Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
attachment.php?attachmentid=244898&d=1335625175
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay Films - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 112 minutes
Genre: Thriller, Horror

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Rebecca De Mornay, Jaime King, Deborah Ann Woll, Shawn Ashmore
Directed by: Darren Lynn Bousman
Music by: Bobby Johnston
Written by: Scott Milam (2010), Charles Kaufman (1980 screenplay "Mother's Day") and Warren Leight
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 8, 2012

"Don't Misbehave"

Film Synopsis:

The sadistic members of a villainous family return to their childhood home to terrorize the new home owners and their guests. A psychotic mother encourages her children to torture the new inhabitants of their former residence.

My Take:

The thing with director Darren Lynn Bousman's (Saw II – IV) remake of the Troma Productions (better being called a "re-imagining" I guess) Mother's Day, is that it really has no true identity. As a Crime/Thriller it has no thrill, as a Drama it is just not realistic enough, and as a horror flick there are no real chills or real gross out moments. It's as though the writer, the producers and the director had a different vision of what Mother's Day should be, and the meld became a watered down version of each. Don't get me wrong, it's an OK movie, and will appease many of you out there, I just wanted more. What I really wanted was for it to be "kind of" like the original, which you either loved or loathed. I have seen Troma's 1980 original a few times, and it really is twisted and brutal, but it has that bats*&t nuts acquired sense of Troma humor. This one has no sense of humor what-so-ever.

The plot is as basic a set-up as can be; after a botched bank robbery the wittily last named Koffin brothers go back home to Mothers house after some extended time away. When they get there they discover dear ol' mom lost the house in a foreclosure. The new owners and their guests become hostages as the brothers await Mother's arrival. When mommy dearest (Rebecca De Horney...I mean Rebecca De Mornay) comes to save the day, she takes the reigns of the spiraling out of control situation, as only a mother can, and shows she will do whatever it takes to protect her family. I will say that De Mornay did a great job with what she was given to work with, but I just kept waiting for something more from her character.

Yes, things get sadistic, there is torture, both physically and mentally and there are brutal killings, but it's all just happening on screen and I didn't care. The performances were all good, but not good enough to make me care, the direction was proficient, the effects decent, the cinematography good, but I just didn't care. If you see or saw this one and cared about the characters and what was happening, and if any of this flick touched any emotion in you, please let me know what I missed. Sometimes gross out horror with some humor is just what the mother ordered. Too bad they tried so hard to be "chilling" here. They failed.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong brutal bloody violence and torture, pervasive language and some sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Mothers Day comes Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment & Starz featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23.1 mbps and Dolby TrueHD sound that has an average bitrate of 2.4 mbps

Mother's Day is a fine effort by Anchor Bay, as they had to contend with a video design that was bleak and depressing. It is not the sharpers knife in the draw, but fine details are apparent on the requisite facial lines and fabrics, but do tend to sway a bit soft in things not shot close-up. Thankfully blacks levels and shadow detail are quite strong and I noticed no compression artifacts at all. The audio design was nice, and fit the mood of the film quite well. I never felt this huge sound field, and this worked in its favor adding a bit of claustrophobia to the mostly one location film. LFE got a few moments to flex its bottom end and surrounds are used with taste.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Darren Lynn Bousman and Actor Shawn Ashmore

• (HD) Previews: Seeking Justice, The Divide, The Wicker Tree

• DVD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Mother's Day is a rental. Not a bad flick, but I cannot see anyone getting multiple viewings out of this one. Its nearly two hour runtime is a bit tedious as is its lack of any real definite direction. After this viewing I can see why this baby took so long to get distribution, as it was finished in 2009. The only extras included are a commentary track a DVD copy, adding to the reasons I suggested a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MK Sound S-150MKII LCR
MK Sound S-150T Tripole Surrounds
MK Sound MX-350MKII Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I've heard various things about this, ranging from some who consider it exceptional to others more along the lines of Lee's reaction. Either way, I'll rent it just for DeMornay. WIsh she'd appear in more movies.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll check it out for same reasons. Especially Rebecca Demornay
post #4 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I think after all these years she's still hot.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Rebecca De Mornay looked her best in the movie Risky Business.

That scene in the movie, where she walks into the house and puts her leg up on a piece of furniture,
to fix the strap on her high heel, is the most erotic that I have ever seen in a mainstream movie.

That scene contained full-frontal female nudity, featuring the ultra sexy Ms De Mornay.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Rebecca De Mornay looked her best in the movie Risky Business.

That scene in the movie, where she walks into the house and puts her leg up on a piece of furniture,
to fix the strap on her high heel, is the most erotic that I have ever seen in a mainstream movie.

That scene contained full-frontal female nudity, featuring the ultra sexy Ms De Mornay.

Easy tiger...back away from the keyboard...
post #7 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Easy tiger...back away from the keyboard...

I feel better now that I've doused myself with a bucket of ice water.

post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

This is very interesting because i just read at IMDB that this movie is just showing this past weekend? What'd i miss? lol
post #9 of 11 Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I want to see this, but it looks like neither Blockbuster, Netflix or Redbox has this in Blu-ray? What a shame! It has been harder to rent Blu-ray movies as of late.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I want to see this, but it looks like neither Blockbuster, Netflix or Redbox has this in Blu-ray? What a shame! It has been harder to rent Blu-ray movies as of late.

Not yet on VuDu either. NF (surprisingly) apparently does have the BD but it's a Very Long Wait.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got the BD from Netflix. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I have to disagree with Lee, as I was involved with the characters and what was going on. I kept wondering what direction the Deborah Ann Wol character would eventually take. And I was entranced by DeMornay's performance....everything from intensity, maliciousness, maternalism, the hint of a smile...much more nuanced (well, ok, not always!) than the original Mom in a wheelchair. It's tamer than the original, but does have it's "Whoa!" moments. Jamie King also gives the best performance I've ever seen from her. I also liked the nods to the original. I don't want to oversell the movie, but I thought it was much better than things like FUNNY GAMES or VACANCY. (Nothing like having some cake and ice cream when you're being tormented. Moms are still moms!)

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Mothers Day Blu Ray , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread - Mothers by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page