Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 464

attachment.php?attachmentid=242387&d=1333313737
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg, Josh Holloway, Michael Nyqvist, Vladimir Mashkov, Anil Kapoor, Lea Seydoux
Directed by: Brad Bird
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Josh Applebaum & Andre Nemec
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 17, 2012

"No plan. No backup. No choice."

Film Synopsis:

Agent Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his elite team (Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, and Simon Pegg, ) go underground after a bombing of the Kremlin implicates the IMF as international terrorists. While trying to clear the agency's name, the team uncovers a plot to start a nuclear war. Now, to save the world, they must use every high-tech trick in the book..

My Take:

Blamed for the terrorist bombing of the Kremlin, IMF operative Ethan Hunt is disavowed along with the rest of the agency when the President initiates “Ghost Protocol.” Left without any resources or backup, Ethan must find a way to clear his agency’s name while hunting down the mysterious “Cobalt” the man believed to be behind the bombing as well as the orchestrator of a plot to start a nuclear war. To complicate matters further, Ethan is forced to embark on this mission with a team of fellow IMF agents he does not fully know. The mission has never been more real, more dangerous, or more impossible.

As a film lover I enjoy a variety of movies. I get satisfaction out of classic cinema, romance, comedy, drama and the like. I must admit that I have a bit of a soft spot for action thrillers. Sitting back and getting lost in a sci-fi action/spy piece like Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is right up my alley and makes for an entertaining bit of escapism. I own the first three installments in the Mission Impossible series on home video. I didn’t bother getting the first two on Blu-ray but picked up MI3 in Blu when it was originally released. I enjoy them all but going into this review my favorite in the series was MI3 with Mission Impossible a close second. Whether you like Tom Cruise or not there is no denying his status as a drawing power at the box office. I tend to like his films and would consider myself a fan. I didn’t get out to the theater to see this one but my son did and he recommended it highly. Well he was right. I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost Protocol. It adheres to the same formula that makes the other films in the series fun to watch. The plot is straight forward and follows Ethan Hunt and his team as they track down “Cobalt” a terrorist that represents a significant global threat.

There is plenty of action, cool gadgets and slick/stylish production elements to go along with a decent screenplay and a snappy pace as dictated by director Brad Bird. Along with Tom Cruise (who does many of his own stunts by the way) I found the cast, Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Simon Pegg and Josh Holloway (wish he had a bigger role) that portray the new IMF Team to be right on the money. Pegg returns from MI3, now as a field agent, and adds some complimentary comic relief that isn’t silly or overplayed. It would be safe to say that I like Ghost Protocol as much as any big budget action flick. It’s edgy, fun and contains a couple of defining set pieces that genre fans are sure to appreciate.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action/violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
  •  

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 7.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation that offers impressive transparent imagery. The wide angle shots of the various geographical locations look marvelous. Close ups reveal high level detail that allows the pores, stubble, peach fuzzy hair and subtle variations in the complexions of the cast to be perceivable. The texture on the surfaces of objects is just as defining which give them visibly apparent structure and tangible quality. The chromatic palette is deliberately subdued and held to primary use of black, grays, whites, and blues, with only splashes of deeper secondary hues that give it a cooler emphasis. Colors are cleanly rendered and appear natural overall. This is a high bitrate encoding that delivers superlative image resolution. Black levels and contrast are excellent and visible detail within dark backgrounds and shadows are equally as strong. The video has a gratifying and pristine quality that appears devoid of video related anomalies and artifacts.

Like the video quality the 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. This is an engaging surround mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated so that sound effects traverse the room during the large set pieces. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is an aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already strong dynamics. The result is that all points of contact seem to resonate with tactile low bass impact. The bombing of the Kremlin, the two car crashes, and the sandstorm are great examples. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency energy. Dialogue has definitive presence, with refining vocal character and excellent room penetration. Kudos to Paramount on this reference quality audio/video presentation that offers demonstration worthy material for those who like to show of their home theater systems.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Mission Accepted ( 3 segments totaling 47 minutes)

1. Suiting ip in Prague
    2. Heating up in Dubai
    3. Vancouver Fisticuffs

• (HD) Impossible Missions (11 segments totaling 48 minutes)

1. The Russian prison
    2. Shooting in IMAX
    3. Art department
    4. A roll of film
    5. Life masks
    6. Stepping into the storm
    7. The Sandstorm
    8. Dubai car chase
    9. Lens on the Burj
    10. Props
    11. Composer

• (HD) 8 Deleted scenes (including alternate opening) with optional director commentary

• (HD) Two theatrical trailers

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is the fourth installment in the popular film series that stars Tom Cruise as IMF Agent Ethan Hunt. As a fan I looked forward to seeing it and am happy to report that it’s an excellent addition not only to the franchise but the genre as well. It’s edgy, fun and contains a couple of defining set pieces that enhance the thrill factor quite nicely. Speaking of thrilling, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol comes to Blu-ray via a solid offering from Paramount Home Entertainment that features reference quality high definition video, rip roaring 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD lossless surround sound and a decent assortment of bonus supplements that look behind the scenes at the making of the film. I had a great time with Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol which makes for rewarding popcorn entertainment that comes highly recommended. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, 100 score for AQ, terrific!
I loved this flick in the Imax theatre and will definetly be buying it release day.
cheers,
post #3 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM

This was one of my favorite action flicks recently seen at the theater, so I am happy to see that the PQ and AQ are charting high on this blu-ray release. Watching movies is one of my favorite things to do, and it's releases like this one that make it so!

Ralph, you already know!
post #4 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Wow--100 for audio--can't wait to test that out on my system--should sound fantastic. This is one I have had on pre-order since it first was announced--great review!

Bob

post #5 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Amazingly, the MI series has gotten better with each film (although I didn't really care for the 2nd that much), but the 3rd and 4th are the two best in the franchise by a pretty good margin IMHO.

Nice review Ralph!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #6 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Looks like a good BD to buy!!!! AQ 100!!!!
post #7 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Amazingly, the MI series has gotten better with each film (although I didn't really care for the 2nd that much), but the 3rd and 4th are the two best in the franchise by a pretty good margin IMHO.

Nice review Ralph!

Agreed 100%.
3rd is still my favorite but this one wasnt far behind.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #8 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Nice review Ralph!

I agree 100% with your take as well. I haven't seen this 4th yet but I know it will flat out be AWESOME.

The 2nd was just waaaaaaay too silly and TC just grinning all over the place like a jack ass got really old.

So glad it got the great review from Ralph for AQ and PQ. Gonna have to buy this 1 now.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #9 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Thank you for the review Ralph looking forward in picking this up real soon and adding to my M.I. collection.

Frank

post #10 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Nice review Ralph!

Im on the same page with No 2 Dave I didn't care for it either, for me that's the worst one out of the franchise.

Frank

post #11 of 156 Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Liked: 31
King P strikes yet again ! I have the first 3 on blu... and because of you King P... I will pick this one up 2 .

Thanks for the great review...
post #12 of 156 Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Can't wait to pick this one up! Wanted to see it in IMAX but didn't have a chance.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #13 of 156 Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:

Nice review Ralph!

Greetings,

Agreed. Thanks Dave..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #14 of 156 Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ralph,

Good write up. Went to the cinema this winter with low expectations (the #4 sequel thing). Walked out very happy - I agree with your comments it was an exciting movie well worth the theater expense. After seeing your comments on the BR PQ/AQ - I'll be adding this to the collection.

Thanks Again !

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #15 of 156 Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Will definitely be buying this since i'm a big fan. I think the Ghost Protocol has been the best one since the first installment. Although the ending dragged i thought it could've been shorter.

The thing that amazes me about this movie is the UAE/Dubai scene with the tallest skyscraper. What a sight!
post #16 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Despite my well known low opinion of Tom Cruise's acting talents, I saw this one in the theater and was glad I did. As usual, Cruise was just good enough not to spoil the rest of the film for me. This entry in the Mission Impossible franchise has a powerhouse supporting cast, looks and sounds great, and is filled with action from beginning to end. 8 Stars out of 10.
post #17 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I was a big fan of the tv series.

Never bothered to see any of the Tom Cruise MI flicks.
Thought they wouldn't measure up to the tv series.

However based on reviews I decided to pre-order Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol.
Now I also want to see MI: 3.
Any chance that movie will be re-released on BD with 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio?

post #18 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My copy has been per-ordered for a while now... so looking forward to receiving it and checking it out!

Thanks for another fine review, Ralph...

oz
post #19 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

My copy has been per-ordered for a while now... so looking forward to receiving it and checking it out!

You may want to cancel your order and instead pick up the Best Buy exclusive blu-ray edition.
It has more bonus features.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL + BONUS DISC [BLU-RAY DISC] (BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE)

Release Date: 4/17/2012

Blu-ray (Disc 1)
· Feature film in high definition

Blu-ray (Disc 2)
· Mission Accepted
o Suiting Up In Prague
o Heating Up In Dubai
o Vancouver Fisticuffs
· Impossible Missions
o The Russian Prison
o Shooting in IMAX®
o Art Department
o A Roll of Film
o Life Masks
o Stepping into the Storm
o The Sandstorm
o Dubai Car Crash
o Lens on the Burj
o Props
o Composer
· Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by director Brad Bird
o Including an Alternate Opening
· Trailers

DVD (Disc 3)
· Feature film in standard definition

post #20 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 12
Good review, I didn't get a chance to see MIGP in the theater darn it. I like the MI franchise a lot especially after the first one when a chubby Cruise transformed himself into a lean mean action machine and the films were non stop kick butt. I'm a Cruise fan I enjoy his films I own quite a few and look forward to owning MIGP. Also it's nice to see Birds first attempt at directing live action be such a success.
post #21 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Saw it in the IMAX theater.
To me the movie was an easy 10.
Now see what in store on BR.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

post #22 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does this BR preserve the AR of the IMAX scenes and go full screen or is it 2:25.1 all the way through?

The Dark Knight (also with a significant number of scenes filmed in IMAX) preserves the IMAX AR in those scenes and while those with constant AR projection systems complain, I really liked how those scenes filled up my entire screen.
post #23 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Does this BR preserve the AR of the IMAX scenes and go full screen or is it 2:25.1 all the way through?

The Dark Knight (also with a significant number of scenes filmed in IMAX) preserves the IMAX AR in those scenes and while those with constant AR projection systems complain, I really liked how those scenes filled up my entire screen.

No, the IMAX footage has been cropped to 2.35

http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2...s-mission.html

I don't have a problem with them releasing an all 2:35 version but at least give me the option to own the switching aspect ratio IMAX version.
post #24 of 156 Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

That's disappointing since TDK's IMAX scenes on a large projector look spectacular. I am sure MIGP would also look as good.

But I guess it won't stop me from getting the movie but I will be annoyed if later they come out with a version with the uncropped IMAX scenes.
post #25 of 156 Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

awesome movie

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #26 of 156 Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

You may want to cancel your order and instead pick up the Best Buy exclusive blu-ray edition.
It has more bonus features.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL + BONUS DISC [BLU-RAY DISC] (BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE)

Release Date: 4/17/2012

Blu-ray (Disc 1)
· Feature film in high definition

Blu-ray (Disc 2)
· Mission Accepted
o Suiting Up In Prague
o Heating Up In Dubai
o Vancouver Fisticuffs
· Impossible Missions
o The Russian Prison
o Shooting in IMAX®
o Art Department
o A Roll of Film
o Life Masks
o Stepping into the Storm
o The Sandstorm
o Dubai Car Crash
o Lens on the Burj
o Props
o Composer
· Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by director Brad Bird
o Including an Alternate Opening
· Trailers

DVD (Disc 3)
· Feature film in standard definition

Thanks for this... will probably do this one.

Edit... Where did you find this info? I'm not seeing it on the BB website
post #27 of 156 Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I didnt know this movie is out at the movie theater. Where was I?

I am watching it tomorrow.
post #28 of 156 Old 04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Thanks for the review. This is easily the best installment of the franchise. We saw it in IMAX and were quite impressed, and so placed it on immediate pre-order as soon as it was announced. It's good to see also that they did not skimp on this BR release, with full 7.1 HD audio and a host of bonus features.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #29 of 156 Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Great news on the audio. I just upgraded to high end speakers, and a dual 12" sub.

I had no idea how much a difference that it makes.
post #30 of 156 Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Great news on the audio. I just upgraded to high end speakers, and a dual 12" sub.

I had no idea how much a difference that it makes.

I am sure your neighbors will answer that.

Blu-ray : 340
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page