Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 156 Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Him hanging on the building. Must be backdrop is blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hated MI:3 and almost passed on going to see Ghost Protocol, but glad I didn't, because I enjoyed it quite a bit. Will be picking up the Blu Ray; surprised they went Dolby TrueHD with this one, since every other release seems to be DTS-MA these days.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #33 of 156 Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Great movie with great action! WOW
post #34 of 156 Old 04-07-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Him hanging on the building. Must be backdrop is blue.

Nope. He really did do that.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/wat...ol-featurette/
post #35 of 156 Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Nope. He really did do that.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/wat...ol-featurette/

That's good stuff.

Frank
post #36 of 156 Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I wish they would release a imax shifting ar one

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #37 of 156 Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

Hated MI:3 and almost passed on going to see Ghost Protocol, but glad I didn't, because I enjoyed it quite a bit. Will be picking up the Blu Ray; surprised they went Dolby TrueHD with this one, since every other release seems to be DTS-MA these days.

Paramount / DreamWorks appears to do well with TrueHD than DTS HD MA. Although both should sound identical, for some reason Paramount appears to using TrueHD on famous titles and giving it a special treatment. Maybe, it is due to bit rate limitation to accommodate multiple audio tracks on their overseas releases.

Blu-ray : 340
post #38 of 156 Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
for some reason not satisfied with the story...
post #39 of 156 Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

for some reason not satisfied with the story...

Wait how many more years?
post #40 of 156 Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 16
Loved the film, but hated that last 5 mins when it becomes mi:3 again
post #41 of 156 Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Thanks for the review Ralph, although you are quite articulate when it comes to your audio/video commentary, and believe me, I really appreiate all your comments, I would like to see you elaborate on why the PQ, for example in this particular title, did not warrant a higher score.....

I watched this movie on Saturday and I did notice some "noise" in the picture......two scenes that come to mind are when they are in the jet talking about the magnet suit, look at the walls behind them. There seems to be some "blotching" or unevenness to the walls, it is also very noticeable in the team's Dubai hideout, where the walls again show some "odd" looking video anomaly....I do not know what the exact technical term might be for this.

Hidef Digest review by Michael S. Palmer, just confirmed what I saw on Saturday's viewing of this film.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6566...ssible_gp.html

"In terms of flaws, while the only thing on the first disc is the film and its soundtracks, I did find one compression issue: banding. I noticed it in the scenes where we get to the team's Dubai hideout. Being smoky, darkly lit, and filled with about 800 variations on the color brown, I noticed a couple subtle, blocky bands in the background walls and stairs. Not the end of the world, really, and pretty hard to find, but there if you look closely."

Would love to hear more comments on why a title falls short of perfect, if perfect even exists.

Thanks again,
Big Fan

Paul
post #42 of 156 Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Paul,

Banding can be caused by many things and is most likely equipment/calibration related. Can you give me the exact time stamp and I'll check on tow different systems in my house (JVC front projector and a plasma). Both have been calibrated to D65 and I should be able to tell whether it's on the disc or not. A third test I can run is on my computer monitor, which is also calibrated to D65, but because of the LCD technology, it is much more prone to banding than either one of my other displays.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #43 of 156 Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Dave, good to talk to you again.

I would not call it "banding" by any means, as it was originally refered to by Michael S. Palmer over at Hidef Digest. It just seems more like "block noise", as sometimes seen in overly compressed Sat/Cable HD transmissions with images in the background.

Sorry I rented the movie, so I do not have a time stamp to give you, however, if you look at those two scenes as I described them in my post above (each scene is only about 2 minutes), the video anomaly is quite noticeable. Again, I am pickier than most, and I always trust what I see on my display.

For what it's worth, I have a 60" Pioneer Kuro, that has been professionally calibrated and I use my Oppo BDP93 as my source player.

Paul
post #44 of 156 Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

I would not call it "banding" by any means, as it was originally refered to by Michael S. Palmer over at Hidef Digest. It just seems more like "block noise", as sometimes seen in overly compressed Sat/Cable HD transmissions with images in the background.

Sorry I rented the movie, so I do not have a time stamp to give you, however, if you look at those two scenes as I described them in my post above (each scene is only about 2 minutes), the video anomaly is quite noticeable. Again, I am pickier than most, and I always trust what I see on my display.

For what it's worth, I have a 60" Pioneer Kuro, that has been professionally calibrated and I use my Oppo BDP93 as my source player.

Paul

Out of interest Paul. What combination of Color Space and Deep Color are you using in your Oppo? Are you going direct to the KURO for picture or via an AVR?

This is just to see if you are seeing the same thing i am.
post #45 of 156 Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Paul

Paul, I've made note of the scenes and will check on my displays tonight. From your setup, I doubt it's any of your equipment

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #46 of 156 Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:

Paul

Greetings,

Paul, I don't recall any extraneous noise and my notes don't relfect it either but I will go over those scenes again and report back.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #47 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,
Starman7, the Oppo 93 is set to "RGB" colour space with "source direct" for resolution. Bob pariseau and I went through some great lenghts to try to get the best out of the Oppo based on his "Ratatouille" scene.....see the Oppo threads regarding this. As for my pre amp the Integra DHC 80.3 it is set to pass the HDMI signal "untouched".

Dave and Ralph, when looking at those scenes, keep your eyes in the backgrounds (walls, objects etc,) this is where the extraneous noise shows up.

Looking forward to your conclusions.

Paul
post #48 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Hi guys,
Starman7, the Oppo 93 is set to "RGB" colour space with "source direct" for resolution. Bob pariseau and I went through some great lenghts to try to get the best out of the Oppo based on his "Ratatouille" scene.....see the Oppo threads regarding this. As for my pre amp the Integra DHC 80.3 it is set to pass the HDMI signal "untouched". Paul

Thanks Paul.
Yes, familiar with the "Ratatouile" test myself.
So you have it set to "RGB" (is that "RGB VIDEO LEVEL"?) and what about the DEEP COLOUR setting?

Thanks again.

Cheers, Starman7
post #49 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

^^ Yes, RGB video level, deep colour OFF. It is quite noticeable how smooth that ramp pattern in the Ratatouille scene is with these settings on MY SETUP. Some other Kuro owners have also confirmed these settings as the perferred choice.

Paul
post #50 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Hi guys,
Starman7, the Oppo 93 is set to "RGB" colour space with "source direct" for resolution. Bob pariseau and I went through some great lenghts to try to get the best out of the Oppo based on his "Ratatouille" scene.....see the Oppo threads regarding this. As for my pre amp the Integra DHC 80.3 it is set to pass the HDMI signal "untouched".

Dave and Ralph, when looking at those scenes, keep your eyes in the backgrounds (walls, objects etc,) this is where the extraneous noise shows up.

Looking forward to your conclusions.

Paul

Greetings,

Paul, I just went through the sequence on the plane and the entire sequence in Dubai. I didn't observe any "noise" in the image/background walls. Over Simon Pegg's shoulder on the plane the wall is two toned but solid and noise free.

I don't know what to make of what you're seeing.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #51 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

^^ Yes, RGB video level, deep colour OFF. It is quite noticeable how smooth that ramp pattern in the Ratatouille scene is with these settings on MY SETUP. Some other Kuro owners have also confirmed these settings as the perferred choice.

Paul

Yes, I agree. I too found RGB Video Level to be the best Color Space setting on my Oppo BDP-95 into my Pioneer KURO. However, even with the "Ratatouile" scene I could NOT detect any difference in the banding / ramp pattern no matter which Deep Color setting I chose. I left it on 36 bit.

REALLY want that Mission Impossible Best Buy Exclusive!
post #52 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Paul, I just went through the sequence on the plane and the entire sequence in Dubai. I didn't observe any "noise" in the image/background walls. Over Simon Pegg's shoulder on the plane the wall is two toned but solid and noise free.

I don't know what to make of what you're seeing.

Regards,

Hi Ralph, thanks again for the effort.....I really do not know what to say, except that I was not the only one who saw this.
The fact that Michael S. Palmer, at Hidef Digest confirmed what I saw on my Saturday's viewing of this film, is making me think that it might perhaps be just a few bad disks.???
I'll wait for some others to reply here.......btw, you tested this on your projector, did you not? I wonder if this is more apparent on a plasma or LCD.

Paul
post #53 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi Paul, while I understand how reviewers have this already, I have to ask how you were able to rent this so early?
post #54 of 156 Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Hi Ralph, thanks again for the effort.....I really do not know what to say, except that I was not the only one who saw this.
The fact that Michael S. Palmer, at Hidef Digest confirmed what I saw on my Saturday's viewing of this film, is making me think that it might perhaps be just a few bad disks.???
I'll wait for some others to reply here.......btw, you tested this on your projector, did you not? I wonder if this is more apparent on a plasma or LCD.

Paul

Greetings,

Paul, I did view it on my projector. Dave V. will be able to comment regarding what he sees on his plasma.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #55 of 156 Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 AM

Thanks for your beautiful Review, that is simply awesome movie and the writer really did its well in writing it. But, actors and director--over all member of team did their best in this movie. It is heart touching movie i will see it again as soon i have leisure time again
post #56 of 156 Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Hi Paul, while I understand how reviewers have this already, I have to ask how you were able to rent this so early?

A near by independant video rental store in Toronto , Canada hey!

Paul
post #57 of 156 Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Paramount / DreamWorks appears to do well with TrueHD than DTS HD MA. Although both should sound identical, for some reason Paramount appears to using TrueHD on famous titles and giving it a special treatment. Maybe, it is due to bit rate limitation to accommodate multiple audio tracks on their overseas releases.

Dreamworks seems to exclusively use TRUEHD. Paramount seems mostly DTS-MA, but they have TRUEHD on certain releases. Not sure the rhyme or reason?

Then again, with Dreamworks now being distributed via Disney (War Horse) seems they may be going DTSMA.
post #58 of 156 Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Im hoping to pick this up today or tomorrow.

Frank
post #59 of 156 Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Paul

I just watched my copy, and I don't see what it was that you saw.

If this condition persists I suggest that you see a doctor.

lol
post #60 of 156 Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A near by independant video rental store in Toronto , Canada hey!

Paul

Nice! I am in Cambridge, On. but will have to wait until tomorrow.
cheers,
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page