Feature running time: 110 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Logan Lerman, Milla Jovovich, Matthew Macfadyen, Ray Stevenson, Luke Evans, Mads Mikkelsen, Gabriella Wilde, James Corden, Juno Temple, Freddie Fox, Orlando Bloom, Christoph Waltz
Directed by: Paul W. S. Anderson
Music by: Paul Haslinger
Written by: Alex Litvak & Andrew Davies
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 13, 2012

"Every legend has a new beginning"

Film Synopsis:

The young hero D'Artagnan (Logan Lerman) and three of France's most elite warriors battle their way across Europe to save king and country from a conspiracy led by deadly assassin Milady (Milla Jovovich) & the Duke of Buckingham (Orlando Bloom). A modern update to Alexander Dumas' classic story, The Three Musketeers is an explosive action adventure that's fun & entertaining for the whole family.

My Take:

The Three Musketeers are Porthos, Athos, and Aramis three elite warriors who serve the King of France as his best Musketeers. After being disbanded and deemed obsolete by the scheming Cardinal Richlieu the Musketeers have little to do but spend their days hoping for a cause worthy of their talents. That day comes when they come across a young, aspiring hero, D'Artagnan who they take under their wing after discovering an evil conspiracy to overthrow the King. Together, the four embark on a dangerous mission which requires them to face off against the conniving Duke of Buckingham (Orlando Bloom) and the treacherous Milady de Winter (Milla Jovovich) to foil the plot that not only threatens the Crown, but the future of Europe itself.

Alexander Dumas' swashbuckling story of The Three Musketeers has seen its share of Hollywood productions. This telling takes a few liberties and has a contemporary feel that includes plenty of special effects and a rather silly script filled with campy modern dialogue, cardboard cuts for characters and a shallow plot. The attempts at witty humor failed and the romance never achieved lukewarm levels. This left little to care about other than the action which isn't original but is entertaining nonetheless. I didn't much care for Logan Lerman but otherwise enjoyed the cast and found myself wishing that they had more to work with. As a modern day action adventure The Three Musketeers isn't bad per se however as an adaptation of Alexander Dumas' classic tale it leaves much to be desired.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of action adventure violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 92

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Three Musketeers 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Summit Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mpbs.

I have been very pleased with the natively shot 3D films that have come to Blu-ray and The Three Musketeers is no exception. While this presentation doesn't offer continual use of screen popping effects it makes for a natural and visually pleasing experience. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Dimension is strong as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to draw you in by creating a discernible sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes, shapes and distances. There are a few sequences that provide a bit of reach out and touch dimensionality but the strength of this 3D rendering lies in its natural sense of depth. Comparing color and fleshtone reproduction to the 2D presentation I saw no discernible difference. The rendering of detail and clarity is similar although I would give the slightest edge for all around visual pop to the 2D version. I didn't notice any overtly distracting signs of crosstalk/ghosting. For those hoping for all the 3D bells and whistles you won't find them here. That doesn't mean that this isn't a worthwhile viewing experience as I found it to be an excellent 3D presentation.

Action/adventure films like these are tailor made for lossless audio's higher fidelity and this 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio mix doesn't disappoint. This reference quality soundtrack bristles with active surround sound, extended dynamic range, and punctuated, room energizing bass that all makes for an enthralling home theater experience. Whether it's the supple texture of creaking timbers or the involving air to air ship battle the auditory is richly basked in sonic clarity and potent dynamic energy. Surround activity is abundant with purposeful near field and diffused atmospheric placement that creates an immersive sound field. Balance between the front and rear soundstages is spot on so that sounds that pass between the speakers going in either direction is done so in a seamless fashion. Low frequencies are rendered cleanly with a tactile richness that increases in intensity where appropriate. Dialogue is clear, full bodied and tonally descriptive. This is a terrific lossless audio soundtrack that makes for a perfect companion to either Blu-ray presentation.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The Three Musketeers comes to Blu-ray Disc from Summit Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mpbs.

This is a high quality video presentation that looks spectacular on Blu-ray. Images can be visually arresting and have a rich dynamic quality that highlights a near flawless rendering of detail. The video has excellent dimension and enriching clarity that rarely left me wanting. The stylized visual design features varied aesthetics that mate perfectly with subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, blue, red, green, white and black. The chromatic range is vividly reproduced and fully appreciable as colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy that leaps off of the screen. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. High production value expertly blends real imagery with CGI with the end result being a distinguished video presentation that is perfect for showing off your high definition display.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray - The Three Musketeers

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray - The Three Musketeers plus the following bonus material:

• Audio commentary with director Paul W.S. Anderson and producers Jeremy Bolt and Robert Kulzer

• Access Three Musketeers - In movie experience that includes cast/crew interviews, insider details and a look behind the scenes

• (HD) Featurettes (3 segments) :

1. Paul W.S. Anderson's Three Musketeers - 2 minutes
    2. Orlando Bloom takes on the Duke - 2 minutes
    3. 17th Century air travel - 2 minutes
    4. Uncovering France in Germany - 2 minutes

• (HD) 12 deleted/extended scenes

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Alexander Dumas this big screen adaptation of The Three Musketeers is a contemporary telling that includes plenty of special effects and fair action but is hampered by a silly script filled with campy modern dialogue, cardboard cuts for characters and a shallow plot. As a modern day action/adventure it isn't terrible however as an adaptation of Alexander Dumas' classic tale it leaves much to be desired. It makes its way onto Blu-ray from Summit Entertainment in this two disc offering that includes resplendent 3D/2D high definition video, superlative DTS-HD Master Audio sound and a decent supplemental package. If you're a fan this one is a no brainer. If you're curious or just want to check out a terrific high definition audio/video presentation, drop it in your rental queue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I dunno about the "3D" version...but "The Three Musketeers" for me sucked. I would agree with 2 stars...max. I'm normally very nice on stars, but this movie was just...bad. I feel like it was aimed at teen pop girls...what kind of main actor did they have. I hated the main actor. Give me a freakin break that a 15 year old can kill anyone else with a sword. Plot was horrible and most of the acting was unforgivable. Plot line was even more ludicrous considering the year they were in.

Cliffs: Skip it. DO NOT BUY!
post #3 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Sounds like the movie is a bit of a clunker, but at least the technical side is good which should make for a fun watch in the HT Thanks Ralph.

Off topic, but I still have not updated my RS45 FW which is why I have not reported back. Have you tried the update yet and if so did it go OK?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Eating a rotten candy bar of the same name would be more enjoyable than watching this re-hashed crap.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Going against the grain here but i thought this was a decent film. Certainly not the greatest but it was somewhat comedic. Decent action and certain scenes i thought wasn't that great. But overall enjoyed it.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sounds like the movie is a bit of a clunker, but at least the technical side is good which should make for a fun watch in the HT Thanks Ralph.

Off topic, but I still have not updated my RS45 FW which is why I have not reported back. Have you tried the update yet and if so did it go OK?

Greetings,

I haven't Todd. It's not a priority for me and you know the saying "if it ain't broke..."

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 16
ah,good review!. I guess it's a rent and not to buy for me
post #8 of 27 Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I haven't Todd. It's not a priority for me and you know the saying "if it ain't broke..."

Regards,

That is the way I am feeling at this point as well

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 27 Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Liked: 19
I guess we should just stick with the Disney one since it was WINNING.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I was hoping for more--or that my preconceptions were wrong--but based on your review, it looks like I have it right for this movie. Too bad as I was hoping for something special with this movie especially since I really love Milla Jovovich--so I guess this will be a rental for me.

Bob

post #11 of 27 Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Thanks for the review Ralph, looks like an eventual rental but a no-rush type film. Director Paul W.S. Anderson's output can be quite erratic, some of his scifi films I really like and own (Event Horizon, Pandorum) but his choice of other projects leaves a lot to be desired.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #12 of 27 Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

I don't give a hoot.

I already pre-ordered it from Amazon for only $19.99.

Happy to know that the 3D PQ is great. Thanks Ralph.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... Whether to go for the Blu-ray 3D Version or download the 3D version of the movie via the PSN Movie Store... Either way, it'll work equally on the PS3. I'll just have to see which method is cheaper between the two. I'd love to see this movie.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

I guess we should just stick with the Disney one since it was WINNING.

When does the U.S. get the Lester 3 and 4 Musketeers? Those are the ones I'm holding out for.

Edit: I mean, come on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-LfUtHnEBY

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #15 of 27 Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The 1974 version is and remains the best (the 1975 sequel, filmed simultaneously, not so much IMO...).

Greg
post #16 of 27 Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I watched this I didnt mind it will buy when it becomes cheap.

Frank

post #17 of 27 Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Thanks for the review Ralph (anyone remember that this thread is about the BD, not the movie itself?).

When I wanted to take my family - all adults BTW - to see a movie last Nov it was a choice between this one and Immortals. Both looked good in the previews. But where Three Musketeers was fun, enjoyable and entertaining, the other turned out to be a dreadful experience. The 3D in both were great, but of these two films which I saw first run, this is the only one I will even consider adding to my collection. A year or two from now I believe it will be fun once again to see this in the comfort of our home.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #18 of 27 Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

I'll pass on this.
post #19 of 27 Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by franin View Post

i watched this i didnt mind it will buy when it becomes cheap.

+1

post #20 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

$19.99 at Best Buy this week.
post #21 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Also $19.99 at Amazon
post #22 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 104
I enjoyed it! It was a fun watch and Milla didn't disappoint. She never does. An acquaintance, who is a bit of an academic snot, panned it saying it was a blasphemous insult to the story of the Three Musketeers. I guess I see it as an original story that in a humorous entertaining way violates historical accuracy, science, and laws of nature in general. But most importantly, I was engaged into the story and had fun watching it. For me it was a better investment than Immortals 3D. Good review Ralph.
post #23 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

Also $19.99 at Amazon

Thanks King_David. Im actually waiting when my local video store sells it they usually price it for $12.95 on blu ray.

Frank

post #24 of 27 Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM

I loved the 3D version.

JohnnyJT
post #25 of 27 Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Review was spot on.

Why did Constance have a British accent? If that makes no sense to you, imagine how bad the rest of the movie was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Milla didn't disappoint. She never does.

Oh so true!
post #26 of 27 Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I didn't make it past the opening scene...and I'm not going back.
post #27 of 27 Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Liked: 16
Just rented this today,wasn't to sure to get it or not, but shouldn't dts put warning labels on their disk?. "Turn sub level down" my goodness!,i wasn't expecting the film had that much lfe effects lol. But so far i'm enjoying the film.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Three Musketeers Blu Ray Blu Ray 3d Combo , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page