Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1974
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 92 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.66:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Original English Mono, French/Japanese/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Starring: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones
Directed by: Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones
Written by: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 6, 2012

"Run Away!"

Film Synopsis:

The Monty Python team are at it again in their second movie. This time we follow King Arthur and his knights in their search for the Holy Grail. This isn't your average medieval knights and horses story - for a start, due to a shortage in the kingdom, all the horses have been replaced by servants clopping coconuts together!

My Take:

Yoiks! Here be the Python's tale of good King Arthur and his knights as they quest for the Holy Grail. They face great odds, silly sots, wage battle against the fierce Killer Rabbit and confront the dreaded Knights Who Say "Ni!" Oh, these be trying times. Can these good knights pass the test of valor and cut down yon tree with herring? Or will they blow themselves to smithereens with Holy Hand Grenades? Courage, Lancelot! Onward, Galahad!

There is little need to dissect the plot in this hilarious classic from the twisted minds of the uproarious troupe Monty Python. I first saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail on cable TV back in the late 70's early 80's and was instantly hooked. It represented my first experience with them and their particular brand of humor and it remains my favorite among their films. I love how they each play various characters and the succession of hysterical skits that parody King Arthur and the search for the Holy Grail. Along the way outlandish situations, funny bone tickling antics and pitch perfect witticisms abound as Arthur and his knights close in on the location of the Holy Grail. Holy Grail is one of those classic comedies that I can watch over again and always laugh at the same lines/parts. A few of my favorite moments: Lancelot's quest to save the prince, Bring outcha dead, The Bridge of death, Sir Robin's Minstrel, the silencing of the historian, the holy hand grenade of Antioch, the ending sequence just after King Arthur gives the attack order, all of the animated sequences. I have introduced Holy Grail to my teenagers who both enjoy it nearly as much as I do. Funny is funny. This classic film transcends generational boundaries and remains one of my personal favorites.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, comedic gore and mild thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Monty Python and the Holy Grail comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

I have owned this film in its various home video release incarnations. I am happy to report that this presentation looks marvelous by comparison. Colors are vivid with subtle tonal variation and clean rendering. The range of colors is not particularly extensive but the earth tones which are its primary source look great. Facial textures and complexions are nicely delineated with warmth and lifelike tonality. Images are well detailed over the course of the film. This isn't going to exhibit the type of razor sharp high gloss definition that we see from films today however the level of detail is complimentary. There are minor fluctuations in sharpness and detail that appear related to the original photography. Film grain is intact, and appears well preserved throughout the presentation. Blacks are stable with consistent contrast levels that draw out plenty of visible detail during light and dark segments. I found little to complain about and thoroughly enjoyed this high definition rendering from Sony.

The DTS-HD Master Audio mix presents this soundtrack's elements quite naturally. There is lots of spoken dialogue in the film but it contains a variety of sounds and music that benefit from the high resolution afforded by lossless sound. The recording sounds one dimensional and dated but refined and dynamically supported. There are moments where there is no dialogue and the only auditory used to propel the story, are the music and/or a series of sounds. They are cleanly reproduced and free from strident highs or an edgy mid range. The front soundstage is narrow but opens up nicely during several sequences. There isn't much in the way of active surround sound or deep low frequency effects but the application of supportive rear channel ambience and punchy bass adds an enriching element that enhances the presentation. It's not a perfect audio mix but I found it enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

• The Holy Book of Days Second Screen: Through a downloadable app this feature allows users via their WiFi connected/synched iPad/Blu-ray player to look behind the scenes at the shooting of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Unfortunately the iPad app is currently unavailable for download but may be on or after March 6th.

• (HD) 5 Lost animations - with introduction by Terry Gilliam

• (HD) 7 Outtakes & Extended scenes - with introduction by Terry Jones

• Audio commentary with Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones

• Audio commentary with John Cleese, Eric Idle & Michael Palin

• Quest for the Holy Grail locations with Terry Gilliam & Michael Palin - 47 minutes

• Lego Knights - 1 minute 40 second animated Lego short

• Japanese version - 2 sequences from the film dubbed in Japanese

• Coconuts - 3 minute faux feature on the important uses of the coconut

• BBC Film Night - 1974 Location Report that explores the film set and includes cast/crew interviews and behind the scenes footage

• Sing-a-longs

• (HD) Cast directory photo gallery

• (HD) U.S. 2001 release trailer

• (HD) Holy Grail Blu-ray credits

• BD-Live enabled

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=239127&d=1330715824

Final Thoughts:

For me Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a timeless, superbly quotable and classic comedy that finds the zany British troupe at the top of the game. It makes its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Sony in an excellent package that features faithful high definition video, complimentary lossless sound and a strong supplemental offering that includes Blu-ray exclusives as well previously released extras. If you're a fan this is a must have plain and simple. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for a great review. I have this pre-ordered, but because of its age and the fact that it was never a "block-buster" production, I was not expecting to see that much improvement over the DVD. Now I am even more excited and looking forward to watching it.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This is big. I've only ever seen awful third- and fourth-generation copies on VHS... it's actually hard for me to imagine what the blu-ray looks like. I am so buying this. Thanks for the review.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #4 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Must Buy .. thanks Ralph ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You must cut down the tallest tree in the forestwitha herring!

Awesome movie.
My friend's Dad took us to see it when it came out in the theaters. I was all of 10 years old and didn't get a lot of it and kept wondering why the same people were playing all the characters. Love it now though...
post #6 of 14 Old 03-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Great review, must have this classic been too long since I saw it last :/
post #7 of 14 Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I recently saw "Spamalot." Highly recommended for fans of this movie!

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Eric Idle was on Craig Ferguson's show this week, saw the Holy Grail BD and tossed it on the floor. "Oh they're reissuing Holy Grail again."

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #9 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 AM

Liked: 13
I was hoping you got to review this. Read alot of good things, but needed the ultimate review. Thx Ralph.

post #10 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM

"King are ya'? I didn't vote for ya'!"

I was Executive Producer on a film featuring Terry Jones. We met at his house in London (very modest home in a nice working class area) worked on a script and I got him to sign my MP DVD's. He is absolutely a non-Hollywood type of guy. In fact I would describe him as a history scholar with a somewhat twisted sense of humor and an incredible writer. How funny? Well, I got the atomic 'she-at's' in Cairo, and by the time we got to Luxor, he had me quoting lines from 'Holy Grail' and 'The Life of Brian' and laughing so hard it damn near resulted in a fairly high number of 'personal hygiene' moments along the beautiful Nile River. We still exchange emails from time to time. What a great guy...Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life!

JSJS
post #11 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

I was hoping you got to review this. Read alot of good things, but needed the ultimate review. Thx Ralph.

Greetings,

You're very welcome hakstone..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #12 of 14 Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Thanks to Ralph for his review. My copy is due to be delivered from Amazon tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to getting it. As Ralph and other posters have already observed, This film is filled with more excruciatingly funny scenes and quotable lines than about any other 6 comedies combined.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Now the quoting will begin again.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Because I have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail a zillion times, at least, I haven't yet watched the actual film on my newly acquired. BD. I have however listened to the commentary by John Cleese, Eric Idle, and Michael Palin, which is a lot of fun. Really glad I have this disc.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Monty Python And The Holy Grail Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Monty by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page