Feature running time: 158 minutes
Genre: Mystery/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, Spanish
Starring: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Stellan Skarsgard, Christopher Plummer, Steven Berkoff, Robin Wright, Yorick VanWageningen, Joely Richardson
Directed by: David Fincher
Music by: Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
Written by: Steven Zaillan based on the book by Stieg Larsson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 20, 2012

"What is hidden in snow, comes forth in the thaw"

Film Synopsis:

Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) accepts an invitation to surreptitiously investigate a forty year old unsolved murder on behalf of the victim's uncle, Swedish industrialist Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer). Meanwhile, tattooed hacker Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), hired to investigate Blomkvist, discovers the truth behind the conspiracy that led to his fall from grace. Thrown together by fate, the unlikely duo uncovers a secret history of murder and sexual abuse festering beneath the veneer of Sweden's industrial past, all the while drawing closer to a quiet evil waiting to engulf them both.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first film in Columbia Pictures' three-picture adaptation of Stieg Larsson's literary blockbuster The Millennium Trilogy. Directed by David Fincher and starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, the film is based on the first novel in the trilogy, which altogether have sold 50 million copies in 46 countries and become a worldwide phenomenon.

My Take:

I haven't read Stieg Larsson's book series or seen the Swedish film but have heard nothing but good things about The girl with the dragon tattoo. When David Fincher's film was released in theaters last year we saw it day one. This is a gripping and edgy mystery/thriller with superbly drawn characters driven by a multi-staged narrative. The storyline essentially has three parts, the main plot surrounding the death/disappearance of Harriet Vangar and two subplots involving Mikael and Lisbeth. Later on Lisbeth and Mikel together are integrated in the primary storyline where things turn toward solving the 40 plus year old mystery of Harriet Vangar, an investigation which leads them down a dark, windy road where secrets lie at the heart of a wicked family. What they discover is something far more sinister than either of them could have imagined. Fortunately for Mikel, he has Lisbeth, whose resourcefulness and prowess makes her a viable commodity in what will soon become a deadly game of cat and mouse.

As with most of Fincher's films I found his visual style to be intriguing, beginning with the opening/title sequence and then with the use of cinematography (framing, color and panning sequences) that visually draws you in. The story/screenplay is intelligently crafted and effectively establishes the story's primary plot while fostering a viable connection to the main characters in Mikael and Lisbeth. Lisbeth's subplot is the more dominant of the two and contains many of the film's best moments. The girl with the dragon tattoo is thematically dark as it broaches subjects of redemption, violence, familial dysfunction, mental/physical abuse, and disturbing elements of torture, including rape. David Fincher's apt direction keeps the pacing on point as the film doesn't seem as long as it is at over two and a half hours. The cast consists of an excellent blend of acting talent that each brings an air of credibility to their respective characters. Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara get the bulk of the screen time. He is very good in the role of Mikael but it's the scene stealing Mara that makes the film. She makes the character her own and pulls it off with the right amount of quiet cool, angst, and taught edginess. The girl with the dragon tattoo is a thoroughly engaging film that runs the gamut as it takes us on a captivating psychological thrill ride while introducing one of the most intriguing female characters ever. I found it even more enjoyable this second time around and look forward to the next installment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brutal violent content including rape and torture, strong sexuality, graphic nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The girl with the dragon tattoo comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.4 Mbps.

This film's visual style doesn't lend itself to eye catching color or infinite levels of dimension but this is a creative decision that doesn't reflect negatively on its presentation. Shot on high definition video resolution is excellent as images are clearly rendered with appreciable detail and discerning nuance during close ups. The filtered chromatic range is purposefully limited to muted primary colors and softer secondary hues. That coupled with the drab lighting schemes and dark cinematography makes for a visually pallid but thematically affecting look. Skin tones among the cast vary and range from Rosy to pale while appearing textural and predominantly lifelike. Blacks are deep and dynamic and shadow is excellent. I didn't see any signs of video related artifacts in this whistle clean high definition presentation that looks spectacular.

The high resolution DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack features dialogue that is presented with crystal clear intonation, full bodied texture, and deep room penetration. Imaging across the front of the room is excellent as the mixture of sounds, dialogue and music is integrated with precision. The films score is distributed through the main speakers and surrounds which accents presence. The music has an enriching dynamism, clarity and sweet sounding mid range. There are moments where the track springs to life with the power of the music or the snap of a purposeful effect. Each is charged with dynamic energy and tactile bass response. This is an excellent audio presentation that successfully transitions from being raucous to subtle while positively reinforcing acoustic presence and aural dimension. It perfectly suits the thematic tone of the film and sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Audio commentary with David Fincher

• Disc 2: Disc 2

• (HD) Men who hate women - 6 minute featurette with cast/crew

• (HD) Characters (3 segments with branching featurettes) :

• Lisbeth Salander:

1. Casting Salander
    2. Different in every way
    3. The look of Salander
    4. Mara/Fincher
    5. Irene Nesser
    6. Salander test footage

• Mikael Blomkvist:

1. Casting Blomkvist
    2. Daniel Craig on film acting
    3. Dressing Blomkvist
    4. Investigation (stills)

• Martin Vangar:

1. Stellan Skarsgard on film acting
    2. Psychotherapy
    3. Bondage
    4. Torture
    5. Wrappers in plastic
    6. Set design

• (HD) On location (2 with branching featurettes) :

• Sweden (5 segments)

• Hollywood (7 segments)

• (HD) Post production

1. In the cutting room
    2. ADR (automated dialogue replacement)
    3. Main titles (3 versions) with optional commentary by Tim Miller
    4. Visual effects montage

• (HD) Promotion

1. Hard copy - 80/90's era mock episode of the tabloid show with optional commentary
    2. 7 TV Spots
    3. 4 Trailers
    4. Metal one sheet

Disc 3:

• Bonus DVD of The girl with the dragon tattoo

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=240531&d=1331834359

Final Thoughts:

The girl with the dragon tattoo is a film adaptation of the book by Stieg Larsson. It is a thoroughly engaging albeit dark film that runs the gamut as it takes us on a captivating psychological thrill ride while introducing one of the most intriguing female characters ever. Alongside David Fincher's masterful direction is a terrific cast lead by the superb performance by Academy Award nominee Rooney Mara in the title role. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, rewarding lossless sound and four hours of supplemental material that include interviews of the cast/crew, and an in-depth look behind the scenes at the production. The girl with the dragon tattoo is a must see and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ralph,

Nice review, but do yourself a favor and watch the Swedish version of the film. I felt it did a much better job of character development and had a much creepier tone to it. In the original, I suspected everyone of the murder being investigated. In the english version, it was pretty apparent who the good guys were. The romance between the 2 main characters was also much more believable.

Having watched the Swedish version, this one kind of pales in comparison.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Ralph,

Nice review, but do yourself a favor and watch the Swedish version of the film. I felt it did a much better job of character development and had a much creepier tone to it. In the original, I suspected everyone of the murder being investigated. In the english version, it was pretty apparent who the good guys were. The romance between the 2 main characters was also much more believable.

Greetings,

Thanks jcruse. I do plan on checking it out..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Ralph,

I guess I can see how someone would have that opinion.

However, I found the American version to do a much better job of following the book. Rooney Mara also played the part of Lisbeth in a way that was much closer to how the character was presented in the book.

Overall, both movies are very good but I found the American version to be superior. Given the amount of material changed/removed from the Swedish version - they are different enough that it is worth watching both versions.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
This was the first movie that had a 4K DI workflow from start to end. For anybody who are interested in the technical side of the workflow for this movie; Here are some links;

Creative Cow; 4K DI on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

MICHAEL CIONI, CEO of post house Light Iron about 4K workflow: 4K+ Digital Intermediate
post #6 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
That was such a great film to watch. I say this because it has all the elements into making a great movie. Story/plot, cast and characters the location.

Somehow i sensed who the bad guy was and the ending just confirmed it. The best part i loved was when Daniel started putting the pieces together and showing the clips, etc.

Definitely a must own if you're a fan.

Cheers
post #7 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
total nap fest
post #8 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought it was a pretty spectacular looking disc. Great contrast & blacks. It definitely has that Fincher look to it!!
post #9 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks for the review, Ralph!

I've had this one on pre-order for a while and certainly looking forward to watching it. I have the Swedish version of the three movies and they are great.

oz
post #10 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I've seen the Swedish version but ill still see this.

Frank
post #11 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'll be getting this when the price drops a bit. I really enjoyed it in the theater, and felt it was quite a bit better than the book (even though the completely changed the ending).
post #12 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was well-made, but the murder mystery part of the story was plain and predictable. I'm thinking that once I see the second one, I'll enjoy the first more.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why do they like to do f(f(x)) of movies ???

Same thing with death at the funeral too and many others.
post #14 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 536
It's rumored to be one of the first titles selected for release on the new 4k disc format coming in 2013 (at least, that's the latest date).

Hopefully, they use a new wavelet compression algorithm and don't try to shoehorn 4k video on a standard Blu-ray disc! GE Plastics and a few other manufacturers have come up with holographic disc storage. It'll be interesting to see if they move to that for a lot more usable space and speedier bit rates.

One thing though, HDMI cables won't be able to do 2160p at 48 fps or 60 fps, and those are two new frame rates now being used with digital cinematography. "The Hobbit" being one of them.

I loved Fincher's "The Social Network." The cinematography was top notch too. I'll rent this movie next week.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #15 of 36 Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Social Network PQ was meh in my opinion. Fight Club still rules in terms of PQ.

Blu-ray : 340
post #16 of 36 Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Nice review, Ralph--this is one I'm really looking forward to. I know some prefer the Swedish version but I'm not big on foreign films so I know I'll be happy with the American version.

Bob

post #17 of 36 Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I don't mind foreign films but since I have seen neither, I will start with the American version...tomorrow!!
post #18 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 AM

very good movie with awesome suspense.....
post #19 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I was surprised how good this version was! I still prefer the Swedish version, but found both enjoyable and with enough differences to keep my interest the second time around.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Watched this today. Great cast, great PQ/AQ. But I found the approach to telling the story to be a bit disjointed and harder to follow. The original gets my vote on this basis.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Watched it tonight and felt the pace of the movie was better in the English version. I enjoyed both, however.

If you liked this story, I do recommend the complete Trilogy-
The Girl who Played with Fire
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Once you see all three the story is complete.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

If you liked this story, I do recommend the complete Trilogy-
The Girl who Played with Fire
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Once you see all three the story is complete.

In total agreement with you, and while the second and third movies aren't quite as spectacular as the first, they aren't nearly as far off base as are some sequels.

oz
post #23 of 36 Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished watching the US version and Rooney Mara was outstanding as Lisbeth Salander. I didn't think there was any way she could be as good as Noomi Rapace in the Swedish version, but she was as good... just in a different way. Both of them played the part to perfection at least in my mind.

As for the US version vs the Swedish version being the better movie, I'm going to have to watch them both one more time, but in the end I think they are pretty much equal on the score card.

oz
post #24 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
After watching the this version, it makes we want to watch the trilogy.
post #25 of 36 Old 03-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Loved it--and gave it the same rating as Ralph. Totally mesmerizing throughout especially the role of Lisbeth. I have not seen the Swedish version nor read the books--but for me, everything I needed to know to enjoy and understand the movie was there. Then there are the many hours worth of special features which I have only started to take a look at--a great addition to my library!

Bob

post #26 of 36 Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I do not have the br version but found the pq is vey good vis-a-via the BR swedish version.
post #27 of 36 Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

After watching the this version, it makes we want to watch the trilogy.

I tried to watch the Swedish version a while back, made the mistake of using the English dub with English subs (a little hearing impaired) and gave up. After watching the US version I immediately went out and rented the other two in the Swedish version and watched them back to back, in Swedish with English titles--surprisingly seamless story continuity and overall excellent experience.

Steve S.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 17
My wife and I watched this on the weekend. I've read the trilogy and was looking forward to this title. I thought the story would have been a little hard to follow without background knowledge. I had to explain quite a few things to the wife (who has not read the books). Still, it was quite enjoyable.
post #29 of 36 Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I was really looking forward to seeing the US version, after viewing the Swedish trilogy last year. I came away somewhat disappointed.

For this 1st volume of the trilogy, I thought the Swedish version did a much better job of story telling - both presenting a cohesive story for the current volume, and setting up the characters for the 2 volumes to follow.

The casting of the actors in the US version was well done. Visuals, while well defined, were dark and dull. Audio dialog was well done, although this is not a film to show off your A/V equipment.

Having seen the other 2 Swedish volumes, I will skip the last two installments of the US films.

I found the 2nd part of the Swedish trilogy to be every bit as good as the 1st, I did think the third part was not as good.

I'd recommend renting and viewing the Swedish version of the film first (I preferred Swedish language with English subtitles) and then watch the US version. This will fill in some of the plot that I felt the US version skimped on, and will give a great comparison of the different approaches to movie making.
post #30 of 36 Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I'd recommend renting and viewing the Swedish version of the film first (I preferred Swedish language with English subtitles) and then watch the US version. This will fill in some of the plot that I felt the US version skimped on, and will give a great comparison of the different approaches to movie making.

You must be refering to the extended version. I saw the Swedish theatrical version, and Fincher's had more detail than it did.

I loved both takes on the story.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Three Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page