post #91 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Did I expect too much from this movie? I thought it was too long, and the middle part of the film was very drawn out. It looked great and the sound was good but thats about it.

Nope. It was a snoozefest.

Kaboom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCanadaEh View Post

I loved it, I don't really understand what the too boring, too long, etc. comments are about.

I was worried going into it because I have been so looking forward to this movie, but find myself falling asleep a lot to movies I find too slow lately. Did not have that problem with this movie at all. I was captivated from start to finish.

The atmosphere was just amazing, even if the story was slow at times I just found myself enjoying the music and scenery. My girlfriend really enjoyed it too.

But truthfully I didn't even find myself bored at all. I thought it was an excellent old school magical story.

Not enough explosions and loud noises for some peoples attention spans I guess.

Your last sentence couldn't be more incorrect for me and I still thought this movie was a dog.

I don't need explosions, noise and action to like a movie. But I also don't need an overdrawn, uninteresting story about characters that I don't care about and one (Station Inspector) that comes off as annoying instead of their intended "feel sorry for me" storyline.

For me, this movie looks and sounds great but falls flat in the most important categories.
post #93 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Any film that is over 2 hours (IMO), is handicapped. I look forward to seeing this in 2D.

I am somewhat reluctant to deal with movies significantly over two hours long if I know I have to watch them in one sitting--like in a movie theater--but that to me is the beauty of Blu Ray, if I can't devote the time needed for 2 1/2 hours, 3 hours, or even more, I can still enjoy a great movie. Having said that, I don't really feel Hugo was so much over two hours to make it what I consider a long movie--but everyone's concept of time--and pace--is different.

Bob

post #94 of 123 Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This movie was absolutely gorgeous in both picture and sound, plus a good story with extremely enjoyable performances. I will own it soon.
Thanks!
post #95 of 123 Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

This movie was absolutely gorgeous in both picture and sound, plus a good story with extremely enjoyable performances. I will own it soon.
Thanks!

Watched it tonight and totally agree. I'm glad I bought this on a blind buy.

Frank
post #96 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Great movie, excellent PQ, very good sound, except for the low end which was nonexistent for some odd reason (there was basically nothing in the train crash sequence or any scene really where you would have expected it). Watched in 2d which was all I could get through Netflix, but hope I can borrow a copy of the 3d version at some point and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

As stated in the Blu-ray forum review, there is an abundance of cross talk in the 3D BD version. otherwise, beautiful to watch and a great story.
Still, it is a very worthwhile 3D movie to own, despite the crosstalk/ghosting issue.

That is your displays fault, not the disc. Ghosting is a display and/or glasses issue.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #97 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Great movie, excellent PQ, very good sound, except for the low end which was nonexistent for some odd reason (there was basically nothing in the train crash sequence or any scene really where you would have expected it). Watched in 2d which was all I could get through Netflix, but hope I can borrow a copy of the 3d version at some point and check it out.

That is your displays fault, not the disc. Ghosting is a display and/or glasses issue.

#1Huh? You didn't even see it on BD but on Netflix so how can you speak about the sound being nonexistent on the low end? #2 You haven't seen it in 3D as yet reading your post. The cross talk may relate to the hardware, the software, the content or a combination. Front projection owners seem to report less, plasma TVs present less crosstalk this is true. However, I have many 3D Blu Ray movies that exhibit no cross talk and a few that do. Why don't you report back after you see it in 3D and relay your experience.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #98 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

#1Huh? You didn't even see it on BD but on Netflix so how can you speak about the sound being nonexistent on the low end? #2 You haven't seen it in 3D as yet reading your post. The cross talk may relate to the hardware, the software, the content or a combination. Front projection owners seem to report less, plasma TVs present less crosstalk this is true. However, I have many 3D Blu Ray movies that exhibit no cross talk and a few that do. Why don't you report back after you see it in 3D and relay your experience.

I watched the BD which was a Netflix rental.

Do your homework on ghosting/crosstalk and you will understand why I dont have to even see this particular disc to know the ghosting is hardware related. Hell, just take any of your ghost heavy discs/scenes and view them on a DLP and report back on what happens with the ghosting

post #99 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched the BD which was a Netflix rental.

Do your homework on ghosting/crosstalk and you will understand why I dont have to even see this particular disc to know the ghosting is hardware related. Hell, just take any of your ghost heavy discs/scenes and view them on a DLP and report back on what happens with the ghosting

DLP Rear Projection as in Mitsubishi or DLP front projection? I know no one who owns one of those RP beasts. What sound system do you have for your HT?

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #100 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I will agree Xtalk is mostly hardware related, however. Still it's curious why some 3D has zero whereas other 3D films have more.

post #101 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DLP Rear Projection as in Mitsubishi or DLP front projection? I know no one who owns one of those RP beasts. What sound system do you have for your HT?

Either one will work. The only way you will get ghosting with single chip DLP is if the glasses are out of sync which can be fixed.

I am running with 4 SVS subs (3 PB13s' and a 12/2 Ultra), dual buttkickers, 6 JBL S-38s/ s-center, Onkyo 885/Sherborn 7/2100 amp and Oppo 93.

I thought Hugo sounded excellent, but the low end was noticeably lacking which I am assuming was an artistic decision which was a bit too conservative IMO.

post #102 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well your sound system is quite a bit better than mine! I have a modest 7.2 Sony STR-DH820 receiver with 2 subs. As far as the X talk, I never mind learning something.

post #103 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As far as the X talk, I never mind learning something.

I agree! This is one area that I have a very firm opinion on, but it is only after considering both sides as far as everything I have experienced with my own 2 3d displays, a friends single chip DLP that I have watched/tested countless times now, various flat panels of different display tech and all the reading I have done on the subject in the past year and a half. I seem to learn something almost every time I am on this forum which is what makes this hobby so fun. There are some great threads going on right now in the projector forum if you are interested as far as crosstalk goes. Shoot me a PM if you want and I can give you some links.......we should quit cluttering up Ralph's thread........sorry Ralph!

post #104 of 123 Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:

we should quit cluttering up Ralph's thread........sorry Ralph!

Greetings,

No problem Todd..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #105 of 123 Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

Agreed.

Also, IMO this movie was very well made. None of that jerky handheld camera work here. The shots that had camera movement were nice & smooth.
post #106 of 123 Old 03-09-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I thought Hugo sounded excellent, but the low end was noticeably lacking which I am assuming was an artistic decision which was a bit too conservative IMO.

Agreed. I thought the scenes with the trains should have had more LFE. But it was still a very good sound track and the better half really liked the Howard Shore music.
post #107 of 123 Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

It's heeerrrreee!

Now to find time to check it out. The wife wanted to see Band of Brothers tonight so Hugo got put off.

Wife wanted to see Band of Brothers = trophy wife
post #108 of 123 Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Have to add my voice as one who saw this in 3D at the cinema and also pre-ordered the 3D blu-ray.
I would have cancelled the blu-ray after watching the movie but was too late - it had already shipped.

All I'll say is - very disappointing. A flimsy storyline. Couldn't seem to decide if it was a children's movie or an 'homage' to silent film. Annoying Sasha Baron Cohen character.

The 3D image on my system exhibited severe crosstalk in many scenes.
post #109 of 123 Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Wife and I watched Hugo 3D tonight, and we loved the movie. I thought the story was brilliant, it was refreshing to have such a well told story. I have an Acer 9500 projector (DLP) and there was zero crosstalk/ghosting. DLP front projection is definitely the way to go for 3D front projection if you are sensitive to ghosting.

Loved the movie. LFE was a little disappointing, but aside from that, I cannot wait to watch it again! Definitely the best use of 3D to date for me.
post #110 of 123 Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Wife and I watched Hugo 3D tonight, and we loved the movie. I thought the story was brilliant, it was refreshing to have such a well told story. I have an Acer 9500 projector (DLP) and there was zero crosstalk/ghosting. DLP front projection is definitely the way to go for 3D front projection if you are sensitive to ghosting.

Loved the movie. LFE was a little disappointing, but aside from that, I cannot wait to watch it again! Definitely the best use of 3D to date for me.

This film has sucha mixed bag of reviews! Some people loved the story and some thought it was eh (me :< ). Saw it in 3d and wasn't impressed. Thought prometheus looked better in 3d imho. Oddly enough...I still bought the film in 3d lol

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #111 of 123 Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

This film has sucha mixed bag of reviews! Some people loved the story and some thought it was eh (me :< ). Saw it in 3d and wasn't impressed. Thought prometheus looked better in 3d imho. Oddly enough...I still bought the film in 3d lol
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Oh my, I saw Prometheus 3D and was underwhelmed. I admire Ridley Scott and was just slightly disappointed that he didn't have the stereographer's eye that James Cameron has. It seemed so flat.

post #112 of 123 Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Oh my, I saw Prometheus 3D and was underwhelmed. I admire Ridley Scott and was just slightly disappointed that he didn't have the stereographer's eye that James Cameron has. It seemed so flat.

Call me crazy but I actually liked the 3D in Prometheus over Avatar:D Saw Prometheus in one of the best IMAX theaters in the area. On the other hand I saw Avatar in a theater with the Dolby 3D setup.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #113 of 123 Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Call me crazy but I actually liked the 3D in Prometheus over Avatar:D Saw Prometheus in one of the best IMAX theaters in the area. On the other hand I saw Avatar in a theater with the Dolby 3D setup.
That is CRAZY tongue.gif !!! I saw Avatar in a RealD auditorium at my multiplex and it was stunning and very immersive. I saw Prometheus in a similar auditorium in RealD. I have read that Imax 3D has more "pop" but having seen fake 3D Thor in a midget IMAX, I have become very disenchanted with the new digital IMAX theaters. Small and not worth the premium double charge for 3D and the small letter boxed image on a not much larger than average screen. IMAX in my Rave Motion Pictures multiples is 35' tall. Give me the 8 story high IMAX in Manhattan any day. That being said, seeing Prometheus in RealD was not very immersive. As a movie, it had the quality Ridley Scott touch. I just was let down by the 3D or lack of.

post #114 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 AM

This movie is loaded with crosstalk. For the people claiming it is hardware related...why is it much worse than my other 3d movies? I mean, I watch Transformers Dark of The Moon, Resident Evil Afterlife, Puss n Boots, and none of those movies have bad crosstalk...yet I watch this and it's rampant, but somehow this is hardware related? I actually started thinking something was wrong with my tv the 3d was so bad. It is beautiful and immersive but the x talk is pretty glaring and distracting. For what it's worth I am viewing this on a 2012 Panasonic Plasma ut50 via PS3. I saw a couple of instances where there could have been pop out but it didn't quite work. Can anyone explain how some of my 3d movies look stellar yet the supposed new 'benchmark' looks like crap?
post #115 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

This movie is loaded with crosstalk. For the people claiming it is hardware related...why is it much worse than my other 3d movies? I mean, I watch Transformers Dark of The Moon, Resident Evil Afterlife, Puss n Boots, and none of those movies have bad crosstalk...yet I watch this and it's rampant, but somehow this is hardware related? I actually started thinking something was wrong with my tv the 3d was so bad. It is beautiful and immersive but the x talk is pretty glaring and distracting. For what it's worth I am viewing this on a 2012 Panasonic Plasma ut50 via PS3. I saw a couple of instances where there could have been pop out but it didn't quite work. Can anyone explain how some of my 3d movies look stellar yet the supposed new 'benchmark' looks like crap?
I agree with you completely and Blu-ray.com agrees:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hugo-3D-Blu-ray/35630/

I own over 20 BD 3D movies and HUGO 3D, however beautiful it is,is the worst regarding X talk. "Pop-Out" was fine, however, from snow falling, dust in the air, to the letters found in the cabinet of Georges Melies. My Sony 55HX729 displays minimal to no X talk otherwise.

post #116 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM

On another thread someone mentioned that it was due to how it was filmed, with high contrast 3d scenes and that active shudder fails to do it properly. I would like to believe that because everyone who saw it in theaters was impressed with 3d and those that have dlp as well So maybe it IS the disc but also our displays to some degree frown.gif
post #117 of 123 Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

On another thread someone mentioned that it was due to how it was filmed, with high contrast 3d scenes and that active shudder fails to do it properly. I would like to believe that because everyone who saw it in theaters was impressed with 3d and those that have dlp as well So maybe it IS the disc but also our displays to some degree frown.gif
I agree. However, those who did the BD transfer should have taken into account that MOST 3D hardware is active shutter. With the exception of LG/Visio passive hardware, the majority of 3D hardware is active. For a $55 retail (really, no one pays that), the transfer should have not turned out like this. AVATAR still remains the best 3D home video experience thus far for me.

post #118 of 123 Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I agree. However, those who did the BD transfer should have taken into account that MOST 3D hardware is active shutter. With the exception of LG/Visio passive hardware, the majority of 3D hardware is active. For a $55 retail (really, no one pays that), the transfer should have not turned out like this. AVATAR still remains the best 3D home video experience thus far for me.
I helped a friend install their new Sony Bravia KDL-55HX850 and there was nearly NO crosstalk in Hugo (during the automaton close-ups). My 2011 KDL-55HX729 does exhibit crosstalk in HUGO so it seemed that Sony tweaked their hardware. Happily, I have little or no X talk in most of my movies but it's nice to see an active 3D system handle HUGO without a problem.

post #119 of 123 Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 PM

This movie is an absolute masterpiece. I haven't seen it in 2D, but it certainly deserves all the critical acclaim its gotten on the story/ picture alone. Now watching it in 3D is perfect. I own about 10 3D movies and nothing comes close. The realism, clarity and depth has not been surpassed. Even James Cameron (Avatar) says it is the best 3D movie ever created. It will make your jaws drop. It is seamless and not gimmicky at all. This is definitely setting the benchmark and is reference material for all future 3D movies. 100 out of 100!
post #120 of 123 Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie75 View Post

This movie is an absolute masterpiece. I haven't seen it in 2D, but it certainly deserves all the critical acclaim its gotten on the story/ picture alone. Now watching it in 3D is perfect. I own about 10 3D movies and nothing comes close. The realism, clarity and depth has not been surpassed. Even James Cameron (Avatar) says it is the best 3D movie ever created. It will make your jaws drop. It is seamless and not gimmicky at all. This is definitely setting the benchmark and is reference material for all future 3D movies. 100 out of 100!
What display are you using? It is a gorgeous movie; I would place Avatar on the same level with respect to perfectly thought-out 3D. I do agree that Hugo is a masterpiece.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Hugo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Hugo Blu Ray 3d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page