Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 156 Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Paul,

The noise is there on my LCD monitor, but can't be seen by my plasma (fed by a PS3) or on my front projector (Oppo BDP-95). It almost looks like some type of dithering.

David

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

Hated MI:3 and almost passed on going to see Ghost Protocol, but glad I didn't, because I enjoyed it quite a bit. Will be picking up the Blu Ray; surprised they went Dolby TrueHD with this one, since every other release seems to be DTS-MA these days.

HATED MI3?

Wow, not many of you around.

Has gotten nearly unanimous praise from those I know.

To each his own, I guess.

Can't wait to get MI4 today. Kept off watching it in the theaters to save it for MINE, lol.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #63 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Paul,

The noise is there on my LCD monitor, but can't be seen by my plasma (fed by a PS3) or on my front projector (Oppo BDP-95). It almost looks like some type of dithering.

David

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. Ignore the PM I sent you.

Why do you think this is the case?, ie. projectors don't seem to display it, Ralph and yourself have attested to this. Yet, your LCD and PS3 combo, as well as my plasma (Kuro) and Oppo 93 seem to exhibit the dithering in those scenes.

Paul
post #64 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

HATED MI3?

Wow, not many of you around.

Has gotten nearly unanimous praise from those I know.

To each his own, I guess.

Can't wait to get MI4 today. Kept off watching it in the theaters to save it for MINE, lol.

James

I loved MI 3. Like you i didn't see MI4 in the theatre awaiting to watch it at home. Im hoping to pick it up for $17.95 not $33+ as some shops are asking for over here.

Frank

post #65 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Great movie, action all the way & awesome sound track, the Gun shots have real punch to them..

Tom is one sick man with plenty of Ball$ after learning it was him actually pulling off the Skyscraper scene!! he's gained my respect ..
post #66 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. Ignore the PM I sent you.

Why do you think this is the case?, ie. projectors don't seem to display it, Ralph and yourself have attested to this. Yet, your LCD and PS3 combo, as well as my plasma (Kuro) and Oppo 93 seem to exhibit the dithering in those scenes.

Paul

I think it's display/setup dependent. Believe it or not, there's this type of dithering on almost every disc since there's compression involved. Certain factors will show it off more than others.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #67 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
If i remember correctly didn't public enemy have the same issue?

Frank

post #68 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Great movie, action all the way & awesome sound track, the Gun shots have real punch to them..

Tom is one sick man with plenty of Ball$ after learning it was him actually pulling off the Skyscraper scene!! he's gained my respect ..

^ yeah nothing has rubbed me the wrong way in hollywood over the last half decade than the mindless tom cruise bashing. To me, his biggest crime is being tom cruise, always has.

When you look at the guys full body of work, there's not many around with the hits or performances he's had over the last 25 years...

The MI's
Valkyrie
War of the Worlds
Collateral
Minority Report
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Jerry Maguire
Interview with the Vampire
A Few Good Men
Far and Away
Days of Thunder
Born on the Fourth of July
Rain Man
The Color of Money
Top Gun
Risky Business

Not all smashes or Academy roles/performances, but very solid in this day and age of hollywood.

rant over.

James

post #69 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

^ yeah nothing has rubbed me the wrong way in hollywood over the last half decade than the mindless tom cruise bashing. To me, his biggest crime is being tom cruise, always has.

When you look at the guys full body of work, there's not many around with the hits or performances he's had over the last 25 years...

The MI's
Valkyrie
War of the Worlds
Collateral
Minority Report
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Jerry Maguire
A Few Good Men
Far and Away
Days of Thunder
Rain Man
The Color of Money
Top Gun
Risky Business

Not all smashes or Academy roles/performances, but very solid in this day and age of hollywood.

rant over.

James

Couldn't agree more! Good post
post #70 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^ yeah and without turning this thread into a TC love-letter I can't leave out "Cocktail" one of my all-time guilty pleasures.

James

post #71 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

The MI's
Valkyrie
War of the Worlds
Collateral
Minority Report
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Jerry Maguire
A Few Good Men
Far and Away
Days of Thunder
Rain Man
The Color of Money
Top Gun
Risky Business

rant over.

James

One of my favorite Cruise performances was in Collateral. Thought he did a great job in that one.

I agree with many of the posters above...I loved Mi3. My favorite followed by Mi4 now.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #72 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 16
Mi2 and mi4 are my favorites now... mi3 is ok, but doesn't do it for me. Felt like i was watching felicity or alias. (For the record, I do like JJ)
post #73 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

^ yeah and without turning this thread into a TC love-letter I can't leave out "Cocktail" one of my all-time guilty pleasures.

James

replace the word cocktail with Days of thunder and i agree
Just grabbed a copy of ghost to try out tonight. Been playing with settings all day time to sit back and enjoy.
post #74 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Anyone else notice the considerable compression artifacts during the Dubai dust storm? Posterization was pretty obvious in several shots.
post #75 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

As I said in the other "non review" thread this has to be near the top of the heap- all time- in the all around audio dept. No hype, just being honest.

I though something in my home exploded when the screen went black at the end of the kremlin scene.

Movie was great.

As for the sandstorm scene- yeah, I though I noticed some odd behavior that I would best describe as some kind of banding...weird.

I would have paced it back but I had guests and we were having a great time with it.

Seemingly a mountain that a 5th installment would have a terribly tough time traversing, IMO.

To me, nearly the perfect reason why we spend so much time and money on this shtuff!

James

post #76 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi Dave, good to talk to you again.

I would not call it "banding" by any means, as it was originally refered to by Michael S. Palmer over at Hidef Digest. It just seems more like "block noise", as sometimes seen in overly compressed Sat/Cable HD transmissions with images in the background.

Sorry I rented the movie, so I do not have a time stamp to give you, however, if you look at those two scenes as I described them in my post above (each scene is only about 2 minutes), the video anomaly is quite noticeable. Again, I am pickier than most, and I always trust what I see on my display.

For what it's worth, I have a 60" Pioneer Kuro, that has been professionally calibrated and I use my Oppo BDP93 as my source player.

Paul

I second these comments... I took note of this when watching this for the first time tonight.

I noticed the "blockiness" in the dark opening sequence with the fuse. It seemed to only be on dark scenes in the background.

This was with a Panny 7000U and Oppo 93, brand new high speed HDMI direct to projector out of HDMI 1.

FWIW, the projector only has ~100 hours on it and hasn't been calibrated yet, but I haven't noticed this on any other discs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks Ralph, going to grab this one to add to the collection!

Anyone know if the MI Trilogy that's on sale at BB this week is this quality as well? I saw mixed reviews and I'd love to be able to pick them all up on Blu for 20 dollars!
post #78 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate View Post

I second these comments... I took note of this when watching this for the first time tonight.

I noticed the "blockiness" in the dark opening sequence with the fuse. It seemed to only be on dark scenes in the background.

This was with a Panny 7000U and Oppo 93, brand new high speed HDMI direct to projector out of HDMI 1.

FWIW, the projector only has ~100 hours on it and hasn't been calibrated yet, but I haven't noticed this on any other discs.

I saw it too with my Mitsubishi DLP 73738/Oppo 95 settings are 1080p, 24(on) RBG video level/30bits(deep color), with that being said the picture was fantastic and easy to lose ones self in.

Now the audio 100 is dead on the money, I only discovered that it was True HD when I removed the disc from the player No disrespect to Dolby of course, but DTS seemed to have gained a leg up over the last 3 years or so in the Home Theater arena, but this has to be the most natural sounding, convincing mix in sometime and is long over due. We all know that DTS Master and Dolby True HD can deliver the goods on bass slam and sheer uncut dynamics But the addition of audiophile fidelity has tamed the beast and cleaned it up and made it presentable Kudos to Dolby True HD on this one. It's now on my top five of all time
post #79 of 156 Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bought the Best Buy version for the extras and watched it tonight... Image quality is stunning. While I would have liked the dual IMAX video format like TDK, the single format used was fine and did not detract from the overall experience. As for the audio, the 7.1 sound was amazing.

Say what you will, Tom Cruise has a tremendous amount of guts and talent and as was previously mentioned he has a large breadth of quality work (love Collateral).

Brad Bird's first live action film was nothing short of outstanding. He has a good eye and whether animation (The Incredibles, Iron Giant), or live action, Brad Bird has the innate ability to put a good story on film. I am sure he is in high demand as a result of MI4. It was interesting to note in the supplemental material how helpful Tom Cruise was towards Mr. Bird at times on the set during filming and his added live action expertise pays off in the final look and feel of the film.

Definitely a must buy.
post #80 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I saw it too with my Mitsubishi DLP 73738/Oppo 95 settings are 1080p, 24(on) RBG video level/30bits(deep color), with that being said the picture was fantastic and easy to lose ones self in.

Now the audio 100 is dead on the money, I only discovered that it was True HD when I removed the disc from the player No disrespect to Dolby of course, but DTS seemed to have gained a leg up over the last 3 years or so in the Home Theater arena, but this has to be the most natural sounding, convincing mix in sometime and is long over due. We all know that DTS Master and Dolby True HD can deliver the goods on bass slam and sheer uncut dynamics But the addition of audiophile fidelity has tamed the beast and cleaned it up and made it presentable Kudos to Dolby True HD on this one. It's now on my top five of all time

+1
Forgot to mention the audio!

I actually jumped a few times with some of the surprise slams or explosions. Some of the best surround mixing I've heard. The surround rears were very active, but well blended. Absolutely 100 on the audio.

Also, did anyone else notice a yellowish tint to Cruise's facial skin tone in the last scenes? When the camera flipped between the closeup of the woman and Cruise at the end, her skin tone was fine and his had a very yellowish tint, so I don't think it was the projector settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #81 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:

[List of credits elided.]

rant over.

Although I don't think highly of Cruise's acting talent, I agree that he has starred in a remarkable number of fine movies over the years, most recently MI4. After watching almost every one of his films I think that it was very good and Cruise didn't ruin it after all. More seriously, I don't think twice about going to see a Tom Cruise movie. The chances always are that it will be pretty good.
post #82 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi ADDUpstate, audiofan1 & rdgrimes,
Glad to see I am not the only one..... for a minute there I thought I rented a "bad disk". I assume you guys read all the posts regarding this issue, they start with my post on pg 2.
I really would like to have Dave Vaughan submit something to the studios so that they are aware of this. Much like you ADDUpstate, I have never come across a new recent/older release that had this issue.

Paul
post #83 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 222
It's basically just poor execution on the compression. Even an inexperienced video technician knows that those type scenes require a high bitrate to avoid it. The rental disc is 39GB with no extras, so clearly they had enough room to do better. Not sure how much room is available on the retail disc. In any case they could have allocated more bits for those scenes without harming anything.
post #84 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Bad compression... That's what I would describe it as.

It looked like a buffering issue on internet downloads.

I was somewhat looking for it after reading this thread, but I was surprised to see it show up in the opening credits/scene. It really is too bad, as the audio is fantastic.

When I reflect back on the video quality, nothing of note really jumps out at me like some other movies do. Detail was so-so in a lot of scenes. For example, think about these two scenes in Casino Royale... When Daniel Craig gets off the plane in the Bahamas, and at the end, when Mr. White pulls up in his Jaguar and walks around the car... Both scenes resonate in my mind as some of the most pristine video on BD to date.

Nothing stuck with me like that in MI4.

Too bad I can't return this disc and wait until they eventually release an IMAX version with hopefully better production.

post #85 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

^^ Completely agree rdgrimes....Another thing that I find interesting is that all of the people who were able to see these video "anomalies" have some sort of Oppo player 93 or 95. I wonder if the Oppo's just seem to be more revealing of this type of content?!

I think I may post on the Oppo 93 thread to see if anyone else spots this. Dave Vaughan actually saw this on his LCD but not on his Plasma/PS3 combo. It seems that projectors regardless of the BD player do not show this.

Paul
post #86 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

It seems that projectors regardless of the BD player do not show this.

I have an LCD PJ (AE7000 480hz 3D). I previewed the disk last night, and didn't notice anything offhand. I'll keep this in mind when I watch the whole film, and try to report back. The sound so far has been stellar!
post #87 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The MI's
Valkyrie
War of the Worlds
Collateral
Minority Report
Magnolia
Eyes Wide Shut
Jerry Maguire
A Few Good Men
Far and Away
Days of Thunder
Rain Man
The Color of Money
Top Gun
Risky Business

rant over.

James

Don't forget 'Tropic Thunder'. Small role, but very memorable. Cruise certainly has more range than the likes of Clooney and Pitt, other mega stars that come to mind right way.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #88 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

+1
Forgot to mention the audio!

I actually jumped a few times with some of the surprise slams or explosions. Some of the best surround mixing I've heard. The surround rears were very active, but well blended. Absolutely 100 on the audio.

+1, to be honest I don't really remember a sound mix so good that made me jump The wife jumped and gasped

Also, did anyone else notice a yellowish tint to Cruise's facial skin tone in the last scenes? When the camera flipped between the closeup of the woman and Cruise at the end, her skin tone was fine and his had a very yellowish tint, so I don't think it was the projector settings.

A reviewing is a must I'll have to check the for the yellow tint !
post #89 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^ Completely agree rdgrimes....Another thing that I find interesting is that all of the people who were able to see these video "anomalies" have some sort of Oppo player 93 or 95. I wonder if the Oppo's just seem to be more revealing of this type of content?!

I think I may post on the Oppo 93 thread to see if anyone else spots this. Dave Vaughan actually saw this on his LCD but not on his Plasma/PS3 combo. It seems that projectors regardless of the BD player do not show this.

Paul

Interesting observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I have an LCD PJ (AE7000 480hz 3D). I previewed the disk last night, and didn't notice anything offhand. I'll keep this in mind when I watch the whole film, and try to report back. The sound so far has been stellar!

I have the AE7000U paired with the Oppo 93, and I definitely saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

A reviewing is a must I'll have to check the for the yellow tint !

Will be interested in the result.

post #90 of 156 Old 04-18-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:

Hi ADDUpstate, audiofan1 & rdgrimes,
Glad to see I am not the only one..... for a minute there I thought I rented a "bad disk". I assume you guys read all the posts regarding this issue, they start with my post on pg 2.
I really would like to have Dave Vaughan submit something to the studios so that they are aware of this. Much like you ADDUpstate, I have never come across a new recent/older release that had this issue.

Paul

Greetings,

Had this been something that I observed I wouldn't have any trouble alerting the studio, the same goes for Dave. The problem is that Dave saw it on one of his three displays but not the other two, using the same disc. This more than likely wouldn't be indicative of an issue inherent to the disc.

Unfortunately I can only report what I see and having gone back and checked at Paul's request I didn't see the problem.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page