The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just got around to watching this last night. Picture was very sharp and well defined. Sound came across as dynamic and atmospheric.

I am suitably impressed with the banquet of special features- so much that they get their own Blu-ray Disc!

This release is definately a gift to those who are fans of the movie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Watched this last night...really, really good movie...one of the best I've seen in quite a while.

(And Ralph...thanks for the great job on reviews...I check here pretty much daily for any new ones)

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #33 of 36 Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Amazing movie and what a soundtrack! Really impressed by the overall package.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #34 of 36 Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

(And Ralph...thanks for the great job on reviews...I check here pretty much daily for any new ones)

Greetings,

You're more than welcome Dan. We appreciate the support..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #35 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

This was the first movie that had a 4K DI workflow from start to end. For anybody who are interested in the technical side of the workflow for this movie; Here are some links;

Creative Cow; 4K DI on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

MICHAEL CIONI, CEO of post house Light Iron about 4K workflow: 4K+ Digital Intermediate

Great links! I’m sort of casually interested in the tech side of digital filmmaking. Those pages are at least a little out of my depth, but interesting nonetheless. I’ll have to read through them more thoroughly later when I’ve got more time.

Anyway, rented this last night – found it on a Redbox near where I was out for the evening (not a common find these days around here). I caught it in the theater – in part to see how the digital looked on the big screen. I really had no idea what the movie was about; never read the books or saw the other versions. Seemed like a great pick last night to see again and check out how it transferred to disc.

Honestly, it has another of those color schemes that to me seem to lend great to digital, but enforce an impression that digital just can’t pull off a really lush, rich, colorful film. I watched Chasing Mavericks the night before and was totally impressed by how well digital can do with color in that movie. I might have believed that was actually shot on film if I had not already checked. One reason why I rented it; I believed it had to be colorful considering the story.

One of the things that bothers me is the light that they seem to use a lot in the night scenes. I’m going to have to see if I can find out if there is a reason that I’ve seemed to notice so many of these digitally shot movies gravitate toward that particular lighting. Again, it just gives me this impression of digital being limited that probably isn’t deserved as much as I perceive it to be.

Beyond my gripes about the color palette which actually works for the movie; no doubt. (I knew it before I rented it what to expect.) The picture definitely has that clarity and detail that is impressive! Great example of what the RED cameras can do in low light I would say. Not that I’m an expert critic. Seems like I get the impression that the ARRI Alexa gets the nod more for its low light prowess.

The sound mix didn’t seem to employ a terrific amount of surround, but it wasn’t totally absent – her riding her scooter, etc. It almost reminded me that it was absent from so much of the rest of the movie when it did have it though.

I loved the story! It was just what I was in the mood for last night on too many levels! Great intro to Rooney Mara as well. I’ve missed her before this somehow. Looking forward to seeing more of her.
post #36 of 36 Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Im looking forward to the sequels.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Three Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page