Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Then they did their jobs perfectly! There wasn't supposed to be chemistry. They were a 'new' team, who didn't see eye to eye.

Greetings,

I would have to agree. The awkward interplay was purposeful and part of what I found enjoyable.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We watched it last night and loved it!
Crazy action and some good laughs!
(and Paula is insanely HOT!)
post #123 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post

(and Paula is insanely HOT!)

I thought so too, and the wife must have noticed that I was thinking that because out of nowhere, she said Paula has "man hands"!

I've seen this one a couple of times now, but am ready to go a couple more times before putting it away for a while.

oz
post #124 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Then they did their jobs perfectly! There wasn't supposed to be chemistry. They were a 'new' team, who didn't see eye to eye.

Spot on.

Frank

post #125 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
:shrug: so bad acting is now considered good? In Oceans 11, everyone was working together for the first time except Danny and Rusty and they all jived perfectly. Hell even a movie with bad actors like in Fast Five had so much chemistry. Its just my opinion though, Ghost protocol wasn't a bad movie at all. Just thought it was miscast.
post #126 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

:shrug: so bad acting is now considered good?

Well that's your opinion, I thought they did a great job.

Frank

post #127 of 156 Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well that's your opinion, I thought they did a great job.

+1. In fact it's the first one my wife enjoyed I saw it first in a regular cinema and then took my wife to see it in IMAX. I wish the BD had the IMAX scenes in the right AR (as was The Dark Knight) rather than in the same AR throughout the movie. Of course the constant ratio screen guys would complain but when I project scope on my screen I have spare space above and below the image.
post #128 of 156 Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

:shrug: so bad acting is now considered good? In Oceans 11, everyone was working together for the first time except Danny and Rusty and they all jived perfectly. Hell even a movie with bad actors like in Fast Five had so much chemistry. Its just my opinion though, Ghost protocol wasn't a bad movie at all. Just thought it was miscast.

I think you have a point. Although I liked MI4 a lot, I agree that the overall quality of the acting was only about average. Tom Cruise was adequate but, as usual, not much more than that. Simon Pegg is a comic personality and not really an actor. He was good for some laughs, playing a version of himself, but, to put it gently, didn't elevate the film. Jeremy Renner is a charismatic guy and a fine actor but there wasn't much he could do portraying a hardbitten operator who was not much more than Ethan Hunt lite. I was disappointed in Paula Patton. I spent the whole film wondering how an actress with such limited skill and less than otherworldly beauty got the gig in the first place.
post #129 of 156 Old 04-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Watched it yesterday, liked it more than I thought I would.
post #130 of 156 Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Finally got around to renting this one. I have the others in my collection but have decided against adding this latest edition of the franchise. Not because I didn't like it, I've just had enough of the series.
post #131 of 156 Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

The scene when Tom Cruise crashes into the BMW has some of the best surround effects I've ever heard. The sound of the sand as it fell from the sky and the swayed left to right was fantastic!

Quote:

I spent the whole film wondering how an actress with such limited skill and less than otherworldly beauty got the gig in the first place

I would say the 'seduction' scene during the party had a lot to do with it.

post #132 of 156 Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

The sound of the sand as it fell from the sky and the swayed left to right was fantastic!

The sound of the sand was incredible. The clarity and crispness was spot on. My jaw dropped during this scene and it was because of the audio and not the video. Usually I am struck in awe more so on the video side of things than the audio, but I was just completely blown away by how crisp the sound of the sand was.
post #133 of 156 Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

The sound of the sand was incredible. The clarity and crispness was spot on. My jaw dropped during this scene and it was because of the audio and not the video. Usually I am struck in awe more so on the video side of things than the audio, but I was just completely blown away by how crisp the sound of the sand was.

Couldn't agree more. It was "distracting" only from the standpoint that it was so clear and well placed relative to the scene. They didn't miss a trick with this release!
post #134 of 156 Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

The scene when Tom Cruise crashes into the BMW has some of the best surround effects I've ever heard. The sound of the sand as it fell from the sky and the swayed left to right was fantastic!

I would say the 'seduction' scene during the party had a lot to do with it.

Can anyone say "Chick Fight?"
post #135 of 156 Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I just like her twins

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #136 of 156 Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
While all the MI movies are first and foremost vehicles for Tom Cruise, MI4 did the best job of showing showing the team working as an ensemble, which was something the original series emphasized. Obviously the movies don't have much in common with the original series, but I appreciated that MI4 remembered this element.

One thing I liked about the first MI movie -- and that the followups lacked --was that the mission was something spies would actually be tasked with. In the original series, the whole point of the IMF was that they were doing things the U.S. government could not publicly admit to, like toppling unfriendly regimes; hence the "disavowed" if they were caught. In 2, 3, and 4, the threats are things like biological or nuclear weapons, and there's no reason for the U.S. to deny its interest in stopping them; you could send in a Navy SEAL team, kick ass, and then give a triumphant press conference once the mission's done. But in the first MI movie, the threat was that the identities of covert operatives would be revealed; that's bad, but it's also something the government would find deeply embarrassing. That's a perfect mission for the IMF.

What I liked about MI3 was that it was a big-budget episode of ALIAS, utilizing the strength of the series' premise without being constrained by the need to keep the story going on indefinitely. By including Ethan Hunt's personal life, it provided an emotional counterpart to the action and adventure. The similarity to ALIAS was almost too transparent if you had seen the series: opening with the climax and then flashing back; the protagonist hiding his occupation from his loved one, but then having his worlds collide disastrously; the technician back in the lab providing comic relief. But considering that ALIAS was more exciting than most spy movies at the time, following that template was a good idea.

Alas, I don't remember much about MI2.
post #137 of 156 Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Fantastic soundtrack!!!

This soundtrack is one of the rare recent blockbuster tracks that had superlative dynamics and monsterous bass! The 7.1 track was just rock solid with great spatial effects. Great movie if you have great subs AND Burrkickers! Awesome and loud!

Picture quality very good as well. I didn't see any of the blocking but though it may've been present, it did not call attention to itself on my 14' wide screen (SIM2 3 Chip DLP).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #138 of 156 Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Fantastic soundtrack!!!

This soundtrack is one of the rare recent blockbuster tracks that had superlative dynamics and monsterous bass! The 7.1 track was just rock solid with great spatial effects. Great movie if you have great subs AND Burrkickers! Awesome and loud!

Picture quality very good as well. I didn't see any of the blocking but though it may've been present, it did not call attention to itself on my 14' wide screen (SIM2 3 Chip DLP).

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Jeff!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #139 of 156 Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

^^ Completely agree rdgrimes....Another thing that I find interesting is that all of the people who were able to see these video "anomalies" have some sort of Oppo player 93 or 95. I wonder if the Oppo's just seem to be more revealing of this type of content?!

I think I may post on the Oppo 93 thread to see if anyone else spots this. Dave Vaughan actually saw this on his LCD but not on his Plasma/PS3 combo. It seems that projectors regardless of the BD player do not show this.

Paul

I just watched it tonight via a ISO playback on my media center pc to my 1000 ES projector, and saw several scenes of block/compression artifacts and some banding. Calibrated lumagen mini 3d 21 point 2.4 gamma, less than 1 de's across the board.

Also tested the disc itself on a Sony bdp player - same issues. This is one of the poorer discs I've owned. Audio is great however...
post #140 of 156 Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great movie....the best in the series, IMO. And the AQ absolutely deserves the 100, it is reference quality.
post #141 of 156 Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
MI3 is still the best in the series to me. This one felt like a bit of National Treasure thrown into the mix.

Blu-ray : 340
post #142 of 156 Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I've watched MI4 about 5 times now, and it just keeps getting better with each viewing.

oz
post #143 of 156 Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM

I liked it, but found that it had too much humor. I recall lots of action movies that are gripping, but have maybe a couple eye winking moments to chuckle over. The abundant visual gags are probably the cartoon director in Brad Bird.
post #144 of 156 Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just watched the deleted scenes and thought some were pretty good/entertaining

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #145 of 156 Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 AM

I bought this one on the release date and had not gotten around to watching it yet. I thoroughly enjoyed it at the theater. It was the last movie that I thought was worthy of paying to see.
I was motivated to watch it last weekend after seeing the perfect score for audio, and I liked it even more the second time!! This is my new favorite blu-ray. I definitely see it being used to showcase my audio in the future!
post #146 of 156 Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

The abundant visual gags are probably the cartoon director in Brad Bird.

A doesn't have to equal B. To wit, Michael Bay never directed a cartoon in his life.
post #147 of 156 Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

A doesn't have to equal B. To wit, Michael Bay never directed a cartoon in his life.

You lost me on that one.
post #148 of 156 Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I might have missed this but is the True HD soundtrack only available in 7.1? What does 5.1 get? Thanks!
post #149 of 156 Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post

I might have missed this but is the True HD soundtrack only available in 7.1? What does 5.1 get? Thanks!

Greetings,

No worries as the mix works perfectly fine with 5.1 channels with no loss of information.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #150 of 156 Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
One of the best soundtracks to date.....the Kremlin scene where its blown up...literally felt like couch lifted off the floor when the floor lifted in the movie with all that bass LOL!!. Awesome movie too!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page