Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
attachment.php?attachmentid=239121&d=1330713812
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay Films - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Documentary

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Roger Corman, Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, Peter Bogdanovich, Peter Fonda, Martin Scorsese, Jonathan Demme, Ron Howard, Robert De Niro and David Carradine
Directed by: Alex Stapleton
Music by: Air
Written by: Alex Stapleton
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 27, 2012

"Some Men Dream of Conquering the World. Roger Corman Created His Own."

Film Synopsis:

A detailed documentary on the life and work of the "King Of the B films", Roger Corman.

My Take:

Director of over 50 films, producer of over 400, Roger Corman, like is work or hate it, has influenced generations of independent film makers and horror/sci-fi buffs for over 50 years. In 2010 he was awarded an Honorary Oscar for "his rich engendering of films and filmmakers." He was behind such films as The Little Shop of Horrors, House of Usher, The Fast and the Furious, Caged Heat, Big Bad Mama, Piranha and Rock 'n' Roll High School...and those are some of his better works. The majority of his catalog is terrible, and recently he has been making STV movies for SyFy that are so bad it’s embarrassing. But Roger Corman doesn't care, he has always and will always do things his way, away from the big studios and have fun in the process.

Corman’s World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel exceeded my expectations ten fold, showing a man I did not expect. Hailed as the “King of the bs” and a cult favorite to fans of outlaw American cinema and the horror crowd, I expected an oddball, dark strange guy, not the thoughtful, soft spoken and kind man presented here. A testament to this man's reach is the outpouring of who's who that are in this documentary. Martin Scorsese, Jack Nicholson, Robert De Niro, Jonathan Demme, Ron Howard, David Carradine, Peter Fonda, William Shatner, Pam Grier, John Sayles, Brett Ratner, Bruce Dern, Paul W.S. Anderson, Peter Bogdanovich, Eli Roth and many more actors and filmmakers show their respect and thank thank him for his help in jump-starting their careers.

Rightfully heralded as one of the best documentaries of 2011, Corman’s World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel was much better than anticipated and really did paint a picture of a man I would have always thought to be completely different. Sometimes heartwarming, sometimes sad but always inspiring, this is a must see for lovers of cinema and documentary, and more importantly, fans of Mr Corman's work.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for some violent images, nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Video: 84

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Corman's World comes Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment & Starz featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.2 mbps and Dolby TrueHD sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 mbps

Packed with archival footage, newly filmed interview segments as well as clips of black and white and color films, Corman's World sure does the best it could with all of these elements. It also handles the sound with grace and ease, making the low budget low fidelity sound OK on this lossless track. Colors and detail are what we would expect from the newer footage, but this is never a reference image. It does all it needs to do video and audio-wise. The Dolby TrueHD never left me wanting for a word, and this is key as dialogue is 99% of this soundtrack.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Extended Interviews

• (HD) Special Messages to Roger

• (HD) Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel Trailer

Final Thoughts:

Corman's World is a 90 minute film class. It's also 90 minutes of pure class from a man you might not expect it from. Roger Corman is a visionary in terms of working his own system within the Hollywood system. All but one of his films made money, and that alone is an amazing achievement considering his hand was in over 450 films. This Documentary delivers in what it set out to do, show the true Corman, show his reach in the film community and pay tribute to the man as well. This is a must see for lovers of cinema and documentary, and more importantly, fans of Mr Corman's work.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Denon AVR 4311 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MK Sound S-150MKII LCR
MK Sound S-150T Tripole Surrounds
MK Sound MX-350MKII Subwoofer

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I think you just might find that the majority of folks here have a tremendous amount of respect for Roger Corman. The guy got an Honorary Oscar from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for crying out loud!

I've been looking forward to this documentary as soon as I heard about it. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

I've been looking forward to this documentary as soon as I heard about it.

Same here. Can't wait to see this!

- my electro-industrial music project

post #4 of 7 Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the review, Mr. Weber. I might have passed this by, but your insights have piqued my interest.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post

Thanks for the review, Mr. Weber. I might have passed this by, but your insights have piqued my interest.

You are welcome.

Lee

post #6 of 7 Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Glad you enjoyed it. I've had this on pre-order since it was announced. Having worked in a repertoire cinema while in college, I know many of Corman's films and am looking forward to seeing more of the man behind them.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Watched this yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a must-see for film buffs or anyone who grew up in the 50's, 60's or 70's. It's hard to imagine what the film world would be like today without all the people who got started working for Corman.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Cormans World Exploits Of A Hollywood Rebel Blu Ray , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread - Cormans by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page