Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
attachment.php?attachmentid=241526&d=1332600606
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 129 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, Thomas Horn, Viola Davis, Jeffrey Wright, Max Von Sydow, John Goodman, Zoe Caldwell
Directed by: Stephen Daldry
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Eric Roth based on the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 27, 2012

"If things were easy to find they wouldn’t be worth finding"

Film Synopsis:

Adapted from the acclaimed bestseller by Jonathan Safran Foer, “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” is a story that unfolds from inside the young mind of Oskar Schell, an inventive eleven year-old New Yorker whose discovery of a key in his deceased father’s belongings sets him off on an urgent search across the city for the lock it will open. A year after his father died in the World Trade Center on what Oskar calls “The Worst Day,” he is determined to keep his vital connection to the man who playfully cajoled him into confronting his wildest fears. Now, as Oskar crosses the five New York boroughs in quest of the missing lock – encountering an eclectic assortment of people who are each survivors in their own way – he begins to uncover unseen links to the father he misses, to the mother who seems so far away from him and to the whole noisy, dangerous, discombobulating world around him.

My Take:

We went to see Extremely loud and incredibly close when it was released theatrically. We knew little about it other than the story revolved around a little boy, 9/11, and that it starred Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. For me the subject of 9/11 hits very close to home both professionally and personally. We know people that lost loved ones in the World Trade Center attacks and the film’s depiction of their last contact/telephone calls struck a chord. As for the film, we loved it. Based on the 2005 novel by Jonathan Safran Foer the story revolves around Oskar, an overtly bright eleven year old who has some of social/anxiety disorder (the story alludes to inconclusive tests on him for Asperger’s syndrome) and loses his closest friend, his father, in the 9/11 attacks. By design the narrative is evocative as it tells the story from Oskar’s point of view. His character, as drawn, is someone that understand things from a narrower perspective based upon practicalities that need to make sense. For him “The worst day” was something that he needed to make sense of. He needed something tangible to give him somewhere to begin. His father would often provide him with clues to scavenger hunts that required him to interact with people in the community and together they would examine/discuss Oskars findings. Nearly one year after 9/11 Oskar found a key in his father’s closet. Along with the key he found several “clues” that must have been left for him. His task, to find the lock that the key fits. For Oskar this provided a means for him to not only try and makes sense of something that made no sense but also as a way to feel closer to his father. From this point the storyline focuses on Oskar’s devised plan, a series of connective flashback sequences involving he and his father, the estrangement he feels toward his mother and the relationships he forms during his journey to find a very small needle (the key) in a huge haystack (New York City).

In my opinion Extremely loud and incredibly close isn’t a story about 9/11 per se. It’s a story that speaks to the human condition in terms of the effects of tragic loss and the rippling currents of guilt, grief and longing that follow. In this case it’s the perceptions of a special child that shared an incredible bond with someone and after losing that person faces it the only way he can. Unfortunately for him, he experiences all of the aforementioned emotions not only through a child’s eyes but from a limited perspective where logical meaning is paramount. Eric Roth’s screenplay is superbly crafted and filled with dialogue and scene specific phrasing geared toward unleashing Oskar’s thoughts, emotions or frustration at those around him. Newcomer (first time actor!) Thomas Horn is simply amazing. He is in every scene of this film and owns them all. There is a viably rich connection to him as well as to the film’s other characters, through him. As the story’s layers are peeled back there are several integral plot points that are unveiled. Things don’t quite turn out as you might expect or hope (or maybe they do) but that really isn’t the purpose. The primary cast members in Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and Max Von Sydow give strong performances (in support of Thomas Horn in my opinion). Stephen Daldry’s direction and Chris Menges’ cinematography also equally enrich the proceedings. The end result is a powerful and emotive film that is made up of a series of meaningfully rewarding moments. Nominated for two Academy Awards one for Best Picture, Extremely loud and incredibly close is a film that some may view as exploitive or opportunistic. I didn’t see it that way at all and look forward to watching it again.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for emotional thematic material, some disturbing images and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Extremely loud and incredibly close comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

Shot digitally this film looks superb on Blu-ray Disc and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibit high level detail, razor sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is bold applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites with washing away detail. Blacks are gradational and fairly deep which helps them pop during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine and reference quality presentation that looks great.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s thematic elements. Alexandre Desplat’s music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and atmospheric sound effects, plays an intricate role in this sometimes active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the “sounds” of New York City. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thoroughly enjoyed this audio presentation and found that it accentuated the feeling of “being there” while complimenting the film’s recorded elements.

Both the audio and video presentations mimicked what I saw in the theater and together make for an excellent home theater experience.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Making Extremely loud and incredibly close - 19 minute look behind the scenes

• (HD) Finding Oskar - 7 minute featurette

• (HD) Ten years later - 11 minute retrospective

• (HD) Max Van Sydow: Dialogue with the “Renter“ - 44 minute production documentary

• Bonus DVD - Extremely loud and incredibly close

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=241527&d=1332600606

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer Extremely loud and incredibly close is a powerful and effecting drama that speaks to the human condition in terms of the effects of tragic loss and the rippling currents of guilt, grief, longing and eventually closure that follow. The story follows an eleven year old boy in his desperate search in the hopes of keeping alive the connection he shared with his father who perished on 9/11. Nominated for two Academy Awards one for Best Picture, Extremely loud and incredibly close is a film that some may view as exploitive or opportunistic. I didn’t see it that way at all. It makes its way onto Blu-ray from Warner Home Video featuring sparkling high definition audio/video quality and a disappointing (no audio commentary really?) but passable assortment of bonus features. This film is recommended viewing and has found a home in my Blu-ray library.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great review Ralph. I was on the fence about watching this one as I have grown a bit tired of 9/11 stories over the years. But after your review will be checking this out.

One note though that made me laugh out loud in you review was "Asburger's" that sounds more like some weird kinky stuff then a mental disorder.

I hope you were meaning Asperger's.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I will definitely be getting this one when it comes out!

As corny as it sounds, I lost 3 loved ones on 9/11 and yea it was hard to deal with. Curious to see how "others" in this story dealt with it

-Kevin

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastie View Post

Great review Ralph. I was on the fence about watching this one as I have grown a bit tired of 9/11 stories over the years. But after your review will be checking this out.

One note though that made me laugh out loud in you review was "Asburger's" that sounds more like some weird kinky stuff then a mental disorder.

I hope you were meaning Asperger's.

Greetings,

Absolutely meant Asperger's. One episode too many of South Park..

Corrected.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 13 Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I don't think I will check this one out. Seems like the sole purpose of this movie was to win awards. I still don't know how this was nominated for best picture when a great movie like "Drive" was snubbed.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for this review, Ralph. I was skeptical of this film when I read some reviews that felt it was exploitive of 9/11, but I find from reading your reviews that we seem to be about the same age and have similar tastes in movies....so, this sounds like one I need to rent at some point.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Saw the trailer a few times before it really got me hooked but never had the time.

Will definintely be getting this one based on this write up plus the great ensamble casts.

Cheers
post #8 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Liked: 40
In the book Oscar was nine. If Oscar is nine, then all his precociousness and all his oddities and all his vulnerability are kind of endearing.

The kid who plays Oscar in the movie is 14. He has a five o'clock shadow and a goiter.

Totally miscast. All of fourteen year old Oscar's eccentricities come of as especially whiny and pathetic.

As soon as ANY character in a movie destroys a room to demonstrate their rage and angst, I'm out. It's like fainting. It doesn't happen in real life and it's a big flashing neon sign that the writer does not know how to write their way out of an emotional escalation.

By my count, Oscar had three room smashing scenes. Jeez-o-PETE! This movie could have been so much better than it was.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
The kid's name is Oscar? That is a not-so-subtle hint at the movies intentions.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 PM

Liked: 18
When I read there was the character of a young boy named Oskar, I immediately thought of the book "The Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass. A quick google search reveals that I am not the only one to make the connection.

The character in Grass's book, in reacting to the horrors of war, decides to stop growing, and so he does. "The Tin Drum" was one of my favorite novels from my college years.

I suspect the name is not a coincidence, but not related to the Oscars, but to Oskar, the character in "The Tin Drum."
post #11 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
My copy of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close arrived today and being very anxious to see it, I put it in the player right after finishing dinner. WOW... what a powerful presentation it was. It's all serious drama with just a bit of humor thrown in, but I don't see how it could have been any better. The video and audio were top notch as well. Those that don't like dramatic movies might want to pass on it, but other than that you can't go wrong with this one.

Thanks for the review and thanks for recommending it, Ralph... I'm most pleased to have this in my collection! cool.gif

oz
post #12 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

My copy of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close arrived today and being very anxious to see it, I put it in the player right after finishing dinner. WOW... what a powerful presentation it was. It's all serious drama with just a bit of humor thrown in, but I don't see how it could have been any better. The video and audio were top notch as well. Those that don't like dramatic movies might want to pass on it, but other than that you can't go wrong with this one.
Thanks for the review and thanks for recommending it, Ralph... I'm most pleased to have this in my collection! cool.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it oz. Enjoy! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 11
I didn't see Flight 93 or World Trade Center. I am not going to see this movie, either.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page