Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 126 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Asa Butterfield, Chloe Grace Moretz, Sacha Baron Cohen, Ben Kinglesy, Ray Winstone, Christopher Lee, Emily Mortimer, Jude Law
Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Music by: Howard Shore
Written by: John Logan based on the book “The invention of Hugo Cabret” by Brian Selznick
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 28, 2012

"Films have the power to capture dreams"

Film Synopsis:

Welcome to a magical world of spectacular adventure! When wily and resourceful Hugo discovers a secret left by his father, he unlocks a mystery and embarks on a quest that will transform those around him and lead to a safe and loving place he can call home.

My Take:

The teaser trailer for Hugo, which seemed to be the one that I saw most, revealed very little about it which always elicited the same reaction from me, what is Hugo about? I heard positive things about it from those that saw it but never investigated further. It arrived and I went into it knowing nothing more than the fragments I recalled from the trailer. Hugo wasn’t at all what I expected. Based on the book “The invention of Hugo Cabret” by Brian Selznick, Hugo is the story about a lonely boy trying to find his way “home” and how he helps a “lost” man by guiding him back to life. Hugo is an orphan living in the cat walks/crawl spaces/inner walls of a train station in Paris during the 1930s. Having learned from working with his father he maintains the large clocks within the station while constantly dodging the station inspector who would gladly turn him over to the local orphanage. The only remaining connection Hugo feels to his father is a rusted non-working automaton his father found in the attic of a museum which they had begun to restore. Hugo spends his days searching for food and the spare parts needed to continue with the repair. One day he encounters the owner of a toy store in the station who discovers that Hugo has been pilfering parts from his store front. He takes something very near and dear to Hugo in exchange. Desperate to get it back Hugo befriends the man’s god daughter who agrees to help him in the hopes of experiencing a bit of adventure in the process. Together they make several discoveries the most astounding of which is a link to the mysterious automaton that bridges not only the past but Hugo’s future was well.

This is a wonderful dramatic film that like the book is in part an homage to the early days of cinema, specifically the work of George Melies, as well as the timeless portrayal of rediscovery with the help of and seen through the eyes of children. I wouldn’t describe Hugo as a children’s movie per se but its sense of adventure and fantastical world easily appeals to them. Brian Selznick’s story is built around the real events in George Melies’ life and references his spectacular work. The integration of Hugo Cabret’s story as well as his appreciation for cinema as an art form compliments the proceedings nicely. The film captures this beautifully and makes for a fitting and moving tribute while providing a magically entertaining and visually arresting theatrical experience. The character of Hugo anchors the story and Asa Butterfield does a terrific job in the lead. The host of acting talent that support him, Chloe Grace Moretz, Sacha Baron Cohen, Ben Kinglesy, Ray Winstone, Christopher Lee, Emily Mortimer, and Jude Law are pitch perfect. Martin Scorsese takes the imaginative world created in the book and expertly translates it into a tangibly rich environ that leaves an impression. Hugo may not strike a chord with everyone, especially those expecting a “typical” fantasy/fairytale, however if you open your mind and heart you are in for an wonderfully “cinematic” experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild thematic material, some action/peril and smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Quality: 96

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Hugo 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p MVC encoded 3D video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.1 Mbps.

I have watched a variety of 3D high definition video both animated and live action. Prior to experiencing 3D in the home environment on Blu-ray, 3D wasn’t something that appealed to me. I had always found the gimmicky nature of 3D off putting and the imagery combined with the uncomfortable glasses always seemed to give me a headache. Predominantly speaking I have enjoyed its implementation on Blu-ray and the better quality releases have elevated the experience. I am pleased to report that Hugo is just such an example and ranks among the more entertaining 3D presentations that I have seen. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. I was mesmerized by the depth and realism of the three dimensional imagery. The separation of objects or people in the foreground/background is incredibly lifelike which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. This is done to superb effect. Shot in high definition 3D there is an incredibly natural sense of dimension and the use of screen popping effects never feels overtly gimmicky but rather serves to enhance the storyline. Fidelity is intact as the film’s gorgeous array of colors, defining contrast and rich blacks bring Hugo’s world to life with visually arresting results. If I had to describe the experience of watching Hugo in 3D I would describe it as natural and completely involving. I noticed some instances of ghosting here and there but it never proved overtly distracting.

The DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio soundtrack is equally impressive. This is not an in your face type of sound mix but its refined and silky smooth delivery is not to be underestimated. This film uses a complex sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is clear and well articulated so that even subtle inflectional changes in voices are perceptible. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field which establishes a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what was being heard within the room. This creates an immersive and engaging soundscape that isn’t overly aggressive but abundantly rich in detail. The sound mix delivers rich, well extended bass response that provides tactilely dynamic impact where appropriate (there is a great sequence involving a runaway train). This is a great audio presentation that accents the film while providing an enriching home theater experience.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Hugo comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mpbs.

This is a stellar high definition presentation that boasts rich, delineated primary colors, beautifully lush pastels and vibrant hues that are vivid, bold and striking in high definition. The video quality is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the film’s digitally crafted images. Objects onscreen are exquisitely detailed with a luminous and sparkling clarity that seems infinitely lucid and three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle refinement and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of train station/clocks/Paris is truly impressive and can be fully appreciated thanks to the video’s exquisite level of definition. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that uses real imagery mixed with CGI. The end result is a superlative video presentation that truly evokes the spirit and emotion of the film.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray - Hugo

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray - Hugo (plus the following bonus features) :

• (HD) Shoot the moon: The making of Hugo – 19 minute featurette

• (HD) The cinemagician George Melies – 15 minute documentary/featurette

• (HD) The mechanical man at the heart of Hugo – 12 minute featurette

• Big effects, small scale – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Sacha Baron Cohen: Role of a lifetime – 3 minute feature

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD of Hugo

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the book “The invention of Hugo Cabret” by Brian Selznick, Hugo is a grandiose and rewarding cinematic gem that has been nominated for 11 Academy Awards. It doesn’t ask but that you sit back, take it in and try to see it in the spirit from which it is intended. Martin Scorsese is such a master craftsman. Hugo comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment in this Limited Edition 3D offering that features superlative high definition audio/video including one of the more entertaining 3D presentations I have seen. The supplemental package isn’t an abundant one however what’s there is well worth watching. Hugo is also available in a two disc standard Blu-ray version for those who aren’t 3D ready. Either way you’re in for a treat. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review... my copy is due to be shipped out in about a week, so very much looking forward to seeing it after reading this!

oz
post #3 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to this on Blu-ray. I recently upgraded to a 3D projector and a 7.1 audio system. This one should demo those features well.

Just one correction on the "Final Thoughts" section. The author of the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret is Brian Selznick (not Zelznick).
post #4 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to this on Blu-ray. I recently upgraded to a 3D projector and a 7.1 audio system. This one should demo those features well.

Just one correction on the "Final Thoughts" section. The author of the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret is Brian Selznick (not Zelznick).

Greetings,

Got it. Thanks..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #5 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 12
Good review Ralph , as usual, you nailed it. I just watched last night and although I don`t have a 3D projector yet and had to settle for 2D I have to say it was excellent all around.
Very few movies anymore seem to have a plot line that is believable, or changes, or the movies ends horribly. Hollywood definitely has trouble telling a believable story anymore.
This movie deserves your attention if you really like movies that tell a good story and finishes that story correctly. IMHO
post #6 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Didn't see it in the theater and will be buying the 3D version on day one. Looking forward to watching it on the new Elite Thanks Ralph - another great review...
post #7 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hopefully the 3d version wont cost too much

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Hopefully the 3d version wont cost too much

The MSRP is "only" $55.00 (But you can get it cheaper! lol!)

post #9 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Definitely one the best movies i've seen and wasn't surprised by it's 11 Academy Awards.

It had all the elements to it as far as the cast, characters, story, plot and scenery. I was very intrigued when i first saw the automaton and it's inner workings and especially when it started moving.

The ending was just magnificent and how it blended beautifully all together. Definite collect.

post #10 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks Ralph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboehl View Post

Good review Ralph , as usual, you nailed it. I just watched last night and although I don`t have a 3D projector yet and had to settle for 2D I have to say it was excellent all around.
Very few movies anymore seem to have a plot line that is believable, or changes, or the movies ends horribly. Hollywood definitely has trouble telling a believable story anymore.
This movie deserves your attention if you really like movies that tell a good story and finishes that story correctly. IMHO

Humm....now I'm even more intrigued

post #11 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM

For a total imersing experience...try to catch Hugo in the theater in 3D of course!
post #12 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I would recommend this for the multiplex as well, unless you have a projector. I'm sure it's going to be lovely on your flat panel, but this is just a beautiful, beautiful film and the 3-D is really sweeping and magnificent (and I don't care for 3-D).

The review is spot on. Either way, go see this if you love movies.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #13 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've got it on order from Amazon (Feb 28 release) and can't wait to see it on my new SIM2 M150 3D LED projector. I have a feeling that films like this will keep the 3D medium alive as others seek to emulate the magical image quality.
post #14 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 141
A particular 3D disc should not be criticized for "ghosting" or any points taken away due to "ghosting". I'm not saying that this happened in Ralph's review. It is the projector or display device that is at fault. See the link below for proof. I own both a 3D DLP projector and an Epson 6010 3D LCD projector. The DLP shows no ghosting even on the toughest material such as Giants of Patagonia while the Epson shows a slight amount in a few scenes. The link I provided compares the same scene or scenes with photos among various 3D projectors -- JVC RS-45 and RS-55, Benq W7000, Epson 5010, Sony HW30 and the Acer H5360. What is noteworthy is that absolutely no ghosting is seen with the DLP projectors and little to lots with the other technologies.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1382091
post #15 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Thanks for the review Ralph looking forward in receiving this soon.

Frank

post #16 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

At the theaters now watching this!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #17 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

At the theaters now watching this!

Frank

post #18 of 123 Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the movie 2.35? a lot of the screen is cut off at this theater

post #19 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's 1.85 (1.78).

post #20 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Day one 3D purchase!
post #21 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree with all your positive comments. One of the best 3D movies to date, and one of the best films of 2011. Scorsese's skill as a movie maker and storyteller show through every frame (not to downplay the talents of all the others involved).
I was surprised, however, to find that Scorsese succumbed to the current fad for cyan colored blacks (often referred to as 'teal'). I now groan when I see this distortion of the color palette. In a few years time it will be a way to date the films made in the current era, and will appear 'quaint'. A minor quibble though in an otherwise superb film.
post #22 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Great review, Ralph--this is one I'm anxiously awaiting with my Amazon pre-order. Even though it won't be 3D, I know this will be a winner for me and my library.

Bob

post #23 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Would a 5 yr old enjoy this movie? Was thinking of purchasing this to watch with him but want to make sure he wouldn't be bored or its too much for someone his age.

I think it would look amazing on my Sammy 64D8000 but would want him to watch too. So for people that have seen it should I buy or not?
post #24 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM

I go to the theater about once every blue moon but my faith in Scorcese and the opportunity to take my granddaughters to see a 3D film that wasn't a cartoon sealed the deal. I am a huge fan of Scorcese's. He has made many classic films and Hugo is way outside his wheelhouse. But I believe Hugo will become a timeless classic that will invite many re-viewings over time. I can't say enough good things about it.

This film is an example of the finest Hollywood can produce. And although it did mediocre business in the theaters I hope it is not overlooked by the Oscar crowd like Get Low was in 2010.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #25 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Haynes View Post

Would a 5 yr old enjoy this movie? Was thinking of purchasing this to watch with him but want to make sure he wouldn't be bored or its too much for someone his age.

I think it would look amazing on my Sammy 64D8000 but would want him to watch too. So for people that have seen it should I buy or not?

Greetings,

I would say that most five year olds would be bored but it may be dependent on their level of maturity.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #26 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
well... this was a bore fest... sure, it was made nice... kept me semi-awake in the movies... the divergence of the main plot to the other character's story totally annoyed the hell out of me...
at least not as lame as immortals with only 1 worthy to watch scene (the ending)
post #27 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Sold!
post #28 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Well saw the film. I believe it was projected in 2.4 instead of 1.85. 3D to me was ok, I guess 3D isn't my thing:/. Story felt weak...trying to decide whether or not to get this on blu-ray.

post #29 of 123 Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those who don't know who George Melies is, I'd suggest NOT looking him up if you will be seeing this movie. I had never heard of him before seeing this, and I really enjoyed discovering who he was along with the characters over the course of the film.

As Ralph has pointed out, this is a great film in many other regards as well. Highly recommended!
post #30 of 123 Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Well saw the film. I believe it was projected in 2.4 instead of 1.85. 3D to me was ok, I guess 3D isn't my thing:/. Story felt weak...trying to decide whether or not to get this on blu-ray.

I think I might wait and give this a rent. I was going to blind buy it but I've been stung before.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Hugo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Hugo Blu Ray 3d

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page