AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I would if it wasn't for the war scenes. Good demo material

Just go to "no mans land" and crank it. Holy crap is that impressive.

I did like the movie a lot and it was shot beautifully.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I enjoyed this movie 3 day's ago,
the sound was pretty good. All though it made me cry,it must be because i'm getting older lol. I just order it off of amazon still was $30.
I have to agree,it was slow at start of the movie and it has to bring out the story line not just shoot'em up bang bang . This will go into my blu ray section for sure. I say buy it.
post #33 of 42 Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I wasn't going to purchase this one but found a great deal on it and went for it, so it's in my collection now.

Hoping to watch it in the next day, or two.

Thanks for the great review, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
post #34 of 42 Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Okay, watched War Horse last night and liked it quite a lot. The audio track during the war scenes was quite spectacular. I read up on the making of this movie right after watching it and was glad to learn that great care was taken not to harm the animals involved. cool.gif

oz
post #35 of 42 Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I'm a bit late to the party again, but "War Horse " was beyond well worth the wait and has got to be the one of the best movie experiences I and the wife have had to date. And yes it should win some kind of award for this level of movie making which but a lost art form save the few who have the talent necessary to do so. If it pulled on your emotions, well that was the whole point, just good story telling with the aid of sound effects and pictures.

As for the PQ its superb and easily warrants a 95 or above rating!

Audio!! Its the new "king of the Hill" I literally shuttered in my seat at the visceral assault from all around ( I really felt pinned in)eek.gif any easy new category defining 100+wink.gif And with the superb musical score mixed in, it provides an anchor to tie it all together.

hooray for Hollywood!!
post #36 of 42 Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'm a bit late to the party again, but "War Horse " was beyond well worth the wait and has got to be the one of the best movie experiences I and the wife have had to date. And yes it should win some kind of award for this level of movie making which but a lost art form save the few who have the talent necessary to do so. If it pulled on your emotions, well that was the whole point, just good story telling with the aid of sound effects and pictures.
Audio!! Its the new "king of the Hill" I literally shuttered in my seat at the visceral assault from all around ( I really felt pinned in)eek.gif any easy new category defining 100+wink.gif And with the superb musical score mixed in, it provides an anchor to tie it all together.
hooray for Hollywood!!

Its a fantastic film definitely worth adding to the collection.

Frank

post #37 of 42 Old 08-23-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

hooray for Hollywood!!

Greetings,

Glad to hear it audiofan1. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #38 of 42 Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
Glad to hear it audiofan1. smile.gif
Regards,

Keep up the good work Ralph! Spot on review.

Regards Jeff
post #39 of 42 Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Keep up the good work Ralph! Spot on review.
Regards Jeff

Greetings,

Thanks Jeff..wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #40 of 42 Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Its a fantastic film definitely worth adding to the collection.

Indeed it's worthy!
post #41 of 42 Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Liked: 10
The audio of this film alone is worth your time to experience.
I cannot recall ever hearing my system put out such tight explosive bass from the rear, as if my single front & center sub woofer sprouted twins, rear left and right.
I know, bass is non directional.
However, those explosions went off behind me, to the left, to the right, in front.
I felt moved and disturb by the realism.
My system regularly delivers on action films, xbox360 war games, SciFi, etc.
Give it a try and turn it up. You'll be surprised.
post #42 of 42 Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
I think this might have been the first movie that I caught in the ‘Director’s Suites’ at the local theater. http://www.warrentheatres.com/mooredsuites.asp Crazy expensive, but seemed like the perfect movie to splurge on seeing there. I had a bad seat too if I recall; this might have been the one that I got slammed up too close to the screen to really get the full value of the luxury screening room. Learned my lesson on it though; you can reserve your seat and it is advised to do so to get the full value.

I was far more emotionally drawn into the story seeing it that first time than what I thought I might be. Unexpectedly so frankly; despite being a dog lover and generally being an animal lover – I was skeptical about feeling a kinship to what I perceived as a movie about a horse and a person who loved his horse.

I spotted it on Redbox while cruising for Blu-ray discs over the weekend and thought I would check it out again and see how that film transferred over to Blu-ray. I would have to disagree that the costumes lent to a drab tone – I found them to play along with those uber rich green English countryside vistas. I specifically noted that they appeared in more rich tones of green and beige wool I’m guessing maybe. IDK, but they seemed to carry a theme to me anyway. Rich earthy tones possibly?

I’m a bit tuned into the Devon region having been a huge fan of Joss Stone early on and now Rosie Huntington Whiteley. I’m not expertly familiar with the region, but having never travelled to Europe – it is one area that I know at least a little about. I’m not even sure this was filmed in Devon, but it added to the charm for me. I can’t imagine that they didn’t actually film some of those countryside scenes anywhere else. Beautiful!

I’m as much of an animal lover as the next person as mentioned, but since it was made a topic – my opinion was that the ‘animal cruelty’ was just part of the story of war. There wasn’t any sparing of cruelty to the humans subjected to the conditions of war. Why would there be any sugarcoating of the treatment of the animals? It was part of the story that the horse survived the same terror of wartime that the soldiers survived. Even the doctor at the end referenced the horse as deserving to be treated as the soldier that he had been.

Speaking of the war depiction; I have to agree that the sound effects of the wartime scenes were pretty impressive! It sort of sneaks up on you while you’re watching this movie and it’s got all the normal surround sounds, etc. and then all of the sudden – you’re in the battle and the explosions start going off. It’s like you’re not already jaded or acclimated to a lfe loaded movie and when they do hit; it has more of an impact. It really added to the overall experience of the movie in a way that was complimentary to the story.

It was more than worth renting to see it again. I’m not sure I’m in love with it enough to purchase it, but if I were looking for something that showed off what I might consider a reference level visually of earthy tones – I don’t know that I’ve seen a disc yet that has represented those like this did for me. The sound was pretty impressive too as noted.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , War Horse Blu Ray E Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page