Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 2.0 Master Audio, DTS-HD 1.0 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Tony Randall, Thelma Ritter, Nick Adams, Marcel Dalio, Julia Meade
Directed by: Michael Gordon
Music by:
Written by: Stanley Shapiro & Maurice Richlin
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 1, 2012

"It's what goes on when the lights go off"

Film Synopsis:

Jan Morrow (Day), an uptight interior decorator, must share a telephone party line with laid-back playboy Brad Allen (Hudson). But the real connection is made when the two meet and he begins wooing her while pretending to be someone else.

My Take:

Hollywood legends Rock Hudson and Doris Day light up the screen in Pillow Talk. A charming romantic comedy that features Day as an uptight interior decorator, Jan Morrow (Day), who is forced to share a telephone party line with carefree playboy Brad Allen (Hudson). Having never met they spend their time quibbling over phone time and generally have no use for one another. However, when the two accidentally meet in person, sparks fly and the smitten Brad pretends to be a wealthy Texan, and begins wooing Jan with dinner dates and late-night calls. Though flattered by this "stranger's" attention, it's not long before she discovers his true identity. Now, it's her turn to have a little fun...at his expense! Featuring timeless songs by Doris Day and scene-stealing performances by Tony Randall and Thelma Ritter, this is a light, fun and entertaining film that will sweep you off your feet.

Parental Guide:

This film contains mild thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Pillow Talk comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo sound that has an average bitrate of 1.8 Mbps.

Part of Universal Studios 100th Anniversary Collector's Series Pillow Talk has undergone a digital restoration. Purists may argue that the results compromise fidelity but I wouldn't say that is the case from a overall standpoint. This presentation is framed in an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and the restored color palette appears lustrous as primaries and secondary hues look terrific. Fleshtones are warm with a balmy quality that isn't as natural as I would like but doesn't prove distracting. The level of visible detail in facial features, hair and clothing during close-ups is notable but not consistent from a texturally revealing standpoint. Wide angle shots vary in terms of visual penetration but I found the majority of the exterior and interior shots to reveal appreciable levels of refinement and dimension. Resolution is quite good and remains stable over the course of the presentation. Blacks are noise free, stable and fairly deep. Contrast and brightness are balanced well which enliven bright scenes and colors while maintaining discerning levels of visibility and depth during darker segments. Grain is present but inconsistently rendered which appears attributable to the restoration process. The application of digital noise reduction is apparent however I don't see its effects as a blanket that compromises the film's original elements. I think that the overall outcome of the restoration process is generally a positive one that presents fans with the opportunity to see Pillow Talk looking better than it ever has on home video.

There are lossless DTS-HD Master Audio options in mono and stereo flavors. I opted to use the stereo track but did audition the Mono track and neither had trouble presenting the film's recorded elements. The presentation has an open expression with a central primary focus. Clarity and detail are excellent which pays dividends with vocal and music reproduction. Bass frequencies are held to the upper registers which doesn't leave much work for the subwoofer but I never missed them. The dated components in the recording are apparent but I thought it sounded fine.

Bonus Features:

• Back in bed with Pillow Talk - 22 minute featurette

• Chemistry 101: The film duo of Doris Day & Rock Hudson - 5 minute featurette

• Feature commentary with film historians Jeff Bond, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman

• Theatrical trailer

• (HD) 100 years of Universal: Restoring the classics - An in-depth look at the film restoration process - 9 minutes

• (HD) 100 years of Universal: The Carl Laemmle era - 8 minute featurette

• (HD) 100 years of Universal: Unforgettable characters - 8 minute featurette

• My scenes bookmark feature

• Bonus DVD of Pillow Talk

• BD-Live

• This Collector's Series release comes housed in a sturdy Blu-ray Digibook keep case containing reprints of various production related memorabilia, quotes, trivia, actor profiles and photos.

Final Thoughts:

Pillow talk is a fondly influential and purely delightful romantic comedy that showcases the talents of bedroom comedy duo Rock Hudson and Doris Day. It is a charming film that is deserving of the accolades (including an Academy Award for Best Screenplay) that have been bestowed upon it. This Collector's Series Blu-ray Edition from Universal Studios Home Entertainment features newly restored video and crystal clear lossless sound that positively reflect upon this wonderful film. The supplied bonus features are ported over the 2009 50th Anniversary DVD release and include insights from film historians as well as a look at the Day/Hudson tandem. If you're a fan this easily bests any previous home video release and will make a worthy addition to your Blu-ray collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
One of my favorite Doris Day films. Glad to see it's out on Blu-Ray.

Hope to see many more of her films make it out on Blu-Ray in the coming years like Tea for Two, Lover Come Back, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Midnight Lace, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, On Moonlight Bay, That Touch of Mink, The Thrill of it All, Send Me No Flowers, Move Over Darling, Glass Bottom Boat, With Six You Get Eggroll, It Happened to Jane, Starlift, and many more.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is probably the best Doris Day/Rock Hudson film...I believe there were three. One of my wife's favorite films and may be worth the upgrade to BD.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 114
One of Doris Day's better films, I have quite a few on DVD, but at the current Amazon price of $28 I will take a pass until the price drops to something more reasonable. Suspicious that this is timed with coincide with Mother's Day.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

This is probably the best Doris Day/Rock Hudson film...I believe there were three. One of my wife's favorite films and may be worth the upgrade to BD.

Pillow Talk (1959)
Lover Come Back (1961)
Send Me No Flowers (1964)

But really, a rating of 77, lower than that of New Year's Eve?!?!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

But really, a rating of 77, lower than that of New Year's Eve?!?!

That's for video/audio quality only. He gave the film four stars, as compared to NYE's two and a half.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I liked Send Me No Flowers more. Pillow Talk is my 2nd favorite of the three.

Lover Come Back is also great, but easily sits in 3rd.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Love the effort Universal put into the packaging on this bluray digibook release...two thumbs way up!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Pillow Talk Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Pillow by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page