Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2002
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson, Brian Cox, Jane Alexander, David Dofrman, Amber Tamblyn
Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Written by: Ehren Kruger
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 20, 2012

"Before you die, you see the ring"

Film Synopsis:

It begins as just another urban legend-the whispered tale of a nightmarish videotape that causes anyone who watches it to die seven days later. But when four teenagers all meet with mysterious deaths exactly one week after watching just such a tape, investigative reporter Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts) tracks down the video...and watches it. Now, the legend is coming true, the clock is ticking and Rachel has just seven days to unravel the mystery of The Ring.

My Take:

In a small town in the Pacific northwest there are whispers of a strange videotape containing bizarre and haunting images. It is said that after watching it viewers receive a telephone call in which they are warned they will die in seven days. After the simultaneous deaths of four local teens rumored to have watched the videotape, journalist Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts), the aunt of one of the ill-fated teens, investigates the matter. She travels upstate to the cabin where the teenagers stayed and comes across the videotape which she watches. Afterward she receives the same warning phone call and begins experiencing ominous visions and dark dreams. In the meantime her young son Aidan, a troubled child, has been drawing pictures of strange places and people that coincide with Rachel's ominous visions. Realizing she must solve the puzzle of the video Rachel begins tracking it down. With the seven day countdown looming Rachel enlists the help of ex-boyfriend Noah. As they dig deeper into the mystery of the tape and the background surrounding its images they discover a foreboding evil that began with a little girl named Samara. In order to prevent more deaths (including their own) and stop the evil from spreading they must uncover the truth about Samara. Unfortunately they fail to realize that what they are dealing with is an evil that runs deep, dark and longs for revenge.

The Ring is a remake of the 1998 Japanese film Ringu by Hideo Nakata. I haven't seen Ringu but have heard it is the better of the two films. The reason that I haven't bothered to see it is because I find The Ring to be plenty creepy enough. The story builds nicely and the suspense/horror is of the goose bump raising variety. I like the elements of mystery surrounding the videotape, Samara and the unraveling nature of the narrative. The integration of the supernatural isn't such that it bombards you with unnecessary attempts at false frights but rather builds upon its inherently creepy aspects that work on you throughout and jab at key moments that prove pretty disturbing. After seeing it the first time, I remember having a restless night thinking about how/what emerged from that well. I like Naomi Watts and enjoy her performance in this film as well as the sequel that followed. Young David Dorfman is equally deserving of praise as the disquieted and haunted Aidan. Honorable mention goes out to Brian Cox in his brief but memorable portrayal of Samara's father. One of these days I will have to check out Ringu but frankly have no desire for anything that disturbs my much needed slumber. As for The Ring, it's a favorite that I have owned since it came to home video. I was surprised when it showed up for review on Blu-ray (the release from Paramount is a Best Buy Exclusive) and am pleased to report that it has replaced the DVD in my video collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements, disturbing images, language and some drug references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The Ring comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 37 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps.

This film intentionally uses stark visuals to convey the director's vision. Filtering is applied to create the chromatic aesthetic that represents the mood of select sequences throughout the presentation. The majority of the film has a teal bluish cast with colors consisting primarily of shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of muted secondary hues and reserved levels of contrast. The effect isn't always natural but works well. Whites are detailed with bright highlights and blacks are fairly deep with acceptable gradational quality in shadows and darkened areas. Images are cleanly rendered with very good to excellent detail that is easily discernible in close ups and mid-level distant camera shots. Long range visuals aren't definitively resolved which affected depth perception during wide angle camera shots but I didn't find it to be a problem. The video isn't always razor sharp, but in all but a few instances has defining structure, enriching clarity and perceivably enhanced resolution that surpasses the standard definition DVD in every regard.

This is a solid DTS-HD Master Audio mix that renders this soundtrack well. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren't foundation shaking but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low level bass impact as dictated by the film's elements. Dynamic range is good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. For a film such as this I find it surprising how front oriented the audio sound mix however the entire system kicks in when necessary which adds to the chill factor.

Bonus Features:

• Don't watch this - THE video in its entirety (15 minutes)

• (HD) Rings - 16 minute short film

• Cast/filmmaker interviews - 8 minutes

• The origin of terror - 4 minute documentary on urban legends

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

The Ring is a remake of the 1998 Japanese film Ringu by Hideo Nakata. It's a chiller thriller that doesn't fall into the scream until you're hoarse variety however its unraveling blend of mystery coupled with disturbingly creepy elements of supernatural horror are enough to raise goose bumps. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment as part of a Best Buy Exclusive that offers gratifying high definition audio/video that discernibly improves upon the standard definition quality found on the DVD. The bonus material is ported over from the previous DVD release and proves only mildly interesting. As a fan I am pleased to add The Ring to my Blu-ray collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
So getting this! The first time I saw this I stayed away from any tv for quite sometime

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of my favorite movies!

Ringu is definitely worth a watch. The "video" they watch is different, as well as Samara's background. Also, the "ring" in the Japanese version is primarily about the phone's "ring" you receive after watching the video, and not the well's image of a ring.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 19
Another thing about Ring (Japanese) is that the images more readily identify the girl. The movie series made up of 4 films is actually based on a book series.

Ju-On (The Grudge) is really creepy also.

Ralph you will need to add The Woman in Black to your "To Watch" queue. That was right up there in creepiness and Daniel Radcliffe is excellent.

The great things about these films are they aren't scary cause of gore and violence but because of the creepy settings, stories and supernatural antagonists.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Too bad its not 7.1 and so front channel oriented, as I remember it having very creepy rear sound effects on the DVD. Ralph, does the menu still have a phone ring in the background after waiting several minutes? Scared the #%*# out of me!
post #6 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Too bad its not 7.1 and so front channel oriented, as I remember it having very creepy rear sound effects on the DVD. Ralph, does the menu still have a phone ring in the background after waiting several minutes? Scared the #%*# out of me!

Greetings,

Shamus, the surround mix is identical to the one on the DVD so no worries there. My comment was relative to the mix in general as I would have liked a deeper level of envelopment.

The menu is the same as well although I didn't listen to it long enough to remember the phone ringing..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks Ralph! I remember the DVD being very enveloping way back then... we must must be spoiled now!
post #8 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Berry berry interdasting.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Can't wait to pick this up! The shift to green is a little strange in this new transfer, I wonder why it was changed
post #10 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 16
Caught this at the cinema. When the demon crawled out of the television, there wasn't so much as a inch of clean, unsoiled undergarment fabric in the place!
caper_1 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 17
RINGU > The Ring. Except for the "finding the schoolgirl in the closet" scene from the remake. But the rest of it is contrived slop that can't top the source material.

post #12 of 18 Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
For some reason, the horse/ferry scene always stood out to me.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the review, Ralph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

RINGU > The Ring. Except for the "finding the schoolgirl in the closet" scene from the remake. But the rest of it is contrived slop that can't top the source material.

To each their own. I saw original first, yet I actually prefer Verbinski's over Nakata.

What exactly is rotten in Denmark?
post #14 of 18 Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove View Post

For some reason, the horse/ferry scene always stood out to me.

Yes! Great scene!
post #15 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Has anyone compared this to the Dtheater release? I remember people saying the color tones were different

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #16 of 18 Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Maybe it's because I don't really like movie, but I'd rate it about a 43/100
post #17 of 18 Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Has anyone compared this to the Dtheater release? I remember people saying the color tones were different

I'm wondering the same thing....the DTheater copy was fantastic.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #18 of 18 Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meritocracy View Post

Thanks for the review, Ralph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

To each their own. I saw original first, yet I actually prefer Verbinski's over Nakata.

seconded.

and yeah, colors are VERY different... but i'll still get it ASAP.

uD6zCl.jpg

UUkrUl.jpg

bugger ... looks like imgur JPG'd the PNGs. just use this as a coloring guide, then, i guess

ROSfhl.jpg

4ZfCbl.jpg
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Ring Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page