Starring: Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan, James Badge Dale, Nicole Beharie
Directed by: Steve McQueen
Music by: Harry Escot
Written by: Steve McQueen & Abi Morgan
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 17, 2012

"We aren't bad people, we just come from a bad place"

Film Synopsis:

Shame tells the riveting story of Brandon, a handsome businessman with a dark and destructive secret. His solitary existence is shaken by the unexpected arrival of his sister Sissy, another damaged soul who brings memories of a painful shared past.

My Take:

Brandon (Michael Fassbender) is a single New Yorker who on the surface is living the dream. He has a good job, a high rise apartment, and has a way with the ladies. A closer look reveals a deeply troubled individual that shuns intimacy with women but feeds his carnal desires with a compulsive addiction to sex. When his wayward younger sister (Carey Mulligan) moves into his apartment and stirs up memories of their shared painful past, Brandon's insular life spirals out of control until his self loathing and shame lands him at rock bottom.

Shame is a dark, graphic and disturbing portrait of a man left to his devices in a world that is tailor made to feed his addiction. Clearly meant to be a statement piece this is a powerful film both thematically and visually. I must admit that it is much easier to understand the physical addiction to drugs/alcohol where a person becomes dependent on them. As depicted here it is obvious that Brandon's addiction, while clearly psychological, is also a physical dependency brought on as a sort of emotional pacifier. He uses it as a means for immediate satisfaction or high that can be a raw outlet that stems from whatever happened in his past (it is only alluded to in the story). He continually avoids contact with his sister Sissy until she unexpectedly shows up and moves into his place. Her presence seems to dredge up old feelings which only serve to exacerbate his need for pacification. On top of that she has issues of her own which when coupled with their dysfunctional relationship leaves them unable to connect pretty much on any level. The plot focuses primarily on Brandon, the depiction/results of his destructive behavior and the events that lead up to his inevitable descent to rock bottom.

I found the first 30 minutes or so of Shame to move a little too slowly. Beyond that point I began to understand where it was going, the gravity of its message and as with any film that depicts destructive behavior/addiction the inclusion of graphic material to bolster that message. For me it isn't one of those movies that you walk away from feeling good about. I think it is one of those films with a compelling message/story that is meant to leave an impression and does. Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan give riveting performances as director Steve McQueen sketches the grim reality and base emotions that can drive people to extremes. To say that Shame may not be everyone's cup of tea is probably an understatement but if you can see it for what it is I suspect you will appreciate it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for explicit sexual content, associated themes and graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Shame comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 37 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate 3 Mbps.

In looking at this video presentation as a whole I found it to be satisfactory but not among the better new release Blu-ray titles I have seen. Contrast is held in check and blacks are deep but slightly crushed. Shadow detail isn't definitive however depth of field during low level segments is appreciable. Color balance is good as both primary and secondary are cleanly rendered with a reserved level of saturation and depth. Skin tones are mildly pallid but not unnatural. Resolution and clarity is estimable although definition can be a bit inconsistent which leaves some shots appearing flat with the finest gradations obscured. This appears innate and affects both wide angle and close ups. Luckily it isn't prevalent as more often than not images appear well resolved with discernible definition and appreciable rendering of fine detail. I didn't observe any distracting signs of video related artifacts or noise.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren't intense but the subwoofer is kept busy as it works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film's recorded elements.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Focus on Michael Fassbender - 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Director Steve McQueen - 3 minute featurette

• (HD) The story of Shame - 3 minute featurette

• (HD) A shared vision - 2 minute featurette

• Fox Movie Channel Presents: In Character with Michael Fassbender - 5 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Shame is a dark, graphic and disturbing portrait of a man left to his devices in a world that is tailor made to fuel his dependency. It is a powerful and thought provoking expose on sexual addiction that features riveting performances and apt direction by Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan and Steve McQueen. It makes its way to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring good overall high definition audio/video and a light supplemental offering that includes insights from the cast/filmmakers. To say that Shame may not be everyone's cup of tea is probably an understatement but if you can see it for what it is I suspect you will appreciate it. In that vein I would recommend a rental for first time viewers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 115
This was a tough film to watch in terms of the bleak nature of the protrayl of sexual addiction. It would seem to have captured the isolating nature, struggle, self hatred and (yes) shame of the struggle. I was left with the feeling that Brandon never revealed himself to anyone...why?...because he feels if he did, you wouldn't like him. His self loathing was evident in every frame....that's why having someone like Fassbender (people magazine sexiest men edition type actor) protray the addict ...somewhat took me the viewer out of the film...he's become a recognizable star, as opposed to an actor. It's not his fault, just the nature of doing a large number of higher profile films.

What would have been an interesting extra would have been a commentary track recorded by an addiction expert, so we could flesh out the story behind the story of the actor's addiction (both he and his love addicted sister, Sissy). This is not to say that I needed to know he and Sissy's backstory, nor did I need redemption for Brandon...but how realistic of protrayl are we veiwing? What storylines and character nuances were realistically reflective of the addiction?

Terrific performances in a very sad but compelling film.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

This was a tough film to watch in terms of the bleak nature of the protrayl of sexual addiction. It would seem to have captured the isolating nature, struggle, self hatred and (yes) shame of the struggle. I was left with the feeling that Brandon never revealed himself to anyone...why?...because he feels if he did, you wouldn't like him. His self loathing was evident in every frame....that's why having someone like Fassbender (people magazine sexiest men edition type actor) protray the addict ...somewhat took me the viewer out of the film...he's become a recognizable star, as opposed to an actor. It's not his fault, just the nature of doing a large number of higher profile films.

What would have been an interesting extra would have been a commentary track recorded by an addiction expert, so we could flesh out the story behind the story of the actor's addiction (both he and his love addicted sister, Sissy). This is not to say that I needed to know he and Sissy's backstory, nor did I need redemption for Brandon...but how realistic of protrayl are we veiwing? What storylines and character nuances were realistically reflective of the addiction?

Terrific performances in a very sad but compelling film.

Greetings,

Excellent viewpoint/summation Ron.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wondered if this movie was going to get reviewed, so I watched it beforehand. Although I questioned certain things about the movie and didn't really feel his struggle, in the end it came down to he and Sissy and
it was then that the trapped, helpless nature of the film came through and it ended perfectly.
Very well done to experience that, in the end.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Wow , I look forward to watching this one !
As always a good read & a great review Ralph
I find these types of movies very compelling , Is this like watching a train wreck in slow motion ? Along the lines of "Requiem For A Dream " ?

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #6 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It gives hint of something and want to see it .. but I get goose bumps already.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I've been rather undecided on this one, but I'm generally in agreement with Ralph's reviews, so might give it a go. Of course, he did recommend a rental for first timers.

Thanks for taking the time to review this for us, Ralph!

oz
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Wow , I look forward to watching this one !
As always a good read & a great review Ralph
I find these types of movies very compelling , Is this like watching a train wreck in slow motion ? Along the lines of "Requiem For A Dream " ?

Greetings,

Mike, I am not sure about the train wreck in slow motion reference but if you generally enjoy these type of films then give it a shot.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I've been rather undecided on this one, but I'm generally in agreement with Ralph's reviews, so might give it a go. Of course, he did recommend a rental for first timers.

Thanks for taking the time to review this for us, Ralph!

Greetings,

Sure thing oz..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 10 Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw the trailer and didn't get a chance to see it when it first came out. Trailer looked pretty good so i'll watch this one.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Shame Blu Ray , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Shame by PriceGrabber.com