Immortals (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Immortals (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Gae's Avatar Gae
06:23 AM Liked: 10
post #31 of 64
03-13-2012 | Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

Of course they will never top native 3D....

Agreed...even if the conversions are improving and looking better, I still can't watch them simply knowing that they are a conversion because in the back of my mind I know that a converted scene will NEVER completely replace a natively shot scene. You cannot replicate every single pixel, every single correct angle or reflection of every single object....it is purely guesswork and an artist's interpretation. Just shoot the film in native already and use a professional stereographer. Jeez...the industry usually makes millions from these films after all so its not as if they don't get rewarded for their efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

With that said, I do want to see native 3D become the norm for new 3D movies, and the conversion efforts perhaps used more for just catalog releases in 3D...

I have no problem with conversions for older films if done properly. After all, I converted Carnival of Souls and 12 mins from House on Haunted Hill to 3D and so to say anything else would be hypocritical.

Gae
Pinstripe's Avatar Pinstripe
02:26 PM Liked: 10
post #32 of 64
03-17-2012 | Posts: 548
Finally - a good movie! Yes, movies of this type have been done and the story is what it is - good guy trying to kill bad guy and vise-versa - but it was well acted, well filmed, good music and a story that makes sense.

Sure, it could use some extra character development, but it's an action movie; character development is not the main goal. The gold and red colours popped off the screen, and the black levels (2D) were oh so right on my plasma.
Franin's Avatar Franin
07:34 PM Liked: 299
post #33 of 64
03-17-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Im hoping to see this tomorrow night.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea
04:10 PM Liked: 874
post #34 of 64
03-18-2012 | Posts: 6,615
I enjoyed it. It is similar to 300. If you liked 300 you'll probably like this one - and vice versa.
Franin's Avatar Franin
07:11 PM Liked: 299
post #35 of 64
03-18-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I enjoyed it. It is similar to 300. If you liked 300 you'll probably like this one - and vice versa.

I loved 300 so im getting this on a blind buy.
Franin's Avatar Franin
06:45 PM Liked: 299
post #36 of 64
03-19-2012 | Posts: 17,591
I've finished watching the film last night and have to admit i did not like it. Personally for me 300 is so much better and i enjoyed clash of the titans more than this film. Will sell my copy today.
Franin's Avatar Franin
06:48 PM Liked: 299
post #37 of 64
Btw Ralph did you find this mix quite loud at the normal levels you play at?
Archaea's Avatar Archaea
07:10 PM Liked: 874
post #38 of 64
03-19-2012 | Posts: 6,615
Curious...

What didn't you like about it compared to 300?
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
07:27 PM Liked: 689
post #39 of 64
03-19-2012 | Posts: 9,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Btw Ralph did you find this mix quite loud at the normal levels you play at?

Greetings,

Not that I noticed Frank..

Regards,
Franin's Avatar Franin
08:34 PM Liked: 299
post #40 of 64
Quote:

Curious...

What didn't you like about it compared to 300?

Everything there wasnt one thing I found enjoyable about this film.
Franin's Avatar Franin
08:36 PM Liked: 299
post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Not that I noticed Frank..

Regards,

OK thank you Ralph.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea
09:06 PM Liked: 874
post #42 of 64
03-19-2012 | Posts: 6,615
How could you not like the fight between the titans and the gods? That was very impressive special effects!
Franin's Avatar Franin
02:31 AM Liked: 299
post #43 of 64
03-20-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:

How could you not like the fight between the titans and the gods? That was very impressive special effects!

Yeah that was ok part, still it didn't the save the film for me.
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin
04:05 PM Liked: 101
post #44 of 64
03-23-2012 | Posts: 5,071
Quote:

Yeah that was ok part, still it didn't the save the film for me.

I agree. Whatever happened to the bow lol. They made such a big deal about it
Franin's Avatar Franin
06:03 AM Liked: 299
post #45 of 64
03-25-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I agree. Whatever happened to the bow lol. They made such a big deal about it

I turned it off near the end. I can tolerate alot of films but for some reason this one no.
lewis3845's Avatar lewis3845
06:36 AM Liked: 11
post #46 of 64
03-25-2012 | Posts: 233
Quote:

I turned it off near the end. I can tolerate alot of films but for some reason this one no.

I agree, I bought the bluray3d combo pack for $25 and I still feel like I got robbed the movie was pretty bad. I've seen both 300 and Clash of the Titans and Immortals was the worst of them.
Franin's Avatar Franin
07:30 AM Liked: 299
post #47 of 64
03-25-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis3845 View Post

I agree, I bought the bluray3d combo pack for $25 and I still feel like I got robbed the movie was pretty bad. I've seen both 300 and Clash of the Titans and Immortals was the worst of them.

I agree 1000% this movie doesn't even hold a candle to those films mentioned. I was fortunate i was able to sell my movie and not lose a dime.
TulsaCoker's Avatar TulsaCoker
01:34 PM Liked: 14
post #48 of 64
04-04-2012 | Posts: 1,148
Quote:

I agree 1000% this movie doesn't even hold a candle to those films mentioned. I was fortunate i was able to sell my movie and not lose a dime.

So basically Franin you cheated someone
Franin's Avatar Franin
05:34 PM Liked: 299
post #49 of 64
04-04-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post

So basically Franin you cheated someone

My mate enjoyed the film and couldn't be bothered going to the shop and buying it so it was easier for him to buy it off me.
Toe's Avatar Toe
10:00 PM Liked: 556
post #50 of 64
04-04-2012 | Posts: 13,327
Watched this today and enjoyed it. 300 was probably a better movie, but Immortals was much more entertaining if that makes any sense.

Fantastic audio with awesome LFE
adpayne's Avatar adpayne
11:08 AM Liked: 39
post #51 of 64
04-05-2012 | Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Fantastic audio with awesome LFE

Tell me about it.

I just got my first powered sub (Epik Legend - dual 12") a few weeks ago. When I put this movie back in to rewatch, it was like hearing it for the first time (Drive was the same way.).

The tidal wave scene moved my whole house.

Highly recommended for Bass Heads.

Art
Toe's Avatar Toe
06:40 PM Liked: 556
post #52 of 64
04-05-2012 | Posts: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Tell me about it.

I just got my first powered sub (Epik Legend - dual 12") a few weeks ago. When I put this movie back in to rewatch, it was like hearing it for the first time (Drive was the same way.).

The tidal wave scene moved my whole house.

Highly recommended for Bass Heads.

Art

Nice! Yeah, that tidal wave was fantastic. Any scene with the bow was great as well, especially when it blew the hole in the fortress gate!

Enjoy your new sub! You have a LOT to look forward to as far as revisiting some of your favorite films, and experiencing new ones in a whole new light.
ghostsup's Avatar ghostsup
01:29 PM Liked: 10
post #53 of 64
04-18-2012 | Posts: 47
I absolutely loved 300, but I couldn't get into this one. I didn't like it at all... well the 30 minutes that I watched before turning it off. Thank god I rented it (and I still feel jipped).
Franin's Avatar Franin
07:34 AM Liked: 299
post #54 of 64
04-25-2012 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostsup View Post

I absolutely loved 300, but I couldn't get into this one. I didn't like it at all... well the 30 minutes that I watched before turning it off. Thank god I rented it (and I still feel jipped).

I know what you mean.
JoeBlow74's Avatar JoeBlow74
10:08 AM Liked: 38
post #55 of 64
04-25-2012 | Posts: 346
I enjoyed the movie. There were a lot going on in the back channels. I like the story and the plot. I mean it was not as good as some, but this movie really got me thinking about Greek Mythology. This movie kept me excited and wanting more. I would give it a 3 out of 5 rating. Sure sounded good on the low end. My subs were working hard on this movie.
Taranteacher's Avatar Taranteacher
11:00 AM Liked: 86
post #56 of 64
04-23-2013 | Posts: 403
Late post here. Recently bought my 3D Blu-ray of this and wondered what people here thought of it (thanks for your invaluable insight as always, Ralph cool.gif!). To be honest, I have to admit I wanted to love this movie when I took my 18-yr-old son to see it last December in a 3D theater but found myself dozing off a couple of times eek.gif. Even when feeling tired, if the movie is good this won't happen especially in a first-time viewing, so that's saying a lot. The purchase of this was because my son actually enjoyed it very much and so I bought it for him moreso than for me wink.gif.

In hindsight, I remember the fact that it was (purposefully, I think) a low-powered bulb projection which made the film darker than usual even for 3D. Also, I recall the sound not being good either. In fact, it was a theater we don't normally go to (a cheaper facility). I'm saying it does explain a lot, since I normally would enjoy this type of film more--I've always been a fan of Greek mythoi and I do remember it was visually great all things considered equal.

I'm now anxious to rewatch at home in 3D with volume cranked up, thanks to everyone's comments. Franin, as to your dislike for it, I can respect that. You and I have similar tastes, except you don't favor 3D, and I think this movie in particular benefits much from the added dimension, albeit converted. Plus, this one differs from 300 in the sense that the latter is (very roughly, of course) based on historical events and the former is pure mythology, I'm saying they require slightly different mindsets going in. I won't blame anyone (including me) for comparing them, though, as well as for doing so to Clash. Funny, I now think Clash would go 3rd in my book (300 1st, Immortals 2nd) tongue.gif, and I still enjoyed that one quite a bit (Wrath is much better though, with stunning 3D cool.gif, so Clash could go as far as 4th!).

A very bad movie, IMHO, going for this type of thing, is Beowolf... Saw that IMAX 3D and, even though it wasn't I but rather a guy 3 or 4 seats away who was--literally--snoring (his female companion was constantly elbowing him out of it! biggrin.gif), bad, bad, bad movie! Again, YMMV... rolleyes.gif
fxdude's Avatar fxdude
05:27 PM Liked: 10
post #57 of 64
04-24-2013 | Posts: 7
It's funny those that keep mentioning conversion vs natively shot since all natively shot 3D movies also have conversion in them. I worked on the conversion of this film, I also worked on converting parts of Avatar and Transformers 3 but no one ever seems to mention the converted shots in those films. I agree that fully converted films started out very poorly just like 3D technology itself, let's hope they both only continue to improve. Tarsem is great to work with because he's such a visual artist, would love to see The Cell converted (if it's done properly of course).

Didn't love this movie but some of the visuals are great, the fight scene near the cage was fun to work on and watch the final product.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
03:09 AM Liked: 689
post #58 of 64
04-25-2013 | Posts: 9,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdude View Post

It's funny those that keep mentioning conversion vs natively shot since all natively shot 3D movies also have conversion in them. I worked on the conversion of this film, I also worked on converting parts of Avatar and Transformers 3 but no one ever seems to mention the converted shots in those films. I agree that fully converted films started out very poorly just like 3D technology itself, let's hope they both only continue to improve. Tarsem is great to work with because he's such a visual artist, would love to see The Cell converted (if it's done properly of course).

Didn't love this movie but some of the visuals are great, the fight scene near the cage was fun to work on and watch the final product.

Greetings,

fxdude, thanks much for chiming in and offering your thoughts.smile.gif

I agree and hope that the technology continues to evlove and improve. Thanks for your work... cool.gif

Regards,
Franin's Avatar Franin
07:58 AM Liked: 299
post #59 of 64
04-25-2013 | Posts: 17,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

. Franin, as to your dislike for it, I can respect that. You and I have similar tastes, except you don't favor 3D, and I think this movie in particular benefits much from the added dimension, albeit converted. Plus, this one differs from 300 in the sense that the latter is (very roughly, of course) based on historical events and the former is pure mythology, I'm saying they require slightly different mindsets going in. I won't blame anyone (including me) for comparing them, though, as well as for doing so to Clash. Funny, I now think Clash would go 3rd in my book (300 1st, Immortals 2nd) tongue.gif, and I still enjoyed that one quite a bit (Wrath is much better though, with stunning 3D cool.gif, so Clash could go as far as 4th!).

A very bad movie, IMHO, going for this type of thing, is Beowolf... Saw that IMAX 3D and, even though it wasn't I but rather a guy 3 or 4 seats away who was--literally--snoring (his female companion was constantly elbowing him out of it! biggrin.gif), bad, bad, bad movie! Again, YMMV... rolleyes.gif

Taranteacher with Immortals you will definitely enjoy the LFE. smile.gif
Taranteacher's Avatar Taranteacher
07:32 PM Liked: 86
post #60 of 64
04-25-2013 | Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Taranteacher with Immortals you will definitely enjoy the LFE. smile.gif

Thanks, Franin! That's the very first thing I noticed! The bummer for me was it started having dropouts, about 10 or 12 during the first 5 minutes or so! Damn TrueHD tracks and my cheapo LG player mad.gif ! Didn't finish watching it, as I got interrupted from viewing most of the rest, I'll post back later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdude View Post

fxdude, awesome job man! (Wish I was you!) cool.gif C'mon, pal, 'course we 3D addicts know part of natively shot movies are conversion, that goes without saying... wink.gif
Tags: Immortals Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies

Gear in this thread - Immortals by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Subscribe to this Thread