Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 93 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Patrick Wilson, Elizabeth Reaser
Directed by: Jason Reitman
Music by: Rolfe Kent
Written by: Diablo Cody
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 13, 2012

"Everyone gets old. Not everyone grows up"

Film Synopsis:

Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron stars as Mavis Gary, a 37-year-old former prom queen, and current writer of young adult novels, who returns home to relive her glory days and win back her now-married high school sweetheart. When she finds her homecoming more challenging than expected, Mavis forms an unusual bond with a former classmate and both must face the harsh realities of growing up.

My Take:

Mavis Gary is divorced and currently dealing with the harsh reality of a dwindling writing career and a life that she has little to show for. She is emotionally stunted, sullen and utterly dissatisfied with what would appear to be every aspect of her existence. When she receives a group e-mail message with the birth announcement of the child of her high school sweetheart Buddy Slade and his wife Beth she has an epiphany. She decides to return to her home town, win Buddy back and reclaim the time in her life when she was at her best. What Mavis discovers upon her return is that the people back home including Buddy, aren't frozen in time and are enjoying productive lives. If she is to release him from the domestic prison from which he is unwittingly serving she'll have to wheedle/beguile where necessary. Unfortunately Mavis' plan and behavior leaves much to be desired through the eyes of everyone she encounters, save for an unexpected kinship with the last person in town she would expect it from.

I have been a fan of the Diablo Cody (writer) Jason Reitman (director) tandem since Juno and looked forward to seeing Young Adult. Diablo Cody's characters tend to be earthy, complex and derived from what seem like people you could easily either know or run across while shopping at the local mall. This is a kind of darkly comedic and saturnine story about a disconsolate woman who looks for solace by returning to her home town in an attempt to rekindle the point in her life when she last felt happy. Mavis is unlikable and unsympathetic by design but there is something rewarding found in her frothy demeanor and repulsive candor. Character development is strong, especially in the case of Mavis and Matt played extremely well by the always solid Charlize Theron and Patton Oswalt. Uncomfortable situations and biting humor abound in this character driven contemporary drama that paints a vivid human portrait with an emotional center. It's a bitter pill that is worth swallowing.

Parental Guide:

The rating is language, thematic material and some sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Young adult comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3 Mbps.

This is a great looking high definition presentation from Paramount. Detail is exemplary as images look clean, sharp, three dimensional and lifelike. I never felt that video was lacking in terms of depth or the perception of visible detail within the structure of objects or people onscreen. Colors are cleanly reproduced with satisfying primaries and pleasing secondary hues. Fleshtones appear natural with complexional variation and subtle texture that varied among the differing skin types of the cast members. Blacks are gradational, fairly deep and exhibit ample dynamic range. Images are pristinely rendered and appear free of compression related artifacts.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack had no trouble rendering clear and well articulated dialogue. Sound effects had ample dynamic energy so that they sounded full bodied and aurally satisfying. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere from time to time. Low frequency detail is sparingly used to add depth to the film's music.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by director Jason Reitman, director of photography Eric Steelberg and assistant director/associate producer Jason Blumenfeld

• (HD) Misery loves company: The making of Young Adult - 17 minute featurette

• (HD) The awful truth: Deconstructing a scene - 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Q&A featuring Janet Maslin & Jason Reitman at the Jacob Burns Film Center - 46 minutes

• (HD) 6 deleted scenes

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Young Adult comes from the mind of writer Diablo Cody is a darkly comedic contemporary drama that paints a vivid human portrait with an emotional center. In the hands of director Jason Reitman and star Charlize Theron it is a rewarding expose that takes a refreshing approach to a conventional subject. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a middling assortment of supplemental material highlighted by 46 minute director Q&A and making of documentary. I enjoyed it and recommend that you give it a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OMG! One of thee funniest movies i've seen with Charlize as a leading character.

Loved her character because it was pretty raw and straight forward without really thinking it through or maybe she did but just didn't care. lol

Great movie overall if you're just looking for a relaxed friday/saturday evening with some rom/dram.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hated this movie. For some reason, I thought it would be funny but I walked out of the theater depressed.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Hated this movie. For some reason, I thought it would be funny but I walked out of the theater depressed.

Greetings,

It's definitely not an uplifting type film..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Ralph. You're a good reviewer. Your synopsis of the film is as good in it's writing as I imagine any professionally published reviewer's would be. If I were the owner of a for-profit newpaper or other publication, I would give you a legit shot.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Ralph. You're a good reviewer. Your synopsis of the film is as good in it's writing as I imagine any professionally published reviewer's would be. If I were the owner of a for-profit newpaper or other publication, I would give you a legit shot.

I would, too.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Definitely gonna check this one out. I love pretty much everyone involved with it.
Though, several people I know seemed to have hated it (I refused to find out why...i wanna experience it on my own)
post #8 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Greetings,

Thanks Tim. Your comments are much appreciated..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 10 Old 03-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Love Charlize. Netflix rental.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Watched it tonight. And while I enjoyed the movie....I felt the ending was a bit incomplete. Charlize's ending was fine the way it was, but I would have really like to see a bit more of Patton's character. They kind of left him hanging...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Young Adult Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Young by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page