Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 106 minutes
Genre: Animation/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish, French
Starring: Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Music by: John Williams
Written by: Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish based on The adventures of Tintin by Herge
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 13, 2012

"Discover how far adventure will take you"

Film Synopsis:

From Academy Award® -winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson comes the epic adventures of Tintin. Racing to uncover the secrets of a sunken ship that may hold a vast fortune -- but also an ancient curse -- Tintin and his loyal dog Snowy embark on an action-packed journey around the world.

My Take:

Prior to seeing The adventures of Tintin I knew little about the popular character other than recognizing his likeness. For those like me here is some background borrowed from Wikipedia:

The Adventures of Tintin (French: Les Aventures de Tintin) is a series of comic albums created by Belgian artist Georges Remi (1907-1983), who wrote under the pen name of Hergé. The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 50 languages and more than 200 million copies of the books sold to date.

The series first appeared in French in Le Petit Vingtième, a children's supplement to the Belgian newspaper Le XXe Siècle on 10 January 1929. The success of the series saw the serialised strips published in Belgium's leading newspaper Le Soir and spun into a successful Tintin magazine. Then in 1950, Hergé created Studios Hergé, which produced the canon series of twenty-four albums. The Adventures of Tintin have been adapted for radio, television, theatre, and film.

Set during a largely realistic 20th century, the hero of the series is Tintin, a young Belgian reporter. He is aided in his adventures by his faithful fox terrier dog Snowy (Milou in French). Later, popular additions to the cast included the brash and cynical Captain Haddock, the highly intelligent but hearing-impaired Professor Calculus (Professeur Tournesol) and other supporting characters such as the incompetent detectives Thomson and Thompson (Dupont et Dupond). Hergé himself features in several of the comics as a background character, as do his assistants in some instances.

The comic strip series has long been admired for its clean, expressive drawings in Hergé's signature ligne claire style. Its engaging, well-researched plots straddle a variety of genres: swashbuckling adventures with elements of fantasy, mysteries, political thrillers, and science fiction. The stories within the Tintin series always feature slapstick humour, offset in later albums by dashes of sophisticated satire and political/cultural commentary.

Based on the Adventures of Tintin and the secret of the Unicorn, I found The Adventures of Tintin to be an entertaining film that seems to capture the essence of the popular book series both conceptually and artistically. The first act moves a bit slowly as it sets up the story but by act two things are moving along and I found myself engrossed. I liked the action/adventure combined with elements of mystery and light humor/slapstick. I agree with the filmmaker's decision not to attempt to introduce a back story on Tintin. This was something that wasn't done in the books and wouldn't have added anything legitimate to the storyline. Even though I wasn't previously familiar with Tintin It took only the first few minutes of the film to figure out that he was an investigative reporter, a bit of a sleuth and relies on his constant companion/partner Snowy the dog. Later we see that he can handle himself and that he has a penchant for seeing things through. The film is animated with the performances by the cast using motion-capture. Stars Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis do an incredible job with Daniel Craig capably handling the role of the villain. As you might expect from Steven Spielberg this is a well executed production that is complimented by the superb music of the great John Williams. Things end on an open note that sets up what could be the next adventure for Tintin and company. I look forward to seeing more of him.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for adventure action violence some drunkenness and brief smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The adventures of Tintin 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.8 Mbps.

I much prefer to view 3D that takes advantage of the depth and dimension that can bring images onscreen to life in a visually involving and natural way. This is a nicely balanced presentation that features excellent onscreen dimensional correlation. There isn't a consistent array of pop out of the screen effects but there are instances where objects extended beyond the screen to create a virtual sense of dimensionality. Textures abound as the richness of the beautifully crafted animated images are incredibly nuanced regardless of their placement within the frame. Fidelity is intact as the film's gorgeous color, rich contrast and defining blacks are beautifully rendered and natural. Comparing this to the 2D version in terms of the rendering of detail, color reproduction and contrast I found them to be identical. This may not be an effects laden spectacle however I found it to be a rewarding and fun 3D experience.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes regular use of the surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, crystalline dialogue and robust bass response. This 7.1 channel mix doesn't bombard you with aggressive surround sound but applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The swashbuckling flashback sequence aboard the Unicorn is a great example of this. The front and rear sound field's never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and involving acoustic placement. Dynamic's are excellent but not up to the level of the best lossless sound that I have heard. This is a well rounded audio presentation that mates well with the source material and sounds great.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The adventures of Tintin comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation from Paramount. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film's animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on as blacks are rich with deep highlights, whites and grays exhibit multi-layered depth and refined detail that give them excellent dimension.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray - The adventures of Tintin

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray - The adventures of Tintin (plus the following bonus features):

• (HD) Toasting Tintin part 1

• (HD) The journey to Tintin - 9 minute featurette

• (HD) The world of Tintin - 10 minute featurette

• (HD) The who's who of Tintin - 14 minute featurette

• (HD) Tintin: Conceptual design - 8 minute featurette

• (HD) Tintin: In the volume - 18 minute featurette

• (HD) Snowy: From beginning to end 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Animating Tintin - 11 minute featurette

• (HD) Tintin the score - 7 minute featurette

• (HD) Collecting Tintin - 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Toasting Tintin part 2

• BD-Live

• Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD - The adventures of Tintin

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the popular book series by Herge The adventures of Tintin is an entertaining film that seems to artistically and conceptually capture the essence of the character and his adventures via a well crafted/executed Steven Spielberg production that features a well placed cast and marvelous music score by John Williams. This three disc Blu-ray package from Paramount Home Entertainment includes the feature film in high definition in both 3D and 2D flavors with each offering resplendent video quality and involving DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The supplemental features are typical but worthwhile and include an in-depth look behind the scenes as well as a standard definition DVD of the film and Ultraviolet Digital copy. I had a good time with The Adventures of Tintin. If you enjoy its type of animated film entertainment its well worth a look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been waiting for your take on this! A little disappointed that it's not absolute reference quality... I was thoroughly impressed at the theater! But oh well, find out for myself on tuesday.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by indeed330 View Post

I've been waiting for your take on this! A little disappointed that it's not absolute reference quality... I was thoroughly impressed at the theater! But oh well, find out for myself on tuesday.

Greetings,

No worries. It's a stunner that won't leave you disappointed.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 32 Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Day 1 buy for me, thanks for the review Ralph. I'm also dissapointed that it did not score higher especially in the Audio..If i may ask, what did you feel about the bass extension in the track?

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #5 of 32 Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Liked: 10
Our family loved this movie in 2D at the theater and I'll be buying the 3D combo pack on Tuesday. This is a fantastic adventure movie!
post #6 of 32 Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Thanks for the review Ralph as someone who has all the Tintin books this is a day 1 purchase for me. Im definitely looking forward to watch this at home.

Frank

post #7 of 32 Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM

animation is not a genre. it's a medium. this film wasn't even animated, it was motion captured
post #8 of 32 Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBN View Post

animation is not a genre. it's a medium. this film wasn't even animated, it was motion captured

Greetings,

Motion-capture performances or not this is a digitally created film made up of animated imagery. The header description only serves as a reference. It goes without saying that animation in and of itself isn't a genre.

Do you have anything to add to this thread pertaining to its subject??

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 32 Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am looking forward to this on Tuesday. 3D blind buy...but Spielberg rarely disappoints.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been wanting to see this one since it came out but didn't get a chance. Think i'll have to check this one out based on this review.

For some reason i always get this movie confused with Hugo. But nonetheless will have to audition it.

Cheers
post #11 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Will be picking this up this afternoon.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Just rec'd mine from Amazon today (2 disc, video rights version). If there were flaws it was easy to overlook and just set back enjoying the story.
post #13 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Just finished watching it in 2d and easily a 100 in my book beautifully done
post #14 of 32 Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I think based on your recommendation I will blind-buy this movie!
post #15 of 32 Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Most amazing animation, very realistic and not like a cartoon. Might be the way most movies will be made in 20 years.
post #16 of 32 Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

Most amazing animation, very realistic and not like a cartoon. Might be the way most movies will be made in 20 years.

I believe so too.

Frank

post #17 of 32 Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I am looking forward to this on Tuesday. 3D blind buy...but Spielberg rarely disappoints.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, he did with this one. It had the same kind of noisy, silly, over-bearing slapstick humor as "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." It did not work well in this instance either. In fact, it pulled me right out of the movie.

The story was trite and very predictable as well.

Yes, the detail and level of texturing of the digital environment and characters were far better than a PIXAR movie, but then again, PIXAR isn't going for the pseudo-photo realistic look either; more like CGI versions of hand drawn Disney character design work.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #18 of 32 Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

One of the worst movies my wife and I have seen. Yes, the animation was very good with very smooth motions, and the story was ok (really all that running around and they are happy with the 'treasure' they find? - among other story problems); but many of the characters were just over the top bad and very inconsistent.

Pretty to watch and nice to listen to mean nothing if the story is bad, and this was bad.
post #19 of 32 Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have to agree with some of the above comments..it's nice to look at but the movie was empty. Even with all the action and different locales, there was no "I really care about all this" for me. I liked Snowy best of all, but the other characters and the plot were..missing that spark.
I really wanted to like it too, especially after The Immortals !.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Great snakes! I must say I enjoyed this movie a lot and it makes me want to read the stories. It`s also a movie that I can watch with my kids which is an added bonus. Yes, it was predictable, yes, it was slap-stickish at times, and yes, some of the characters were over the top...it was still fun to watch!

Dan, remember they are in the 1930-40`s so that amount of treasure would be worth more and besides it was just to entice them to continue on.
post #21 of 32 Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Saw this yesterday (theatrically), and enjoyed it a lot. Though I thought it would have been better as an actual live-action film, the stunt work would be near to impossible to do as such. Excellent cinematography. Recommended rental, but I'm purchasing.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #22 of 32 Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM

This one left me on the fence. The video was outstanding, audio was O.K. but left a lot to be desired in the LFE department, and the story was unexciting. It was sort of an animated Indiana Jones but, the "puzzle" leading to the treasure was very basic. I found the storyline to be a bit much for my 5 year old but, too basic for my 12 year old. Afterwards my wife and I looked at one another and said, "Hmmm." It had potential but, didn't quite hit the mark.
post #23 of 32 Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG5589 View Post

It had potential but, didn't quite hit the mark.

I'll go one step further and say it doesn't even define the mark. It doesn't really succeed as a pure nonsense adventure either, mainly it's just an excuse for FX.
post #24 of 32 Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
As a fan of the Tintin graphic novels growing up, I must admit I had high hopes for this movie and ended up coming away with mixed emotions.

On the one hand, I don't have some of the complaints others have about things like the slapstick comedy, since that is part and parcel of the graphic novels. In addition, I'll concur that the video is very impressive and I loved the motorcycle sequence. Although the audio wasn't as dynamic as some other recent releases, I didn't find it a disappointment either.

What left me perplexingly dissatisfied was... the direction and pacing of the movie. Let's get something straight, I LOVE epic adventures. The original trilogy of Indiana Jones movies (especially 1&3), the first two movies in the recent 'Mummy' franchise, 'The Fifth Element' etc. That said though, within those franchises, the last movies were disappointments (Crystal Skull and Tomb Of The Jade Emperor).

Something about those movies lacked the pacing and heart of the others. Often times, it seemed that the pacing was arranged just to connect one action sequence to another. There wasn't enough of a build up of the characters or a build up to the action. It's like a fast rollercoaster powered by an engine zooming along on a fairly flat track. There weren't the dips and peaks that made it fun. I never built a rapport with the lead characters.

I felt the same way with this movie. Even though I already had an affinity for the characters from the comics, the movie itself never bothered to take the time to pull me in and make a connection to them. It almost feels like some of these new movies are paced for the ADD generation.

Max
post #25 of 32 Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Liked: 14
I agree with Ralph the audio score should be low, but for different reasons. I'm a big fan of John Williams (and a film music editor by profession), and I had owned and listened several times to the CD of this score prior to owning the BLU-RAY, but the music is obviously featured in the mix to the detriment of the impact of sound FX in many places. It almost seems at times that snd fx are missing - they are so low in the mix. To me that's where the lack of low end and some of the sound impact is lacking - it's due to an actual lack of some of the sound effects because the music is featured so prominently. And of course it's not John Williams fault, the music is great ... the mix not so much, IMO.
post #26 of 32 Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Im hoping to receive this on Friday.

Frank

post #27 of 32 Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched this the other night loved it.

Frank

post #28 of 32 Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This movie is visually stunning! How do they do it?
post #29 of 32 Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I agree with this review. I thought the movie was pretty good. It had enough elements to make it unique. The story was well-written. The animation was flat-out amazing, the the video quality was superb. I did think the music was a little high in the mix as compared to the sound effects- and there were only a couple LFE moments with big impact IIRC. The gunshots didn't sound threatening, they were a little flat.

Overall a nice blind-buy. Family enjoyed the movie. Sets up nicely for a sequel.
post #30 of 32 Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Maybe 3D would make a difference but I watched it last night and just didn't enjoy it all that much--can't say I hated it--but not very memorable either--I generously gave it 6/10.

Bob

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Adventures Of Tintin Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page