Studio and Year: Warner - 2011
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Drama/Holiday

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Halle Berry, Jessica Biel, Jon Bon Jovi, Abigail Breslin, Zac Afron, Robert De Niro, Josh Duhamel, Hector Elizondo, Katherine Heigl, Ashton Kutcher, John Lithgow, Sarah Jessica Parker, Michelle Pfeiffer, Lea Michele, Seth Meyers, Til Schweiger, Hilary Swank, Sofia Vergara, Common, Matthew Broderick
Directed by: Garry Marshall
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Katherine Fugate
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 1, 2012

"Let love be your resolution"

Film Synopsis:

Director/producer Garry Marshall brings together an stellar ensemble cast to celebrate love, hope, forgiveness, second chances and fresh starts, in intertwining stories told amidst the pulse and promise of New York City on the most dazzling night of the year.

My Take:

New Year’s Eve follows converging stories, showcasing love, hope, excitement, sadness, joy, laughter and sorrow. Ingrid is a woman looking for purpose in her life, helped along the way by Paul. Tess and Griffin are in a race against the clock to have the first baby of the New Year. Randy and Elise are trapped in an elevator, one desperate to get out and one not eager to leave. Claire is the one in charge of making sure the Times Square ball drops at midnight but she runs into a major problem. Stan is alone, full of regrets, dying of cancer and would like to see the ball drop one last time. Single mom Kim struggles to keep track of her 15 year old daughter Hailey who hopes to hang out with her friends and high school crush on New Year’s Eve in Times Square. Last year Sam met the woman of his dreams on New Year’s Eve only to lose track of her while being left with the promise to meet again in the same location on the same night one year later.

I am the first to admit that I am a sucker for feel good movies. In the case of New Year’s Eve that probably makes me a bit more tolerant of its unending clichés, and seemingly trifling episodic plot. If you invest in it you may find that a few of its stories have something to offer. The large ensemble cast lends an air of credibility which garners interest as the variety of notables is enough that there should be someone for everyone watching to connect with. The film takes place in one evening, New Year’s Eve, and follows multiple storylines, some of which share a connection. The remaining stories are interwoven and while there are some laughs, romance, and varying degrees of drama the overall film experience never ingratiated me. I am most definitely a fan of director Garry Marshall and there is no denying his signature on this film. I think that there is a simply too much going on here which waters down the intended effect. Nevertheless I found New Year’s Eve to be mildly entertaining, and keeping in the spirit of the holiday theme.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and some sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

New Year’s Eve comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is a decent and fairly unremarkable high definition presentation that is highlighted by vivid well translated colors that offer a good mix of secondary hues that are equally vibrant and pleasing to the eye. Skin tones are realistically depicted with rosy complexions and supple texture. High definition resolution is good and delivers clear images with varying degrees of fine rendering that appear scene dependent. Black and contrast levels strike a good balance so that bright scenes are punchy and dark scenes have appreciable depth and detail in shadows. The lossless audio soundtrack renders clear dialogue that maintains a notable position of prominence within the front soundstage. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it appropriately conveys the recorded elements via a convincing front soundstage which is supported by occasional splashes of atmosphere from the rear channels. Detail is rendered well which attenuates slight environmental cues and augments the subtle texture of voices and sound effects. There is no deep bass associated with the sound track but it contains low frequency support where appropriate.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with Garry Marshall

• (HD) The magic of Times Square – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) New Year’s Eve: Secrets of the stars – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Jon Bon Jovi and Lea Michele rock New Year’s Eve – 5 minutes

• (HD) Deleted scenes with introduction by Garry Marshall – 17 minutes

• (HD) Deleted scenes – 7 minutes

• (HD) Gag reel – 11 minutes

• Bonus DVD (flip side) version of New Year’s Eve

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

• BD-Live
attachment.php?attachmentid=244735&d=1335530369

Final Thoughts:

New Year’s Eve is a middling holiday themed romance/drama that I found mildly entertaining despite its notable clichés and formulaic premise. Its Blu-ray Disc presentation from Warner looks and sounds just fine while sporting an average set of bonus supplements that includes an Ultraviolet Digital Copy for those who would like to take it on the go. It’s worthy of a rental when you’re looking for something to watch on date night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought this movie was just ok.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This type of film is better handled by directors like Robert Altman. Perhaps Marshall would be better off sticking to material like Pretty Woman.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
My only interest in this film is to see visuals that resulted from location shooting that I saw being setup. I was doing a short project for a law firm located outside the ball drop building in Times Square, whose offices were rented by the studio. The law firm perpetually has an up close and personal view of the ball. Conversely, I worked a few blocks away and from a view from the top of another skyscraper, I saw from that vantage point the same law offices and how they scaffolded three stories worth high above, probably to be able to place their grip equipment. Fascinating to see the amount of work and presumably cost involved with that.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
New Years Eve Single Disc Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page