Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 109 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Cillian Murphy, Olivia Wilde, Alex Pettyfer, Johnny Galecki
Written & Directed by: Andrew Niccol
Music by: Craig Armstrong
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 31, 2012

"It takes time to make time"

Film Synopsis:

In the future, time has become the ultimate currency and genetic alteration has allowed people to stop aging at 25 years old. Upon reaching 25, the countdown begins and in order to stay alive everyone must work to buy themselves more time or die within a year. The rich can buy their way out of the situation, while the rest are left to negotiate for immortality. When a struggling young man, Will Salas (Timberlake), comes in contact with a “millionaire,” he is gifted more time than he can imagine. Falsely accused of murder, Will is a fugitive on the run and becomes determined to bring down the entire system by any means possible.

My Take:

In a not so distant future scientists stumble upon a way to switch off the aging gene which leads to overpopulation and the potential for anarchy. As a means of control people are genetically engineered to stop aging at 25 years old. After that they will live only one more year unless they earn/get more time. In that future time has become the new currency. Those who are “rich” can become immortal while those who aren’t, struggle living month to month, week to week, day to day, hour to hour. In the ghetto time zone of Dayton life’s pace is quick as time is of the essence. In the upscale time zone of New Grenich the pace is lethargic by comparison as the wealthy have no sense of urgency while enjoying the luxuries of their privileged lifestyle. In a system designed to benefit the rich and keep the poor short of time one man is given a gift which enables him to see the societal imbalance and the will and means to do something about it.

The trailer for In time didn’t strike me as something that required a trip to the theater but the premise piqued my interest enough that I looked forward to checking it out when it came to Blu-ray. The synopsis pretty much hit’s the highlights and conceptually speaking there is potential but there are some issues, starting with the premise. The storyline is a sort of Bonnie and Clyde/Robin hood theme set in the sci-fi, thriller, action genre. The idea of genetic engineering for population control is one thing but the ability to live longer by the transference of more time especially when it can be done as simply as by touch makes little sense in a world that is trying to avoid anarchy. There are some obscure plot points that raise questions which are never answered and some of the action is more than a little over the top in the probability department. I can live with that except when it is contradictory within the construct of the storyline. Character development is pretty poor which doesn’t help although I would say that coincides with the remaining aspects of the script. The underlying message about the rich getting richer etc. is overtly emphatic which depending on your point of view smacks of an agenda. Did I dislike In time? Not really. Could it have been a better film? Most definitely. I liked the vintage “futuristic" vehicles used and there is a slickness to the production. The cast is generally fine considering the depth required to portray these roles. I must object to Olivia Wilde’s miniscule part. I had serious doubts about how good this film was going to be after learning who her character was (really?). I like Amanda Seyfried but didn’t find her especially convincing here. My feeling is that her part should have gone to Olivia (much better). I like Justin Timberlake but like Amanda I am not so sure that he was a good fit. There is little to no romantic connection between their characters (although it is intended) which in a film like this negatively effects the perception of chemistry. We won’t even discuss Alex Pettyfer’s hammy performance as the leader of the ghetto thugs. Cillian Murphy as the timekeeper in pursuit of Will and Sylvia steals the show which is a good thing. Based on the potentially interesting allegory inherent in the film’s premise and the appearance of what seems a decent sized budget I think that In time is a swing and a miss that with better execution could have hit it out of the park.

Parental Guide:

The rating is violence, some sexuality, and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

In time comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

Fox has been consistent in the quality of their new releases titles on Blu-ray and this is no exception. This is an excellent high definition presentation that features quantifiable high level detail that manifests itself in the form of crisply defined images with subtle degrees of texture which give the video appreciable depth. Colors are bright and well saturated, with natural rendering and subtle refinement. Dark scenes have appreciable dimension, deep blacks and discernible shadow detail. Contrast and brightness strike a good balance so that bright and dark sequences appear dynamic without discernible loss of detail. I saw no indications of video related anomalies associated with the encoding as the presentation as a whole was whistle clean.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has extended dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in this sometimes involving surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment are discerning. Low frequency effects can be intense as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low level bass and dynamic impact during action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thought the presentation was quite good and as a whole enhanced the enjoyment of the film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The minutes - 16 minute faux documentary/back story

• (HD) 10 deleted/extended scenes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on a decent premise and fitted with a fairly good cast In time gets lost in an underdeveloped script and an overtly preachy message which results in a middling genre film that could have been more. On a positive note its high definition presentation from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment looks and sounds terrific. If you’re a fan this is worth picking up otherwise give it a rent first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Olivia Wilde was as stunning as the transfer.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #3 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Olivia Wilde was as stunning as the transfer.

Tom

Greetings,

I couldn't agree more Tom..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Justin Timberlake can do movies?
post #5 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
well... penguins can do movies too
all is needed is a camera pointed at the creature
post #6 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
+1
post #7 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Ralph, I agree 100% with this review (both on the technical aspects and the story)...it could have been so much more with some further attention to detail in the writing and character development.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #8 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Justin Timberlake can do movies?

He has been pretty funny on SNL, guess anything is possible.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
In Time was decent, but I thought this was a missed opportunity. It could have been better. I could not help but notice the subliminal messages in this movie that can relate somewhat to politics.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Thanks for the review Ralph. I'll give it a rent when its released over here.

Frank

post #11 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Good review.

I don't normally comment on these reviews, but I have to say that this film was disappointingly flat - the story was just not fleshed out enough to be cohesive and, at worst, made no sense.

It's like they were totally unable to get past their overt "anti-establishment" initial justification for the plot premise, to actually get into making a credible and worthwhile attempt at something watchable.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #12 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I liked this movie beacuse of it's concept. Only gripe was Olivia wasn't in this movie long enough.

Thought the ending was great. Definite buy for me.
post #13 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Ralph--was planning to rent this one and your review reinforces that plan.

Bob

post #14 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

No one has a cell phone in the future?

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #15 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Saw this awhile ago, had a interesting concept but felt like it didn't deliver in the end

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #16 of 32 Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM

I had high hopes for this film based on its interesting concept, but it fell short for me. The reasons are the same as Ralph's, and I felt like I was being rushed through this story. There were some entertaining scenes here and there, but not enough to warrant a purchase.

This movie made me want to watch "Gattaca" again for some reason?
post #17 of 32 Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 PM

I enjoyed the movie, that's why I bought it the day it came out on Blu-Ray. I really like the concept of time as money. It's a very interesting way to look at things.

Maybe nobody had cell phones, but they did have intercom / CB radios in the cop cars. Weird.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundnexx View Post

I had high hopes for this film based on its interesting concept, but it fell short for me. The reasons are the same as Ralph's, and I felt like I was being rushed through this story. There were some entertaining scenes here and there, but not enough to warrant a purchase.

This movie made me want to watch "Gattaca" again for some reason?

Gatacca was better

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #19 of 32 Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

I watched this last night through iTunes and enjoyed it. Would not want to add it to my library but it was worth the time to watch it. I like the roles Justin Timberlake has taken on and thought he did a convincing job here--even though the plot was a little thin. Lots of ways the story could have been improved but both Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried played their roles well (but I will confess to being partial to Amanda--I always enjoy her roles)

Bob

post #20 of 32 Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This review is spot on. Movie had great potential but was wholly underwhelming.
post #21 of 32 Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought it as a combo pack and thought it was entertaining. They did leave the end open for a sequel

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #22 of 32 Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 12
yes - this movie had so much more potential. First 15 minutes had me hooked but by the end of the movie I was looking at my wrist to see how much more time this thing had left as the chase kept going on and on.

JT is very cool - but there was no chemistry here with Seyfried. Agree with Ralph that Olivia Wilde would have been a much better choice. The way they looked at each other in the first part of the movie - they should have been together. Her casting was a real head-scratcher.

Anyone else think the scene with JT's car rolling over looked like a matchbox car rolling down a pile of gravel? My wife and I started laughing. I'm thinking of picking up the DVD version and watching on a smaller screen - I can't help but think the blu-ray/1080p on a large screen really exposes poor CGI.
post #23 of 32 Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 PM
CIH USER

Hoping to pick this up next week

Frank

post #24 of 32 Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I really liked this movie. Concept was totally unique, which is something that can't be said of most sci-fi movies. True there may have been some 'holes' in the logic but really it is SCI-FI and therefore "made-up" by definition and so some 'holes' are to be expected. I thought for the most part the casting was very good and unlike a lot of sci-fi with an original premise, this one actually had a story within rather than rely on the unusual future-isque aspect and special effects to carry it along. Whether I find the actors themselves attractive has nothing to do with my enjoyment of any film... I can go to the mall if I want to find some attractive people to watch. This was a slick production and some might even find an underlying message that speaks to the class warfare of today. The true test of a good film for me is if I didn't notice the time passing... if I glance at the clock even once during a movie then it failed to fully absorb my consciousness for the whole time. I never once thought about the time as we watched this movie... so yes, I liked it. I will probably purchase it for my collection.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

post #25 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 AM
CIH USER

I'm going to watch this as I had a free voucher to rent this for tonight, so J. Edgar will be pushed back till Wednesday night. I've read different reviews where some have liked it and some have not but watching the trailer this movie still has me curious.

Frank

post #26 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
CIH USER

I really enjoyed this film it wasn't too bad at all. Once it gets down to a descent price I will buy it.

Frank

post #27 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Very cool concept.. think they could have done so much with this movie.. the chemistry between jt and the girl was horrible and the cute little jokes they had were so cheesy... great movie til Jt's mom dies then it drastically falls off 2.9 out of 5*
post #28 of 32 Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I Thought This was A pretty good flick with an interesting & well executed plot, not to far from western democracies of today in many ways ..
post #29 of 32 Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 AM
CIH USER

picked this up for $10 today on blu ray

Frank

post #30 of 32 Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 AM

Liked: 29
By far one of the worst movies I've seen the last few years. Much like Battle LA, I could not finish it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
In Time Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page