Feature running time: 121 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain, Shea Whigham, Katy Mixon, Kathy Baker
Written & Directed by: Jeff Nichols
Music by: David Wingo
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 14, 2012

"Am I the only one that sees it coming?"

Film Synopsis:

Curtis LaForche lives in a small town in Ohio with his wife, Samantha, and daughter, Hannah. When Curtis begins to have terrifying dreams, he keeps the visions to himself, channeling his anxiety into obsessively building a storm shelter in his backyard. His seemingly inexplicable behavior concerns and confounds those closest to him, but the resulting strain on his marriage and tension within his community can’t compare with Curtis’s privately held fear of what his dreams may truly signify.

My Take:

Curtis LaForche and his wife Samantha live in a small Ohio town with their six-year-old daughter Hannah, who is deaf. Curtis makes a modest living as a crew chief for a sand-mining company. Samantha is a stay-at-home mother and part-time seamstress who supplement’s their income by selling handmade wares at the flea market each weekend. Money is tight, and navigating Hannah's healthcare and special needs education is a constant struggle. Despite that, Curtis and Samantha are very much in love and their family is a happy one. Then Curtis begins having terrifying and sometime violent dreams about an encroaching, apocalyptic storm. He chooses to keep the foreboding sense of dread which has begun manifesting itself in visions/hallucinations while he is awake to himself. He begins channeling his time/anxiety as well as money into the obsessive building out of a storm shelter in their backyard. His seemingly inexplicable behavior concerns and confounds Samantha, and provokes intolerance among co-workers, friends and neighbors. Faced with the proposition that his disturbing visions signal disaster of one kind or another, Curtis confides in Samantha, testing the power of their bond against the highest possible stakes.

I saw the trailer for Take shelter on another disc that I had in for review and thought it looked intriguing. Michael Shannon’s acting abilities are tailor made for the character of Curtis, an everyman who wakes up to find that his seemingly normal life/existence is no longer within his control as he is being driven to act by forces that cause him to question his sanity. For writer/director Jeff Nichols this film comes from a personal perspective and teeters between elements of drama and psychological thriller. Its focus and character base are narrow which allows for a viably rich connection to the parameters that make up the story’s foundation. This includes the interpersonal relationships and the escalating events experienced by Curtis which fuel his actions. The pacing is slow and purposefully deliberate (the film doesn’t drag). I had a sense where it was going but it kept me wondering. There is an enriching and compelling element to the drama that is sustained through the wonderfully nuanced performances by Michael Shannon and my girl Jessica Chastain. When the final act rolled around I was fully committed and eager to see where the journey would end. Was Curtis insane/clairvoyant/both? I didn’t find the ending wholly satisfying but it fit perfectly within the story’s thematic tone. The end result is a quietly involving and rewarding film that is truly the total sum of its parts.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Take shelter comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate 3 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation from Sony. Image depth during the brighter sequences is appreciable from nearly every camera perspective. Objects within backgrounds have definable structure/texture which makes them appear very lifelike and three dimensional. The video is crisp with natural looking, well balanced colors that give it a transparent and lustrous quality. Shadow detail is strong which enhances depth during dark segments that contain limited light. Blacks are deep, dynamic and stable which adds punch to sequences containing both light and dark elements. Contrast is strong which delivers bright punchy whites and vivid primary colors. Fleshtones are creamy and lifelike. Resolution during a few of the darkened sequences softens a bit but not to a point where I found it to be problematic. I thought that at times this video presentation looked stunning and exhibited quality that is as good as I have seen on Blu-ray.

The is a deceptively good DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that features crystal clear dialogue, powerful dynamics and a subtle, yet strong surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created a realistic and occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with film’s music, and source material, to build tension and help drive the story. Be sure to turn this one up.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by Jeff Nichols & Michael Shannon

• (HD) Behind the scenes of Take shelter – 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Q&A with Michael Shannon & Shea Whigham – 19 minutes

• (HD) 2 deleted scenes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Taken directly from the mind (and heart) of writer/director Jeff Nichols Take shelter is a slow simmering and thoughtful film with enriching elements that speak to the human condition while purposefully engaging us with thrilling aspects that loom in the balance. Stars Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain deliver compelling performances that genuinely compliment the subject matter. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in a technically strong offering that features reference quality video and crystal clear lossless sound. The supplemental material is essentially middle of the road but worth checking out if you enjoyed the film. If you’re in the mood for well crafted and wonderfully enacted drama I highly recommend Take shelter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is Jessica Chastain in every movie now? I like her nontheless.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Thanks Ralph...

This movie looks like it is right up my alley...added to the Queue.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Is Jessica Chastain in every movie now? I like her nontheless.

Greetings,

It seems she is quite busy of late. Fine by me...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Just saw the trailer and will have to give this one a try. This movie has some sort of a Alfred Hitchcock'ish feel to it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
I have been waiting in anticipation of this film since I first read about it in Maxim or some other magazine .. thanks for confirming what I thought, Ralph ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Thanks for the review Ralph. I saw the trailer for this the other day and looked very interesting.I'll have to wait unit it hits here in Australia to rent.

Frank
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've been wanting to see this damn movie for soooooooooooo long now! Glad to read the BR's got great audio and visual presentation! Thanks Ralph!!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I hadn't heard of this movie. I will definitely check it out! Thanks for the review, Ralph!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
great movie.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I had totally forgotten about this film after reading a blurb about it a while back...

First of all, great review Ralph!

Second, you have here one of the best actors that many people have never heard of...Michael Shannon. He's fantastic, and I expect even higher profile projects from him in the future. Most notably, he will be playing General Zod in the Superman reboot next year...I can already see him stealing the show with that role.

Of course, Jessica Chastain is also another fantastic actress, but since she's like the female version of Nicholas Cage in terms of being in every movie, people probably already know who she is lol. But like Ralph said, that's perfectly fine...she's not only easy on the eyes, but she can really bring a character to life.

I cant' wait to see this one!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I watched it last night and I felt "ripped off". The performances by Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain, were very good, and I suppose if you're looking for 2hrs of slow drama this movie will be for you, but I was hoping for more in the end.
Perhaps my hopes were too high...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 PM

If you feel cheated or ripped by the movie, then I encourage you to watch it again and pay very close attention to the sequence of events and the meaning of the dreams. In light of what you notice, pay special attention to the scene which occurs immediately before the last one. The movie did not end with a "curve ball.". The ending was perfect when you consider it metaphorically. This is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post

If you feel cheated or ripped by the movie, then I encourage you to watch it again and pay very close attention to the sequence of events and the meaning of the dreams. In light of what you notice, pay special attention to the scene which occurs immediately before the last one. The movie did not end with a "curve ball.". The ending was perfect when you consider it metaphorically. This is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I thought the ending was great also! I'm wondering which scene it is exactly that you are referring to.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Is it when they mention about how they always go to Myrtle Beach every summer?

I'm maybe missing something but what is it in particular that stands out about that scene to you? I'm asking because I just sent the movie back.

Thanks

EDIT : Actually just thinking about it now, actually a little bit earlier in the movie, I think you're referring to the scene where...

Spoiler  
It's where Micheal Shannon's character goes into the road to save his daughter, and soon after that, that flock of birds comes flying down from the sky and flies within inches of them both right? That's gotta be what you're referring to, and if you think about that, and how it pertains to the ending of the movie, that's pretty ominous.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post

I never posted that the movie ended with a "curve ball". I just don't feel it totally completed what it started. I see what they were trying to do but I would have done it differently after waiting for 2 hours...that's all, and I will watch it again as my wife wants to see it and I've already bought it . I'm glad you liked it though.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

I never posted that the movie ended with a "curve ball". I just don't feel it totally completed what it started. I see what they were trying to do but I would have done it differently after waiting for 2 hours...that's all, and I will watch it again as my wife wants to see it and I've already bought it . I'm glad you liked it though.

Not to start anything but how would you have ended it?

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Not to start anything but how would you have ended it?

I'll post it after I watch it again tonight and I learn how to do spoiler tags again.
I use them so seldom..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched it again last night, everyone struggled with it, as my son and his wife watched it too, because it was so slow, then:
Spoiler  
In the end I thought they left to get back to the shelter, in which case with that last lighting crack I would have used just the audio of the storm building and three quick scenes:
1) one of them driving just ahead of the storm
2) silhouettes of them struggling to get in the shelter
3) a close up of Michael Shannon's eyes right before he closes the door, with a knowing look, then the door closes as the audio for the storm rises.
Credits fade in and out over the static shot of the shelter and the only audio is that of the storm and maybe a distant scream.
But, if they died as my wife believed, then it's all moot, but I still would feel cheated for them not giving us a little bit of the storm, after waiting for 2hrs through all the very slow build up.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 AM
CIH USER

Just ordered this movie on Amazon cannot get where I live.

Frank
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
This is one of my favorite movies from last year and is good to watch with a group of people...everyone has a different way of seeing it. smile.gif
Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM
CIH USER

Finally received my copy will get a chance to watch tonight

Frank
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Great! Be sure to post back with your thoights Frank. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. That took awhile for you to get it Frank. Some things are worth the wait and this movie is definitely 1 of em!

I'm glad to see Michael Shannon getting so much good work lately. He's become 1 of my favorite actors over the years! biggrin.gif

I just love it when he gets all PO'd and worked up and starts yelling and all that. biggrin.gif

He's like a volcano waiting to erupt, and when he does it's entertaining to watch. 1 of my favorite roles of him was in Revolutionary Road. He stole every scene he was in. Which is saying alot since Leo was in it.

I can't wait to see Michael Shannon as Zod!

He seems perfect for that role.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 02-09-2013, 03:22 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Wow. That took awhile for you to get it Frank. Some things are worth the wait and this movie is definitely 1 of em!

I'm glad to see Michael Shannon getting so much good work lately. He's become 1 of my favorite actors over the years! biggrin.gif

I just love it when he gets all PO'd and worked up and starts yelling and all that. biggrin.gif

He's like a volcano waiting to erupt, and when he does it's entertaining to watch. 1 of my favorite roles of him was in Revolutionary Road. He stole every scene he was in. Which is saying alot since Leo was in it.

I can't wait to see Michael Shannon as Zod!

He seems perfect for that role.

Hi yadfgp

I really enjoyed this film and definitely was worth the wait. Michael Shannon did an excellent job in this film and I will have to look out for Revolutionary Road. Surprised I've never heard of it as I don't mind Leo as an actor so I will definitely have a look out for it.

Frank
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 AM
CIH USER

I thought the ending was fine but was I right in thinking
he wasnt there at the beach as that had to be a dream because his wife looked at her hands and it rained the motor oil?

Frank
Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought the ending was fine but was I right in thinking

I am on board with how you see it Franin but a couple of my friends see it the other way...

This is the fun part...after watching the movie is he dreaming/delusional at the end and his family is there to support him or is this reality and he is a prophet and his family realize that he isn't crazy and they all die in the storm
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

I am on board with how you see it Franin but a couple of my friends see it the other way...

This is the fun part...after watching the movie is he dreaming/delusional at the end and his family is there to support him or is this reality and he is a prophet and his family realize that he isn't crazy and they all die in the storm
I can see why people would want it to go that way laugsbach I guess we all wanted to believe he wasn't crazy and he was right all along.

Frank
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Hi Ralph! this indeed was mighty fine film making and I'm glad I took your advice and turned it up (sleeper stellar sound track), Wow just a plain honest to goodness movie!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 PM

Is this the only edition of a Bluray for this movie??? I mean come on! We are in the American continent! French and not Spanish?! WTF! Either way it can't be shipped outside the US! And doesn't have Spanish subtitles! Come on Sony! I'm gonna have to get a pirated version! You can even find it with Spanish subtitles! **** Sony! And this edition!

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Take Shelter Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Take by PriceGrabber.com