AVSForum (Blu-ray) Spotlight: Battle Royale- The Complete Collection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97

Battle Royale: The Complete Collection

Overview:

Battle Royale. A title that has shocked, thrilled and unnerved audiences. A film whose fiendishly simple premise has inspired many imitations, including the upcoming The Hunger Games motion picture. Based on the 1999 global best-seller by Koushun Takami, the futuristic tale first came to the screen in 2000, directed by the legendary Kinju Fukasaku. Authors, filmmakers and film fans the world over consider the film and its 2003 sequel Battle Royale II: Requiem sacred cinematic classics. And now, fans can own them on high-definition Blu-ray. Anchor Bay Entertainment proudly brings the Battle Royale: The Complete Collection to Blu-ray for the first time in North America. Featuring state-of-the-art HD transfers, hi-res audio and a wealth of bonus features that delve deep into this truly international phenomenon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=240954&d=1332178091"

Quick Specs:

'Battle Royale: The Complete Collection' Run Time: 368 mins, Audio Format: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (Japanese), Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (English Dubbed), Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Bonus Material:

The Making Of BATTLE ROYALE, BATTLE ROYALE Press Conference, Instructional Video: Birthday Version, Audition & Rehearsal Footage, Special Effects Comparison Featurette, Tokyo International Film Festival 2000, Battle Royale Documentary, Basketball Scene Rehearsals, Behind-The-Scenes Featurette, Filming On-Set, Original Theatrical Trailer, Special Edition TV Spot, TV Spot: Tarantino Version

Quick Thoughts:

Anchor Bay Entertainment's 'Battle Royale: The Complete Collection' debuts on Blu-ray at the right time, as the highly anticipated "The Hunger Games" is set to hit cinemas. The Hunger Games author, Suzanne Collins, has been accused of ripping off Koushun Takami's 1999 novel, Battle Royale. Both are about Government sponsored teenage human vs. human hunting. I have read The Hunger Games, not Battle Royal, but after seeing director Kinji Fukasaku film I found many undeniable similarities, however I did feel deeper social and political messages in The Hunger Games. Battle Royale is about a group of 42 ninth grade students who are taken to an abandoned island and unleashed upon each other with three days to declare one survivor or any living kids will be killed by their exploding neckband. The film created quite a stir in 2000 as it was unforgivingly brutal, and kids killing kids in this fashion is, lets face it, easy fodder to create a stir. I really dug the first film, I thought the action was great, the pacing and situations didn't feel forced and seeing these kids in this insane situation somehow had an heir of realism. What a way to get revenge on the guy who picked on you in high school, right? It felt authentic seeing how easy it was for some kids to become killers, or how some refused to kill, some protected others, how they formed their little social clique's and how under this pressure their little hormones had them admitting crushes before death. The A/V quality is decent, but the film itself is far from eye candy. The Japanese audio track had decent LFE and some interesting surround channel activity, however it was not anything to brag about. Still, it looks and sounds as I assume it was intended, and that is all you can ask of a transfer. The sequel, Battle Royale II: Requiem was not as good as the original, but still worth a viewing as it does do a decent job separating itself while continuing the story-line and it was a step above in the video department as I assume it had a bigger budget. Fans will love the collection as it has 2 versions of the original film (a theatrical and directors cut), the sequel as well as a separate disk of extra features.

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 20, 2012

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-X45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MK S-150MKII LCR
MK S-150T Tripole Surrounds
MK MX-350MKII Subwoofer
Xpand X104 3D Glasses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Picked this up release day...along with GWTDT and the Muppets....good spotlight Lee.

I'm so behind that it'll be a while before I get to it... but its on the the shelf.

Currently getting thru Game of Thrones...
post #3 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
So this is the original Hunger Games except in Japanese right?

I've only seen clips and trailers for BR but it sounds like a must see. I'll be checking out Hunger Games as well when it comes out this friday.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the notice, ran off to Amazon right after I read this...
post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

So this is the original Hunger Games except in Japanese right?

I've only seen clips and trailers for BR but it sounds like a must see. I'll be checking out Hunger Games as well when it comes out this friday.

This is much more bloodier than the Hunger Games movie.
Hunger Games is more of a thriller film, Battle Royale would probably be categorized as an exploitation film where no blood, body parts are spared.
It's a bloodbath gorefest, but the director manages to introduce comical elements, and the sadistic humor makes the film less scary than it should be.
If Battle Royale had a theater release in the states, it would at least get the R rating or even NC-17. The Hunger Games movie, sticking to a PG-13 rating, you can expect what can't be shown.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I found The Hunger Games to be lackluster and boring.
Battle Royale is a much better flick.

BTW: If, like me, you don't care about Battle Royale 2 and just want the bare bones edition
of the first movie on BD, you can order it online from Family Video for only $12.99.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

This is much more bloodier than the Hunger Games movie.
Hunger Games is more of a thriller film, Battle Royale would probably be categorized as an exploitation film where no blood, body parts are spared.
It's a bloodbath gorefest, but the director manages to introduce comical elements, and the sadistic humor makes the film less scary than it should be.
If Battle Royale had a theater release in the states, it would at least get the R rating or even NC-17. The Hunger Games movie, sticking to a PG-13 rating, you can expect what can't be shown.

Thanks for the insight. I've only seen clips and trailers for this movie but not the whole thing. Will definitely be checking this one out and do a comparison to The Hunger Games.

Btw. Saw The Hunger Games and thought it was ok. Guess if you've read the book you'll probably be more into it but i never read it.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I saw both this and the Hunger games. I don't think I will watch Battle Royale again, it's too much of an exploitation film for me. I preferred Hunger Games- more developed characters, more backstory. Some people want the gore though so they'll gravitate toward this. Different strokes for different folks. As far as who ripped off who, there were many books that came out before Battle Royale with similar ideas, so I don't think it necessarily has a moral high ground.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Ahem. Watched this about 5 years ago; time for a redux now that I just watched The Hunger Game yesterday - the latter could use more gore, being more true to the book.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Ahem. Watched this about 5 years ago; time for a redux now that I just watched The Hunger Game yesterday - the latter could use more gore, being more true to the book.

They probably did it for the rating...it would be funny to see the majority of the audience being prohibited to see the movie...
My friend sums up the experience as "Battle Royale meets Disney", I think that is a rather elaborate way to put it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Battle Royale The Complete Collection Blu Ray , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread - Battle by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page