19 minutes

• (HD) Never Recorded Song: "I'm Free as the Breeze"

• (HD) Disney’s Second Screen App - Featuring "Inside Walt's Story Meetings" – Interactive option highlighted by behind the scene footage, art, storyboards and more.

• Classic DVD Bonus features – Comprised of nearly all of the previously released DVD supplements, including the 53-minute multi-segment "Lady's Pedigree: The Making of Lady and the Tramp". Totaling over two and half hours there are storyboards, songs, the “Belle Notte” music video, trailers, and deleted scenes.

• Bonus DVD: Lady and the Tramp

Final Thoughts:

Lady and the Tramp is among the beloved of the Disney Classic animated feature films. Seeing it again after so many years brought back fond childhood memories. Kudos to Disney on a spectacular Blu-ray Disc offering that presents this wonderful family film looking and sounding better than ever. Its complimentary set of bonus materials includes exclusive Blu-ray and interactive features that present fans with a great way to enhance the high definition experience while taking a peek behind the curtain to learn some interesting background on the film. This excellent Blu-ray release will make for a welcomed addition to your Disney Collection and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, Ralph, nice review; I already have this one pre-ordered, so it's comforting to see the 100 score for video! Also, yours is the second review I've seen to praise the restoration (and the black levels in particular).

I'm still a little disappointed Disney didn't include the recomposed-for-academy-ratio version, but I guess I can refer to the laserdisc for that...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks, Ralph!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've always thought of this movie as the Dog version of The Aristocats. Definitely a movie for the whole family that they can enjoy.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Ralph,

Yes, yes, YES!

I'm so glad to read your positive review and great video score. I also have this pre-ordered - I did it the moment I found out about it - and can't wait to see it. After reading your comments, I'm now sure it'll be spectacular!

I'm very curious about the 3.0 sound. Thanks to Disney for being consistent in their restorations and generous with things like including the 3.0 sound as an alternate choice.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
And to think if Disney hadn't hired a senator this title would be entering into the public domain this year

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Excellent movie and with a score of 100 for the video, definitely worth the upgrade!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Hello Mr. Potts or anyone else.
Could we get some details on the video aspect ratio buzz that is floating around.
It seems the buzz is negative but I don't understand why.

At least, that's what I'm reading on amazon.com reviews.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Hello Mr. Potts or anyone else.
Could we get some details on the video aspect ratio buzz that is floating around.
It seems the buzz is negative but I don't understand why.

At least, that's what I'm reading on amazon.com reviews.

I think when Amazon first posted the listing they had the aspect ratio listed incorrectly (as they often do); 1.85 instead of cinemascope. This was the first feature length animated cinemascope film, so folks are paying attention to that aspect (no pun inteneded!) of the transfer.

As for my comment above, when the film was being produced, many theaters were not equipped for the wider ratio, so Disney actually produced an Academy ratio version. But rather than just cropping, they actually recomposed several scenes. That transfer hasn't hit home media since laserdisc & vhs.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a 10 foot 2.37:1 screen! Can't wait to see this projected onto it!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's definitely 2.55:1 in case anyone is on the fence. The early buzz was negative because it was initially advertised as 1.85:1

Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Great review Ralph, I also have to agree that the picture quality is phenomenal for a movie over 50+ years old! It's simply one of the best animated blu-ray releases I've seen! Disney always does a great job with their classics.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Picked this up for my Grandkids. Found out it's one of my Daughter's favourite Disney movies too.

It looks spectacular! The restoration job is first rate. There is no way you could guess it is over 50 years old. I can't comment on the sound as we played it in the livingroom, not my dedicated theatre room.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM

Liked: 11
I know a lot of people could care less about special features, but I really do, and as such, I wish they had included the still image galleries on the disc that were part of the DVD 2 disc release awhile ago! How much room could it have taken to do that? Instead, we have Disney Second Screen, which is okay, but I preferred the use of the Cine-Explore feature in many earlier Disney BD titles.

Now, I do have a computer with 2 screens and can view it that way, but it's way harder than paying attention to only one screen - and kind of hard to spread the eyes that far apart. Pretty impossible [and impractible] to watch it that way with a really portable phone-like device too. The screen in that case is really dinky.

I really do wish they'd go back to using Cine-Explore.

As far as the movie itself, I've watched part of it to get a taste, and it's impeccable!! Sharpest, and the best I've ever seen for the movie - and I can go back to an old Laserdisc release and then DVD, which at that time I thought was good. Of course, back then we had only S-Video connections and 720 x 486 screen res.

Anyhow, applauds go to them for a [mostly] stellar release.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Anyone having a problem playing this on a Oppo BDP95? I can't get beyond the initial opening Disney animation when you first pop in the disc. It just goes blank before the first preview plays. The disc plays without issues on 3 other BD players including a Panasonic BDT310. I checked the 95's firmware and running the latest version.

Have to agree though that the video is fantastic. Amazing to see.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispy View Post

Anyone having a problem playing this on a Oppo BDP95? I can't get beyond the initial opening Disney animation when you first pop in the disc. It just goes blank before the first preview plays. The disc plays without issues on 3 other BD players including a Panasonic BDT310. I checked the 95's firmware and running the latest version.

A known issue on Oppo 93/95 players with this title.
Workaround: eject disc - erase persistent storage - power off - reload disc.
This may only work once and need to be repeated for each viewing.

There appears to be some differences between the retail and rental versions, but both have loading issues.

Oppo is aware, but you should report it anyway.

FWIW, the BDP-83 has no issues with this title.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM

@rdgrimes - Thank you very much. Your suggestion works. Will report to Oppo as well.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Just received and watched this last night.

What a fantastic re-release. For the age, the video and audio are amazing!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Anyone having a problem playing this on a Oppo BDP95? I can't get beyond the initial opening Disney animation when you first pop in the disc. It just goes blank before the first preview plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A known issue on Oppo 93/95 players with this title.
Workaround: eject disc - erase persistent storage - power off - reload disc.
This may only work once and need to be repeated for each viewing.

This same problem occurs with the Disney/Ghibli Blu-ray of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds.

Fortunately, even the DVD version included with Lady and the Tramp looks and sounds pretty good. I just pop that in for noncritical viewers like my 87-year-old dad and his wife who were visiting from Ohio last week. It's embarrassing to have to go through some stupid ritual just to get a disc to play when your "you spent too much on all this and then it doesn't work" father is sitting in the room.

So I just put in the DVD and hit play.

If I ever meet a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association I'm going to spit in his or her coffee or flip them off or both.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Having similar issues on a Samsung player. I hear audio, but no video. Bummer

Tags
Lady And The Tramp Diamond Edition Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo In Blu Ray Packaging , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com