Hugo 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 123 Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well, after hearing talk about Hugo as a love letter to early cinema - and not having heard much more than that - I watched it for free on Amazon Prime tonight through my 2D projector (which throws an image 9 1/2 feet wide) in Amazon's 720p and 5.1 Dolby Digital to see if I liked it enough to buy it to have it in 1080p and DTS MA. (I often audition films this way and end up buying the Blu-ray. Renting them effectively increases their ultimate price, while there's no incremental cost this way.)

This is definitely on my buy list - it's a sweet film with a good heart that doesn't neglect packing in plenty of visual WOW.

I'm as big a fan of sci-fi and superhero films as the next guy, but I also like a well made "chick flick" - I've watched Groundhog Day and Stranger than Fiction god knows how many times!

And give it a rest with the "two hours" complaint - no modern film comes in at an hour and a half unless its a comedy. All dramatic films are two hours or more in length.

If two hours is too long for you, stay away from the extended editions of the Lord of The Rings films, which average four hours long apiece, and each takes two disks for the main feature!

Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Well, after hearing talk about Hugo as a love letter to early cinema - and not having heard much more than that - I watched it for free on Amazon Prime tonight through my 2D projector (which throws an image 9 1/2 feet wide) in 720p and 5.1 Dolby Digital to see if I liked it enough to buy it. (I often audition films this way and end up buying the Blu-ray. Renting them effectively increases their ultimate price, while there's no incremental cost this way.)
This is definitely on my buy list - it's a sweet film with a good heart that doesn't neglect packing in plenty of visual WOW.
I'm as big a fan of sci-fi and superhero films as the next guy, but I also like a well made "chick flick" - I've watched Groundhog Day and Stranger than Fiction god knows how many times!
And give it a rest with the "two hours" complaint - no modern film comes in at an hour and a half unless its a comedy. All dramatic films are two hours or more in length.
If two hours is too long for you, stay away from the extended editions of the Lord of The Rings films, which average four hours long apiece, and each takes two disks for the main feature!
Phil

Greetings,

Great stuff Phil. Thanks for sharing... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #123 of 123 Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Call me crazy but I actually liked the 3D in Prometheus over Avatar:D Saw Prometheus in one of the best IMAX theaters in the area. On the other hand I saw Avatar in a theater with the Dolby 3D setup.

Oh, how funny! I was just noting in the Prometheus thread how well done I thought it was. It worked very well for a home theater viewing anyway in my setup. Less of what might be the ‘pop out’ effect? Not sure that is the correct use of that, but less of the in your face stuff and more utilization of the depth that can be attained.

I just watched Hugo again a bit this evening after finding a few new tweaks in my new gear for 3D. I’m leaning toward questioning if my glasses weren’t fully charged enough the first go around? I saw that mentioned somewhere as a potential issue and even though they still weren’t ‘fully charged’ – the movie seemed to have less of the crosstalk effect for me this evening. No bs. I didn’t finish it all again this evening; too tired, but I was well over halfway through it.

I personally like the movie. It doesn’t have to be about action and sound effects for me I guess. I was interested to see the interiors shot digitally on my new plasma too. I thought it was visually stunning and the story was relatable and meaningful. I’ve contemplated making a documentary of my life (I know that sounds super narcissistic lol, but I believe I have a pretty compelling story to document).

Anyway, so, I enjoyed the moviemaking storyline. It was actually featured in one of my HD VideoPro magazines as well – so, that additionally had me enthused to check it out. I missed it in the theaters unfortunately. So, a special treat to be able to watch it in 3D at home.

That kid is remarkable in it! I saw him referenced in the extra features as being a pretty incredible little actor and he sure is. I’ve been taking notice of Chloe as an up and coming actress too. I love to see them come up and follow their careers when they’ve got talent like that. Chloe is one to watch for sure. Should be interesting to see what happens with her.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Hugo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Hugo Blu Ray 3d

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page